Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    X3x3non wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the baseball. Stun mechanics in PvP games are always an iffy proposition. They're frustrating for the recipient, which means people are having less fun. Plus, it often means death once you're stunned, but it's even more frustrating because you have to sit there and watch it happen. At least when a sniper gets you, it's instant.

from pages back but I have to agree with this. Being rooted is sort of a novelty right now, but after only one day I am already peeved when I get struck by a baseball.

well.. it's not fun to get backstabbed, either. and yet-

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had to disabled sourcemod again till I can figure out what's crashing the server.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whoever said you can't use the unlocks together is doing the wrong things.

Scouts should be flankers not killers.

My strategy, lead in with the Sandman, then FaN as close as you can to try and finish em, either way BONK to get out of dodge.

Goose! on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno, the FaN triple jump is too good to pass up for me.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Savant wrote: »
    So, I had some ideas for some engineer unlockables. Tell me if these seem at all reasonable:

Target beacon (pistol replacement): Throw/launch a beacon where your sentry and enemy sentries will fire at it for a few seconds if in range. Useful to distract enemy sentries momentarily so your teammates can try to take them out (or throw it at an engie in a sentry nest to watch hilarity ensue) or to redirect your sentry to fire in a desired direction.

Wrench replacement (needs name): Hitting constructing buildings will make them build quite a bit faster than the regular wrench. The trade off could be either it swings slower (so you get slower damage and it is slower to upgrade and repair existing buildings) or it would take a lot more metal to upgrade or repair buildings. The point would be to make the engineer with this be a bit more mobile than the standard sentry nest style play.

maybe make it build/upgrade 30% faster for 15% more metal, remove the abiltity to crit and it takes more swings to remove saps

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Engineers will get mortars and some sort of really badass offensive weapon.

McAllen on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Goose! wrote: »

My strategy, lead in with the Sandman, then FaN as close as you can to try and finish em, either way BONK to get out of dodge.

The scattergun does more damage than FaN, all you are getting with FaN is knockback, which actually lowers your damage, negating the higher rate of fire. Given the terrain, knocking a medic far enough away to stop him from healing can be a lot of luck, better just beaning him with the bat then killing him.

If you want to use FaN's knockback, you are better off not taking sandman, so you can get into weird positions to throw them around where you want. And evade better while you are reloading.

And bonk just sucks, there is too much that ignores it to really make it useful compared to it's drawbacks. Keep the pistol so you have something that can do a little damage at medium range, especially if you want to take FaN.

Morkath on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dispatch from the Department of Repeatedly Repeating Repeated Repeats:

This is my summary of my experience of the first night of the Scout update:
    batterup.jpg

---

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

The Smoke Bomb

Unlockable weapon for the Sniper. Replaces the SMG. Throws out a small pellet that is strongly affected by drag and gravity. When it hits the ground, it releases a cloud of dust in the color of the team of the Sniper that threw it. Members of the Sniper's team see a thin translucent gas; members of the opposite team see an opaque cloud. Its intended use is to give the Sniper an extra window of opportunity when firing around a corner that the enemy is watching; he throws out the Smoke Bomb, steps into the cloud, and takes a shot relatively safe from return fire (though splash damage and spraying weapons like the Heavy's minigun may still have a good chance at jostling his aim). The short range prevents the Sniper from using it too much as an offensive weapon, though if he has the high ground he might be able to drop it onto a group of enemies to disorient them while his allies attack. Limited ammunition and the addition of a weapon swap and deployment to the Sniper's strafe-fire-retreat cycle prevent it from becoming a staple technique.

---

Dispatch from the Department of Fridge Logic:

Speaking of the Sniper, it strikes me that "bludgeon their wife with a golf trophy" is a rather obscure and specific example. Might there be more to the Sniper's story than we've been lead to believe?

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the sniper should get a boomerang that flies out and hits someone who he's previously headshotted. And it can travel around corners.

Also, soldiers will get homing rockets and everyone will scream

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kupi, your spoiler is what I saw the first night of the update, but you seem to have missed the other 23 of them. ;)

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

The scattergun does more damage than FaN, all you are getting with FaN is knockback, which actually lowers your damage, negating the higher rate of fire. Given the terrain, knocking a medic far enough away to stop him from healing can be a lot of luck, better just beaning him with the bat then killing him.

If you want to use FaN's knockback, you are better off not taking sandman, so you can get into weird positions to throw them around where you want. And evade better while you are reloading.

And bonk just sucks, there is too much that ignores it to really make it useful compared to it's drawbacks. Keep the pistol so you have something that can do a little damage at medium range, especially if you want to take FaN.

Um.

2 shots from the fan take a heavy to about 1 hp.

Im getting way more kills, way easier, with the FaN. After 100 hours of scout.

The BONK is amazing, if you use it. IE, against turrets. Bonks biggest upside is on CTF maps and against sentries. back in the day, there were many areas a scout had to just sit back and wait for his team, or change class, because he cant get by. This is most notable on payload maps, and on the first cap of stage 3 dustbowl. Now you can bonk past choke points, flank, and own

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What?

The FaN does exactly the same damage as the scattergun.

The exact same.

Only it has only two shots and catapults your target away from you.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What?

The FaN does exactly the same damage as the scattergun.

The exact same.

Only it has only two shots and catapults your target away from you.

It has a denser spread which could increase the overall damage it does since more pellets hit.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey guys, i'm so much cooler than you...look at all my minions!
    beast_fortress_1.gif
    beast_fortress_2.gif
    beast_fortress_3.gif
    beast_fortress_4.gif

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    1)
    Much better burst damage

2)Im not convinced. Yes, I read the 20% more pellets 20% less damage thing, but im wondering if there something silly like how the damage ramps up per number of pellets or something.

All I know is im getting way more kills now.

Also, the knockback is super useful against classes like heavy. Disorients them enough to finish them off. Whereas if you get in their back and shoot them with a scatter, they are gonna superfast180 on ya and YADADADADADADADADADADADA KABOOM

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sorry, Cango. It might feel more powerful, but its not.

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Force_a_nature

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Scattergun

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man the tf2 forums...
    every thread is
    i hat basball

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I take that back after reading http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Force-A-Nature . Theyve been fairly accurate in the past.

Still, burst DPS is nice, and the knockback disorients my enemy more than me. I can track him quicker than he can get readjusted.

The steam forums are terribad.

People will complain about scout for 2 weeks, like they did with pyros at that update, and Heavys at theirs, just like they will with every update.

Cango's scout tip of the day: Dont play the scout like a pyro. Ambushing is good, flanking is good, but theres a second concept to Hit and Run. The Run part. If the fight isnt 100% on your terms, get out of there. Its quicker to run to a health kit, or your spawns health cabinent, than to wait to respawn Always weapon haggle, always run to heal, never fight fair.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed / you were aware of this but I was browsing through all the TF2 assets in Gmod and came across these to name a few.

cp_dustbowl0017.jpg

Descriptions list them as grenade beartrap, grenade with heal, tranq, nailgun and grenade nailbomb.

I want these in game now.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That FAN trick jump video link isn't working for me, it loads an adobe flash window that promptly disappears in a half second.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    probably the weapons used in tf2 beta or something.

Fuga on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would love a grenade that healed people.

I would pull the pin and shout

" I WISH YOU NOTHING BUT GOOD HEALTH "

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    MindspreadMindspread Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That FAN trick jump video link isn't working for me, it loads an adobe flash window that promptly disappears in a half second.

you're using Firefox 3 I'll wager...

Mindspread on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have spent entirely too long regurgitating some fun stories from TF2 Pro Gayming (TF2: Neckbeards and Shut-Ins Edition) in an unrelated thread, in painfully painful detail. I figured a couple of you (literally, a couple of you) like me play far too much Internet Shooty Mans Game and might get a kick out of them! So here's a linky-link for when you have a lot of free time on your hands.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually FaN does less damage.

Say each pellet does 10 damage and there are 10 pellets in a shot. That means there is a potential of 100 damage with the regular scatter gun. Now with the FaN you have 8 damage per pellet with 12 pellets in a shot. That means you have a potential of 96 damage with the FaN.

Now I estimate the scatter gun fires 1 round every second. That means if you are taking two shots you are going to be placing 100DPS for those two seconds of firing. Now with the FaN you have a -50% firing speed so it will fire about 1 round ever 1/2 second. That means for those two shots you are placing 192DPS.

So with this, if you can aim well and make use of the knockback then the FaN is better. Make use of knockback by aiming up a little so the first shot places their chest were your second shot will be, then run away while reloading.

Overall for someone who has a hard time hitting stuff the scatter gun is better. If you have good aim though the FaN can really help a harassing scout.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Actually FaN does less damage.

Say each pellet does 10 damage and there are 10 pellets in a shot. That means there is a potential of 100 damage with the regular scatter gun. Now with the FaN you have 8 damage per pellet with 12 pellets in a shot. That means you have a potential of 96 damage with the FaN.

Now I estimate the scatter gun fires 1 round every second. That means if you are taking two shots you are going to be placing 100DPS for those two seconds of firing. Now with the FaN you have a -50% firing speed so it will fire about 1 round ever 1/2 second. That means for those two shots you are placing 192DPS.

So with this, if you can aim well and make use of the knockback then the FaN is better. Make use of knockback by aiming up a little so the first shot places their chest were your second shot will be, then run away while reloading.

Overall for someone who has a hard time hitting stuff the scatter gun is better. If you have good aim though the FaN can really help a harassing scout.

nerd

tofu on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That "health" grenade is of course the holy hand grenade, you realize.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That "health" grenade is of course the holy hand grenade, you realize.

one... two.... FIVE!

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mindspread wrote: »

you're using Firefox 3 I'll wager...

Is that... bad? o_O

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I picked up the Sidewinder X5. Any recommendations as to what I should set the extra buttons to?

8954054_ra.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bind them all to explode.

tofu on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For most classes, with a five-button mouse I find this setup works best.

Mouseup: Primary.
    Mousedown: Secondary.
    Mouse4: Melee.
    Mouse5: Talk.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

cp_dustbowl0017.jpg

I am sure somebody has mentioned...but that looks like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, the one that Brother Maynard carries.

Obviously it heals...so it won't blow thine enemies to tiny bits. Or maybe it would heal allies but blow enemies into tiny bits. That would be really nice to throw down during like the last push on payload, or while capping the last CP.

EDIT: Figured I would be beat

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope they don't implement that Tranq gun. If Metal Gear Online has taught me anything, it's that there's nothing more frustrating than being tranq'd and having nothing to do about it but yell at the TV "WAKE UP, DAMMIT!"

Igort on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Igort wrote: »
    I hope they don't implement that Tranq gun. If Metal Gear Online has taught me anything, it's that there's nothing more frustrating than being tranq'd and having nothing to do about it but yell at the TV "WAKE UP, DAMMIT!"

The tranq gun in TFC, which is a bit more relevant, was pretty fun. It was rare to actually get hit by it though.

Shens on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And it didn't knock you out, just slowed you down.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I hope the engineer gets the nail gun and it allows him to heal his equipment from afar.

It should also come with a lot of sweet new taunts.

tofu on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And it didn't knock you out, just slowed you down.

I would hope they do a little more with it though. Maybe make it a bit like the pill bombs. Have crazy shit flying around you.

Shens on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Igort wrote: »

So basically, the sandman?

elevature on
This discussion has been closed.