As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Band of Brothers II: Pacific Thunderer

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So anybody gonna watch dis tonight?

nah.
    of course we are

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    just doing my public service announcement

got a bowl loaded and everything ready to enjoy the fuck out of this

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Holllleeeeee

Shit

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hope to watch this soon

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    2nd viewing held up just as good as the first!

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so they have not put it up on the HBO website like they did with the pilot

are they gonna not do that anymore or

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    John Basilone is incredible.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish I had HBO so bad.

Is it anywhere on line that I can watch?

This actually holds my interest way more than the original because my grandfather was a marine medic in the pacific and he would never talk about it. So I kinda want to have an idea of what went on other than the basic historical facts.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you can get the pilot on hbo.com

not sure if they're going to keep updating

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just finished watching episode two. Talk about harrowing. Er. Not to watch, but to have actually been there.

That last scene? Damn.

Zombies, I was telling Pharezon the other day, my great-grandfather was a Seabee at Guadalcanal and my grandfather was on the USS St. Louis through Pearl Harbor and Okinawa and everything. So I know what you mean. They both were dead before I was old enough to even consider asking them questions.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dear god that was an incredible episode

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Real Marines don't need a glove.

fuck yes

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2010
    So is this another 'realistic' portrayal of war like Saving Private Ryan

Or is realistic like Russian war films where they blow up real horses

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is realistic like Band of Brothers was realistic. Which is to say "very".

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "You gotta write Vera about this."

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Dear god that was an incredible episode
    he picked up that gun with his BARE FUCKING HANDS

OH MY GOD

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I kept hoping to God that in the last scenes they'd cut back to the interview and that one bad-ass "pray and hold-on" guy would hold up his hand showing a burn scar.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish I had HBO so bad.

Is it anywhere on line that I can watch?

This actually holds my interest way more than the original because my grandfather was a marine medic in the pacific and he would never talk about it. So I kinda want to have an idea of what went on other than the basic historical facts.

If your grandfather doesn't want to talk about why don't you tell him about this and if he wants to watch it ask him his opinion about it.

What he did is probably pretty harrowing for him but this way he might be able to talk about it without actually talking about it.

Besides you should probably talk to your grandad more.

Unless he's dead and I'm sorry for bringing everything up.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My maternal grandfather was a a marine in the Pacific. He outright refused to talk about details. He'd gladly, at long length, talk about other platoons and what they did, and talk about "events" in great detail. But never his own. He'd just scowl and say "I'd rather not think about that.".

My ex-wifes grandfather, now there was a man who saw a lot of shit over there and would gladly sit down with you and discuss collecting mementos from "dead japs", and "cutting them down like weeds".

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    I kept hoping to God that in the last scenes they'd cut back to the interview and that one bad-ass "pray and hold-on" guy would hold up his hand showing a burn scar.

I thought the same.

Maybe at the end.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    in fact, one time he was showing me his trunk full of shit from WWII, and I pulled out a leather strap that was cut almost in half. It had apparently belonged to some soldier he had shot trying to sneak up on him. The strap held some satchel of explosives.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm so jealous. I really really wish I'd been able to talk to my grandfather or great-grandfather about their experiences. And I'm about to go to sleep, but Stale, that anecdote just reminded me of the bit where John
    shoots like four Japanese soldiers in the freaking head

I am going to have so much trouble waiting for next Monday night.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The bit where he just opened up on them seemed just a little bit too Rah rah AMERICA! for me.

It doesn't seem to have the same feeling that we got with Band of Brothers, I mean we saw easy company from the begining with training, it's also missing just, I'm not sure what but it doesn't seem as grounded with the characters as the first.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I must have missed it, but whats with the spindly rich boy with the doctor dad?

What does he keep checking for?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Heart murmurs.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Heart murmurs.

And Blake, I agree. While the story is great, I find that I'm not connecting with the characters as much. It's still early in the show and I haven't watched it countless times, but you're right. Something feels...off from a character development angle.

That and Lucky and his group? I mean...we saw them raiding the army crates, saw them get plastered and then saw them suckling at the teat of coffee. Something didn't feel complete about that. Like we're watching the after affects of this massive trauma but...yea, I don't know.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    Berk wrote: »
    I thought this was really good but the music verged too much on yank wank for my tastes
    I dunno I'm not sure how you'd even approach the lunacy of okinawa and have that swelling up in the background.

It doesn't seem right.

"Yank wank" brilliantly sums up a feeling I was having trouble expressing.

I felt the same way. I thought the racially derogatory stuff was a little over the top, too. I wasn't offended or anything, it just felt like they were trying to force the "they're the bad guys and we're supposed to hate them" angle. But I was kinda hoping that it was just because I went in being afraid of that exact thing happening.

The racially derogatory stuff is not even remotely "arr they are the bad guys and you need to hate them"

It is like that because that is what they were like back then. The world was a different place.

What are you dudes talking about? I mean, the marines literally saw other marines with their dicks cut off, and shoved into their mouths by Japanese soldiers. Calling some dude a "Jap" for that kind of shit is pretty mild.

This was the point I was trying to make.

I just left that part out

What part of "I wasn't offended or anything" was so incomprehensible that I got these type of responses? The only reason I mentioned it was because I didn't notice it nearly as much in BoB. And when my original comment was how I'm afraid that they shifted the emotional theme to more of a yank wank (I love that description), as compared to BoB, I just thought that it was a salient observation.

I didn't say you were offended. It wasn't a 'salient observation'. You said " it just felt like they were trying to force the "they're the bad guys and we're supposed to hate them" angle. " Which is wrong. They do that because that is how they spoke back then.

But nobody talked about the Nazis like that?

You mean, other than calling them "Kraut"

And that wasn't even reserved for Nazis. That was a name that was placed upon every German soldier.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No your right Zip I couldn't quite figure out what I was trying to say, but I think it really misses the connection that BoB had. Maybe cause we don't see them going through boot and becoming something else, or the fact that there isn't a real leader figure who is a major character in the show.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Bigass spoiler about Basilone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    The bit where he just opened up on them seemed just a little bit too Rah rah AMERICA! for me.

It doesn't seem to have the same feeling that we got with Band of Brothers, I mean we saw easy company from the begining with training, it's also missing just, I'm not sure what but it doesn't seem as grounded with the characters as the first.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but all that shit did happen. Basilone was given the Medal of Honor, for shit's sake.

It's hard not to be "rah rah America!" when you realize that they aren't embellishing, or making up anything about John Basilone.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I haven't seen the episode yet, but all that shit did happen. Basilone was given the Medal of Honor, for shit's sake.

It's hard not to be "rah rah America!" when you realize that they aren't embellishing, or making up anything about John Basilone.

Blake is just bitter because the closest thing his country has is Chopper Read

or Mick Dundee

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh snap

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

or Mick Dundee

The dude that shot down the red baron more like.

I mean when Dick Winters ran up and just shot a squad by himself, the entire time it seemed really grounded, even though what he did was crazy. I'm had a quick google and this makes it seem what happened on the show is slightly embellished.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

or Mick Dundee

The dude that shot down the red baron more like.

I mean when Dick Winters ran up and just shot a squad by himself, the entire time it seemed really grounded, even though what he did was crazy. I'm had a quick google and this makes it seem what happened on the show is slightly embellished.

Like I said, I haven't seen the episode yet, but what Basilone was given the Medal of Honor for is legendary.

e: also, I forgot about what he did at Iwo Jima too. Basilone was unreal.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I mean I read that link and that's impressive stuff no doubt.

Maybe it just wasn't edited as well as it could have been?

I mean that bit about
    Him fixing the guns, I watched that scene and A) it was hard to make out that it was him, but hey it was night, and B) after he fixed the gun it was really hard to see what he could did. It seemed like one guy said, oh it isn't working! and then he showed up poked it, and then went back to shooting dudes, I wanted to know why the first guy didn't do that! The way it was edited made it seem it was pretty easy to fix.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I mean that bit about
    Him fixing the guns, I watched that scene and A) it was hard to make out that it was him, but hey it was night, and B) after he fixed the gun it was really hard to see what he could did. It seemed like one guy said, oh it isn't working! and then he showed up poked it, and then went back to shooting dudes, I wanted to know why the first guy didn't do that! The way it was edited made it seem it was pretty easy to fix.

If I'm not mistaken it looked like he pulled the firing pin and either reset it or replaced it.

Which frankly is a lot harder then it looked there. They could have done a better job.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Come on, Blake. That's a little nit-picky.

The dude practically held off an entire battalion on his own.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No Krunk, I'm really not trying to say what he did wasn't impressive.

I'm saying that everything he did in the show was disjointed and I don't think it was very well edited and painted him more of a robot superhero rather than a man that literally saved everyone.

And then at the end the dude in charge was all, oh yeah, you're getting a medal.

Like I said, as a comparison the episode where Dick Winters takes on a squad all by himself, was amazing and human and an incredible feat. I never really even thought he was in danger to tell you the truth. It was more, oh look someone else he will kill, possible with a mean stare. They really presented him as a emotionless robot.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No Krunk, I'm really not trying to say what he did wasn't impressive.

I'm saying that everything he did in the show was disjointed and I don't think it was very well edited and painted him more of a robot superhero rather than a man that literally saved everyone.

And then at the end the dude in charge was all, oh yeah, you're getting a medal.

Like I said, as a comparison the episode where Dick Winters takes on a squad all by himself, was amazing and human and an incredible feat. I never really even thought he was in danger to tell you the truth. It was more, oh look someone else he will kill, possible with a mean stare. They really presented him as a emotionless robot.

OK, I can get that.

I'm still stuck on all the people calling this show a "yank-wank" and getting upset about how offensive it is that they call people Japs and whatnot. I'm pretty sure if you were constantly being shot at by some dudes that would sooner cut your dick off and shove it in your mouth (while you're alive, no less), than capture you, you'd be resentful too.

And also how they don't think this is as good as BoB because they can't tell everyone apart right away. I'm pretty sure BoB had that exact same problem. I didn't know any of their names (Winters and Nixon excluded) until I had watched the series 3 or 4 times.

I guess I don't understand it this time because I read Eugene Sledge's book, and it is by far my favorite military history book. I also know the back story of some of the other guys.

Basically, I've had somewhat of a hard-on waiting for this series.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I mean that bit about

First guy didn't have the key to clear the jam in the gun.

Dead Legend on