As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

• Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just picked up my copy. The manual is neat. Weird: some of the french descriptions made it into the english side of my Canadian manual.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can transfer weapons from a Tools of Destruction save over? Cause I'm going to need to replay ToD before I start CiT if you can (I lost my old save when my PS3 broke).

I read somewhere that having a ToD save will get you a discount with grummelnet vendors and access to some ToD weapons (Like the Mag-net launcher)

I think I also heard that having a Q4B save will get you a pirate hat.

That is great! The Mag-Net was my favorite weapon from Tools of Destruction.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I lost my ToD Save but I'm rocking the pirate hat.

I'm surprised, but this ate my Borderlands time last night. It's been a fantastic adventure romp so far. I don't know if I've ever seen my TV so damned colourful.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grabbed the demo last night on the playstation store. Fully intend to pick this up as I've played every game in this series. A really, really good platformer. I don't know that I care too much for the seperate ratchet and seperate clank gameplay as I much preferred them together. Having said that, it seems like they've really fleshed out the clank parts to give him a good movement set. It was so limited before that it wasn't much fun.

The puzzles though, those can get downright confusing in a hurry.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, Clank levels in Crack in Time are so much better than Tools of Destruction's. Some of those later puzzles left me a bit stumped.

Also, the Spiral of Death/Carnage is so powerful and fun to use.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, Clank levels in Crack in Time are so much better than Tools of Destruction's. Some of those later puzzles left me a bit stumped.

Also, the Spiral of Death/Carnage is so powerful and fun to use.

I kept hitting the triangle button as I'd complete them, resetting me. Talk about your ID10T errors.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yarrrrgh. Need PS3.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, apparently if you only collect about a third of the treasures and whatnot, the game lasts about a day and a half, as I just found out. At least I rented it for now, I can wait until Christmas to get it and do Challenge Mode and get the rest of the collectibles.

Good news for those who don't mind a spoiler:
    The series does not end on a "The End" note; that is, it can be continued.

Also, the RYNO V is highly inaccurate, but it is so much fun to just watch the huge stream of bullets, lasers, and rockets flying everywhere to the 1812 Overture.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How many hours was in that day and a half of playing? I see people say that, and then admit that they played for like 6-7 hours a day, and it's 12 hours long, which generally takes me a couple of weeks.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it equaled out to about 10-12. I did stay up until 4 this morning playing, and only had to go through two levels today to wrap it up. So it is longer than the average R&C when you take the sidequests into account.

Really shouldn't stay up until 4, had to drag my ass out of bed just 5 hours later.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Anybody got the premium version or whatever they call it, with the extra ingame planet and weapon thingies? I'm especially interested in the Bolt Magnetizer, what does it do precisely and is it worth it? What about that exclusive planet?

Opium on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it equaled out to about 10-12. I did stay up until 4 this morning playing, and only had to go through two levels today to wrap it up. So it is longer than the average R&C when you take the sidequests into account.

Really shouldn't stay up until 4, had to drag my ass out of bed just 5 hours later.

Weird . .. I just stayed up until 4am playing, and got up 5 hours later. Anyway, not a lot of games are "4am" worthy but I think this is one of them. My impressions after about 3-4 hours:

The good:
    Everything just feels right. This is what ToD was missing (although I did have a lot of fun with that my second time through, levelling weapons and such). There are a lot of little things that go into this, whether it be throwing the wrench into stacks of boxes, or the way enemies react to every shot. ToD was really guilty of feeling like all the animation was canned. You would fire the shotgun (can't remember the exact name in that one) into a group of enemies, and they would only react if it was the killing blow.
    The mods for the constructo weapons. Good stuff. I particularly like the couple of bomb ones I've found so far.
    The moons/small planets in between the big ones. Ratchet and Clank meets Super Mario Galaxy for small snippets of unadulterated platforming? Yes, please!
    I'm liking some of the humor so far. ("Space. It's huge.")
    The Clank time puzzles; whoa. The first set was relatively tame, but the second was giving me that "I'm the smartest man alive" feeling once figuring them out. Hopefully they won't get to the point of needing a faq but awesome so far.
    Dr. Nefarious and Lawrence! Great to have them back. Nefarious's speech in UYA where Lawrence is signing it for the hearing impaired is still one of the funniest things I've seen in a game. Tachyon always kind of annoyed me so it's nice to have a fun villain again.

The bad:
    Not crazy about them using pallete swapped enemies from ToD. There's so much other new stuff that it's not a big deal, but still.
    Like the Tornado in ToD, I find the Dynamo of Doom too unwieldy to make it anything more than an occasional gimmick. Same for those spikes you stick in the ground; cool ideas but I just can't get them to work very well. Maybe with some upgrades they'd be more fun. Shame too because I was looking forward to both of those from reading the reviews. Of course my fish belcher . . thing is pretty much decimating everything so /shrug.

The "not sure how I feel about this" yet:
    The space overworld. It's fun, but a bit repetitive (kill 20, then another 20, etc.). I need to see if/how they interject some more variety in it to decide if it was actually that much better than just selecting planets from the map.
    The Clank "fix the rifts" mini-game. You knew something like this would be in there. And I do like it more that the Electrolyzer, Inflitrator, etc. from the previous games. But it's just not something I look forward to doing.

All in all it's just a fun, super polished AAA title. My expectations were pretty high actually, and I haven't been disappointed. Come to think of it that's the third one in a row (Demon's Souls/Uncharted 2). Nice to finally use my Blu-ray player for something else. I'm even almost used to the super squishy L2/R2 buttons! (almost).

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    Anybody got the premium version or whatever they call it, with the extra ingame planet and weapon thingies? I'm especially interested in the Bolt Magnetizer, what does it do precisely and is it worth it? What about that exclusive planet?

I don't have a "premium version" but I pre-ordered from Amazon.com because of a $5 discount or something. I got it on release day and thought, "This is cool, cheaper than the store, lots of fun, whatever."

Played it last night and enjoyed the crap right out of it.

Checked my email this morning and there's a message from Amazon that says, "Your Bonus for Ordering "Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time" at Amazon.com" in the subject line. I open it and lo and behold, there's a code which will provide me access to "Ratchet & Clank's Bolt Package (which unlocks the Box Basher power-up, Bolt Magnetizer power-up, and 5,000 bolts)"!

I had no idea I was getting a bonus for pre-ordering.

I haven't had a chance to play with them, yet. Also, I obviously won't have the extra planet.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just got my Amazon pre-order bonus code in my e-mail. It's for the box basher, bolt magnetizer, and 5,000 bolts. Not much use to me since I've gotten them already from my normal playthrough. Anyone want?

Vray on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I just got my Amazon pre-order bonus code in my e-mail. It's for the box basher, bolt magnetizer, and 5,000 bolts. Not much use to me since I've gotten them already from my normal playthrough. Anyone want?

Yes please? :)

Trade you a Ratchet XMB theme code for em!

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Threepio wrote: »

Yes please? :)

Trade you a Ratchet XMB theme code for em!

Done. Thanks for the XMB code. I feel like I got the better end of the deal to be perfectly honest. Now if there were a promotional deal to get the gold bolts...

(That clank challenge in sector two for a gold bolt was a major PITA simply because of the extreme time constraints.)

Double edit: Ohhh. It's a dynamic theme too. Nice

Vray on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I aim to please. I had two XMB codes, so it worked out well for both of us!

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shit, I want that theme.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it shiny?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It has Azimuth and Ratchet looking over a canyon in silhouette. The dynamic part is the clock in the background that breaks and reforms with lightning and actually tells the correct time. The icons and sound effects are pretty awesome too.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I only need to finish this challenge mode and I'll have another platinum trophy under my belt.

Also, I don't know if this has been pointed out but according to the end credits Nolan North voiced Sigmund and the robotic underlings of Nefarious. He seems to have been quite busy lately.

Vray on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man, I don't know why I keep playing these games.

they're all exactly the fucking same and I never finish them.

and yet here I am.

Duki on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I finished every one of these games and through the trailers I saw Nefarious and Quark. Nefarious was my favorite baddie from the series. That and the "britney spears" robot sub-boss. That one just made me laugh though I cant remember the name now.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Courtney Gears. The music on the fight against her really sells it: (skip ahead about a minute)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qusz6Q7c3Gs

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone have a spare code for the dynamic theme?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    man, I don't know why I keep playing these games.

they're all exactly the fucking same and I never finish them.

and yet here I am.

You should sent it to me. I will play it and hug it and love it forever.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man having an infant and a job with shitty hours really sucks. I've been wanting to play this since I finished ToD

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man having an infant and a job with shitty hours really sucks. I've been wanting to play this since I finished ToD

Don't worry. You'll find...time

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I am weak. I just picked this up last night. I have no idea when I'll get to it due to Borderlands, but I can't resist me some Ratchet and Clank. Esp when trying to play in front of kids. It's also one of the now 4 games for PS3 I own. Love ratchet and clank.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Got my platinum trophy tonight. Tomorrow I go for the last of the skill points. Even when done with that I'll probably go through a few more times. Playing in super speed mode as a tiny Dr. Nefarious shooting rainbows out of humongous guns and whacking things with a rubber chicken.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Got my platinum trophy tonight. Tomorrow I go for the last of the skill points. Even when done with that I'll probably go through a few more times. Playing in super speed mode as a tiny Dr. Nefarious shooting rainbows out of humongous guns and whacking things with a rubber chicken.

In hindsight I wish I had played in hard mode my first run. It's the only trophy I have left to get. Never been much for the skill points in these games, so I'm a little relieved that it's not "required". Was also surprised that none of the trophies had anything to do with upgrading all your weapons. I would rather have done that than play the Qwark mini-game. I know they were trying to be "retro" with it but I just found it to be frustrating/uninteresting. A similar design/layout but with the in-game graphics could have been really great.

Also, man those last four bolts (for extra Clank time puzzles) were tough. Like "head asplode" tough. I wish they had eased it up just a bit. On three of them I had the right strategy but had to rerecord it several times, shaving off fractions of a second, because I would reach the door about 1-2 seconds too late. It's funny how easy/straightforward the regular ones seem after that. Still, that gameplay is really fun so I hope they release some DLC with more of those puzzles.

EdS25 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aaaaand all skill points gotten. Saved "Flawless" (defeat all 20 waves of the final raritanium cup challenge without taking a hit) for last as I figured it would be hard. Turns out using the Omega Chimpositron VX for the first 18 rounds and the Omega Ryno V for the bosses makes it a cakewalk. Afterwords I noticed that I'm number 7 on the leaderboards for monkeys made :lol:.

This is probably my favorite R+C yet. Followed closely by UYA.

Edit: Nefarious and Lawrence are great. I don't know if anything can top the Galactic Idol audition though.

Vray on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This series makes me wish I had a PS3.

How's Nefarious and Lawrence in this one? Any scenes to rival my favourite from UYA, the Galactic Idol audition tape? I loved that bit.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    This series makes me wish I had a PS3.

How's Nefarious and Lawrence in this one? Any scenes to rival my favourite from UYA, the Galactic Idol audition tape? I loved that bit.

This is still my favorite scene from UYA:

Introducing Dr. Nefarious

And yeah, there are a few scenes that rival that (beating Lord Vorselon at the fighting game comes to mind, as well as anytime Lance and Janice show up). While not over the top hilarious, the Dr's animation in some of the cutscenes is really well done. I enjoyed watching those a second and third time and picking up on a lot of little details.

As far as best game in the series, I still think UYA has a slight edge. That game was just ridiculously well made. The weapons, vehicles, mini-game, pacing and variety are all just a slight step up from ACiT. ACiT was still fantastic though. If Insomniac can keep this level of quality I'll certainly keep buying them every 2 years.

EdS25 on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Please tell me that the tentacle rift gun thingy is called the 'Cthulhu Cannon', that would make my day...

Anyway I don't have a PS3 but I loved all the PS2 R&C games and it's nice to see the games are still going strong. If I ever do get my hands on a PS3 this'll be one of the first games I get.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Am I the only one who is kind of dissappointed with the weapons in this game?

I mean, don't get me wrong, the constructo weapons are really neat, but there are only three of them, and the rest fo the weapons (unless I'm missing something) can only be leveled up, not actually upgraded.

Evander on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A have an odd problem.

My flatmate accidentally bought the Asian version of A Crack in Time. It works perfectly, everything is in english - except for the stuff you unlock with saves from previous games. We have the European versions of Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty, and the Asian version of this game doesn't recognise them.

I've looked on Gamefaqs and PS3gamesaves.net, but no one seems to have saves from the Asian version of the previous games.

Any suggestions?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh my god the last boss is so bullshit. It must've taken me 15 minutes to take off half his life and then if you die, straight back to the beginning. He didn't even kill me, I fell through one of the bloody holes in the floor (which I hadn't realised was even there).

Jandaru: No clue sorry. I'm surprised it doesn't work with the PAL saves actually, since Insomniac have in the past put every regions code on the one disc (so the version you play is determined by the region you bought the PS3, not the region you bought the game).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Despite owning a ps2 for the last few years I've never actually played the Ratchet series. I guess I bought into the "Ratchet is a bad version of Jak" line of thought, especially after grinding through the Jak series more out of boredom than any actual joy.

So imagine my surprise when I bought the first R+C and it's actually... really damn fun. :mrgreen: The stylized graphics aren't all that dated, and the lack of collectathons make the gametime fly by. The targeting can be a bit wonky and the controls are pretty much the definition of fiddly, but I had a blast with it.

The biggest shock was that, unlike Jak 1 and Sly Cooper, the first Ratchet and Clank is actually pretty challenging. After a few easy levels the game suddenly bitchslaps you with a tough-as-nails lava level that nearly had me throwing the controller. Decidedly old school trial and error, which ain't necessarily a bad thing.

I also managed to pick up Going Commando last weekend, as I hear the series gets even better. I assume that all the ps2 versions are worth playing before touching the ps3 series?

P.S. The last boss can go **** itself. After finally making my way to him and getting to his last sliver of health, he pulls out his cannon that turns blue and... the game freezes on me. Granted, it was 3 am so it was probably best for me to stop playing for a bit. Booted it up the next day and finally managed to get through it, despite screaming my head off at the damn camera system.

P.S.S. What's the deal with the skill points in the first game? I thought that after beating the game the Goodies menu would tell me what I'd have to do for each one. Instead, all it gives me is a title and the planet. While I could see how some of the hints could be useful, how the hell did some people figure out some of them? Like the game says there is one called "Girl Trouble" which apparently translates to killing a boss with only a wrench. Does the game even somehow hint at this or did one person randomly discover it?

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jandaru: No clue sorry. I'm surprised it doesn't work with the PAL saves actually, since Insomniac have in the past put every regions code on the one disc (so the version you play is determined by the region you bought the PS3, not the region you bought the game).

Interesting.
    No worries though, my flatmate's put the asian version up on TradeMe, and is going to put the money towards a copy of the european version.
    Tune in next week when I bitch about not being able to use my asian save! (apparently there is a pretty easy workaround for this, I'm not really worried)

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png