Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] Legends Lost (Game Thread)

ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
Welcome Group 1!

This is a game thread for a game of D&D 4th Edition, DMed by me, your friendly neighborhood mindtaker (ooEEoo).

The Adventuring Party:
Braelani - Eladrin Fighter - Dortmunder
Eyes - Elf Rogue - Rainfall - No longer with us.
Amanae - Elf Avenger - Psolms
Alaen - Longtooth Shifter Ranger - Arasaki
Niltsair - Eladrin Wizard - Arcsyn
Cain - Human Druid - DVG
Pip - Halfling Bard - Dajian

If you can, please make sure you have details for all your powers (at least attack type, range, damage and effects) because I cant get on Wizards at work, but I can get on myth-weavers. We're gonna open with a low-level adventure and stay relatively modular, so if schedules become an issue we don't totally fizzle without closure.

In the interest of me not having to learn a new system right now, this will be a PbP game. This thread is combined IC/OoC - try to keep OoC in spoilers. rolls on invisible castle (basically, if you have looked at Denada's game, you've seen what to do).

The goal of this is to have a good time, tell an epic story together, and kick some bad guy ass. I have some ideas, some hooks, some fun twists and turns, but this is our story, and it will change with the PCs' decisions.

Feel free to PM me (or just ask OoC) any questions, comments, etc. Oh, and yes, I aped this entire opening from the other thread. Or maybe I wrote this one first. You may never know.

PCs will be expected to post once daily. Obviously if someone else is holding you up due to initiative order or I don't get a post/reply up until too late in the day for you, I understand. But if someone starts missing a bunch of posts, they'll be removed and/or replaced.

Setting background (this is more so I don't forget the names of any of these places than anything):
Starting Town/City:
River's Watch:
Ages ago, it was a supply outpost along the great river Thareyn, but it has since adapted and grown into robust city with the passing of time; beginning in one of the ancient wars, when the supply outpost became reinforced as a fort and barracks, to defend ships' safe passage out to sea and up to the larger cities inland.

When Humans first rose to power in the region, the town became a bustling trade city.

For interracial peace and to assure worldwide trade, the Humans later gave the eastern side of the river to the Dwarves in exchange for passage under the Umbril Peaks. Once there, the intrepid dwarves built a colossal stone archway between the two sides of the river, which still stands and is a focal point of local lore.

In the interim years, the town has swelled and dwindled nearly a dozen times with war, famine, and political upheaval being the most noted among the causes.

Recent times are little different, though a calm has settled on the town. The world has been recently (read: couple hundred years past) ravaged by a war that seems to have shifted the very Planes, leaving most people simply trying to live their lives in peace. Since the war, the world has been relatively turmoil-free; a few kingdoms have been reorganizing themselves, but most people are unaffected as of yet, including the town of River's Watch. And between travelers crossing the river via the bridge and the ships making their way up and down river, the town has settled in as a boisterous trading crossroads. As such, it is equipped with several Inns of varying pedigrees, and even has a tavern that isn't also an Inn (which is notable in that it's quite a rarity to prosper entirely on the profit of food and ale); it is the Cheeky Friar, which caters primarily to passing sailors.

The songs of the Last War still cut the night air in all the taverns, telling tales of lands across the Ocean, epic battles, and the heroes that fought them. These tales are never remiss to include the fact that heroes came of all races and creeds, and these same sentiments are seen on the streets every day; there is no consideration for race, only character (though one can frequently tell ancestral nation at a glance for most any race, such as taller, darker humans coming from the arid plains, while the shorter hail from the snowy south).

Recently, River's Watch has seen another group take up residence, members of the Historical Excavation and Lore Preservation Society (HELPS). They investigate the bardic stories from towns around the world and try to find proof of what kernels of truth may have birthed the legends. The group believes that the plains just east of the town hold some lost secrets. They have begun an archeological dig on the site and have already come up with sufficient enough finds that the Mayor of River's Watch is hosting their leader, Junah, and arranged with the Crimson Palm and the Golden Iris (two of the most prominent local inns) to house the group until further notice.
Overall information:
Map:
Agro.jpg
Planet:
Planes are traditional D&D setup, though perhaps with slightly less overt interaction. The planet is called Earth; easier than making something up, and terms like "Earthsoul" and "earthen" still make sense. The continent (Agro - yes it's named after the horse from Shadow of the Colossus) on which the PCs' civilization exits is huge - think Asia-sized - but the cold is to the south and warm, equatorial conditions to the north. Also, unlike Asia, where half of Russia is tundra or snow-covered, there is some tundra, then enormous snow-covered mountain ranges through which no one has ever fully passed, though that's few have even bothered trying (more than the first few mountains in, which do house some dwarven and goblin settlements, the sun doesn't even reach past the peaks and storms are frequent, making it too harsh to traverse). There are rumors of continents beyond Agro to all sides, but there is very little in the way of evidence.
Civilizations:
All civilized races coexist relatively amicably. This does not mean the world is without Evil, just that each race tends to dabble in such pursuits pretty equally; in fact, the groups with the most evenly distributed numbers of each race are bandits, followed closely by adventurers, major secular societies, religious organizations, and sailors.

Also, though it isn't uncommon to see just about any race anywhere, many locations have what were once racially-exclusive, and still racial majority, cities. For example, the Dwarven city of Untra, which occupies the caverns beneath a mountain of the same name, is home to mainly Dwarves (~40%) and Drow(~20%). Many above-ground non-fey-built cities are predominantly Human, because their comparatively short lifespans lead them to have more kids (4 kids/couple on average, versus the 2/couple averages of most other dominant races). For examples of Human-y cities: Caemlyn is about 60% Human, as is the seaside port city Bianca. Fey-built cities are, naturally, Eladrin and Elven-dominated, the two races accounting for more than 70% of the population of Nirava, while the desert town of Kah'mell is Dragonborn run.

Few are left that remember the Last War. Most who survived it were either too young to know what was going on or old enough that they've long since passed (it was close to 400 years ago). Even accounts of current events tend to distort much of the news (there are no telephones, so it's much like playing a game of telephone...does that make sense?), which is why HELPS was formed, to try and piece together the facts about the war and times before (many records of previous ages were lost when the cities were besieged).

In the rebuilding that has followed the last Age, there has been very little warring; militias of neighboring regions have occasionally disputed the edges of dominions, but investigations by regional commanders usually reveal it to be nothing more than a ploy for one side or the other to get a prime piece of farmland, hunting ground, etc. Most people simply try to make a living farming or trading, and devotion to many widely varying religious sects keeps most people just praying that no war does erupt, though political manuevering is starting to become prevalent in some areas, especially important trade hubs where tariffs are the prime source of native wealth. (note: Crime does exist. I'm just pointing out that there's no current global plight or major criminal syndicate. Yet.)
Magic:
The War was fought with more than steel and flame - Magic played a very large role. In the years since, it's been one of the quickest aspects of everyday life to rebound, thanks to the packrat-ish nature of most magic-wielders (many tomes and volumes of magical and planar lore have been easily recovered, though I'm sure you guys will find there are plenty still itching to be uncovered again).

It's not exactly commonplace to be a Wizard (or other magic user: this includes clerics, shaman, warlocks, etc.). A town the size of River's Watch probably has one resident magic-user who does fortune-telling, minor healing, and advises the local political powers from time to time. There are also probably a handful (on the high side) that could be trained, but most could never master much more than cantrips and basic healing spells. Even so, enough people can use such power, and enough functional magical equipment survived, that despite often being impressive everyday magic isn't really surprising to people (it's not "witchcraft" nor that sort of unclear LotR stuff; it's magic).

Some examples that are common knowledge of everyday uses of magic:
In Bianca, they have central rooms in most of their larger buildings that use magic to move between floors (called "Levetators"). Untra is lit by large, opaque globes on poles and mounted against walls throughout that provide light whenever anyone is near. Ocean-worthy ships often use magical enchantments or have resident Clerics, Shaman, or other magic users that can calm the seas and direct the winds. On the western side of the continent there is a group of islands that move up and down the coast hundreds of miles, some of which even submerge entirely from time to time (people aren't clear on why). There are plentiful magical creatures in the world, from simple wood sprites and satyrs to plane-shifting beasts, and many cities have still-functioning ancient wards barring vermin from entering.

Get your game on!

Your group's beginning is focused in the Golden Iris, an esteemed local Inn. Rolfus is the barkeep, a stern fellow who keeps the crowd in line. Rumor has it that he was a tough who protected tradesmen on the roads to and from River's Watch before he wooed, married, and settled down with the Half-Elf (Fiona) owner of this fine establishment. The smell of food still lingers but most of the room has turned to ale and the Bard's tales for their fare at this point. Many of the clientele are members of HELPS, as evidenced by their dust-stained wardrobe and packs with picks and woven metal screens resting beneath their seats.
Mingle, pick a fight, pick the brains of the NPCs, what-have-you. I'll have something a little more substantial for you all tomorrow but for the time being I figured we all needed to get to know each other (and more to the point, the PCs do) Plus, I wanna make sure everyone knows which thread to visit before they lock the recruitment thread.

Horseshoe wrote: »
Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
Themindtaker on
«13456722

Posts

  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eyes spun the shuriken around her fingers, watching the metal dance in the firelight as she waited for Rolfus to pour her another ale. "A well-spun ballad, bard. I envy your talent!" She smiled, taking a drink the moment the barkeep placed the ale in her hand.

    Rainfall on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alaen approached the bar, avoiding contact with the people crowding the area. It was busier now than at any other time he had been here, and the large crowd was making him nervous. After so long spend in the wilds, any gathering of people made him uncomfortable.

    He nodded to Fiona as she managed the bar. "Two dressed bucks pay for my drinks and board for the night?" He hoped that it would be sufficient. The bounties had dried up lately, and he didn't want to either dip into his coin supply or spend yet another night with the stars for a blanket.

    Arasaki on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The old druid walks up to the bar, smiling genially, and engages the barkeep like an old friend. "Rolfus! It has been a very long time, indeed. How is your wife? I was very sorry I was unable to attend your wedding, of course, but being so deep in the forest at the time I don't know how I would have found time to get away. You did get my gift, I trust? Oh, I shouldn't... alright, one drink, but only if have it with me."

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With a flourished and perhaps too deep bow Pip accepts Eyes’ praise,
    “Praise from a beautiful elf is always well received.

    Your talents have not gone unnoticed as well. It is no small thing to have skill with a blade as you have displayed.

    How about I buy you another drink and you can tell me your name and what fortunes you seek here in River’s watch.”

    Note: Pip is not trying to pick Eyes up. He is generally flattering to most he meets.

    Dajian on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fiona smiles and nods to Alaen, accepting his offer by setting a pint in front of him.

    If Pip was paying attention to that exchange, he would be able to put together that the crowd from the excavation had been around long enough the Golden Iris was starting to take a hit from the "mayoral buddy" discount the HELPS members were getting, and so two bucks (ha! it's like money) was more than enough for the night. He probably wasn't paying attention though, because there was an Elf who looked in need of his company.

    Rolfus grins at Cain and pours them both a drink, happy to talk to someone who is just interested in shooting the breeze and isn't trying to glean some gem of ancient knowledge out of him (as the more tenacious HELPS members tended to do, even though he had only lived here a few years).
    "Oh, yeah, it was amazing. The Mayor himself did the honors, both sides'a Fi's Family came, ya shoulda seen it..."

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll get into some actual adventuring-related stuff once everyone's posted at least once (so I know we're all here).

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    braelani_tiny.jpg
    Braelani sat quietly at a table near the wall. The place was busy tonight, mostly those historians but a few adventuring types as well.

    A halfling bard provided the entertainment which was pleasant enough. His last song reminded her of a lullaby her father used to sing to her.

    How did it go?

    She idly swirled a glass of rose wine and hummed the tune to herself. She couldn't stand being alone these days. Earth was different than the Feywild, not just physically.

    There was something in the air, something different...some days it was hardly noticeable, others it was like a heady perfume. It affected her in ways she would have hardly imagined.

    Her cheeks flushed at the memory and she hid her face in her glass.

    At least there are no children here.
    I'm assuming none of us have met before, unless we explicitly imply such?

    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just got on today and saw the results and bookmarked this thread. Will post a bit later today as I have some work piling up at the moment. Just wanted to let you know that I am here.

    ArcSyn on
    OSvv7zs.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    I'm assuming none of us have met before, unless we explicitly imply such?
    That was my assumption. It's totally up to you; whether you all went to the same preschool, or if I have to come up with some situation to round you all up into a group, or something in between. The PC interactions are entirely up to yous guys.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was my assumption. It's totally up to you; whether you all went to the same preschool, or if I have to come up with some situation to round you all up into a group, or something in between. The PC interactions are entirely up to yous guys.
    Ok, as far as the other players are concerned, I'm using the same background I posted in the recruitment thread:

    Braelani is an Eladrin spear fighter built on mobility and evasiveness.

    She has left the Feywild to escape a vengeful rival (her sister) who has tried to kill her, twice, and is now traveling Earth hoping to get her life back on track.

    After spending some time in Nirava getting used to Earth culture, she has made her way to River's Watch in search of...something she can't quite identify. Destiny? Fame? Fortune? None of these seem likely...yet still she is drawn to the city, as if it were a lodestone on her soul.

    One of the side-affects of being on Earth (she is now discovering, to her chagrin) is a re-awakening of her fey instincts. These tend to manifest themselves as a sudden urge to kidnap human babies, and place them within a mushroom ring deep in the forest as an offering to the Faerie Queen.

    So she's relatively new to the area - probably doesn't know too many people yet.

    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am just going to throw in my character motivation for being in River's Watch so others have an easier time interacting with him.

    Pip is a bard and as such is drawn to great stories. He heard of the HELPS operating near the town and came to earn some coin and see if there is a story to be had.

    In addition Pip is no common story teller or musician he has been gifted with power arcane and though its use is subtle he wields it with precision. He will try and attach himself to any group of adventurers that form to seek out more power and stories to tell.

    Dajian on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since everyone else is doing it.

    Cain is a late sixties human who has been traveling the Earth since his legs would carry him, and may have made a short trip to the Shadowfell or Feywild in his day. He is an adventurer to his core, and is always on the lookout for other travel-minded sorts to travel with. He can speak almost every language (except those not available to first level characters) and is, some would say, inconveniently sharp. Despite his age, he can still spot pick-pockets with the best of him and can almost always tell when he is being told a lie.

    Like the Bard, he is also a storyteller, and while there is no arcane magic there, his tales have their own sort of magic, like fairy tales. Think of him as an amalgam of Edward Bloom from Big Fish, Bilbo Baggins in his later days at the Shire, and Grandpa Simpson.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alaen was exiled from his village for killing an intruder at a young age, and has survived in the wilds hunting for meat and collecting bounties. He's been in the area for about 20 years and keeps to himself. He doesn't go into the town itself very often, but he does go in to trade and collect bounties, as well as to try to connect to other people when the mood takes him.

    Arasaki on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Her wine glass was empty.

    She sighed, tucked her traveling pack under the table and strode over to the bar where Fiona had just set a mug down in front of a feral-looking man, some sort of woodsman.

    She indicated her glass and set it down on the bar with a few coins while Fiona smiled and uncorked the bottle. The wine, some local rosé, was refreshing enough, and helped keep her mind off the past few weeks.

    The man next to her smelled...different. That combined with his appearance hinted at some kind of bestial heritage, though she couldn't put her finger on it.

    Fiona topped off the wine glass and scurried off to answer a call from the kitchen.

    She turned to the man and raised her glass. "Braelani."

    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alaen glanced at the female to his left. He'd never seen such a creature before, and her scent was unique among the beings in the inn. Taking a deep draught of his beer, he heard her offer her name.

    Turning to face her, he responded to Braelani's introduction.

    "Alaen." Studying her for a moment, he chose his next words carefully. "What brings a being such as yourself to this place?"

    Arasaki on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    'A being such as myself'? There is much hidden behind that statement. Careful girl.

    "There are many answers to that question," Braelani smiled and lowered her glass, "but the simplest is that I needed to be around people tonight."

    "Out there," she glanced at the door, "it's easy to get lost." She let that hang in the air for a moment, then returned her gaze to the woodsman.

    "And you, Alaen? You seem to be one who is more accustomed to a night under an open sky." She tilted her head over her shoulder, where an older man was talking to the bartender. "Like that one."

    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "The name's Eyes, and I'm looking for excitement. The city's dull, these days."
    Eyes grinned, taking another swig of her ale as she watched the rest of the room from the corner of her eye.
    "How about you? A traveling bard? What's it like?"
    Backstory: Eyes has spent her life in River's Watch, doing various criminal activities and enjoying herself. These days, she's looking for something a bit more exciting than the usual fare, though.

    Rainfall on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Question for the DM
    How do you want us to handle skill checks for situations where we don't know for sure which skills are applicable (and to avoid slowing things down by making others wait for back-and-forth from the Player<->DM)?

    Should we just make a best guess, provide the rolls that we think can be used, and let you pick and choose what (if any) of what we've submitted applies?

    Example: Braelani wants to long jump over a wide pit. For sure it's an Athletics check so that will be included. What if she wants to try using her spear to do some kind of handspring / polevault to give her a boost. I would add an Acrobatics check to the rolls submitted, and let you decide if she gets some kind of +2 or whatever to the Jump check.

    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "The life of a bard is filled with travel and adventure.
    Too often those I travel with grow tired of the life and decide to settle down.
    In fact this happened to me once again just recently. A group of adventures, mostly young soldiers from a small town east of here, and I heard of a cave where a band of thieves had buried their treasure. Legend had it that after hiding the treasure they agreed to return in one year to collect it after they stayed out of sight of the local militia for a while. But, the legend continued on to tell a tale of treachery. Each of thieves did not trust the other and one by one they hunted their former brothers-in-arms down and killed each other.

    Now some said the treasure was cursed, but when we found it there was nothing more than a half-mad old man counting and recounting the coins. Poor bastard must have been the last of the thieves.
    Well the young soldiers were happy to bring the man to justice and took home a handsome sum. I am sure they are all married and popping out more little soldier boys by now.

    Not me though I have a need to find more adventure and I think here in River’s Watch is where I shall find it.

    I'll tell you, I have a sixth sense about people and there are some in this bar that are a cut above the rest. People who have a great tale before them and they don’t even know it yet. You Eyes are certainly one of them. The Eladrin there speaking with the Shifter, the older human that seems to know the barkeep, and the finely dressed Eladrin in the corner there reading his book they are the others.

    Eyes I do believe they are the new group I’ve been looking for. I believe they will indeed give me my next great story.

    I’ll be getting a table by the fire and convincing the rest to join me. So, what do you say my elfish thief are you up for a little excitement?"


    Pip will proceed to establish a large round table by the fireplace as his new home. He will use the serving girls to relay messages to each of the other adventurers in the room that there is free drink and food to be had at his table and in return the bard wishes only to hear of their exploits so that he can better craft a new heroic tale. Of course this is just a pretense to get them together so that he can get them to experience new exploits while he tags along.

    Dajian on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    Question for the DM
    How do you want us to handle skill checks for situations where we don't know for sure which skills are applicable (and to avoid slowing things down by making others wait for back-and-forth from the Player<->DM)?

    Should we just make a best guess, provide the rolls that we think can be used, and let you pick and choose what (if any) of what we've submitted applies?

    Example: Braelani wants to long jump over a wide pit. For sure it's an Athletics check so that will be included. What if she wants to try using her spear to do some kind of handspring / polevault to give her a boost. I would add an Acrobatics check to the rolls submitted, and let you decide if she gets some kind of +2 or whatever to the Jump check.
    For the most part, just make your best guess. though, if my dot is orange, it's a safe bet I'm at least keeping an eye on the thread, so questions/PMs would be fine then (when it's orange I'm likely just toodling the interwebs or at work, F5-ing the CF main page every 5-10 minutes).

    If I disagree with a choice you've made or would like you to do something else, there are edit buttons here, so we can just pretend the unhelpful thing never happened.

    EDIT:
    Nice, Dajian. A Leader actually being a leader. Gathering you all together like that ought to make my next step much less convoluted, thank you.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Everyone else feel free to RP your interaction with the serving girls and have them tell you whatever you want that will get you to Pip's table. If free booze and food isn't enough that is :P

    Dajian on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Before Alaen can answer, one of the waitresses appears next to them.

    "Sorry to interrupt - but Pip is asking for you both at his table."

    "Pip?" Braelani raised an eyebrow.

    "Our resident entertainer," she smiled. "Over there."

    Braelani's gaze followed the waitress' outstretched finger to the bard near the fireplace.

    "Interesting. Thank you."

    The young lady moved on to the barkeep and the older gentleman.

    With a look at the woodsman that said I wonder what this is about, the Eladrin collected her wine glass and headed over to the fireplace, keeping an eye on her belongings still at her table.
    C'mon gang - Group A is way ahead of us! :P

    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why is my dude the only one who got insulted? :(

    Rolfus bids Cain goodbye as he goes to serve another customer, leaving the Druid to his mostly empty tankard. A serving girl approaches him.

    "Sir, the gentlemen at the fireplace has asked you to join him at his table..."

    Cain leaves his bar stool and strides over to the table, looking interested at the Bard, extending his hand.

    "Pleased to meet you, name's Cain."

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am going to wait to post my responses until everyone is at the table. So, I can try and weave it all together.

    DVG didn’t mean to insult, but you are an old druid. I just assume all druids are dirty :D

    Dajian on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dajian wrote: »
    I am going to wait to post my responses until everyone is at the table. So, I can try and weave it all together.

    DVG didn’t mean to insult, but you are an old druid. I just assume all druids are dirty :D
    I'm just kiddin', it's cool
    Not dirty tho... :b

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alaen looked over towards the table and the group that was congregating around it. He absently bit his knuckle as he studied them, an almost instictive action that he did whenever he was thinking deeply.

    With a mental shrug, he picked up his drink from the bar and followed Braelani to the halfling's table. Reversing a chair, he sat down and looked over to the bard, a question on his face.

    Arasaki on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    I'm just kiddin', it's cool
    Not dirty tho... :b
    edited my post to take out how smelly you are :P

    Dajian on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just as a point of interest, Eyes, Alaen, Niltsair, and Cain all noticed a middle-aged man enter the bar shortly after Pip's barmaids began making their way around. He sat down at the closest available seat to the door and buried his head in a mug of stout. He looks ashen and somewhat agitated, but he's not causing a scene or anything.
    Dajian wrote: »
    I am going to wait to post my responses until everyone is at the table. So, I can try and weave it all together.

    DVG didn’t mean to insult, but you are an old druid. I just assume all druids are dirty :D

    Also, I'd be careful badmouthing druids. :P

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hah, seriously wasn’t badmouthing them. Just every druid I’ve played with quickly described themselves as caked in dirt and mud and often spoke of their outfits as having twigs and berries hanging off them.
    Bad assumption on my part ;)

    Dajian on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know you didnt mean anything by it. just messing about. for what it's worth, i get the impression that the druid in this game's partner fits that description.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know you didnt mean anything by it. just messing about. for what it's worth, i get the impression that the druid in this game's partner fits that description.
    I've got a partner? Neat!

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    While we wait for everyone to gather at the table and the Bard to...lead us all in a song? Whatever he has planned, I've had a few questions from people regarding your sheets.

    You are allowed to use "Scales of War" article Backgrounds (Dragon 366) but not Forgotten Realms ones since we aren't playing in that setting. Oh, and until you use a skill, ability, or power, you can retrain it.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just as a point of interest, Eyes, Alaen, Niltsair, and Cain all noticed a middle-aged man enter the bar shortly after Pip's barmaids began making their way around. He sat down at the closest available seat to the door and buried his head in a mug of stout. He looks ashen and somewhat agitated, but he's not causing a scene or anything.

    Cain stands up from the table, promising to return momentarily, and heads over to the middle aged man, and attempts to engage him in polite conversation.

    "Good day there, son, you look like you could use another one." Cain waves for another drink.

    "So what brings you in today?"
    Diplomacy = 11

    Insight = 16


    Figured I might as well do something while we wait :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The fellow grunts and looks up. He gives you an appraising once-over and says "I'm not in the mood tonight, sir" and turns back to his mug.

    You can tell he's perturbed, but no clue as to why. You can also tell that he's not in the mood to open up yet, though with another beer or two, he might be more talkative.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well shit

    Cain will wave to the tavern keep for more drinks with which to loosen the man's tongue, whilst telling him a tale of a bad day Cain himself once had when a bad-tempered chimera set fire to his tent.
    Posting from iPhone or I'd write out the story

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    Well shit

    Cain will wave to the tavern keep for more drinks with which to loosen the man's tongue, whilst telling him a tale of a bad day Cain himself once had when a bad-tempered chimera set fire to his tent.
    Posting from iPhone or I'd write out the story
    It's not "well shit." It's just me trying to buy time because I want him to tell his story to the whole table full of you.

    EDIT: Which I will share with you in the morning. well, my morning. Yay work! He'll be drunk by then, feel free to hold the roundtable in the meantime.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Niltsiar notices that his glass of wine has run dry, and calls for the attention of one of the server girls to fill it. She returns with a bottle and informs him that it is courtesy of Pip, who would enjoy your company for another tale.
    Having probably consumed enough wine for his frail physical form already, Niltsiar decides that he is in a good enough mood to humor the halfling. He rises slowly, commanding the disembodied hand next to him to gather his bag as he moves toward the table that Pip has covered with food. Some food would probably be a good idea.

    Upon arriving at the table, Niltsiar starts some faint music using Prestidigitation that sounds similar to what Pip had been singing to earlier that evening. Though he eyes up the others at the table and the man who just entered, he chooses to fill his mouth with bread and cheese, rather than idle talk.
    Sorry for the late arrival. I got slammed at work and was occupied all evening.

    ArcSyn on
    OSvv7zs.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As each of the others finds their way to Pip’s table he greets them each individually and with as much flattery and open kindness as he showed Eyes. He bids each to have a seat at his table, to drink, and to eat.

    As the members of the table grow in numbers it seems various stories and tales seem to grow more epic in comparison. He begins to draw out stories from the others as well getting them to share tales of their exploits by telling them that, “While the HELPers are long on history they are short on excitement. Tell me of your adventures and perhaps I can add them to my set of grand tales.”

    When there is a lull in conversation or if one of the others is telling a tale Pip plays his flute. The others begin to feel comfortable with each other and despite the alcohol and late hour they all feel invigorated, awake, and alert while Pip plays his songs.

    At one point Cain seems to find a kindred soul and leaves to speak with him, but it seems he is rebuffed. With another tune from his flute and another offer of wine extended Pip beckons both Cain and the stranger back to his table.

    Dajian on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cain returns to the table, now far drunker than a person his age has any business being, laughing as he finishes his story to the stranger. "... and if you'd believe it... *hic* the thing flew straight off after I took 'he thorn out of it's paw. Never saw one up close again, too bad too, marvelous creature."

    He sits as he tries to fight back the hiccups..

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not "well shit." It's just me trying to buy time because I want him to tell his story to the whole table full of you.

    EDIT: Which I will share with you in the morning. well, my morning. Yay work! He'll be drunk by then, feel free to hold the roundtable in the meantime.
    Hee, fair enough. I assumed it was the wages of lukewarm rolls :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
«13456722
Sign In or Register to comment.