Options

Tabletop Games, PAX 2009

• Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I've been wanting to expand my collection of games, specifically in the card game area (not CCGs, though). Anybody have any good suggestions?

Illuminati is a great one (self contained) that has always been fun. Apples to Apples if you are looking for something a little more casual and great for parties that may be of a mixed crowd of game players.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    I've been wanting to expand my collection of games, specifically in the card game area (not CCGs, though). Anybody have any good suggestions?

Illuminati is a great one (self contained) that has always been fun. Apples to Apples if you are looking for something a little more casual and great for parties that may be of a mixed crowd of game players.

I'd totally be up for trying to play some Illuminati. I've heard of it, but never had the chance to play.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I only ever played the CCG version, but the mechanics are the same. Fun, from what I recall.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I second Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx, I've been playing it a fair amount recently.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    SuperDuckSuperDuck Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    I am so happy to hear people are picking up/will be playing Warmachines/Hordes. This is going to be my first PAX experience and hauling my minis cross-country is a scary prospect without the promise of action.

SuperDuck on
    I am the bubblegum on the shoe of evil
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Already posted this in the Train thread, as that's where I expect it to get the most use, but I picked up a copy of HeroQuest off eBay, so I'll have that for the non-mobile portion of the weekend as well. You in for some late night orc slaying VT?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes SlickShughes! Decisively!

... dibs on the Wizard!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Munchkin is fun, quirky, funny, random, deep, challenging, and most of all flexible. There are loads and loads of expansions and alternate editions that you can get, and you can mix them all together if you want. It's thoroughly collectable (without being a CCG).

I hope to play quite a few games on the train (not that you're on the train, CCST dude).

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I noticed in the latest news update that Acquisitions Inc were playing last year at PAX. Was this a demo game or could random people join?

solomani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Munchkin is fun, quirky, funny, random, deep, challenging, and most of all flexible. There are loads and loads of expansions and alternate editions that you can get, and you can mix them all together if you want. It's thoroughly collectable (without being a CCG).

I hope to play quite a few games on the train (not that you're on the train, CCST dude).

Munchkin is a lot of things, but I wouldn't call it deep. There's not much strategy beyond "Everybody screw the guy who's about to win". That's not to say it isn't fun - if you're of the correct mind set - it's just not a very cerebral game.
    solomani wrote: »
    I noticed in the latest news update that Acquisitions Inc were playing last year at PAX. Was this a demo game or could random people join?

That had to be a demo. Still, I'd stand around and watch them for hours, I've loved the podcasts.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like we've got the merged forums for PAX Prime (Seattle) and PAX East (Boston) happening.

Now that there's a PAX closer to GW Headquarters in Maryland, I wonder if they'll get off their butts and do something official, especially since they aren't doing GW-only Grand Tournaments anymore.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm looking forward to more Warcraft TCG, I learned it last year and had a terrific time playing it.

Twilight Imperium is one of my favourite games ever, but it does take an entire day to play, and given how much else there is to do around PAX, I'm still hesitant to devote that day to it.

I played a wicked little game called Space Trucker a little while ago. Lots of fun, and relatively quick (at least...well, anything is quick compared to TI :P)

And now that someone has maliciously linked to the PP site with pictures of the models, AND noted that the PP guys give actual demo games at PAX, I think that'll have to happen. Damned miniature addiction...

rythos42 on
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll definitely be carrying at *least* two Fluxx variants with me at all times. Probably a 4.0 and an expanded Zombie set. Not sure what else I'm going to have... Out of the stuff I had with me last year, Fluxx was really the only thing that got played. I was carrying some stuff I'd put together to maybe learn Mechaton with, but never found anyone playing that game in the tabletop room in the times I wandered in there.

I keep debating over poking at miniatures gaming... Are there any that are particularly newbie-friendly? The only miniatures stuff I ever did was a bit of Mage Knight *wayyyyyy* back when it first came out, and even then, was only playing with my brother and I don't think we ever really worked out the rules as they were suposed to be played.

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't know how popular the heroclix/mageknight/wow minis games are, but they tend to be the most newb friendly. I would guess the wow one is most likely to be popular now. Otherwise, Warmachine/Hordes have probably the lowest initial investment cost (it's playable at an intro level with $40, and at a normal play level at maybe 100-150) but they announced a new edition of their ruleset a few weeks ago. The minis will still be useful, but any books you buy will be outdated in a year or so. Also some people are playing with the playtest rules for the new edition, so you might have to learn the game two ways to play it.

I got my HeroQuest box over the weekend, and I'm very happy with it - used, but still in excellent shape. One problem: it's frakking huge. I think I might fashion myself a travel set: print the board on card stock so I can fold it down, limit the models I carry to those I need for a select few quests, and just the tops of the furniture. Thoughts? Too far from the old ways to kick in the nostalgia?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I got my HeroQuest box over the weekend, and I'm very happy with it - used, but still in excellent shape. One problem: it's frakking huge. I think I might fashion myself a travel set: print the board on card stock so I can fold it down, limit the models I carry to those I need for a select few quests, and just the tops of the furniture. Thoughts? Too far from the old ways to kick in the nostalgia?

Def would like to see the end result should you do this.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll definitely be carrying at *least* two Fluxx variants with me at all times. Probably a 4.0 and an expanded Zombie set. Not sure what else I'm going to have.

in terms of zombie amusement, how does the card game compare to board games like last night on earth?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've never played LNoE, but I will say the lack of opportunity for death makes Zombie Fluxx feel a bit un-zombie-ish. It's still a lot of fun though. Houserule I came up with the last time I played: the "Groaning Required" card starts out in play and can't be destroyed. I always play as if it's in effect anyway. :P

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Recently acquired The Arkham Horror boardgame. Thank the Elder Gods that the board folds down; it's a billboard.

Race For The Galaxy card game on the way, and may pick up Dominion in the near future.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone up for playing some old school Decipher Star Wars CCG? I might bring a deck or two if there is any interest.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My friend bough Arkham Horror a few months ago, it's pretty awesome. Did you get any of the expansions?

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If any friendly Canadians happen to have a Toys R Us which sells the volcano, tundra, or flag bearer HeroScape sets can you send me a PM? They stopped carrying them stateside but apparently some stock has been pushed up north. (This is relevant to the thread because I could bring these to PAX!)

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    WojoWojo Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    So, I'm essentially a noob when to comes to any form of gaming outside of video games and the affair I had with Yu-Gi-Oh! a while back. Recently, well hell not just recently, for a long time I've been very interested in getting into some form of tabletop gaming or another CCG or something along those lines. I love video games with a passion, but just the tabletop aspect of gaming has been so appealing to me. I honestly know absolute zero about the topic though. I have a few friends (about four to five?) that would definitely play something if I picked it up and actually learned about it and was serious about playing it. So what I'm asking is, how where does one start with this? Or how do I start? I'm basically just wondering/asking for suggestions for getting into tabletop gaming. Games, links, advice, words of wisdom, complementary 20 sided die, flaming, all is welcome. So, yeah, thanks in advance!

Wojo on
  • Options
    SmidgetSmidget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Dominion.
    It's a new game, came out last year. Just arrived at my doorstep on Monday and have only played 2 games but it is a blast. and short! So nice to have another, good short game. Expansion coming out soon.
    I would bring it but I don't think I'll be able to make it to PAX this year :(

And as SlickShughes said, Citadels is a great (and popular) one. Also short.

Both of these are great for getting multiple plays in short amounts of time. Makes it nice at conventions when it can be hard to find a group so once you do and those people are willing to stick around for an hour or two, you're going to be getting in quite a few games.

a recommendation - If there are any Battle Star Galactica fans here, the BSG board game is fantastic.

Smidget on
    I read arrows
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »
    My friend bough Arkham Horror a few months ago, it's pretty awesome. Did you get any of the expansions?

Our little local group (all six of us will be at PAX again) plays Arkham Horror about once every three months. It typically takes us about that long to forget the last time we played. Don't get me wrong, it can be a fun game... just don't set it up at 8PM on a "school night". Starting that one can be a six-hour investment. I think the "shortest" game we had (which we WON) was "only" thee and half hours long! We usually give up after about four hours and switch to a more alcohol friendly game. :)

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    PlaneGuyPlaneGuy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've a few games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/PlaneGuy?gallery=small&own=1&ff=1

I'll probably only bring 1 game, so I'd like to bring something that wouldn't be in the library. I'm thinking Breaking Away, or when it comes out (if ever) Space Alert.

I have some big long games, but - as someone mentioned - with all the stuff going on I doubt someone'd want to play a day-long game out of a two-day event.

PlaneGuy on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ishbu wrote: »
    Anyone up for playing some old school Decipher Star Wars CCG? I might bring a deck or two if there is any interest.

Sadly, I never collected Star Wars CCG or I'd take you up on that!

Mentioning Decipher does remind me of another game though... I wish I had my old Star Trek:TNG CCG cards from Decipher. I may have been the only one on earth to think so, but I enjoyed the game... as unbalanced as it was. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Not yet; the guy I bought it from has them all, but I wanted to see how I like the base game first. Read the booklet, but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. You can play 1 player, but it seems like table talk and atmosphere are the best parts of the game. It's my understanding that once you understand the mechanics, it becomes pretty easy for the Investigators to win, but the expansions may change that.

Learn to love The Geek

Well, having just picked it up and played a few games, Race For The Galaxy is pretty awesome. It's one of those games that's fairly easy to learn, but with a depth of complexity I can't even describe. Each player chooses an action to complete that round, and then *all* players take that action, although the person who chose it gets a bonus. So not only do you have many options on what you want to do, you have to account for what your opponent(s) might do. Lots of room for variants as well; the expansion includes a solitaire game, and you could easily play teams. This one is definitely coming with me on the train and to the tables.

Dominion was already suggested, but I have to second that. It's like the drafting portion of a CCG tournament, so if you like constructing decks, but don't want to have to collect the cards, this is one for you. I've only played it a few times, so if someone owns it.......

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wojo wrote: »
    So, I'm essentially a noob when to comes to any form of gaming outside of video games and the affair I had with Yu-Gi-Oh! a while back. Recently, well hell not just recently, for a long time I've been very interested in getting into some form of tabletop gaming or another CCG or something along those lines. I love video games with a passion, but just the tabletop aspect of gaming has been so appealing to me. I honestly know absolute zero about the topic though. I have a few friends (about four to five?) that would definitely play something if I picked it up and actually learned about it and was serious about playing it. So what I'm asking is, how where does one start with this? Or how do I start? I'm basically just wondering/asking for suggestions for getting into tabletop gaming. Games, links, advice, words of wisdom, complementary 20 sided die, flaming, all is welcome. So, yeah, thanks in advance!
    This really kind of depends how much effort and money you want to sink into a game. Tabletop games range widely from simple stuff like HeroQuest, which is basically a big board game, to Warhammer and WarMachine, which involve books worth of complex rules and dozens (if not hundreds) of models that you assemble and paint yourself. And there are examples of every degree between those two extremes. Each degree has its own merits and drawbacks. There's nothing quite like playing a 3,000 point Warhammer game with someone over the course of almost an entire day... but... think of how much time and money it took to get to that point. ;)

Honestly, my suggestion would be to poll your friends or check out the local gaming community and see what's popular. Games suck when you don't have anyone to play with, and on the flip side, most any game can be lots of fun if there are people playing. If there's a big scene centered around a game in your town, that might be a good place to start. I'm not counting card games in this discussion, by the way. I consider tabletop games to be 3D stuff, usually involving models of some kind. An arbitrary distinction on my part, perhaps, but whatever.

If you want to keep it confined to your 4-5 friends, my suggestion would be to take up something small: a battle box of Privateer Press's WarMachine for each of you and some basic paints to share would lead to lots of good times, both painting and playing. Similarly you could pick up one of Games Workshop's skirmish scale games, like Mordheim, Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Gorkamorka, Battlefleet Gothic, Inquisitor, etc. These games require 5-10 minis each as opposed to the large scale versions which require dozens or 100+. But start small. Even these little games require a pretty significant investment.

Be warned: collecting stuff like this is a sickness. You will become obsessed.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wojo wrote: »

I guess to get started you should play some Monopoly or Risk...something along those lines...
    Seriously as far as tabletop games go its all up to you. There is a huge, huge, huge variety of all sorts of games, from customizable pieces to multiple expansions...
    Anyway, you're just going to have to look into what kind of games you really like and try some out. I never got into Warhammer or D&D or anything like taht cause they didn't appeal to me too much, and I've stuck with less time-intensive strategy board games like Catan and Diplomacy...kind of the rudimentary tabletop stock, but that's what I'm into.

Probably look at the type of video games you play and see what people with similar tastes play on the tabletop.

scotty2haughty on
  • Options
    dangerfishdangerfish Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    This will be my second year at PAX, and last year the tabletop hall was huge fun. Last year I played Warmachine, Infernal Contraption and WoW CCG. This year I'm bringing Infernal Contraption (a great fast "fill-in" game), Battlelore and one other... I'm kind of torn - I'd like to buy one of the big box games like Descent or Starcraft... Last year was my year to get into wargaming, this year I want to try out some big-box board games. They seem really fun. I'd also like to play in an RPGA D&D game.

Not sure if it's poor form to post links out to a blog - my apologies if it is, but last year I took some pics and blogged about what the tabletop environment was like... Maybe worth a read for first timers (or just those nostalgic for PAX...) Just reading it again made me ready to go again... If you are considering going but wondering what it's like, give it a read:

Pax in a nutshell (with a pic of the table top hall at midnight!):
    http://www.gamehole.com/2008/09/back-from-pax.html

Tabletop at PAX:
    http://www.gamehole.com/2008/09/pax-tabletop-gaming-report.html

See ya in 113 days,
    - dangerfish

dangerfish on
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I want to get strated playing D&D or anything like that, is there anything that I need? I know that I can have my dad teach me the basics but is there anything else?

Brex123 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    If I want to get strated playing D&D or anything like that, is there anything that I need? I know that I can have my dad teach me the basics but is there anything else?

I just want to say that this right here is pretty awesome.

To answer your question more directly, there are 3 tiers of products you might purchase to introduce yourself to the game.

1. Each edition has a "starter kit" that gives you the basic rules, some dice, pre made characters, and a little adventure. Useful if you want to get a general feel for the game.

2. The Player's Handbook has all the rules you need to be, well, a player - as opposed to a DM. How to make a character, equipment, combat, etc.

3. If you want to DM you'll probably also need the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual.

Also dice, dice are important. Depending on where you're shopping, you'll want to pay attention to what Edition the products you get are. Fourth Edition just came out last year, a lot of stuff for the last one (3.5) is still floating around. Not that there's anything wrong with 3.5, you just need to be consistent.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Going off of what Slick said, our Half Price Books here has had a huge flood of very good condition 3.5 stuff, even DM screens in the wrapper, that you can get for super cheap as an intro since WoTC is super balls about over charging for things. I am sorry but $30 is not a baseline price to use for your products.

On a side note, just got Chinatown from Z-Man and played a 4 player last night. Def super fun, some of the most dynamic and crazy trading ever, even better trading action than Catan since trading all happens at once and bidding wars happen. The build is also very high quality. Got it through CardHaus which shipped fast and in a big box so came in mint condition. Def recommend you try it out.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I want to get started playing D&D or anything like that, is there anything that I need? I know that I can have my dad teach me the basics but is there anything else?

I just want to say that this right here is pretty awesome.

It is, but I may still need to pick up a starter kit so that he can hopefully remember it all and get caught up with the new stuff. He hasn't played since his high school and early university days, so it can be almost a learning experience for the both of us.

I am also thinking of getting a Tau starter set for some 40K as well. I just need money first...

EDIT: I have also found out that I have some friends who play D&D and 40K, among other tabletop games. I will be ready for PAX after paying a few games with them, though they have their stories about their games, like setting the initial starting bar on fire after forcefully interrogating the bartender and killing the disguised bouncers. I think that they were playing as lawful characters at the time too.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    CHEESUSCHEESUS Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'M BRINGING MAH POGS!

CHEESUS on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Pogs, who still has pogs?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Apparently Cheesus does.

I've probably got some, still, somewhere. But I'm not going to fill my luggage with those, when I could put Chrononauts in there or something.

Definitely bringing We Didn't Playtest This Game with me. That was freaking *epic* on the train last year, and could be lots of fun with bigger tables and more people...

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I still have pogs. Full set of the Simpsons ones.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pogs, who still has pogs?

someone once made me a zelda pog and i carried it around for good luck. i lost it a few years ago somewhere in the house, but if i ever found it again i would definitely keep it around because its win.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it just me, or are the version 4 D&D rulebooks a bit hard to read. My dad and I looked through them and we can't find some important stuff. granted, we did not get the monster manual yet (got the player's guide and the DM's guide), but honestly, it should be easier to find how to roll checks.

Brex123 on
This discussion has been closed.