Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

Limp [DOODLE]

• MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    morning update

Untitled-12riff-1.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited May 2009
    ::yawn:: mornin'.

selfport1.jpg

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doing a promo poster:

sword_dog_promo.jpg

PROX on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    man i don't think anyone loves michael jackson as much as you do, winter.

I think hes such an fascinating guy. His personality, music themes and physical appearance(s) is so odd, there are so many different ways to view him. Two are generally as either innocent or guilty, but i think what makes him so interesting is that everyone has their own interpretation of who he really is. Thats why i like drawing him. Just the many different themes you can work with. Plus, his music is just freaking awesome!

Anyway, update...
    gonna draw in the typography myself

4ujrqa.jpg

Is this going to be the final comp on the piece? Feels like you could pull the shot out out to make it feel more...cold? Lonely?

port2.jpg

punk3.jpg

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Urantia, I see that... socket/3-way-clamp thing in a lot of your drawings - care to explain? Looks like an interface for something awesome.

Delzhand on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Urantia wrote: »

Very nice!

The past couple of posts are :^:

melting_doll on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    morning update

Untitled-12riff-1.jpg

Someone's been watching some Massive Black Videos :P

DeeLock on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DeeLock i'll have that study buddy ready by tonight. been shit loads busy. :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks Melting.

Delz- I wish it had some super practical modular application like an interface, but actually it's just because I like clunky robot part. It just seems to me that whenever anyone does mechanics, especially when they're being combined with organics, it's always a sinuous mess of tubes and sliding plates and intricate designs. So whenever I get a chance to- give a dude a robot arm for example- I tend to go with old school, blocky, fully mechanical stuff. And there's nothing more clunky and mechanical than a 3 pronged mitt!

Stiiilll on this quick portrait kick.

port3.jpg

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Those are looking awesome, Ur. How long are you spending on these? Are they people you know?

RubberAC on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks AC. Er, usually 'round 2 hours? I start them by thinking about people I know, but I let the face change into whatever it wants to, so they don't look like them. I just use their features and personalities as starting points?

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's awesome.

RubberAC on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah that new ZhangLu Massive Black video really inspired me to get back into doing portraiture. I've been doing nothing but design work for the past several months, and trying to knock out some faces everyday is really helping me settle back into the more illustrative side of things.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
    edited May 2009
    from sketchbook today

x0zo7p.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    2vuao04.jpg

swd9n4.jpg

Tam on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha Tam, that last guy is awesome. Looks like a crazy CEO of a pirate company or something.

F87 on
    edited May 2009
    2v9944k.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • zero_onezero_one Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    Doing a promo poster:

sword_dog_promo.jpg

YESSSSS!! i've been eagerly awaiting another Sword Dog! although i think i missed Sword Dog 3 :( could someone link me to it plz? :)

p.s. the promo is rockin! \m/

zero_one on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Taking a break from my gesture studies to do some much needed gun concepts. I am new to this though, so any general tips would be great. Also, I have been watching Coro's MB dvd about gun concepts, so these are heavily inspired by that.

gun_thumbs1.jpg

F87 on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a gun design tutorial I wrote a while ago (spelling errors aside) that should hopefully give you some tips.

http://mcgibs.com/junk/gun-tut.jpg

It looks like you're running right into weird sci-fi weapon design (like the stuff that coro does, which I personally think is very flawed) without knowing much about how guns work. Its EXACTLY the same advice that anyone here would give to someone drawing wacked out anime anatomy. Learn how the real anatomy works first, and THEN start mutating it into crazy shit.

You don't need to know how to draw exact replicas of real world weapons from memory, but you should learn what all the parts are, how they work, why theyre there, and what you can do to change them.

The biggest problem I see with these silhouettes is their ergonomics (how someone holds the weapon). They all seem VERY awkward to handle. Then there are just random parts slapped on that have no reason to be there, like the finger-grips all over everything.

The best way to learn how to make cool looking guns is to try and absorb ideas from as many real-world guns as you can. There are plenty of really neat ideas that translate very well into sci-fi designs.

Here's a pretty good list of guns throughout the world.
    http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gibs, if you're going to keep handing out that tutorial, fix the paragraph on barrels. Seriously, you're a fucking sci-fi author and you keep doing shit like this. Keep in mind who your audience is: Smart People.

Now, when you pull the trigger, the hammer strikes the primer, causing the potential energy of the gun powder to be converted into heat and pressure. Heat and pressure are turned into kinetic energy that pushes the lead out of the barrel. Pressure doesn't build up, it goes down as the bullet travels down the barrel and then quickly drops back to zero when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Metalbourne on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    typo. pretend i said velocity instead of pressure.

I'll fix it when I do version 2.0. (and this is only the second time ive handed this out)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fair enough. It makes more sense if you replace "pressure" with "velocity" Now I can finally get past the first paragraph and pick apart the rest of your tutorial :)

You've got a lot of talent and I'd just hate to see your projects not take off because nobody can take you seriously when you talk sciency stuff.

Metalbourne on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Mykonos wrote: »
    morning update

Untitled-12riff-1.jpg

Someone's been watching some Massive Black Videos :P

lol that last one they posted was by far the best one in a long time, and for what i'm doing now it was an absolute necessity!

FFP_RElax_illustration_by_AdventDawn.png

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Excellent update.

DeeLock on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    doodle
    robot1.jpg

Prospicience on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    linoleum block print, my camera is terrible its actually on white paper.

Saef.png

worstcase on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ha! That's awesome Prosp.

Mustang on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2009
    dinos1sm.jpg

Some colorful dinosaurs. There's a larger version here if anyone's interested.

DMAC on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Those are awesome.
    worstcase wrote: »
    linoleum block print, my camera is terrible its actually on white paper.

Saef.png
    DMAC wrote: »
    dinos1sm.jpg

Some colorful dinosaurs. There's a larger version here if anyone's interested.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if that's what you were aiming for DMAC, but that T-Rex is as cute as hell.

Mustang on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2009
    Maybe not "cute" but kid-friendly.

DMAC on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want to pet it.

Weird doodles from work:

FDaPolice.png

worstcase on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    tattoo.jpg

got stuck on a story i was writing, so i decided to illustrate it. decided to challenge myself by not showing the main character's face, but try to get across some of his attitude anyway - i'm pretty excited, because i think it worked.

similarly, i figured out the name of the tattoo shop. hooray!

listening to massive black's character development dvd the whole time - damn, that shit's inspiring. and educational!

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    That seems like an awfully awkward way to draw a tattoo- sitting that far away. Aren't tattoo artists usually up way close and using the other hand to stabilize the skin and wipe?

edit: the GIS results are showing most of them with feet planted on the ground (for stability I imagine), up close, and using two hands. I guess it's a big elaboration on one element, but that really stood out to me.

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    yeah, but his left wrist had the tendons severed a while ago and, while rehab is going well, you're not supposed to stress them overmuch or else the sutures tear

good crit otherwise, though

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    oh ok

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    good point about foot positioning for stability, though, i hadn't thought of that

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    brainstorming for the challenge

2q2qwwj.jpg

Tam on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The guy in the chair sure is a pussy huh?

tattoo.jpg

got stuck on a story i was writing, so i decided to illustrate it. decided to challenge myself by not showing the main character's face, but try to get across some of his attitude anyway - i'm pretty excited, because i think it worked.

similarly, i figured out the name of the tattoo shop. hooray!

listening to massive black's character development dvd the whole time - damn, that shit's inspiring. and educational!

NakedZergling on
This discussion has been closed.