Options

The Under[chat]

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    So guys I was thinking, a lot of people feel that something is okay or not okay but choose to go ahead with it regardless... most everyone has these things. You think it to be morally dubious to eat meat, yet you consume it; you think filesharing is wrong but torrent with the best of them... etc. Or maybe you're a perfect, incredibly willed person who is entirely integrated. But since you're not: which one of your contradictions bothers you the most?

I'm on people constantly to admit their problems, talk about them. It always helps, and everytime I'm there to help someone, they end up feeling better, and I'm glad I helped.

It's great.

Wait, you want me... you want me to talk? About how I'm feeling? About my problems?

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    If it were a buyers market I'd be on you about investing. Wait, it is. Go invest.

Give me money and I will.

1000 shares of Ford is like $3,000 right now after commission. $3,000 is still a lot of money, and investing means you don't touch that shit for several years, but it's still a ridiculous bargain if you can swing it.

You can always grab mutuals instead of direct investing, and you don't need 1000 shares. You could buy 4 shares. Or 3. Or 15.

Yeah, but then they bleed you with small fees. Plus right now you have to be careful; not every "safe bet" is going to survive this downturn. Better a scalpel than a hatchet, these days.

Depends on who your broker is.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    So take ~$4,000-4,500 and open an Online Direct Savings Account then put ~$500-1,000 into a Value or Value Plus checking account that you use to pay your bills, monthly expenses, and/or get cash from an ATM. Whatever you pay out per month transfer back in from your savings account so you always have ~$500-1,000 in checking for the next middle of the month/binge drinking session. You'll make more money this way.

Since I basically won't have any bills during basic should I just put it all in a HYSA?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    2%? 4%? You may as well keep your money in a mattress.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh year Sarksus did you get the free ep from http://ninja2009.com/ ?

I did not. Thanks so much, I wanted to sample Jane's Addiction and Street Sweeper.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Hey, it's Sarksus. Where you been dude?

I had a fantastical mental breakdown a week ago and decided to take some time off to think about my life. I'm not quite nearly finished working it all out, but I was tired of being withdrawn so I decided to start posting again.

How's it goin'.

A little of Column A, a little of Column B.

A surprising amount from Column Σ.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

If you have like 100,000,000 in the bank, you're getting like 2 million a year just on interest.

What's wrong with that?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CDs aren't doing much better. And low interest is always the tradeoff for no risk.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If it were a buyers market I'd be on you about investing. Wait, it is. Go invest.

Give me money and I will.

1000 shares of Ford is like $3,000 right now after commission. $3,000 is still a lot of money, and investing means you don't touch that shit for several years, but it's still a ridiculous bargain if you can swing it.

You can always grab mutuals instead of direct investing, and you don't need 1000 shares. You could buy 4 shares. Or 3. Or 15.

Yeah, but then they bleed you with small fees. Plus right now you have to be careful; not every "safe bet" is going to survive this downturn. Better a scalpel than a hatchet, these days.

Depends on who your broker is.

My broker is me and the internet. :P

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Many free checking accounts are interest bearing.

And the interest is, like, 0.2%. Why bother when you can just transfer what you need in from your savings account that makes, you know, 15x that.

But those require a minimum balance.

I can live with $1 being untouchable for the rest of my financial life. Also, a lot of banks wave any fees provided you have a direct deposit occur once monthly.

Plus Shorebank is a community development bank so it invests in rebuilding communities and sustainable loans for areas that are not generally serviced by other banks. They also helped the Nobel Peace Prize winner who founded the Grameen Bank get off his feet. So you help promote all that liberal guilt assuaging stuff while also earning the highest APR/Y in the country. Beat that.

moniker on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

And the interest is, like, 0.2%. Why bother when you can just transfer what you need in from your savings account that makes, you know, 15x that.

But those require a minimum balance.

I can live with $1 being untouchable for the rest of my financial life. Also, a lot of banks wave any fees provided you have a direct deposit occur once monthly.

Plus Shorebank is a community development bank so it invests in rebuilding communities and sustainable loans for areas that are not generally serviced by other banks. They also helped the Nobel Peace Prize winner who founded the Grameen Bank get off his feet. So you help promote all that liberal guilt assuaging stuff while also earning the highest APR/Y in the country. Beat that.
    Wait, they took him off his feet? They kneecapped a Nobel Prize winner?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

If you have like 100,000,000 in the bank, you're getting like 2 million a year just on interest.

What's wrong with that?

you're losing 2.5 million in inflation.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Not any more. I have an ING savings account, the interest on it has dropped by half over the last year or so. It sucks.

Shorebank is quite literally double your ING rate.

Well, okay 1.866667x your rate, but still.
    ING is hovering around 2% now. Shorebank is almost 4?

I thought you guys were 1.5? And Shorebank is 2.8, just recently down from 3.something a month or two ago.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What's wrong with that?

Most savings accounts with an interest rate that high have a maximum deposit limit. Plus, if you actually had $100m in one of the banks that just went down recently, FDIC would only have covered 0.25% of your balance.

You'd be many different kinds of ruined. :D

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    CDs aren't doing much better. And low interest is always the tradeoff for no risk.

They aren't. It makes me very sad.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I had a fantastical mental breakdown a week ago and decided to take some time off to think about my life. I'm not quite nearly finished working it all out, but I was tired of being withdrawn so I decided to start posting again.

How's it goin'.

Here's how you cope: go to law school. Whenever a guilty person gets acquited, put on a red leather costume and track him down and murder him and all of his friends. If you need help figuring out which not guilty people are actually guilty, just remember that the worse the crime is the guiltier they probably are. So if someone's on trial for rape, they did it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009

No, you're still beating inflation and it's nice to have a safe cushion of money that you can spend without having to reach for a mason jar full of quarters or potentially being forced to sell in a down market.

Do you seriously only have what cash is in your pocket and everything else is in equities? Because that sounds like the most horrible situation someone can be in right now.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Res wrote: »

How's it goin'.

Here's how you cope: go to law school. Whenever a guilty person gets acquited, put on a red leather costume and track him down and murder him and all of his friends. If you need help figuring out which not guilty people are actually guilty, just remember that the worse the crime is the guiltier they probably are. So if someone's on trial for rape, they did it.

Do I have to get radioactive crap in my eyes?

Do I get to fuck Matt Damon?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

No, you're still beating inflation and it's nice to have a safe cushion of money that you can spend without having to reach for a mason jar full of quarters or potentially being forced to sell in a down market.

Do you seriously only have what cash is in your pocket and everything else is in equities? Because that sounds like the most horrible situation someone can be in right now.

No, I also have rotating CDs and my IRA (which isn't invested in equities).

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2009

How's it goin'.

Do I have to get radioactive crap in my eyes?

Do I get to fuck Matt Damon?

No, only if you're really good at it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I need to get a less reactive imagination. This one acquired some otakuriffic music last night and has spawned an entire concept for a series already, with a decently sized cast.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Not any more. I have an ING savings account, the interest on it has dropped by half over the last year or so. It sucks.

Shorebank is quite literally double your ING rate.

Well, okay 1.866667x your rate, but still.
    ING is hovering around 2% now. Shorebank is almost 4?

I thought you guys were 1.5? And Shorebank is 2.8, just recently down from 3.something a month or two ago.
    Man, you're right. Last I checked it was in mid-February, it was at 2.1. Now it's at 1.6.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So take ~$4,000-4,500 and open an Online Direct Savings Account then put ~$500-1,000 into a Value or Value Plus checking account that you use to pay your bills, monthly expenses, and/or get cash from an ATM. Whatever you pay out per month transfer back in from your savings account so you always have ~$500-1,000 in checking for the next middle of the month/binge drinking session. You'll make more money this way.

Since I basically won't have any bills during basic should I just put it all in a HYSA?

I'd still open a checking account just so you have the capability of writing a check/doing online bill pay for anything that might come up. But definitely only put ~$100-500 in it since you aren't really going to use it. The Value Plus one doesn't have any non-Shorebank ATM fees, and is free provided you have a direct deposit a month go into it. Otherwise use the Value Checking which is free with a $500 daily balance or $2,500 combined balance.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Meh, if you need liquid cash it's a bad time to put money in equities that may ofr may not get worse before they're better.

If you're saving long term you should probably buy some shit up.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That is incredibly depressing. I remember when ING accounts had a four or five percent rate.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

:?:

Also whatever account I put my bonus into, I'll also be depositing my salary (which I'll be receiving while at basic) into it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    and don't want my ATM card to be worth gobs of money if it were to be stolen.
    Absolutely nothing you need to worry about. You are on the hook for no more than, I think $100 no matter the amount they spend. There are tons of regulations protecting you.

Yeah, but still. Besides anything more than what I need to pay per month plus petty cash is just sitting there being wasted. So why have thousands of dollars rolling around in my checking account when that could be making me money in a savings.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Elldren, are you in the financial services industry or do you just have a good job that affords you the chance play around with your investments a bit? A business/econ degree? Because you really seem to be on the ball about all this stuff. I'm envious; if I had been able to convince my parents what to buy and when over the years (five or six different "tips") we would have made a #%(&ing fortune.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My wife's company matches 401k contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 5% of her salary, which is what she's putting in. But the company plan is shit, there's nothing that's no risk, and only one low-risk option. Almost all the other options have lost around 50% of their value in the last year. Fortunately right when things started to go sour I had her pull everything into the one low-risk option, so she only lost about 6%.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That is incredibly depressing. I remember when ING accounts had a four or five percent rate.

Inflation is nobody's friend.

Except the CBO, but fuck those assholes.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'd still open a checking account just so you have the capability of writing a check/doing online bill pay for anything that might come up. But definitely only put ~$100-500 in it since you aren't really going to use it. The Value Plus one doesn't have any non-Shorebank ATM fees, and is free provided you have a direct deposit a month go into it. Otherwise use the Value Checking which is free with a $500 daily balance or $2,500 combined balance.

Ah, ok. But I'll have to put the money in another account first, right? You know, to transfer it there.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Elldren, are you in the financial services industry or do you just have a good job that affords you the chance play around with your investments a bit? A business/econ degree? Because you really seem to be on the ball about all this stuff. I'm envious; if I had been able to convince my parents what to buy and when over the years (five or six different "tips") we would have made a #%(&ing fortune.

My father had a good insurance policy.

Also taught me economics on his knee.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009

Well maybe if Mr. Hussein weren't printing money by the Rosie O'Donnell-load...

:mad:

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Meh, if you need liquid cash it's a bad time to put money in equities that may ofr may not get worse before they're better.

How does a person live without needing liquid cash? Even if you're living with your parents and they cook everything; you still have to buy gas, and have a cell phone.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

How does a person live without needing liquid cash? Even if you're living with your parents and they cook everything; you still have to buy gas, and have a cell phone.

That is what jobs are for, not savings.

edit: I'm also a hypocrite.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Laddered 60mos CD's are nice, but they don't provide much of a cushion if you get F'd in the A and happen to be 10, 11 months away from maturation.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

My father had a good insurance policy.

Also taught me economics on his knee.

Any room left on that knee? I don't weigh very much...

PWEEEEEEEESE????
    prettypleasecatg.jpg

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You know, working while you're in school is kind of a drag, until it's tax time.

I have a vague urge to do something responsible with my tax refund.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well maybe if Mr. Hussein weren't printing money by the Rosie O'Donnell-load...

:mad:

Also DPRK. And Russian OC. And Mexican. And South-American.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, working while you're in school is kind of a drag, until it's tax time.

I have a vague urge to do something responsible with my tax refund.

Don't.

yalborap on
This discussion has been closed.