[WoW] Bow down before the God of [Chat]

13567118

Posts

  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Mythic had significantly more realistic goals for WAR than the fans did.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WAR was probably going to be decent until EA got their hands in the pie.

    DAoC was/is a work of art. Mythic screwed up big time by being acquired and hemorrhaging all the talent that made DAoC great.

    xzzy on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    WAR was probably going to be decent until EA got their hands in the pie.

    I don't know, isn't the general consensus that EA isn't quite the horrible white devil of gaming anymore because they're trying, honest to god trying, to make good games rather than minimum effort shovelware?

    reVerse on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I can't figure out why people still PvP in this game. I thought for sure that with WAR's release, at the very least the hardcore PvPers from WoW would have flocked to it and stayed there. At least that's what I was reading pre-WAR's release.

    I'm pvping for the marks so I can get all the war mounts.

    I honestly have no reason to pvp after that except for the rare achievement (ie: Children's week)

    Nobody on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    EA was very hands-off and gave Mythic a large infusion of cash.

    WAR should never have released when it did and the economy hasn't helped either.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »
    frylocked wrote: »
    I really dont know why people are still so bad at BGs. The mechanics and MAP for them have not changed in 3 years...

    There is a large percentage of the playerbase who look at BGs as a way for them to kill other players. The BG objective is secondary.

    Fools, pvp is not for pvp, it is for honor / hour.

    This is why WG is great. I can get 10k honor easily if I do all 5 dailies and kill me some enemies along the way. That's at least one new piece of gear a week for maybe 5 hours of play time. I don't think getting gear has ever been as easy.

    Granted, it's not the best gear, but it's pretty damn good for the effort required.

    xzzy on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    xzzy wrote: »
    WAR was probably going to be decent until EA got their hands in the pie.

    I don't know, isn't the general consensus that EA isn't quite the horrible white devil of gaming anymore because they're trying, honest to god trying, to make good games rather than minimum effort shovelware?

    Sure, EA can be decent. Doesn't change the fact that Mythic saw a huge exodus when the acquisition happened.

    xzzy on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really didn't see EA's hand in WAR. They're better than they used to be and they know which developers to give free rein to.


    WAR could be better than WoW, but it isn't there yet. Plus it never ran well on my computer. I may pick it up again sometime in the future.

    captaink on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played WAR pretty extensively in beta and release. Note that my experiences are completely tempered by what the state of the game was back about a month after release, and it in no way still applies if changes have been made.

    WAR:
    1) PvE content is BORING AS HELL. I actually stopped leveling in WAR because I got bored with it.
    1b) Yadda yadda public quests. How fun are they when they're deserted? Not fun.
    2) You can't pwn noobs.
    2b) Despite the fact that people clamor for "balance" in PvP games, what they REALLY want is for their class to be the flavor of the month so they can feel like Rambo.
    3) It takes about ten years to kill a healer.
    4) Keep sieges? More like PowerPoint presentations, am I right?
    5) Open RvR? Was interesting for a little while. However, it ended up being vanilla AV, and oh God never again.

    WoW:
    1) WotLK PvE content is unbelievable. I don't know how they will top themselves next expansion.
    2) zomg I just two shotted that mage
    3) Even though burst DPS is through the roof, healers can still live for a long time.
    4) Arenas are very satisfying for me.
    5) World PvP? Who does THAT anymore?

    rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played a Sorceress which was hilariously fun at some times, and maddeningly frustrating at others.

    I very much agree with points 1,4, and 5.

    captaink on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »
    Some people apparently make tons of money with trade skills (probably the same people who play the market on the AH for profit), but for me they have always been massive money sinks. I always take at least one gathering.

    Leveling a mage as frost can be very fun, aoe madness! Since they lowered the level requirement for mounts it should be even easier. Once you get your pet and can do a ranged frost nova pwning huge packs of mobs is cake.

    I definitely found my mage took a lot of skill to play and died rather a lot (trying to aoe packs with casters/ranged) But it is so much fun trashing a huge pack of mobs your own level while most other classes are fighting things one at a time, you feel like a god. I liked the challenge.

    Some of us have a gathering Profession and a Tradeskill that allows for gathering.

    yeah my main is herbalism/alchemy and it works well, but if you go say mining/blacksmithing or mining/engineering good luck getting enough ore&gold from mining to keep blacksmithing going (I tried both those combination on various characters and was constantly broke and eventually gave up.)

    my friend does enchanting/tailoring but the only way to pull it off is having me send items to DE and cloth from my main and alts.

    Um, as an Engineer gold really isn't that hard to get. Simply hooving up motes/eternals will allow you to support Engineering. And once you max it out then your costs are pretty low.

    I guess that's great if you use money from a main to bring your alts skill up to 300 or something but when your playing through normally getting engineering or mining up to 300 is a huge pain in the ass and in no way does mining give you enough materials.

    Um, no. I did it on my main. It is very doable if you spend a little effort. Mining will give you plenty of mats to level it.

    Thomamelas on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think he's saying that if you level mining to 300 and stop, that doesn't give you nearly enough mats to level engineering (or blacksmithing or jewelcrafting) to 300.

    captaink on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    Edit: Given the staves I've seen in PTR loot tables it seems like Blizzard has still not realized how to make a stave useful in comparison to a 1H spell damage sword and a spell damage offhand.

    My understanding was that they were going to try and make staves a reasonable alternative to a 1H sword / offhand or a mace / offhand or an anything / offhand.

    Yeah they added that staff-only enchant but it does not do enough to balance the disparity between staves and mh/oh. I don't understand why this continues to be a problem. I guess it's like... the mh/oh person has to wait (and pay DKP) for TWO drops while the staff-user only needs one? I don't know. It's dumb, I like staves. You can't see offhands unless you specifically take them out, and maces are usually ugly. One thing I really resent about my priest is being unable to wield swords.

    reVerse wrote: »
    Oh, that's nice. PvErs get completely new, interesting sets with each new raid, PvPrs get "I don't know, add some feathers or some shit to the shoulders and call it a day".

    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    riz on
    Organichu wrote:
    she's some sort of malevolent creature who bores through this world into the next using hatred and suffering as her fuel
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    Very well put.

    frylocked on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    Yes, because when I walk around Dalaran in my T7 gear, and pass by seven Druids wearing the exact same thing, I do not get the sense of mass production at all.

    reVerse on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    Very well put.

    I'd be interested to see some statistics on how many players wear the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons vs. how many players wear the mass-produced battle gear.

    I'd be willing to put money on the fact that far fewer people ever see the high end PvP gear.

    So - mass-produced battle gear? Maybe for the savage pieces... But the deadly gear that I'm wearing? More like hand-crafted by the finest goblin armsmiths in all of azeroth, for the specific purpose of seeing a deadly gladiator in mortal combat.

    rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    Yes, because when I walk around Dalaran in my T7 gear, and pass by seven Druids wearing the exact same thing, I do not get the sense of mass production at all.

    That's because the real reason you kill the monsters is to attempt to break up their counterfeiting ring.

    Cinders on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.
    Yes, because when I walk around Dalaran in my T7 gear, and pass by seven Druids wearing the exact same thing, I do not get the sense of mass production at all.
    That's because the real reason you kill the monsters is to attempt to break up their counterfeiting ring.
    Which they operate out of their car-holes.

    Halfmex on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    Yes, because when I walk around Dalaran in my T7 gear, and pass by seven Druids wearing the exact same thing, I do not get the sense of mass production at all.

    Sure, it ends up like that, but the conceit is there in the design, at least.

    So - mass-produced battle gear? Maybe for the savage pieces... But the deadly gear that I'm wearing? More like hand-crafted by the finest goblin armsmiths in all of azeroth, for the specific purpose of seeing a deadly gladiator in mortal combat.

    This is good too. Honor gear vs. top-end PVP gear...

    riz on
    Organichu wrote:
    she's some sort of malevolent creature who bores through this world into the next using hatred and suffering as her fuel
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    I think he's saying that if you level mining to 300 and stop, that doesn't give you nearly enough mats to level engineering (or blacksmithing or jewelcrafting) to 300.

    It depends on how bad a time of mining thorium you have. But it's still not very painful to level Engineering.

    Thomamelas on
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I resubbed, having been gone since just before Wrath came out.

    God damn am I lost as to wtf is going on. I think I may need to move to a different guild too.

    Or gather excessively and hope for profit.

    FF on
    Huh...
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    If we can just make awesome gear, why aren't we being decked out in this shit to storm Icecrown?

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FF wrote: »
    I resubbed, having been gone since just before Wrath came out.

    God damn am I lost as to wtf is going on. I think I may need to move to a different guild too.

    Or gather excessively and hope for profit.

    Herbalism = profit, especially with 3.1 upcoming and everyone soon to be wanting some new inscriptions to go with those dual specs.

    TheGerbil on

  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    FF wrote: »
    I resubbed, having been gone since just before Wrath came out.

    God damn am I lost as to wtf is going on. I think I may need to move to a different guild too.

    Or gather excessively and hope for profit.

    Herbalism = profit, especially with 3.1 upcoming and everyone soon to be wanting some new inscriptions to go with those dual specs.

    Sounds good enough to hope for. It's a shame I'm only 70, so I'm guessing I won't be able to gather the new herbs.

    FF on
    Huh...
  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WoW just needs to implement LOTRO's costuming system. Where you get to pick your visible gear, whilst wearing your actual gear. Dyeing would also be nice.

    Entriech on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Entriech wrote: »
    WoW just needs to implement LOTRO's costuming system. Where you get to pick your visible gear, whilst wearing your actual gear. Dyeing would also be nice.
    For christ's sake yes. Being able to enjoy the aesthetics of older sets while having the stats of current gear would be awesome and would go a long way towards destroying the complaints that WoW's art direction, at least in relation to gear, has gone downhill.

    Of course they'll never do it, because it means admitting exactly that; that their art direction is on a downward slide and people prefer the look of older gear. "We're all about moving forward, not backward" blah blah blah.

    Halfmex on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Entriech wrote: »
    WoW just needs to implement LOTRO's costuming system. Where you get to pick your visible gear, whilst wearing your actual gear. Dyeing would also be nice.

    "But man, like, how am I supposed to pick easy targets I can more or less oneshot in BGs/while ganking outdoors if that guy in a tuxedo could actually be wearing Deadly Gladiator's gear? That completely ruins PvP balance!!!"

    reVerse on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    To be fair PVP sets are more like mass-produced battle gear rather than the relics of ancient adventurers pried from the quickly cooling maws of legendary monsters inside distant dungeons.

    Yes, because when I walk around Dalaran in my T7 gear, and pass by seven Druids wearing the exact same thing, I do not get the sense of mass production at all.

    The token system helps, since I see it as customizing the ruined powerful piece of equipment to the specs of your class.

    polloface on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    WoW just needs to implement LOTRO's costuming system. Where you get to pick your visible gear, whilst wearing your actual gear. Dyeing would also be nice.
    For christ's sake yes. Being able to enjoy the aesthetics of older sets while having the stats of current gear would be awesome and would go a long way towards destroying the complaints that WoW's art direction, at least in relation to gear, has gone downhill.

    Of course they'll never do it, because it means admitting exactly that; that their art direction is on a downward slide and people prefer the look of older gear. "We're all about moving forward, not backward" blah blah blah.

    Except if they did that, everyone would (yet again) be running around in the same looking gear, so that doesn't really fix the problem.

    Like, all DK's will wear their starting armor set since it's basically the coolest fucking shit ever. It would get super old seeing that same armor on every DK in existence.

    Wavechaser on
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    People still do the anal thing?
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't forget the fucktards who would go farm up the gayest looking gear possible and dye it neon colors just to stand out.

    riz on
    Organichu wrote:
    she's some sort of malevolent creature who bores through this world into the next using hatred and suffering as her fuel
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »
    Don't forget the fucktards who would go farm up the gayest looking gear possible and dye it neon colors just to stand out.

    That would be fabulous.

    Thomamelas on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    WoW just needs to implement LOTRO's costuming system. Where you get to pick your visible gear, whilst wearing your actual gear. Dyeing would also be nice.
    For christ's sake yes. Being able to enjoy the aesthetics of older sets while having the stats of current gear would be awesome and would go a long way towards destroying the complaints that WoW's art direction, at least in relation to gear, has gone downhill.

    Of course they'll never do it, because it means admitting exactly that; that their art direction is on a downward slide and people prefer the look of older gear. "We're all about moving forward, not backward" blah blah blah.
    Except if they did that, everyone would (yet again) be running around in the same looking gear, so that doesn't really fix the problem.

    Like, all DK's will wear their starting armor set since it's basically the coolest fucking shit ever. It would get super old seeing that same armor on every DK in existence.
    Well it's pretty much like that now, except rather than running around in starting gear, they're all running around in T7.

    And that's really only an issue with DKs since they're a brand new class with no prior armor sets. Every other class has six previous tiers of armor to choose from, on top of all of the other old world gear which they might want to wear. Maybe your rogue wants to be outfitted in Defias gear? Boom, there you go. Really enjoyed the Warrior T1 set? Now it's viable again (to an extent).

    Hell, look at those sets of white gear that the armor vendors are always hawking. Who buys that shit? No one. And in some cases they actually look halfway decent, but no one in their right mind would spend the fifty plus gold for statless white gear. But to have a cohesive look despite not having stats to cover uglier armor with stats? Yeah, I'll pay it.

    Halfmex on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »
    Don't forget the fucktards who would go farm up the gayest looking gear possible and dye it neon colors just to stand out.
    No need to even do that, just go farm up early TBC gear.

    Halfmex on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    WoW just needs to implement LOTRO's costuming system. Where you get to pick your visible gear, whilst wearing your actual gear. Dyeing would also be nice.
    For christ's sake yes. Being able to enjoy the aesthetics of older sets while having the stats of current gear would be awesome and would go a long way towards destroying the complaints that WoW's art direction, at least in relation to gear, has gone downhill.

    Of course they'll never do it, because it means admitting exactly that; that their art direction is on a downward slide and people prefer the look of older gear. "We're all about moving forward, not backward" blah blah blah.
    Except if they did that, everyone would (yet again) be running around in the same looking gear, so that doesn't really fix the problem.

    Like, all DK's will wear their starting armor set since it's basically the coolest fucking shit ever. It would get super old seeing that same armor on every DK in existence.
    Well it's pretty much like that now, except rather than running around in starting gear, they're all running around in T7.

    And that's really only an issue with DKs since they're a brand new class with no prior armor sets. Every other class has six previous tiers of armor to choose from, on top of all of the other old world gear which they might want to wear. Maybe your rogue wants to be outfitted in Defias gear? Boom, there you go. Really enjoyed the Warrior T1 set? Now it's viable again (to an extent).

    Hell, look at those sets of white gear that the armor vendors are always hawking. Who buys that shit? No one. And in some cases they actually look halfway decent, but no one in their right mind would spend the fifty plus gold for statless white gear. But to have a cohesive look despite not having stats to cover uglier armor with stats? Yeah, I'll pay it.

    All Rogue's would wear Bloodfang.

    Warriors would wear T3.

    etc etc.

    Wavechaser on
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    People still do the anal thing?
  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Screw the tier gear, I'd pony my shaman up in some of this. Ironhide 4tw.

    Entriech on
  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »
    Don't forget the fucktards who would go farm up the gayest looking gear possible and dye it neon colors just to stand out.
    SWP already has a monopoly on that stuff, doesn't it?

    Entriech on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd wear T2 on my warrior and T2 on my paladin and the starter gear for my DK

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User
    edited March 2009
    What really needs to go now is the cap on resetting instances, that shit was outdated when they stopped putting chests in dungeons, since the only reson it was put in was because of the chinese farmers who lived in SM.

    LET ME RUN MY OTHER ACCOUNT THROUGH DUNGEONS IN PEACE! :x

    polloface on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Entriech wrote: »
    Screw the tier gear, I'd pony my shaman up in some of this. Ironhide 4tw.

    I'd be wearing: http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=321

    "Hrm, what is a guard doing in this BG? Oh god, not the face, not the aughhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

    Thomamelas on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would grab the "spiderman set" for shits and giggles.

    Wavechaser on
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    People still do the anal thing?
This discussion has been closed.