As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MarioG wrote: »
    Did you guys see the IGN E3 interview with one of the devs from Insomniac? Apparently, time is not only an important part of the story but also a part of gameplay itself.

hmmm...like prince of persia style rewind? Or maybe you can go back in time to other ratchet games. Maybe it ships with all the ratchet games on one disc?! Maybe you can experience all of time simultaneously and play all the games at once!!

xraydog on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I still haven't played through anything past Deadlocked, so I'll probably get caught up on the latest offerings myself once classes end. I've already heard wonderful things about ToD, but does anyone have opinions on the PSP games?

Size Matters was good fun, though it was missing something. It's a good fun action/platformer, but fell just short of being really great. It's definitely worth playing, and it's really cheap these days. Secret Agent Clank... That's a mixed bag. Overall I had a good amount of fun with it, but man is it all over the place. The bits where you are Clank are awesome, the dialog is hilarious and has some great parodies (the Lost lucky numbers had me cackling on the train).

The Gadgebot sequences are okay, but the action is almost non existent and the platforming is pretty simple. The Quark bits range from simple and funny (like, the first mission as him) to simply irritating (the rest). The Ratchet bits are just you as Ratchet in a big round room, shooting at enemies with weapons you bought as Clank to send to Ratchet to use in jail (which isn't much. I found bolts to be pretty scarce). Most of the time I just found myself thinking 'stop making me play as these guys, I just want to do more Clank-fu'.

That said, I had a lot of fun with it. They aren't the best games in the series (or on the platform) but they are really fun.

I don't know how far along I was when I quit Size Matters. I was at some king of combine/harvester/airplane boss. I keep thinking about picking it (and Secret Agent Clank maybe) for PS2 just so that I can (hopefully) have camera control on the right stick.

That's right near the end :P I gave up there as well, because I didn't have a weapon that could harm it significantly. I read an upgraded shock rocket and the PDA are keys to wining the boss fight, so after like 6 months I picked it back up, upgraded the shock rocket and yeah, the boss was toast.

As for the camera, I found the easiest way to control both Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank was to put the strafing movement on the analog stick, and then just turn normally by turning the camera. After I did that I never bothered fucking around with the 2 different control schemes on the analog stick and d pad. The game controlled fine after that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So we jsut got a ps3, and tools of destruction. It's the only game I've got so I don't know if this is a general thing, but when I go to play it tells me there's not enough free space. I have 64 gb, it's a fresh machine. ANy idea what I can do to fix this?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delete or add 500MB of data to your hard drive. Prototype has that same install issue, it's some weird glitch with reading free space. Download a 500MB+ demo if you don't have any junk you want to delete. After that it should install and play fine.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Many thanks!

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Delete or add 500MB of data to your hard drive. Prototype has that same install issue, it's some weird glitch with reading free space. Download a 500MB+ demo if you don't have any junk you want to delete. After that it should install and play fine.
    That's hilarious, that's the same solution as when Looking Glass Studios' games failed to install with a low disk error. Ah, nostalgia.

Glal on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, there's a thread for this. I played it at E3. It's really fun, guys. The best new weapon was this sonic emitter thing that was just some little beastie attached to a handle that shouted when Ratchet pulled the trigger. There was a UI element on the screen that pulsed in time with the beastie's breathing- pulling the trigger at the low point did very little, pulling it at the high point was chaos.

It's nice to see the series isn't getting stale.

zilo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    Oh hey, there's a thread for this. I played it at E3. It's really fun, guys. The best new weapon was this sonic emitter thing that was just some little beastie attached to a handle that burped when Ratchet pulled the trigger.

Fixed. The creature burps, it doesn't shout.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The sections at E3, was it just Ratchet running around solo? I'm curious if that other Lombax is just a story character or an actual companion at some point.

Glal on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it's this guy: http://ratchet.wikia.com/wiki/Alister_Azimuth

I hope Ratchet's father makes an appearance too.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    The sections at E3, was it just Ratchet running around solo? I'm curious if that other Lombax is just a story character or an actual companion at some point.

Both. The youtube link on the last page shows him and Ratchet fighting together.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, there's a thread for this. I played it at E3. It's really fun, guys. The best new weapon was this sonic emitter thing that was just some little beastie attached to a handle that burped when Ratchet pulled the trigger.

It totally shouts. It didn't sound like a burp at all, and how would breathing affect burp magnitude?

C'mon man, that's just crazy.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It totally shouts. It didn't sound like a burp at all, and how would breathing affect burp magnitude?

It's Ratchet and Clank, It's supposed to be crazy.

From the insomniac blog.
    The demo started in a massive new area – the biggest ever seen in a R&C game – where Ratchet is fighting alongside General Azimuth. I got to see a hilarious new weapon called the Sonic Eruptor, which is a giant, belching frog on the end of a gun. There is a constant animation of it breathing in and out and if you fire when it’s at its fullest, you get a more vociferous burp resulting in more damage.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

Isn't Ratchet's father kinda dead?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's Ratchet and Clank, It's supposed to be crazy.
    From the insomniac blog.
    The demo started in a massive new area – the biggest ever seen in a R&C game – where Ratchet is fighting alongside General Azimuth. I got to see a hilarious new weapon called the Sonic Eruptor, which is a giant, belching frog on the end of a gun. There is a constant animation of it breathing in and out and if you fire when it’s at its fullest, you get a more vociferous burp resulting in more damage.
    And on the other hand in the YouTube video the Insomniac guy calls them howls. And they sound nothing like belching.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yes but the game subtitle implies time travel :) Maybe we'll get to see Lombax civilisation at its height and daddy Ratchet.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yes but the game subtitle implies time travel :) Maybe we'll get to see Lombax civilisation at its height and daddy Ratchet.

According to interviews, it's going to have a lot to do with time travel and what happened to the other Lombax's. I also remember reading something about Ratchet finding out about his family. But the old Lombax definitely isn't his dad, and they even revealed in an interview there's no secret twist where Azimuth turns out to be his dad al along.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reviving the thread to post the newest trailer. They also have a few interviews with some guy from Insomniac, who said some stuff about Clank's gameplay, the Constructo weapons (which are weapons who can adjust in every way as you see fit, but you have to hunt around for the upgrades), and how the Spiral of Death won the weapon creation contest.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/53474.html

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After not really liking the first Ratchet and Clank game I find myself wanting the PS3 ones. Don't really know why.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that the weapon to win the contest is just a blade you shoot that comes back. Like that hasn't been done before.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aaaaaaand the gun burps at the end :D

The only Ratchet and Clank games I've played are Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty and the PSP ones. However, the PS3 games are incredible.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was waiting for Sony to upload the Comic Con trailers/footage to the PS Store but it doesn't look like they're even going to bother to. I really have no clue why Sony can't upload trailers for their own games to the store, they haven't even got The Last Guardian's E3 trailer on there. Useless.

I'll download them from Gamersyde instead I guess. I'm finding that I never use Gametrailers anymore, they poorly compress footage WAY too often and really don't have good players playing when they show gameplay footage.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just finished Tools of Destruction a few hours ago. It was my first endeavor into the world of Ratchet and Clank and I was a bit hesitate at first for no real good reason. Man, it should have been why I bought the console. I totally loved it. It was one of those rare games for me that I just cannot put down unless I have too. I played for a good 3 straight hours when I first slid it into the PS3 on Wednesday. Fantastic game play, hilarious script and writing, and wonderful graphics made it just a very outstanding game for me.
    I'm holding off a bit before I buy the PSN Quest of Booty just to let it all soak in before going further into it. But I highly doubt I'll be able to hold off long. A Crack In Time is now one of my very highly anticipated titles that are coming out.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, it's games like Ratchet & Clank and 'Splosion Man on the 360's Arcade that make me wonder why so many companies feel the need to make games with epic stories and characters; just make something full of life and hilarity like Insomniac and Twisted Pixel do, for jokes about electrified underwear are much more enjoyable than Gears of War-level seriousness.

Regardless, I noticed something when watching the trailer again:
    When Ratchet says that Clank's in the Great Clock (doesn't say the name, but that's what the Insomniac developer diary guy called it) he's holding Alister's pocket watch. This makes me think that the pocket watch is either a gateway into the Great Clock, or is the Great Clock itself.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey! My thread! I'll add the new trailer.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just finished Tools of Destruction a few hours ago. It was my first endeavor into the world of Ratchet and Clank and I was a bit hesitate at first for no real good reason. Man, it should have been why I bought the console. I totally loved it. It was one of those rare games for me that I just cannot put down unless I have too. I played for a good 3 straight hours when I first slid it into the PS3 on Wednesday. Fantastic game play, hilarious script and writing, and wonderful graphics made it just a very outstanding game for me.
    I'm holding off a bit before I buy the PSN Quest of Booty just to let it all soak in before going further into it. But I highly doubt I'll be able to hold off long. A Crack In Time is now one of my very highly anticipated titles that are coming out.

TOD was my first Ratchet and Clank too and it had a similar effect on me. I wasn't expecting much from it, just a decent little platform romp I thought but then I couldn't put it down. So moreish, I would tell myself just one more level but I would end up playing several more. What made it click for me was switching off lock on aiming and using manual aim with inverted controls instead, I feel like that should be the default.

I played QFB in a bit over three hours in one sitting and I think that's the best way to experience it, an experience not unlike watching a film. Rusty Pete needs to come back for ACIT!

Moioink on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I noticed something when watching the trailer again:
    When Ratchet says that Clank's in the Great Clock (doesn't say the name, but that's what the Insomniac developer diary guy called it) he's holding Alister's pocket watch. This makes me think that the pocket watch is either a gateway into the Great Clock, or is the Great Clock itself.

An Insomniac rep said
    the Great Clock is at the center of the universe. I mean it's totally possible that both clocks exist at the same time in different locations (I wouldn't discount the possibility), but I suspect the pocket watch is just there to kind of nail home the time theme of Clock Blockers. I mean Crack in Time.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I 100% agree with you. I loved ToD. As others have stated, it feels as though you are playing a Pixar movie. If they ever released a trophy patch for ToD, I'd Platinum it so hard. :) This new trailer for CiT look great! I never got around to Quest for Booty, only because I heard it was short. (and knowing how much I played ToD I'd prolly beat Booty in 1 sitting) Maybe they will have some kinda promotion or something when CiT comes out, that Booty will go on sale and I can get my hands on both. To those who have played through ToD and Quest for Booty, do they go together at all story wise? Will I miss out on anything by skipping Booty and going straight for CiT? Probably not, but not sure.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    (and knowing how much I played ToD I'd prolly beat Booty in 1 sitting)

That's the best way to play Quest for Booty. Play it through in one sitting, and it's like a quick and fun Ratchet adventure to help ease the pain of the cliffhanger ending (which is what it was supposed to be anyway).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah, so glad the series has gone back to teh funnies after taking itself increasingly too seriously on the PS2. Gotta try the burp gun.

I swear, this series is what will cause me to break down and get a PS3 one of these days.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ah, so glad the series has gone back to teh funnies after taking itself increasingly too seriously on the PS2.

Wait, really? I mean Gladiator was a bit of a tone shift but it still had its moments. Otherwise I don't see where you're coming from here.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Ah, so glad the series has gone back to teh funnies after taking itself increasingly too seriously on the PS2.

Wait, really? I mean Gladiator was a bit of a tone shift but it still had its moments. Otherwise I don't see where you're coming from here.

The third one was getting fairly dark with all those military assault missions, and aside from a few funny points Ratchet: Deadlocked was downright grim. Trapping Ratchet in evil-looking armor and forcing him to fight? Blowing up Al for no apparent reason? Just didn't work for me. The first two games were mostly funny with a teensy bit of peril to drive the plot along.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The third one was getting fairly dark with all those military assault missions, and aside from a few funny points Ratchet: Deadlocked was downright grim. Trapping Ratchet in evil-looking armor and forcing him to fight? Blowing up Al for no apparent reason? Just didn't work for me. The first two games were mostly funny with a teensy bit of peril to drive the plot along.

Gonna disagree with the third one. I'm not sure how dark a game can possibly be with Dr Nefarious as the bad guy. The assault missions were fine because the Galactic Rangers were so utterly inept.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Gonna disagree with the third one. I'm not sure how dark a game can possibly be with Dr Nefarious as the bad guy. The assault missions were fine because the Galactic Rangers were so utterly inept.

Well, I said GETTING dark. Dr. Nefarious aside I still feel like it was a little less funny than the first two, but still plenty funny.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Seconding Sno. Pretending Gladiator never existed ('cause it's shit) the series was never particularly grim nor dark. Hell, the first game's big bad was darker than Nefarious.

Glal on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Sort-of new info on space travel.

It kinda reminds me of sailing in windwaker...if the king of red lions could shoot lasers out of his eyes and homing rockets out of his mouth.

Vray on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really don't know what they're thinking, releasing RiC and Uncharted 2 only 2 weeks apart

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    I really don't know what they're thinking, releasing RiC and Uncharted 2 only 2 weeks apart

I haven't known what they've been thinking all year. They announced the game at GDC but didn't show any footage at all, which led to a lot of journalists forgetting it'd been announced in the first place. Since then, it seems like they've announced every new feature at completely obscure times and have in turn, received very little publicity. And now they've announced that it's coming out in probably the most crowded month this year... Oh and Insomniac can't even seem to get their bi-weekly podcast out bi-weekly.

I cringe just thinking of how poorly it's going to sell. I mean, I'm still buying it but it's going to be sitting on my shelf until I've finished Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and Alpha Protocol (all of which are also released in October).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

what's with all the hate for deadlocked?

it was plenty funny and the co-op was more than worth the price of admission

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

They did it 2 years ago as well with Uncharted and Tools of Destruction.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

They did it 2 years ago as well with Uncharted and Tools of Destruction.

I didn't have a PS3 at that time, and even then, I knew a new Ratchet and Clank was coming, and I was jealous.

Now I have a PS3 and keep up on PS3 news, but damn, hearing next to nothing about this game.

UnbreakableVow on