As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now With 50% Less [CHAT]

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I make preserves/jam in the summer

from hand-picked berries!

it's pretty fun and awesome

you are like the most New Englandy, New Englander in the world

New England fucking rocks

My roommate is nuts for making preserves. Around here there are tons of high-bush cranberries, wild blueberries and salmon berries. We both go up into the alpine in the summer (I say this like I've been here for more than a summer) and I poke about with my camera while she fills up nalgene bottles with berries for later. It's kind of a nice system. If you really wanted to you could go without ever buying groceries here, there's just so many options for harvesting wild berries and game. I, for one, do not want to live off of wild berries and game however.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hawaii is too hot, and dry for my taste. And New England is superb during the late fall, and winter. But the spring time is a total bitch on my allergies, and summer is still too hot, and humid. I've yet to find the right corner on this Earth for me to inhabit climate wise.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »

My roommate is nuts for making preserves. Around here there are tons of high-bush cranberries, wild blueberries and salmon berries. We both go up into the alpine in the summer (I say this like I've been here for more than a summer) and I poke about with my camera while she fills up nalgene bottles with berries for later. It's kind of a nice system. If you really wanted to you could go without ever buying groceries here, there's just so many options for harvesting wild berries and game. I, for one, do not want to live off of wild berries and game however.

SALMON BERRIES? I am curious.

We've got a hell of a lot of wild raspberries, some blackberries...and the rare mini-blueberry bush. There's a place around where I live that has a number of orchards and berry patches throughout the year where you can "pick your own"...it's really popular, and it's one of my "HAVE TO DO THIS" activities every summer.

That, and every fall, when you go there....they make their own [AMAZING] apple cider from their own apples, and then make apple cider donuts, which are pretty much the best things in the entire universe.

They've got apples (lots of varieties), peaches, pears, pumpkins, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and maybe one or two other things I've forgotten.

OOOH SUMMER I LOVE YOU, COME QUICKLY

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    Hawaii is too hot, and dry for my taste. And New England is superb during the late fall, and winter. But the spring time is a total bitch on my allergies, and summer is still too hot, and humid. I've yet to find the right corner on this Earth for me to inhabit climate wise.

I've never been anywhere with crazier pollen than Savannah. Never visit Savannah in the spring if New England's allergies get to ya that badly! :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

If you think Hawaii is hot, stay far away from the Cayman islands. I've been there twice and every time it felt like I was roasting in an oven.

Hawaii, while indeed hot, is more of a subtle heat; the kind where it doesn't feel too bad outside, and then you walk back into your hotel room with deep red sunburns because you didn't feel like you needed suntan lotion it at the time. The Cayman islands has dry, hard-hitting heat, so you can tell right off the bat if you're gonna want to spend the day at the beach or at home.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I don't voluntarily go near any place with a high pollen count, and/or a hot and dry climate. Those places are just not suited for me. I need low, low temperatures, with snow and heavy ass rain. That's like paradise to me.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I bleed maple syrup.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just have to show this to people (if you haven't seen it).

Favorite image of the moment:
    http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g51/187651/187651_1229613761_large.jpg

soooooooo gooooooooood!

It's the only piece of non-fractal art that's made it to my desktop background. Looking at it just makes me happy.

[edit] YESS!!!! My fractal-background-guy's website is back up after a crazy long absence!

http://exoteric.roach.org/bg/

Some of them are "meh"....but a lot of them are fanTASTIC.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I fully understand the need for photo manip in production art, but it still just doesn't impress me as much as a painting.

rts on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just like the entire "YES TEXTURE" and "oh boy that's spikey" and "WOO SCALE" effect.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It definitely does it's job well.

rts on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Stop making me feel silly!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've never seen any place as verdant as the South in North America during the spring and summer, nothing at all to equal the Redwood forest, and nothing quite like New England during the autumn and early winter in North America.

Though I have yet to fully explore the Midwest, Alaska, Hawaii, and the Northwest.

Texas, for the most part, looks dead

Texas is just a nice place to live cause the people are more friendly...In my expirence. I lived in Oklahoma most my life and it sucks cause its rich white snobby people claming to be indian when you know damn well they probably slaughtered them. Then I moved to Texas and wow, everybody was poor like me. Most of us didn't have cable, so we were on the same channel. We would come to school the next day and say "Did you watch the simpsons last night?" Or Smallville, or one of the free stations. Fox, Abc, WB.

But damn oklahoma people. I was hanging with my asian friends and they started talking to this one white chick and she said she was like 8 different races besides white. She even said she was Chinese....Literally she said.

"I have some Chinese in me but I was never really good at math."....WTF!

I mostly like a place if the people are cool or not.

Anyhoo, I see what you mean about the bollywood film. I picked that clip mostly for the music. I just wanted to hear something besides American indie stuff, french electric, and Japanese stuff. I just like hearing different cultures. And I like different dances.(been addicted to Michael Jackson) Besides, that wasn't the main woman in the movie. The woman is actually a really good dancer, and a kick ass warrior.

But whatever, I'm off topic...I think...I'm half awake and I start blabbering.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Though I have yet to fully explore the Midwest, Alaska, Hawaii, and the Northwest.

Alaska's cool if you like trees and loneliness. Also, moose.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always find it very amusing when people make great claims as to their racial heritage in order to appear more interesting.

A friend and I were once in a bar in New York and one of the locals excitedly told us, "Oh, you guys are English?? The owner is English, he'd love to meet you!"

So out comes this guy who has the most rediculous sounding faux-British accent I've ever heard and it's very clearly put on.

"I'm from Cambridge!" he says. After speaking to him it becomes very apparent that he studied there for a while and decided to pretend he'd picked up the accent because it would make him sound more interesting back in NY.

He was harmless enough and bought us a few drinks but we came away thinking... what a douchebag! :lol:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    I always find it very amusing when people make great claims as to their racial heritage in order to appear more interesting.

A friend and I were once in a bar in New York and one of the locals excitedly told us, "Oh, you guys are English?? The owner is English, he'd love to meet you!"

So out comes this guy who has the most rediculous sounding faux-British accent I've ever heard and it's very clearly put on.

"I'm from Cambridge!" he says. After speaking to him it becomes very apparent that he studied there for a while and decided to pretend he'd picked up the accent because it would make him sound more interesting back in NY.

He was harmless enough and bought us a few drinks but we came away thinking... what a douchebag! :lol:

Exactly! When People do that, claim to be some other race that they are not. Its cause they think they are boaring and they hate themselves very much.

My mom IS from Mexico, and my dad IS from Iceland. So I KNOW I'm half mexican/iceland, but i usually go with white cause I look white and can't speak spanish, and I don't get beaten up by cops. I mean, my mom looks white, then people freak out when she starts speaking spanish. We're camouflage. It play's out like this.

Cop-"Hey I pulled you over cause, OH! Your white, NVM, go on ahead"
    ........"Wait a minute....I smell beans."

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    haha... yeah, it is an odd thing to do.

The whole Brooklyn Irish thing -- why claim to have some affiliation with a place where you have never, ever been? You're not bloody Irish, you're American!

Grenn on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I've never been anywhere with crazier pollen than Savannah. Never visit Savannah in the spring if New England's allergies get to ya that badly! :P

It's the South's version of natural selection. If you can take the pollen, we let you stay.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pious wrote: »
    my mom looks white, then people freak out when she starts speaking spanish.

Hahahahah!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    I fully understand the need for photo manip in production art, but it still just doesn't impress me as much as a painting.

Well, at least you don't come off as condescending. :p

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Goddamn telstra screwed up my internet again. But I'm back. Again.

(Well actually, I've had the internet for a few days now. But for the last few nights I've been averaging about 3 hours of sleep, and haven't really had time to post. Speaking of which... :zzz:)

Flay on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Texas is just a nice place to live cause the people are more friendly...In my expirence.

Does your experience include trying to support evolution?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Evolution was intelligently designed by Darwin.

e: I wish I had his beard.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Texas is just a nice place to live cause the people are more friendly...In my expirence.

No, not really. Just awesome Mexican people who like to break dance/skate/shop lift/ bring bee bee guns to school. My friend did that, so cool, he shot me.

We didn't care what they taught. Teach us evolution in class, doesn't matter, we're still not going to pay attention. Like we pay attention at church anyways.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

so far, I share this sentiment

NaC, you have to read Refuting Evolution by Johnathan Sarfati, Ph.D. It is quite possibly the funniest thing in the entire world.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hehehe. I like the big science hammer smashing the world. Subtle.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

so far, I share this sentiment

NaC, you have to read Refuting Evolution by Johnathan Sarfati, Ph.D. It is quite possibly the funniest thing in the entire world.

Funniest on purpose, funniest on accident or.....?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

My rant about my trip to through texas.
    Man Mexican food in texas is so fucking balling. We spent a weekend driving from Memphis to Only, TX and back and hit 17 restaurants all charged to the company's expense we were working for.

Taco Bueno has self-serve IBC rootbeer on draft, boy!

However, we chose to stay at a dirty motel next to a strip club (somewhere I'd normally feel right at home was the thought process). and I awoke with a scorpion next to my face!

Fuck that.

Scorpions are supposed to be in zoos, highly secured research facilities, and john steinbeck novels.

Also, the truck thermometer read 114 in the shade, and my freckled-ass is not made for that kind of heat.

Article from my newspaper from TX.
    For my local newspaper, I do the microfilm research to type the little "what on this day on these years" sections, and here's one I pulled yesterday from 1984.

25 years- Hitchhikers held as slaves
    KERRVILLE, Texas- Three members of a ranching family were arrested
    after six people said they were abducted while hitchhiking and held in
    chains as slave laborers, a police spokesperson said Saturday.
    Authorities learned of the slavery ring after a man who claimed to
    have escaped from there contacted police in nearby Commanche, Texas.
    Currently, investigators are checking a claim to burn the body of a
    man who died at the ranch.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ooooh there's a volume 2
    http://www.amazon.com/Refuting-Evolution-2-Jonathan-Sarfati/dp/0890513872

I have not read these.

The latest review of the first one is titled "Refuting Evolution: A Handbook for Scientific Illiterates"

NotASenator on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Could it be I've actually become more introverted than my dad?

This doesn't bode well...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Could it be I've actually become more introverted than my dad?

This doesn't bode well...

why don't you tell me how you feel about this.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Because your sofa's just some boxes with a towel thrown over it, and that diploma on your wall has a suspicious-looking "McDonalds Happy Meal" label on it.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

From my 14 years of living in various corners of Texas I can tell you its mostly just fake friendliness and if they find out you are an atheist or a liberal then they become VERY not nice.

Edit: The only redeeming quality of that state is the Tex-mex and the bbq.

Edit2: In conclusion, FUCK texas.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    From my 14 years of living in various corners of Texas I can tell you its mostly just fake friendliness and if they find out you are an atheist or a liberal then they become VERY not nice.

Austin is a pretty awesome place, but I have to agree with you on the "fake friendliness" for the most part (as with all places there are obviously people that aren't like that). Pious is right however, the mexican/hispanic community is pretty darned friendly. At least what I encountered with it.

So I just stumbled upon Tom Gauld's sketchbook goddamn.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »

SALMON BERRIES? I am curious.

We've got a hell of a lot of wild raspberries, some blackberries...and the rare mini-blueberry bush. There's a place around where I live that has a number of orchards and berry patches throughout the year where you can "pick your own"...it's really popular, and it's one of my "HAVE TO DO THIS" activities every summer.

That, and every fall, when you go there....they make their own [AMAZING] apple cider from their own apples, and then make apple cider donuts, which are pretty much the best things in the entire universe.

They've got apples (lots of varieties), peaches, pears, pumpkins, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and maybe one or two other things I've forgotten.

OOOH SUMMER I LOVE YOU, COME QUICKLY

Ugh, that makes me miss the cider mill near Michigan State. We'd go out there on the weekends and get drunk on hard cider and go on hay rides and make general mischief. The fall smell is nowhere more present than in an apple orchard.

Yeah, salmon berries (or salmonberries a la the other berry conventions) are basically just like raspberries. I think they're tastier, but that's probably because I have to climb higher to get them and they're free. The only thing you risk is running into a bear who is also looking for berries.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Austin is a pretty awesome place, but I have to agree with you on the "fake friendliness" for the most part (as with all places there are obviously people that aren't like that). Pious is right however, the mexican/hispanic community is pretty darned friendly. At least what I encountered with it.

Yea Austin is pretty cool; a little bit more accepting of liberals but they still hates them some atheists and its still hot as fuck. Thus I live in Colorado. Anytime its really cold or snowing hard in Colorado I just put on more clothes and think to myself "this is so much better than Texas".

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yea Austin is pretty cool; a little bit more accepting of liberals but they still hates them some atheists and its still hot as fuck. Thus I live in Colorado. Anytime its really cold or snowing hard in Colorado I just put on more clothes and think to myself "this is so much better than Texas".

Haha, man this is so true. I had a similar thought when I lived in TX and it was hot, "Damn I wish I was back in Colorado".

Edit: I did like winter overcast days in Texas though. Something about it not being very cold, that and I used to go outside when it would rain in the summer without a coat and just get soaked... but, besides those few things, CO for the win.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I hate when I'm back for xmas visiting the family and I end up walking around at the end of December with temps in the 80s. I should not be sweating walking to the video store in shorts and a t-shirt on December 27th.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys. Do any of you know anything about getting into the medical/scientific illustration field? There's only five schools in North America that offer the degree program (and some of them are med schools aaaaugh) so I'm trying to collect as much info on it as I can.

Ollie on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ollie wrote: »
    Hey guys. Do any of you know anything about getting into the medical/scientific illustration field? There's only five schools in North America that offer the degree program (and some of them are med schools aaaaugh) so I'm trying to collect as much info on it as I can.

I'm told Johns Hopkins has a great program

don't know much about it other than that

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.