As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I really don't know what they're thinking, releasing RiC and Uncharted 2 only 2 weeks apart

They did it 2 years ago as well with Uncharted and Tools of Destruction.

I didn't have a PS3 at that time, and even then, I knew a new Ratchet and Clank was coming, and I was jealous.

Now I have a PS3 and keep up on PS3 news, but damn, hearing next to nothing about this game.

I wasn't talking about the lack of marketing (which I agree with, it's criminal), just that Sony have R&C and U2 competing - which they did on the original games releases 2 years ago as well.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really don't know what they're thinking, releasing RiC and Uncharted 2 only 2 weeks apart

I haven't known what they've been thinking all year. They announced the game at GDC but didn't show any footage at all, which led to a lot of journalists forgetting it'd been announced in the first place. Since then, it seems like they've announced every new feature at completely obscure times and have in turn, received very little publicity. And now they've announced that it's coming out in probably the most crowded month this year... Oh and Insomniac can't even seem to get their bi-weekly podcast out bi-weekly.

I cringe just thinking of how poorly it's going to sell. I mean, I'm still buying it but it's going to be sitting on my shelf until I've finished Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and Alpha Protocol (all of which are also released in October).

Exactly. And it's not as if it's a foregone conclusion... considering how many games got delayed the last half of 2009 is looking a little empty. With a bit of work Sony could spread Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank out and give both of them plenty of attention, but it looks like they're going to blow their big exclusives early and just fart around the rest of the year. Sigh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I haven't known what they've been thinking all year. They announced the game at GDC but didn't show any footage at all, which led to a lot of journalists forgetting it'd been announced in the first place. Since then, it seems like they've announced every new feature at completely obscure times and have in turn, received very little publicity. And now they've announced that it's coming out in probably the most crowded month this year... Oh and Insomniac can't even seem to get their bi-weekly podcast out bi-weekly.

I cringe just thinking of how poorly it's going to sell. I mean, I'm still buying it but it's going to be sitting on my shelf until I've finished Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and Alpha Protocol (all of which are also released in October).

Exactly. And it's not as if it's a foregone conclusion... considering how many games got delayed the last half of 2009 is looking a little empty. With a bit of work Sony could spread Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank out and give both of them plenty of attention, but it looks like they're going to blow their big exclusives early and just fart around the rest of the year. Sigh.

It could be that's exactly why. They had a few new IP's nearing release (and the Juggernaut that is Uncharted 2), and decided to hype them up. People know what Ratchet and Clank is, and they only have so much time at a press conference to hype games. Then those games got delayed. And what they have left is one game they've been hyping to death (Uncharted 2) and one they decided not to hype in favour of other games (R&C).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    remember that october is pretty much also the sweet spot for getting games in the market and warmed up before christmas

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It could be that's exactly why. They had a few new IP's nearing release (and the Juggernaut that is Uncharted 2), and decided to hype them up. People know what Ratchet and Clank is, and they only have so much time at a press conference to hype games. Then those games got delayed. And what they have left is one game they've been hyping to death (Uncharted 2) and one they decided not to hype in favour of other games (R&C).

Well, they've had a few months notice with all the games fleeing. They could have delayed Ratchet a month or two to try to build up some hype and take advantage of the vacuum, but looks like that's not happening.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Delaying Ratchet would have left an even bigger hole in Sonys releases for this year. They touted 2009 as the year of the PS3, and then their exclusives started getting delayed.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Delaying Ratchet would have left an even bigger hole in Sonys releases for this year. They touted 2009 as the year of the PS3, and then their exclusives started getting delayed.

How would it've left a bigger hole? Sure Heavy Rain, MAG and God of War 3 were delayed (though I have serious doubts Sony intended on releasing them in 2009) but it's not like Sony's the only publisher making games for the PS3.

Personally, I think a late November/early December release would've been the smartest. Sure it puts the game pretty close to CoD6 and AC2 but what other games are coming out around that time anyway? Off the top of my head there's EyePet (which is targeted at a younger demographic) and Saboteur (which looks neat but it's a Pandemic game so it'll probably be full of bugs and won't sell too well). That's about it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two new weapons revealed at PAX.
    The Chimp-O-Matic, which turns enemies into adorable monkeys (and changes robotic enemies into robotic monkey toys with cymbals), and the Rift Inducer 5000, a weapon which summons tentacles from an interdimensional portal, which in turn grasp enemies and abscond with them through the vortex.

There's a video in the link exhibiting many of the weapons in the game. I can only assume that at 00:35 to 00:47 Ratchet is using the newest version of the RYNO. Laser blasts and rockets EVERYWHERE.

Vray on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That assumed-RYNO is insane.

And hell yes, the Groovitron returns.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Why are Insomniac the only guys that know how to make weapons like that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    god I want that game so bad

but I don't have a PS3

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    New impressions article at Kotaku. Sounds like they are trying to extend the life of the game with more, smaller platforming challenges between the main levels, which is good news.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I hate to keep bringing up the Wind Waker vibe I'm feeling but
    robogoron.jpg.

I do like the idea of a challenge mode optional superboss that was hinted at in the kotaku article.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Axiom city walkthrough.

Devices are gone.
    Groovitron and Mr. Zurkon return as glove weapons.
    Rift inducer returns with tentacle rape.
    Firing the Ryno causes the 1812 overture to play.

Why is there so little interest in this game?

Vray on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

They did it 2 years ago as well with Uncharted and Tools of Destruction.

I bought them both then and ran out of money for the month.

I intend to do the same again.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I forget - what were the devices? Was that stuff like the disco ball?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    I forget - what were the devices? Was that stuff like the disco ball?

Yeah in ToD the Groovitron, Mr. Zurkon, Confuzzler gas, Leach bombs, deathsprings, and transmorpher (a bomb that turns things into penguins) were all devices. They could only be replenished from a device vendor or from those large raritanium chests.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah. I used each of those one time for precisely that reason. I had better stuff to spend bolts on.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've only gotten to play the ps2 ratchets, but I remember never using the shield or helper bots in going commando because you had to spend bolts to get more

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man I wish they'd make a PS3 collection of the old ratchet games

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Despite owning all 4 of them (and Size Matters on PSP) I would buy it on day 1. A Sly collection, too please.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Despite owning all 4 of them (and Size Matters on PSP) I would buy it on day 1. A Sly collection, too please.

Me too. I missed out on these on the PS2. I'd buy a God of War collection style set day 1.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Me too. I missed out on these on the PS2. I'd buy a God of War collection style set day 1.

Lucky for you they are releasing a GoW compilation.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Lucky for you they are releasing a GoW compilation.

I... know? I started that thread here. I was saying if they did that style of set fo Ratchet and Clank (ie 720p native resolution and 2x AA) I'd buy it day 1.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I misunderstood. I blame my dumbness.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/ratchet-clank-future-a-crack-in-time-has-cracked-gold/
    Hey everyone, wanted to drop by and share the happy news that Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time has officially gone gold and been released to manufacturing in North America. This means you can expect the game on October 27 in North America at your favorite game shop. It’s been an incredible experience seeing this game come together at Insomniac over the last year. From our earliest prototypes of Clank’s time gameplay, to the final space exploration levels that allow Ratchet to land on and explore spherical moons, there has been a ton of effort and love put into this game by the team here at Insomniac. We’re really excited to get it out to you guys, our fans, and let you experience the conclusion of the Ratchet & Clank Future story arc.

There will be much new content hitting over the next couple of weeks – including some special coverage on G4’s X-Play where you’ll see one of our time travel levels for the first time.

3882394204_87d4698824.jpg

In the meantime though, head over to Game Informer to check out this special video we put together for their recent site re-launch. It’s all about the replay mode in the game. We spent a lot of time adding extra replay features, a special uber-boss you have to collect all of the Zoni to fight, the Insomniac Museum, optional super-hard Clank puzzles, and of course trophies, which are in addition to the Insomniac-created “Skill Points” we’ve had in all of our games since Spyro: Ripto’s Rage.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    First review/video review is up at IGN, got a 9.0. Looks pretty awesome from the video review, and the mini moon and space combat based mission hub are interesting.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    More vids and stuff

Two (maybe more?) demos coming down the pipe. First one is this Thursday and focuses on Clank gameplay.

I also noticed the the bouncer (sort of) makes a return as a constructo bomb-glove attachment.

Vray on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did anyone else see this article?

Their claiming this could be the last Ratchet & Clank title... :(

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/19/game.ratchet.clank/index.html

I hope not, because Ratchet & Clank is nothing but pure fun.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Insomniac probably want to try something new - I'm pretty sure I read they were working on a new IP, and 3 games series is tough to do. I wouldn't be surprised though if the series doesn't completely end, story wise. It's a good series to hold back when they try something new - if it doesn't work, they can do another Ratchet game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm guessing they're just talking about the storyline they've been carrying over through Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty. If not, and they are planning on giving up on R&C, then I think they're giving up on the wrong franchise.

Anyway, IGN's review is a good sign. Pity that the marketing has been so bad and it's coming out at a really poor time. I've still ordered it though.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd rather they ended the series on a high note than let it peter out...or sell it off to Universal.

I kinda snickered at the thought of a CNN journalist wading through the gamefaqs forums.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    I'd rather they ended the series on a high note than let it peter out...or sell it off to Universal.

I kinda snickered at the thought of a CNN journalist wading through the gamefaqs forums.

Wonder how often he sat at his desk facepalming.

edit - Yeah, they've said a lot that ACiT ties up the Future storyline, so there might have been some crossed wires and someones gone 'the series is being finished!'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, Spyro (and Crash) were owned by Universal from the very beginning anyway. Sony's not about to give them away (or give them to shitty developers).

I still don't know why Sony haven't tried cashing in on their videogame franchises. They're sitting on a ton of great IP's and they haven't even bothered making any movies for them. I'm pretty sure a Ratchet & Clank animated movie would do really well and boost the series profile up a hell of a lot. They sort of remind me of Warners incompetance when it comes to DC. They've got hundreds of comic book characters they could make movies from, yet most of them can't even get off the ground.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    More reviews have been popping up, and it's getting high 8's to 9's.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know if you can transfer weapons from a Tools of Destruction save over? Cause I'm going to need to replay ToD before I start CiT if you can (I lost my old save when my PS3 broke).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The demo, she is out! I've read that there will be two, one for ratchet, and one for clank. The clank one is up now, and there's some pretty cool moments in there. You get a wand that reverses time, which means instead of hitting things and breaking them, you hit broken things and fix them. It's a little thing, but as a long time player, it's really, really neat.

Also, this is my wife's favorite series. She bought us a PS3 so we could play the last one. So, you know, there's that. :)

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know if you can transfer weapons from a Tools of Destruction save over? Cause I'm going to need to replay ToD before I start CiT if you can (I lost my old save when my PS3 broke).

I read somewhere that having a ToD save will get you a discount with grummelnet vendors and access to some ToD weapons (Like the Mag-net launcher)

I think I also heard that having a Q4B save will get you a pirate hat.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I read somewhere that having a ToD save will get you a discount with grummelnet vendors and access to some ToD weapons (Like the Mag-net launcher)

I think I also heard that having a Q4B save will get you a pirate hat.

Huh. I guess we have to finish each game then? I guess I'm not starting Crack in Time until mid-November then...

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just picked up ToD recently. Haven't opened it yet, but I just finished the ACiT demo. Fun, but I can see the mechanic of time recordings getting really intricate and complicated. I guess it's a good thing it isn't in ToD then, eh?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00