As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so this game got a shout-out from Massively, not that that means much. They say they will reveal more about the actual gameplay on the 23rd. Looking forward to it.

Pel on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4 more days? I need info now!

urahonky on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Interesting pics.

*gets on the phone with the rest of his Delta Green cell ASAP*

"It's starting again, Kingsmouth. You know what has to be done."

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This really interests me. I really love the concept.

I also really loved the concept of hellgate: London. This gives off a few similar vibes, I hope it is radically different though. Because I was so hyped and excited about Hellgate, and so let down.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember this. I did that whole "Which Secret Society do you belong to." Illuminati represent!
    Woo!
    Its great to see more of this game. I thought it became vaporware after I heard nothing about it for a while.

E: Just took the quiz again, and got Dragon. Meh. So I signed up for that one. They seem ok. so. Meh, signed up with them. :D

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    I remember this. I did that whole "Which Secret Society do you belong to." Illuminati represent!
    Woo!
    Its great to see more of this game. I thought it became vaporware after I heard nothing about it for a while.

Word up Illuminati!

I finally saw the Trailer today, gotta say I like where it could go.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That trailer (templar) and another (dragon) are on the main site. The third one (illuminati) is still unrevealed..

I tested for Dragon as my society.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe we'll get the Illuminati trailer on the 23rd

Probably not :/

Inx on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Only one way to find out.
    *Waits for the 23rd*

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It is the 23rd...In Australia.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't get a good picture as it only comes up occasionally and really flashes past but if you go to http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/ there is a piece of paper that says a full in game trailer is being released on gametrailers.com on the 25th.

Times for the info release today are on crygaia.com

# 7.00 AM PST
    # 1400 HRS UTC
    # 10:00 AM EST
    # 2:00 PM GMT (London)
    # 1:00 AM on March 24

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Preview up at Massively:

http://www.massively.com/2010/03/23/gdc10-a-first-glimpse-at-the-secret-world/#continued

Of note:

Combat:
    The Secret World is an MMO with no specific classes or levels to worry about. The meat of your character's development centers on powers such as fire magic, healing, assault rifle, etc. There are hundreds of these powers in the game, but you will need to construct builds of 14 powers to take with you into combat. Seven of these are for active powers visible in your UI, and seven are for passive powers not directly visible on the UI. You gain XP and special points to purchase these powers, and according to Funcom, as long as you have these powers on your character, you can switch them around to create various builds before entering combat. This allows more options for those alt-a-holics among us who may want to play a healer one day and a tank the next. While this is a more diverse system (with no class restrictions), I can't help but be reminded of Guild Wars and how much I enjoy their restricted skill-based combat system. Actually, it almost seems to be a mix of Champions Online and Guild Wars.
    Lootz:
    The Secret World will also feature clothing that is not based on stats at all, allowing you to look however you'd like in a system that's separate from stat-based items. Jewelry, tattoos and even the passive powers are used to buff your character's stats, instead.

But let's say you actually enjoy having that special outfit to show off the fact that you killed a high-end boss, and you want everyone to know about it. Luckily, TSW supports that, as well. We're told that items can play a large part in the game, combining with the powers to create multiple tiers of powerful weapons, and you can choose to show these off or stick with your hotpants and tank top (as Ragnar admits is his favorite).
    Others:
    - The game is being developed for the PC exclusively. An Xbox 360 version has been announced for the future, but there will not be Mac support.

- The fact that characters can literally shoot fire from their hands is addressed in the storyline.

- Missions are timed at around 35-45 minutes, making it ideal for those without a lot of time. Of course, dungeons and boss fights may take longer.

- The ESRB rating has not yet been established, but Ragnar hinted at a direction, based on the amount of blood and corpses in the game.

- This isn't a scary horror game. There are elements of atmospheric horror (zombies, etc), but it's not based around scare tactics. Ragnar jokes that Silent Hill Online would not make a good MMO because you'd be so exhausted and always tense. The Secret World, although action-based, is not about twitch gameplay.

- The world will be persistent, but there will also be instances in dungeons and mini dungeons. Many of the regular storyline quests will be completely solo-able, while the instances are more for your 4-man party.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4-man party, I like the sound of that.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The-Secret-World.jpg

The-Secret-World2.jpg

The-Secret-World3.jpg

The-Secret-World4.jpg

The-Secret-World5.jpg

The-Secret-World6.jpg

The-Secret-World7.jpg

The-Secret-World8.jpg

The-Secret-World9.jpg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, uh, here is a teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4SDoeoS5xI

It shows very limited in-game footage, but Funcom said they're going to release the "full" video soon, so expect more to come.

That monster in the video though, looked awesome.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All the images have blocked linking Zzulu.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Adda wrote: »

They're still working for me.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kajusta wrote: »

They're still working for me.

I'm guessing you saw them at the original locationand have them cached then.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is this the Hellgate London thread?

Peccavi on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh wait, I remember hearing about this game. I took a quiz or something like a year ago, and I think it said I was a Dragon because I'm neutral and like balance or somesuch. Kinda turned me off, I prefer guns to katanas.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    4-man party, I like the sound of that.

Agreed, much like another game that I'm currently-but-not-officially in Beta with. I think it could work quite well.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Took the test and found out I'm a Templar. So far, the game seems pretty interesting, though I'm trying to keep from getting my hopes up.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Funny thread on the TSW forums where people were poking fun at the big reveal being that there would be a new trailer on the 25th. Someone posted up this comic, which gave me a good laugh.

20090723.jpg

On a separate note. Did anyone else manage to get one of the codes/tokens given away through the sanctuaryofsecrets.com ? Been nearly a year now and still no clue what it's for.

Just dusted off the old email and it reads like this:
    Dear Adam Evans,

At approximately 16.27 Universal Time on the 7th of April 2009 you were the 526th person to pass the gauntlet. It is an achievement worthy of recognition. We have prepared a token for your keepsake. This is your personal token. Follow the link below to confirm your passage, and do not share it with anyone. There will come a time when it will serve you further..

This channel is no longer secure. Do not reply. For now, rest assured that with your token your place in the Sanctuary of Secrets is safe.

...---...

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Funny thread on the TSW forums where people were poking fun at the big reveal being that there would be a new trailer on the 25th. Someone posted up this comic, which gave me a good laugh.

20090723.jpg

On a separate note. Did anyone else manage to get one of the codes/tokens given away through the sanctuaryofsecrets.com ? Been nearly a year now and still no clue what it's for.

Just dusted off the old email and it reads like this:
    Dear Adam Evans,

At approximately 16.27 Universal Time on the 7th of April 2009 you were the 526th person to pass the gauntlet. It is an achievement worthy of recognition. We have prepared a token for your keepsake. This is your personal token. Follow the link below to confirm your passage, and do not share it with anyone. There will come a time when it will serve you further..

This channel is no longer secure. Do not reply. For now, rest assured that with your token your place in the Sanctuary of Secrets is safe.

...---...

It's probably for BETA.

Topia on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or it's a way to sign up for their newsletter.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Full trailer's out now on GameTrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/63666.html

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I hope the combat is not all "catch your hands on fire and run around the enemy in circles"

Pel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bleeh, I was so interested in the game, after watching that trailer. Not so much.
    HOWEVER. I know that the game is still a long time out, so HOPEFULLY they improve on it. I was expecting a dark and gritty art style, not WoW with Cthuhlu. Sadface.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If there is anything I trust Tornquist on, it's style/ atmosphere. I don't think that a bright world is neccesarily not a bleak world. I'm more worried about the combat, which seemed to be pretty bland based on the trailer. You would think that the trailer has the most interesting moments: In this case, hopefully not.

Pel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The one thing (I feel, at least) Funcom did right with AoC was the combat system, I'm not too worried about it.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dear Adam Evans,

...---...

I had gotten one of those codes, but I accidentally deleted it when cleaning out my inbox. I tried to send a pm on the forums to a mod, but I never got a reply.

can you pm me the address you got it from so I can see if it's still active?

Edit: Yeah, I agree that the gameplay doesn't look exciting at all.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pel wrote: »
    I hope the combat is not all "catch your hands on fire and run around the enemy in circles"

Didn't you see? There's also "catch your sword on fire and run around the enemy in circles."

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    Bleeh, I was so interested in the game, after watching that trailer. Not so much.
    HOWEVER. I know that the game is still a long time out, so HOPEFULLY they improve on it. I was expecting a dark and gritty art style, not WoW with Cthuhlu. Sadface.

Yeah, that trailer was freaking terrible. Looks like standard combat, but against different monsters I guess. Sometimes you have guns. Run around in circles.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    not to be the guy that sticks up for funcom but

what the heck do you guys want

no mmo is any different in terms of combat.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    not to be the guy that sticks up for funcom but

what the heck do you guys want

no mmo is any different in terms of combat.

Infact, most MMO's don't even have the circles.

Topia on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    shit man i remember when having 5 different character classes was a big deal

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I remember that too. And I played that game, and got tired of it. Plus I can resub to it whenever I want. Or like 20 other MMO's. They have to do something different, new and exciting for anyone to care anymore.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shit is still Shit.

To say that just because old MMO's have shit combat we should expect shit from future MMO's, well, that's just silly. We have been stuck in a mire of shit for a decade now. It is time MMO's evolved a bit.

For the record I thought the trailer was just fine, though the content was dull.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone brought up Borderlands: I honestly believe that if they had made this game following that concept, twitch gamplay indeed, this would've been GotY material. Right now now I'm looking at WoW with deep ones and hearing loose promises of "atmosphere".

If this is truly meant to be a cooperative puzzle effort they better have multiple solutions/paths through various challenges.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What the hell. You guys are pulling combat mechanics out of a teaser trailer? That is the definition of a silly goose.

There are many abilities besides shooting fire from your hands on display in that trailer. And even so, shooting fire from your hands is pretty badass.

What I found more interesting in that trailer was the opening shots, which hint at cut-scenes and story. And atmosphere, Mifio/Panda4You.

To add a tone of optimism, I imagine we can expect different moods from different areas of the game, and night-time may very well feel sinister in many places. I am not particularly interested in a dark and foreboding combat system though (RE4, the mmo? Ehh...) I like some excitement when I am thrashing monsters.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
This discussion has been closed.