Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

• Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    What wrote: »
    xta wrote: »
    what is the deal with steel?

even though egypt is confusing since it's a new map, i think i already know egypt better than steel

Well you see, Steel is an utterly shit map. Everything about it, shit.

You're the wrongest wrong person who's ever been wrong. It's dynamic, there are multiple paths of attack, you can flank people not only at the point but while they are on their way to the point, matches are balanced just a little towards the Red team... About the only bad thing you can say about it is that it takes some getting used to. I think a lot of people hate it because they get lost and wander into the last cap and don't realize there's a sniper watching it for scoots.

Also I can't wait to play it with the FoN. Fighting people on E is going to be absolutely amazing.

I hate it because it's a boring kill-fest that takes place in overly cramped quarters outside of point B.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    both science and steel are shit

so are the new weapons

*yawn*

Do you have a poorly xeroxed newsletter I could subscribe to?

yes actually

i wrote it in 9th grade

it's probably a bit too deep for the likes of this crew

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    whoops did not see thread title my b

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hated Steel for a long time but now I like it a lot. It just takes some getting used to to learn the layout, but even after playing it a bunch I still get lost sometimes. I love the battles for E though, they can be very intense and a lot of fun. I like having the option of capping E as well as the current open point, and the "oh shits" feeling you get on defense when you're trying to hold them back on B and suddenly there's a scoot on E is great too.

elevature on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty sure I know what kind of response I'm going to get posting in this topic, but I'll do it anyways.

I'm getting a new laptop next week sometime and I haven't been able to play new PC games for quite sometime, so I am VERY excited to get back into it. Do you recommend I pick up TF2 for $10 right now while it's cheap and then install it on my new computer once I get it?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But that's the point. A pair of scouts may not survive at the contested point B/C/D for long, but if they are capping E, that's going to cause at least two or three defenders to veer away from the combat to deal with them.

edit: I'd say go for it, palmer. $10 is a nice price and you'll get lots of playtime out of it.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I know what kind of response I'm going to get posting in this topic, but I'll do it anyways.

I'm getting a new laptop next week sometime and I haven't been able to play new PC games for quite sometime, so I am VERY excited to get back into it. Do you recommend I pick up TF2 for $10 right now while it's cheap and then install it on my new computer once I get it?

If you're gonna buy it anyway, then absolutely.

Sheep on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I fail to see why a thread would be locked for talking about an aspect of the game.

I bet you do.

Echo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If you intend on getting it eventually anyway, yes.

Just register a steam account and buy it [ i'd install steam on what your using now just to make sure it pops up as owned but not-installed none the less, then just reinstall steam and install tf2 when you get your new PC ]

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I suggest YES very much YES.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    c4tch wrote: »
    you are constraining your argument to elements that fall in your favor - which masks how debased your argument is.

Why are you limiting your definition of the absurdity of unlocks just to FPS? why not to all games?

your "argument" is purely opinion driven, and is one that doesn't matter in the face of a system designed to have you earn diversity in your character options.

FPSs are a genre where multiplayer gameplay is primarily limited to direct competition with other players, and in the case of TF2 it is entirely limited to direct competition with other players. And they are a genre where, in the past, the playing field was level aside from player skill.

So in this way I'd say they are unique, or at least different from most other games (unlockable cars in multiplayer racing games were annoying as well).

I'll accept that TF2 is not the only game ever to go this route, but it is the first that I've played. If CoD4 uses unlockables I'd hate that too.

I'll also point out that when I purchased this game this was not the case. And it's not like I can sell it if I decide I don't like it.

And Steel is fucking awesome y'all need to shut it.
    Echo wrote: »
    I fail to see why a thread would be locked for talking about an aspect of the game.

I bet you do.

Sorry, I'll stop if everybody else does. I'll also go start a "bitching about unlockables" thread. I'm not trying to start shit, or lose us our TF2 thread again, or anything. I guess I just didn't see why this wasn't on-topic for the thread (well, until the title change).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's a simple idea for engie unlock: only level 1, but can't be destroyed while building.

Also, I think this is how sandman works:

1. You aim at a guy or piece of landscape.
    2. Your position and the coordinates you're aiming at are put into ball arc calculation.
    3. The ball will always end up at the exact coordinates your crosshairs were pointing at when you fired, provided it doesn't hit anything else.

This is why it's easier to hit long range rather than hitting strafers. As long as a person's head stays in the same place during the ball's flight, if you got a headshot, it'll always clonk him and YOU DON'T HAVE TO ARC THE BALL. Unless he moves out of the way, then it ends up where his head was.

On the other hand, if you aim ahead of the guy, and your crosshair ends up on a rock 30 feet away, the ball will arc to hit that rock and sail over his head. If there's a wall directly behind him this shouldn't matter.

In sum, that's how I believe you use the sandman - like a sniper rifle, except you have to pay attention to the surrounding area around the head.

Also, balls will disappear if they touch certain textures, particularly the "loosely boarded" texture

Also, you can grab the enemies' balls, but you can't touch your teammates' balls

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But that's the point. A pair of scouts may not survive at the contested point B/C/D for long, but if they are capping E, that's going to cause at least two or three defenders to veer away from the combat to deal with them.

edit: I'd say go for it, palmer. $10 is a nice price and you'll get lots of playtime out of it.

That's why I dislike it so much. It forces it into a map where theres not really one focus of attention, causing skirmishes around the map.

What on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wasn't sure if I was going to pick it up anyways. If it was still $20 I don't think I would. The discount is making me reconsider. Basically, is it worth it for $10? Will I have fun? Haha.

And to the d00d who called me Palmer.. Boosh?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, a bunch of us who are normally City of Heroes players were playing Well last night. Rag and I got a little tired of the scout onslaught and so we were just hanging out on the second floor, busting up their team, hoping the swarm of scouts on our side might capitalize on it. But, of course, they didn't. So, we had an uber... figured we might as well use it.

I didn't survive the trip, but I got a great shot of Rag about to punch the crap out of the scout that just killed me.

A7W8

s3rial one on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    Okay since all of you people who are bitching are magically missing the posts with reasonable arguments in them in favour of ridiculous strawmen how about this then.

It's that way because Valve made it that way and it's their game. They made their opinions on the unlocker clear and if you use it and get banned you have nobody to blame but yourself. If you don't want to play for the achievements or think the achievement system is so dumb that it's ruining the game for you then don't play. Nobody gives a shit how butthurt you are, so stop bitching holy shit.

And now I'm going home so I can play vidya games.

Right.

So "lolbecause" it is. Good job.

So where were my strawmen, again?

EDIT: Ah, I see we have a new thread title. Clever Girl.

ur gunna get banned

we can only hope. I don't care that if you used the unlocker or not, but its you that is keeping this argument alive mcdermott. and its ruining the mood of the thread. we've established that is dumb to argue about this as it is a matter of morals and such. now just move on.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crits seems to be completely broken on Job's.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Paladin wrote: »
    Also, you can grab the enemies' balls, but you can't touch your teammates' balls

and you can never let the balls touch. never

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey I can finally get all those other achievements involving Scouts that I never got before. Neat.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay since all of you people who are bitching are magically missing the posts with reasonable arguments in them in favour of ridiculous strawmen how about this then.

It's that way because Valve made it that way and it's their game. They made their opinions on the unlocker clear and if you use it and get banned you have nobody to blame but yourself. If you don't want to play for the achievements or think the achievement system is so dumb that it's ruining the game for you then don't play. Nobody gives a shit how butthurt you are, so stop bitching holy shit.

Right.

ur gunna get banned

we can only hope. I don't care that if you used the unlocker or not, but its you that is keeping this argument alive mcdermott. and its ruining the mood of the thread. we've established that is dumb to argue about this as it is a matter of morals and such. now just move on.

It's more than dumb, it's... off topic now!

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Paladin wrote: »
    you can't touch your teammates' balls
    We'll see about that!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right.

ur gunna get banned

Not over here, it isn't!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right.

ur gunna get banned

we can only hope. I don't care that if you used the that-which-must-not-be-named or not, but its you that is keeping this argument alive mcdermott. and its ruining the mood of the thread. we've established that is dumb to argue about this as it is a matter of morals and such. now just move on.

do not discuss that-which-must-not-be-named.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So which seems to be the most difficult Scoot achievement to get eh?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've gotten 28 of them now, and I'm sure the last one I get will be the 2004 one.

I'm only at 450 kills or so. :(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right.

ur gunna get banned

Not over here, it isn't!

Thank you.

so i hear the spy gets a bofors cannon?

1214884194311mx4.jpg

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right.

ur gunna get banned

Not over here, it isn't!

Ho ho ho

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That match just now where Kritz wasn't working properly? Horrible.

I know some people hate the Kritz but I seriously felt half naked without the option.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I know some people hate the Kritz but I seriously felt half naked without the option.

wait the kritz is bugged? what the fuck will i do for points now?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Domhnall wrote: »
    John is a bad man. The baseball bat taunt kill is the best type of kill in the game. I'm getting closer to timing it right out of the gates (around when the announcer says 3 but without anyone on the other side (no one taunt battles anymore!) I can't be sure) and the day I manage it shall be fantastic. Only downside is that, unlike the hadouken, it doesn't destroy buildings.
    I'm gonna sneak up on Flippy one day and...BONK!

Pretty sure it's half a second between 3 and 4.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

wait the kritz is bugged? what the fuck will i do for points now?

I'll take a look ASAP. Something is obviously bugged.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Job_41:25 wrote: »
    I'll take a look ASAP. Something is obviously bugged.

Much love Job.

Dump!
    cp_dustbowl0005-1.jpg
    cp_dustbowl0006-1.jpg
    cp_egypt_final0000.jpg
    cp_egypt_final0001.jpg
    cp_egypt_final0002.jpg

And lastly, I think this the most epic screen I have ever taken.
    cp_junction_final0003.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are only 10 people in mine so I'm just going to bounce it. Apologies to everyone that's in there.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Job_41:25 wrote: »
    There are only 10 people in mine so I'm just going to bounce it. Apologies to everyone that's in there.

Yeah also it's been crashing and lagging randomly.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Out of curiosity, how well does the energy drink work against sentries? Does it make them miss enough that you can sprint past them?

jothki on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how well does the energy drink work against sentries? Does it make them miss enough that you can sprint past them?

It makes you invincible to everything for a short period of time

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's basically an uber that lasts for much less time (maybe 3 seconds?) and you are slower afterwards. I didn't notice whether or not it made me actually run faster while under its influence.

/damn now I am the beaten one

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Yeah and I get the feeling it's made for CTF maps but you can also use it to distract sentries while people destroy them which is a little cheap imo.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone else noticing if you drink a BONK! and jump near an enemy SG it will still push you back? To me it seems as if those shots count as a miss, there should be no knock back.

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awesome screenshot for new thread:
    cpgranary00241.jpg

theantipop on
This discussion has been closed.