As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Oh my sweet jesus god there goes my fucking free time again.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Its so complicatied.... but I want to figure it out.

Swords blood .... something. Swords for dps, blood to heal....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    If you got a beta key for last weekend, are you still able to log in for this weekend, or would you need a new this weekend key?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Damn, I keep missing beta keys for this.

dark theres like 30 give aways this weekend?
    If you have pre-ordered The Secret World previously you automatically have access to this Beta Weekend as well. We have also teamed up with several profiled European sites this week and these will be giving away keys for this Beta Weekend specifically. These sites are:
    •Curse (North America incl. Canada)
    •Buffed (Germany)
    •PC Games (Germany)
    •PC Action (Germany)
    •Daily Rush (Denmark)
    •Gamer (Norway)
    •Peliplaneetta (Finland)
    •Fragzone (Sweden)
    •PC Gamer (UK)
    •Now Gamer (UK)
    •JeuxVideo (France)
    •GameKult (France)
    •MondesPersistants (France)
    •Millenium (France)
    •Judge Hype (France)
    •JeuxOnline (France)
    •UniversVirtuels (France)
    •Tweakers.net (Netherlands)
    •9lives (Netherlands)
    •Kanobu (Russia)
    •Pelaajelehti (Finland)

You can use google translate to nab one off the foriegn websites.

Go check out -> http://www.reddit.com/r/thesecretworld/

Many redditor types are just collecting foriegn beta keys and giving them away. If you want in and all.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    If you get a key from one of those foreign sites will it work on the U.S servers though or is Curse the only option?

• Options
    No such thing as a U.S Server. As in, there's only one server period and it rocks pretty good numbers at a time.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I got one from PC Gamer.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I played some of the SWTOR open trial this weekend and man, the quests just seem so boring and dead compared to SW. Urge to preorder is rising.
    Edit: I think I got one from http://www.gamesaktuell.de/The-Secret-World-PC-200536/News/The-Secret-World-Wir-vergeben-10000-Beta-Keys-fuer-das-naechste-Beta-Wochenende-jetzt-sichern-883941/ but I am not 100% sure that it worked, does it say on the account page somewhere?

Neaden on
  • Options
    I got one from PC Gamer.
    Was closed this morning when I checked.

Ah, sorry.
    Earlier this week they said they had 10,000. I didn't think they'd actually run through it all.
    When I get the posts that the beta keys are up at the various places next week, I'll post in here.

• Options
    The german website I posted works. Or at least it did this morning. Whats a good second weapon for shotgun?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Neaden wrote: »
    The german website I posted works. Or at least it did this morning. Whats a good second weapon for shotgun?

hammers share most followed by elemental and pistol.

Via @tricon from this thread
    7021875435_1eb27d7358_o.png

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    I like elemental, the extra range is nice to open up with before the fight starts, then once they close in you can switch to shotguns

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Chaos + fist is, I'm told, and excellent tanking combo. Last weekend I did blades + blood, and found it to be absolutely wonderful. The blood shields allow you to keep your health topped off at all times, and the sword strikes on the mob refill your blood points as a side effect so you don't really have to go out of your way to fire off the blood abilities.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »

hammers share most followed by elemental and pistol.

Via @tricon from this thread
    7021875435_1eb27d7358_o.png
    That's pretty awesome.

But I can't tell if Blades + Blood is a natural combo or a bit redundant. Chaos + Fist sounds pretty awesome.

My understanding is You want things that have the most similar stuff so that there lots to combo off of. So each thing you want the left most as its most compatable. And lower to the right.

Blades and blood are meant for each other....

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Blood and blades goes together so well it isn't even funny.
    I am interested in trying out some other combos though, you only really need one synergy for it to work so perhaps blade+chaos for some frenzy synergy that blood lacks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    So is the game going to be Funcom'd like all their other MMOs? Or did they actually learn their lesson to release a stable, bug-free game for once? I've heard complaints of tons of broken quests and the PvP balance being rather broken?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone at all has seen the PvP, period.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PvP is awful. Very unbalanced and stupid. At least that is what I understand from some friends who play it. But I don't think you can PvP in the open beta.

• Options
    PvP is awful. Very unbalanced and stupid. At least that is what I understand from some friends who play it. But I don't think you can PvP in the open beta.

So basically your friends shouldn't be trusted because they decided "lolfucktheNDA"

From what I've heard the PvP is decently fun, you can give it a go in the Fight Club over in London. And as for the game not being "Funcom'd" well, no MMO is bug-free. None of them, not a single one.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

So basically your friends shouldn't be trusted because they decided "lolfucktheNDA"

From what I've heard the PvP is decently fun, you can give it a go in the Fight Club over in London. And as for the game not being "Funcom'd" well, no MMO is bug-free. None of them, not a single one.
    That's a remarkably out there position to take.

Most people in betas these days will at least give general impressions to their friends.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I can see not posting on official forums, but like... from close friends? If I sat down with my wife or any close friend and they were like "Yeah, I can't tell you ANYTHING about this MMO, I'm under NDA" I would laugh in their face. That is crazy ridiculous.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    that deck builder makes no sense, what does high lighted green or blue skills mean ? whats the difference between the inner circle and the outer circle :P

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I don't think PVP will make or break it for this game, though if they do decide to go back to their earlier plans and implement a PVP-zone that the three faction can vie for they might get some of the PVP crowd. Agartha was supposed to be split up in various hexes or cells, and be a massive free-for-all (faction wise) zone where more control over the zone would translate to PvE and PvP benefits for the faction holding the zone.

Pretty much WvWvW.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Draeven wrote: »
    that deck builder makes no sense, what does high lighted green or blue skills mean ? whats the difference between the inner circle and the outer circle :P

Inner circle has to be filled (to a point?) pre outer circle Outer cirle is where the more specialized cooler better stuff is.

The green and blue are pointing you at skills that play off each other.

• Options
    I don't think PVP will make or break it for this game, though if they do decide to go back to their earlier plans and implement a PVP-zone that the three faction can vie for they might get some of the PVP crowd. Agartha was supposed to be split up in various hexes or cells, and be a massive free-for-all (faction wise) zone where more control over the zone would translate to PvE and PvP benefits for the faction holding the zone.

Pretty much WvWvW.

This exists, there are two battlegrounds that act like... well, battlegrounds. They are just matches, but there's a third much bigger one that is persistent. Corehealer noticed it while dicking around with the UI last weekend.

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The persistent PvP battleground is pretty well detailed in this video (8:55):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mRwkJyL1Lc&t=8m55s

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    My duo partner's character got fucked when we booted up, so we ended up not playing this weekend and just did more Diablo. Oh well.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    DeckBuilder including some tier 2 abilities.

If you need more information about the skills, read the post from SP3CTREnyc hydrainitiative.com/?page_id=13
    By: SP3CTREnyc

When choosing your abilities in The Secret World you will need to factor how your abilities affect enemies. Many abilities do not only inflict damage, but also cause the enemy to enter a specific “state.” There are four states that affect a target, though each state is really a group of different effects. The different states, and the weapons that best take advantage of these states, are:

Afflicted – Targets that are afflicted suffer from a persistent DoT effect. Active abilities can only afflict a target on a non-glancing hit, making passives that boost your DoT potential a key component to those who prefer this tactic. Elemental magic has the best opportunity for people looking to cast DoTs, possessing an ability called Flashpoint that causes an affliction on target and, if that target is already afflicted, chains the DoT to five enemies in a five meter radius. Elemental magic also has Toxic Earth, a passive that hinders targets whenever a DoT is applied by the player. Mind Over Matter afflicts a target on every crit the player causes.

Fist and Assault Rifles both deal DoTs as well. Cagefight and Gore, fist weapon actives, apply DoTs on non-glancing hits. The Assault Rifle, like Elemental magic, only has one active ability available to it that afflicts, but the Shoot ‘em Up passive causes all Frenzy attacks to create an afflicted state on hit targets. Anticoagulant, another Assault Rifle passive ability, causes leech effects to apply a DoT on target.

Hinder – This class includes crowd control debuffs, such as slows and snares. The ranged weapons have most of the game’s hinder abilities; Elemental magic is the only non-ranged weapon that has abilities to slow targets. Shotguns have the most effective slows with active abilities like Kneecapper and Close Quarters that slow a single target by 70%. Pistol has a snare that roots multiple targets for 4 seconds available as a tier 1 active elite.

Assault rifles are the crowd-control weapon class with single-target and multi-target slows. It has some very creative hinders, such as Tactical Retreat which hinders targets with an explosion as you backflip out of danger. Slow the Advance is a very effective tier 1 elite that slows all targets in a 5 meter ground-targeted area of effect. This tree also has two passives that induce hinders: Where it Hurts (afflicted targets become hindered) and Lucky Bullet (every 7th hit causes a hinder, 30 sec internal cooldown.)

Impair – Anyone affected by an impair will find themselves knocked back, stunned, or otherwise unable to move or cast abilities. With four actives that can impair targets, hammers are the weapon type that gives the player the greatest opportunity to inflict a knock-back or “knock-up” (no fun intended here.) The elite ability Eruption will put affected targets in the air for one second. Shockwave, Beatdown, and Glasgow Kiss apply traditional knock-backs to targets that are non-glanced.

You can also impair targets with fist weapons and chaos magic. Fist weapons offer Go for the Throat and Bushwhack which both silence enemies. Chaos magic has Domino Effect, a player-based area of effect that pulls targets towards you and then knocks them back, causing them to be impaired (lying on the ground) for a duration based on the amount of chaos resources expended. Helter Skelter, a dash ability, knocks targets into the air for a second. Chaos magic also has a tier 2 elite ability called Black Hole, a target-based AoE that deals damage to a target and both damage and a knock-back to any enemy that moves outside of a 5 meter range of that target.

It is important to note that some spectres have an ability that silences the player for several seconds.

Weaken – Players or targets that find themselves weakened could have one of three ongoing effects. The first, Debilitated, reduces the amount of damage that target can deal. The player can access three passives that buff corresponding active abilities to cause this effect. They are Insult to Injury and Below the Belt for the Hammer and Sawed Off for the Shotgun.

If affected by Exposed, targets will take increased damage. A single stack of this effect applies a 3% debuff for 10 seconds, but it can be applied up to ten times for a total of 30%. Chaos magic provides the best opportunity to apply this effect with Uneven Ground and Escalation as active abilities and Breakdown and Contradiction as passives. Stones Throw, a tier 2 hammer ability, will stack Exposed twice on a target. Hammer also hosts a passive that buffs all Blast abilities with a single Exposed stack called Improved Blasts.

Corrupted, the third effect in the weaken state, can only be applied when using The Business ability in conjunction with the Magnum passive. These starter abilities for Pistol weapons cause a 5% debuff to heal, barrier, and leech effects on target that can stack up to 10 times. There are no other player abilities that can inflict this state.

Please take care when choosing abilities that deal with target states. While many abilities in The Secret World do not induce a state, many take advantage of states in order to apply additional damage or even additional states. For better or worse, leveling in TSW is not simply a matter of buying your way to an elite ability as quickly as possible. You might be more effective in spreading your points across cells to gain buffs that induce additional target states or increase damage done to a particular state.

Plus the site has 2 videos from the first polaris dungeon.

• Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    NIce link on the skills, thanks.

I managed to play through the Beta 2 weekend. For anyone on the fence, I'd say its worth a good look. Game reminds me of a pleasant cross between VtM: Bloodlines (flavour, atmosphere, good npcs dialog) and SWG (at launch - the freeform skills system). Still a bit rough around the edges but the basic workings and gameplay are fun indeed. A nice breath of fresh air.

I did not get into the crafting myself. I love the voiceovers and design and the questing is interesting and doesn't seem grindy. I did most of the quests in Kingsmouth that were available until a little voice told me to stop and save something for launch (so I left out the airport and junkyard area quests).

My main quibbles are:

- game needs chat bubbles. The game has a minimal UI and really needs attention to the screen, not a chat box.
    - spell animations are a bit stiff and unpolished. Some work here is needed. Not a huge deal breaker, though.
    - better tooltips on how abilities affect your character, some of them are a bit vague or don't show the right stats (such as stacks of an effect increasing damage).
    - a bit more in the combat physics - shotgun blasts and stuff don't feel terribly visceral.

Blood magic + blades = pretty darn awesome. I wish I could find a firearm set that worked as well as a tank/heal set. Any recommendations?

London is very atmospheric. Any in-game benefit for finding those achievement glowies scattered about? I wasn't able to determine.

Overall, I'm still undecided on faction, guess it really depends on who the hell is on late nights/Pacific. Seems the population runs on Eastern or Greenwhich and the West Coast is hosed.

Anyway, I'm pre-ordered. And I have a Beta 3 weekend key, just hoping they open up another location both to 1) dispell any Tortage fears and 2) so I don't exhaust my newbie experience in Kingsmouth.

Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    Yeah blades&blood are awesome, except the column dash. Easy time killing the elite mobs. If you like dps try shotgun+elemental.
    I did not like double healing with assault+fist or double tank with hammer+chaos. Seems for me you can get more out of it with other combinations even if the have good synergy.

BTW I hope you all know that the crucible in London works like the powerhouse in champions online.

First pickup your first weapon and then talk to the quest npc after that you can enter the room again, anytime you wish. You can get your 2nd weapon this way and more important you can train and untrain anything there.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    @buddylee - Animations will be fixed by launch. they stated many times that its the last thing pre launch they will patch in. the rest of your quiccles are pretty good suggestions ie chat bubbs

I am digging blades and blood.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Keys for the next betaweekend
    The wait is over. Get your key today to be one of 40,000 lucky gamers to experience The Secret World during the beta weekend, June 1st through June 3rd. Explore a modern-day MMO of myths, legends, and conspiracies. Travel throughout the world, from New York to London and from Transylvania to Egypt. Experience a game that has no classes or levels. Just total freedom of play. Join the Illuminati, the Dragon, or the Templar and fight for the power to control the world. Unravel a storyline unlike anything ever seen in an MMO before—brought to life with full DirectX 11 tessellation.

geforce.com

• Options
    Any word on what the beta will be this weekend.

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I don't think there is one this weekend.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    aaaaa boooooooooooooo

• Options
    No Secret World beta, no GW2 beta D: ?!

I has a sad.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Damnit.

I was *one* day off from getting the "participated every day during the campaign" achievement.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Release Date now July 3. Early access June 29 and it seems the moved the next beta weekend to june 15.
    Funcom today announced that the company has made a small adjustment to the release date for The Secret World. Due to market reasons, the ship date has been moved by two weeks to July 3rd, with Early Access starting June 29th. The new launch date places The Secret World in a more positive launch window which will benefit the launch of the game.

We are also excited to share with you the dates and content of the remaining Beta Weekends!

The third Beta Weekend, titled 'Hell Raised', will begin on June 15th and run until June 17th. In this Beta Weekend players will be able to experience the Illuminati and Dragon starter experiences as well as the Templar experience. Players will also get to leave Kingsmouth and venture into the massive region known as Savage Coast, where they will soon find that the very gates of hell itself have opened up! This will allow players to experience the epic 'Hell Raised' dungeon where you will have to battle the demons of hell itself!

MMORPG.com and Massively.com played through the 'Hell Raised' dungeon recently, and judging from their previews they had a hell of a good time. You can check out their impressions here.

The fourth and final Beta Weekend will begin on June 22nd and run until June 24th. This event will focus on the player vs. player experience in The Secret World, and players will get to sample both the Eldorado battlefield experience as well as the massive warzone gameplay where over a hundred players clash together in persistent battle. Here the Illuminati, the Templars and the Dragon will get to duke it out and hone their battle skills on each other before the real conflict begins when Early Access opens on June 29th.

The best way to secure your place in these Beta Weekends is to pre-order The Secret World. This grants guaranteed access to both Beta Weekends.

See you in The Secret World soon!

You can discuss this newsbit on the forums here
    l3cdn.funcom.com/funcomportal/pdf/investor/2012/funcom_1Q12_presentation.pdf + forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=811233#post811233

BTW beta keys from geforce.com the-secret-world/deals-promotions will work for the June 15th weekend, you can ignore now the June 1st date, confirmed by a moderator (Lumartist)

tricon on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What release were they dodging away from?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The DDO expansion is the only one around then, but I doubt that's a threat to anything.

I guess they realized that the game needs a little more bug fixing and retuning, can't complain about that.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.