Options

Hawking: Humans must colonize other planets..

ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is sort of a continuation of his previous claim.
CNN wrote:
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Humans must colonize planets in other solar systems traveling there using "Star Trek"-style propulsion or face extinction, renowned British cosmologist Stephen Hawking said on Thursday.

Referring to complex theories and the speed of light, Hawking, the wheel-chair bound Cambridge University physicist, told BBC radio that theoretical advances could revolutionize the velocity of space travel and make such colonies possible.

"Sooner or later disasters such as an asteroid collision or a nuclear war could wipe us all out," said Professor Hawking, who was crippled by a muscle disease at the age of 21 and who speaks through a computerized voice synthesizer.

"But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe," said Hawking, who was due to receive the world's oldest award for scientific achievement, the Copley medal, from Britain's Royal Society on Thursday.

Previous winners include Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin.

In order to survive, humanity would have to venture off to other hospitable planets orbiting another star, but conventional chemical fuel rockets that took man to the moon on the Apollo mission would take 50,000 years to travel there, he said.

Hawking, a 64-year-old father of three who rarely gives interviews and who wrote the best-selling "A Brief History of Time", suggested propulsion like that used by the fictional starship Enterprise "to boldly go where no man has gone before" could help solve the problem.

"Science fiction has developed the idea of warp drive, which takes you instantly to your destination," said.

"Unfortunately, this would violate the scientific law which says that nothing can travel faster than light."

However, by using "matter/antimatter annihilation", velocities just below the speed of light could be reached, making it possible to reach the next star in about six years.

"It wouldn't seem so long for those on board," he said.

The scientist revealed he also wanted to try out space travel himself, albeit by more conventional means.

"I am not afraid of death but I'm in no hurry to die. My next goal is to go into space," said Hawking.

And referring to the British entrepreneur and Virgin tycoon who has set up a travel agency to take private individuals on space flights from 2008, Hawking said: "Maybe Richard Branson will help me."

Coming from one of the most renowned scientist of our times, this sort of claim carries a lot of weight (although perhaps still not as much as it should).

It's true that it sounds like a doomsday theory, but, considering how close we have come to nuclear war already (twice, iirc), I think what he says has a lot of credibility. Besides, there is always the chance of a pandemic wiping out the human race (considering we're complex organisms and cannot adapt as well as bacteria and cannot survive like cockroaches).

So, some things to think about:

- What are the practical benefits, aside from scientific ones, of a moon base and a Mars colony?
- If not the claims of one of world's smartest scientists, what will finally convince humankind that it needs to "get off this rock"?
- Should we currently focus our efforts or at least increase our funding in R&D for space travel?

Ideas? Have at it!

ege02 on

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So his idea is to, basically, do like Star Trek? You'd think he'd know better than that. At least he stopped himself before suggesting that people go at the speed of light, but... Steve, do you see any antimatter laying around we could use? Me neither.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    He's the face of pop science and it can only be a good thing that he has decided to try and get this into the public eye again. Or maybe I'm just a big Sci Fi nerd.

The answer isn't likely to be colonies within this solar system, we just need an efficent way to scout for earth-like planets. The problem being we've no real idea how common they are.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    So his idea is to, basically, do like Star Trek? You'd think he'd know better than that. At least he stopped himself before suggesting that people go at the speed of light, but... Steve, do you see any antimatter laying around we could use? Me neither.

Well, dark matter has been observed.

I don't know enough about advanced physics to know whether that's the same as anti-matter though.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    And the underlying idea is that today's science-fiction is tomorrow's science. Just thinking about how much we have learned in the past two decades, and considering our rate of learning increases exponentially, I can see some sort of serious breakthroughs into the unknown being made by the end of this century.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

I don't know enough about advanced physics to know whether that's the same as anti-matter though.
    Not even slightly. Antimatter has been known about and observed for a long, long time. It isn't especially mysterious (except the question of why there is so little of it).

I wasn't aware that Dark Matter had been observed, do you have a source?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Not even slightly. Antimatter has been known about and observed for a long, long time. It isn't especially mysterious (except the question of why there is so little of it).

Dark Matter. That's what I was thinking of. I knew it was something ending in 'matter'.

Okay then. We've got antimatter. All well and good. Now the question is, can you make enough of it to power a spaceship for six years running? (And also, wouldn't any footage shot only be able to travel back at normal speed, making it a long wait to find out whether anything came of the entire endeavor?)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

http://home.slac.stanford.edu/pressreleases/2006/20060821.htm

ege02 on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:

Gravitational effects have been observed that may be explained by dark matter theory. I had thanksgiving with a couple of astrophysics students last week, and they didn't seem too enthusiastic that dark matter will actually hold up compared to reformulating other theories.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Needs more Event Horizon-style black hole drives.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I seem to recall that that didn't work out so well for the people on the Event Horizon

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So at what point does it become more practical to terraform a completely alien and unknown planet lightyears away from haul by hauling equipment piece by piece, rather than simply using that same equipment on the planet we have now?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    ege02 wrote:

Gravitational effects have been observed that may be explained by dark matter theory. I had thanksgiving with a couple of astrophysics students last week, and they didn't seem too enthusiastic that dark matter will actually hold up compared to reformulating other theories.

It's considered as a direct evidence for the existence of dark matter.

I'm going to take the word of real scientists over students, thanks. :)

ege02 on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006

I hear that once we get to mars, we are going to start attemting to get into teleportation.

Um... I think hawking has a point. Humanity is doomed. That doom will come a lot later, if we are also on other planets. Our only chance at humanity existing for ever is time travel, and we didn't do that becuase the universe isn't crowded.

It is a totally valid point, but it shouldn't really make people worry too much. Things die.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So at what point does it become more practical to terraform a completely alien and unknown planet lightyears away from haul by hauling equipment piece by piece, rather than simply using that same equipment on the planet we have now?
    Did you run your post through babelfish or something? I have no idea what you're trying to say.
    It's considered as a direct evidence for the existence of dark matter.

I'm going to take the word of real scientists over students, thanks. Smile
    I've managed to avoid most astro units in my degree but I'm willing to say that if SLAC are hailing it as evidence of Dark Matter then I'll accept it.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    - What are the practical benefits, aside from scientific ones, of a moon base and a Mars colony?
    - If not the claims of one of world's smartest scientists, what will finally convince humankind that it needs to "get off this rock"?
    - Should we currently focus our efforts or at least increase our funding in R&D for space travel? ]

-The whole problem we ran into after putting the first man on the moon is that there's no immediate practical benefit with today's technology to having colonies other than avoiding being wiped out by an asteroid. Even then I would rather have the money here to help the survivors rather than spent setting up shop somewhere else. There's also no good reason to have a colony on mars rather than an asteroid - still plenty of radiation, useless atmosphere, probably not healthy gravity. But still enough gravity to make it much harder to go back and forth.

-I don't think people will want to get off this rock until technology advances, the economics change, and we are aware of actual potentially habitable planets around other stars - which could happen as soon as 5 or 10 years from now. (Darwin project, I think?) The tech priority has to be to develop cheap ways to escape earth's gravity well. Right now it's something like $10000/lb to orbit, $100000 if done by NASA. That's too expensive for anything other than millionaire tourism to be profitable and would make interstellar ships ludicrously expensive to construct in orbit. Perhaps a space elevator will be the ticket? I know there are a couple of other ideas as well.

-I'm not in favor of increasing our space funding. NASA has been a giant money sink for the last few decades. I'm encouraged by what's going on in private industry.
    I'm going to take the word of real scientists over students

Their bosses also disagree. And don't even get astrophysicists started on dark energy...

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I seem to recall that that didn't work out so well for the people on the Event Horizon

Yeah, but that was just a movie...how likely is it that black holes link to a dimension of pure evil?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Right around the point where it is really foolish to keep the entirety of a species in one location, especially given said species proclivities towards weapon stockpiling and anti-social tendencies.

Or, put another way, the odds of humanity doing something staggeringly stupid that leads to every living human on Earth dying are high enough it's a good idea to get some self supporting, independent populations somewhere else. It's a good idea for any intelligent species in the long term, but an especially good one given what we know about our own nature.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    Right now it's something like $10000/lb to orbit, $100000 if done by NASA. That's too expensive for anything other than millionaire tourism to be profitable and would make interstellar ships ludicrously expensive to construct in orbit.
    Which is why you get some automated mining shit up on Luna, extract the iron and refine it and crap there, and then launch that (much, much cheaper) metal down to Earth. I can't be the only guy here who's read Heinlein.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    then launch that (much, much cheaper) metal down to Earth.

Yeah! Fuck the earth!

redx on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3R4eG5N1k&mode=related&search=

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Right around the point where it is really foolish to keep the entirety of a species in one location, especially given said species proclivities towards weapon stockpiling and anti-social tendencies.

Meh. If we ever reach the point where we can fit planet terraforming equipment on space shuttles capable of near-light speeds, then it's pretty much a given that most of the arms race problems would have cleared themselves up already, or else the people on earth would have destroyed themselves long before that.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:

Meh. If we ever reach the point where we can fit planet terraforming equipment on space shuttles capable of near-light speeds, then it's pretty much a given that most of the arms race problems would have cleared themselves up already, or else the people on earth would have destroyed themselves long before that.

I think between the informed opinion of one of the greatest thinkers of our generation, and some guy who says "meh, it'll work itself out" I'll go ahead and side with the genius :)

Besides which, the point he's trying to make is that the technology to start self-supporting colonies isn't far beyond our current level at all, and the chances of a planet wide disaster, man-made or otherwise, isn't something to be discounted.

werehippy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:

I disagree, considering that humans have been shitting on the planet and one another for thousands of years with no end in sight, yet we've managed to progress from horse and buggy to private spaceflight in about a century.

That said, I think we'll likely develop a form of suspended animation long before we develop relativistic space travel, but maybe that's just my medgeek chauvinism talking.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    stigweard wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3R4eG5N1k&mode=related&search=

Again, if we have the technology to produce anti-matter drives capable of near-light speeds, then meteors aren't going to be a big deal. Particularily since the equipment necessary to detect viable planets would have to progress by leaps and bounds by then, which means that the technology capable of detecting asteroids centuries prior to an actuaal collision would be greatly improved as well.
    I think between the informed opinion of one of the greatest thinkers of our generation, and some guy who says "meh, it'll work itself out" I'll go ahead and side with the genius =)

It's not a science question, it's a human nature problem. It's always easier to destroy than to create. If nuclear war is such a problem, and if this plan requires that our technology accelerate by leaps and bound, then why wouldn't we have simply destroyed ourselves long before we ever even made it off the planet?
    Besides which, the point he's trying to make is that the technology to start self-supporting colonies isn't far beyond our current level at all, and the chances of a planet wide disaster, man-made or otherwise, isn't something to be discounted.

If it's not that far off, then why not use it here?

Here's one example: Viable atmosphere. There is no known geological process that will create a breathable atmosphere on it's own. In order to do that, you need some sort of life. Even then, it took billions of years here on Earth. If the alternative planets have had life for the pastt several bilion years, then how will we adapt to a completely alien environment? If they don't have breathable atmosphere, then how would we be able to create it? Suppose you said, "Oh, we're create superpowerful photosynthetic bacteria that's designed to limit mutation, so it doesn't turn against us." Fine. But why not us that same technology here on Earth?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Mad_MorlockMad_Morlock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you got to the moon, then mined the hell out of until you're living in a hollowed out sphere... or have built the Death Star... the most logical choice for further materials for mining is right next door.

The Earth is a whole warehouse full of goodies. But you'd have to crack 'er open to harvest it.

But then everyone really would be riding along on Spaceship Earth.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    But why not us that same technology here on Earth?

Because even barring nuclear war, meteors, etc. etc., we're eventually going to run out of real estate down here.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    redx wrote:

I hear that once we get to mars, we are going to start attemting to get into teleportation.
    You remember Event Horizon? Good. Now go play Doom 3, and you'll see why that's a baaad idea.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    redx wrote:

You remember Event Horizon? Good. Now go play Doom 3, and you'll see why that's a baaad idea.
    didn't strike you as odd that I specified mars at all?

I always kinda thought event horizon ripped off doom

redx on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    redx wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    redx wrote:

So clearly we need to start thinking about colonising hell. I hear there's plenty of real estate there, and it's a good energy source.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    redx wrote:

So clearly we need to start thinking about colonising hell. I hear there's plenty of real estate there, and it's a good energy source.
    An infinite dimension of pain, suffering, agony, and demons? What's not to love?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I think between the informed opinion of one of the greatest thinkers of our generation, and some guy who says "meh, it'll work itself out" I'll go ahead and side with the genius =)

It's not a science question, it's a human nature problem. It's always easier to destroy than to create. If nuclear war is such a problem, and if this plan requires that our technology accelerate by leaps and bound, then why wouldn't we have simply destroyed ourselves long before we ever even made it off the planet?

The point being that it is a human nature problem. Since as time goes on, it is increasingly likely that humanity will do something irreversible here, it makes a lot of sense to focus efforts on making sure that if things go wrong here it isn't the end of humanity. The "we'll either learn to get along better or kill ourselves before it matters" argument is just a way of saying you'd rather not deal with the problem, not a solution or a reason to refuse to look for a solution.

If it's not that far off, then why not use it here?

Here's one example: Viable atmosphere. There is no known geological process that will create a breathable atmosphere on it's own. In order to do that, you need some sort of life. Even then, it took billions of years here on Earth. If the alternative planets have had life for the pastt several bilion years, then how will we adapt to a completely alien environment? If they don't have breathable atmosphere, then how would we be able to create it? Suppose you said, "Oh, we're create superpowerful photosynthetic bacteria that's designed to limit mutation, so it doesn't turn against us." Fine. But why not us that same technology here on Earth?

Because it's not an either/or type of situation. We don't have to either focus all of our efforts and resources on improving conditions here or one colonizing elsewhere, they can both be done simultaneously.

It's entirely possible to have a self-sustaining colony without completely terraforming another world. There is no practical or theoretical reason an enclosed environment (Biosphere on a grander scale) couldn't support a large population of people indefinitely, during which time both the original and colony population can work to solve any problems, with the threat of immediate extinction removed.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    redx wrote:

An infinite dimension of pain, suffering, agony, and demons? What's not to love?

Plenty of space to spread out, and I hear demon makes good eatin'.

werehippy on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Well, Hawkins is naturally biased, being an astrophysicist. I doubt he would be in the field that he is without having some interest other than scientific in space and the universe. So while his claim has far more weight than the average space-fanciest, and in fact has more weight than the average anybodyelseintheworld, I am not sure that he is automatically the best authority for this sort of thing. He isn't tunnel blind, and is smart enough to think about these questions without introducing obvious bias, but I think he might have a natural tendency to think "space", whereas another scientist in another field might come up with another answer.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think that sometimes those who know the greatest depth of a field often fail to see the reality of the real world. Just look at some of Watson's views of human life.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Well, Hawkins is naturally biased, being an astrophysicist. I doubt he would be in the field that he is without having some interest other than scientific in space and the universe. So while his claim has far more weight than the average space-fanciest, and in fact has more weight than the average anybodyelseintheworld, I am not sure that he is automatically the best authority for this sort of thing. He isn't tunnel blind, and is smart enough to think about these questions without introducing obvious bias, but I think he might have a natural tendency to think "space", whereas another scientist in another field might come up with another answer.
    I am unclear on the nature of his bias. Is the claim that because Hawking is an astrophysicist he prefers space to the earth, or that because he's an astrophysicist he prefers space as an escape method from this earth rather than ....?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Mad_MorlockMad_Morlock Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think he's advocating more of a safety net than anything else.

Provided man establishes himself off of Earth, we'll never have to worry about wiping the species out of existence.

And in the face of a world shattering cataclysm, (meteor strike, techtonic shifting, etc) mankind and it's history would survive.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's actually possible with todays technology to make an antimatter engine. We can already make antimatter in a particle accelerator, it would just take a very long time at the current level to make enough to be useful in an engine

Y'all should check out this book if you have not already done so.

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/sf/books/f/forward.htm#7778

edit: one apostrophy

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    It's actually possible with todays technology to make an antimatter engine. We can already make antimatter in a particle accelerator, it would just take a very long time at the current level to make enough to be useful in an engine

Yall should check out this book if you have not already done so.

Actually NASA's view on the matter was you use antimatter to sustain a fusion reaction, thus minimizing the amount of antimatter you need.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ALocksly wrote:

Actually NASA's view on the matter was you use antimatter to sustain a fusion reaction, thus minimizing the amount of antimatter you need.

I think the problem right now is that it can only be made at great expense and one atom at a time, Forward proposed a giant accelerator on the moon (lots of room) to step up production

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    ALocksly wrote:

I think the problem right now is that it can only be made at great expense and one atom at a time, Forward proposed a giant accelerator on the moon (lots of room) to step up production
    No we can make quite a good deal of it, it's just a lot less then even 1 gram. But they routinely do chemistry on it at CERN.

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.