As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Shackled City (Game Thread)

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Kreel? Kreel? Are you down there?" Alead peers into the hole. "Does... does anyone feel like going down there after him?"

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I'm willing to go down," Quinn says.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lost in the darkness, Kreel wipes the blood from his face and fumbles for his axe.

"Well, it coudn't get much worse I suppose."

Feeling his way to the wooden wall, he sets himself up and takes a swing.
    Attack Vs. Wooden Wall [4,3] = (7) Vs 21 = MISS

Sadly, the darkness does nothing for Kreel, and he misses

"Well... That didn't work."
    Kreel, as I gather the attack was his move (I am out of office the rest of the day and at least wanted to do something), will just try to listen next round.)

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With the trap no longer working, you think you're free to act without any potential hostile interference.
    Initiative cycle has been ceased! Feel free to act however, and whenever, you wish.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fumbling in the dark, Kreel tries to think for a change and feels his way around the wooden wall.
    Perception check? [18,8] = (26)

Man, I perceived the HELL out of that wall.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kreel:
    All five of your senses are intensely attuned to the environment you find yourself in - perhaps it's because of the adrenaline pumping through your veins after the ordeal you've gone through. Perhaps this dark, dangerous room reminds you of the cell you were raised and trained in. Whatever the reason, you're able to perceive the shit out of this room.

Unfortunately, there isn't that much to perceive. The walls you previously saw are still there, although they are turned 90 degrees to the side. You also feel that the space which used to be opening up into the pit now has been capped with solid stone. There's a small gap, where the stone and wooden chamber meet, but not big enough to fit more than a finger through.

You can also hear that there's no noise emanating from outside your spiked prison - the only way out, it seems, will involve some serious hacking at the wall. Now that you're no longer rushed, however, you can attack the wall with impunity.

That means, if you want, you can just hack the shit out of that wall - if you make an AC21 strike against the wall, with a +2 bonus due to your calmer situation, you'll get your rhythm going and make short work of the remaining wood. If you don't crack it this time, however, there's no hope of you making it - you'll have to wait for someone to come rescue you.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lost in the oneness that only total darkness can bring, and emboldened by the depth of understanding that his moment of quiet has given him, the Goliath again makes his measure against the wooden wall. Both hands grip the leather covering the axe handle, feet set just so apart. Face set in fierce determination, the Avenger hauls back as carefully as he can and swings the greataxe towards its target.
    Melee Attack against the Wall: [16,3,2] = (21)

Hell yeah serenity!

The strike hits true, and Kreel feels the wood begin to weaken.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    With a thunderous crack, the wood splinters under Kreel's mighty blows. Light, though only a small amount of it, begins to creep through the holes that his axe has made. Eventually, with a final blow, the wood falls from its position and lands on the ground with a dusty thud, leaving Kreel able to simply walk out of his wooden prison.

Now that he's out, he can more fully see the chamber in front of him - the gears and mechanisms that worked the trap are motionless, partially melted, with pieces of it glinting in the darkness. Overall, he'd say the area was ten feet wide, and perhaps thirty feet long, including the area taken up by the now-defunt chamber.

There's nothing else of interest down here, it seems - of more interest to most would be the exit that floats some thirty feet above. Kreel can see the heads of his comrades floating, disembodied by the shadows that this dark place can make.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Well, that was... Interesting."
    Now, not that I don't trust Simon but... What would I roll to make sure they really are my comrades?

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Perception, I'd say.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel almost shouts out, but peers closer to make sure that these are actually his comrades.
    Perception Check: [14,8] = (22)

I figured, but wasn't sure if it would be Arcana or something.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Was that you getting busted apart, Kreel?" Blublo shouts into the darkness, "or are you still in one piece? I suggest you hack your way out of the mechanisms and find your way back to our rope."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel looks up, and recognises the knobbly face of Blublo shouting down at him.

He can also see the lowered rope, danging down from the open mouth of this pit.
    Climb check! Make me two DC15 Athletics checks, if you want to climb up the rope and all the way back to your waiting friends. Failure by 4 or less on either check with result in you crashing back to the ground, but with no damage taken - fail it by 5 or more, however, and you'll climb as high as you can on that check... before crashing to to ground and taking full fall damage.

If you fail the check, however, you get one free "catch hold" check - it'd be DC20 Athletics check to make, and if you hit it, you'll catch yourself before falling, thereby negating the fall.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel waves to Blublo and grabs at the rope. With wanton abandon he scurries up half way, using only one hand as he lumbers up.

#1 = [20,3] = (23)

However, the showing off proves too much for the Goliath and he loses his one handed grip and starts to plummet to the ground.
    # 2 = 1d20+3 → [1,3] = (4)

Flailing, the Avenger makes a desperate bid to grab onto the wall.
    1d20+3 → [13,3] = (16) vs 20 = Fail

But he fails, utterly.
    (So, 30 damage? I think I am unconcious now...Or dead)

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha, Jesus, a natural 20 followed by a natural 1. Classic.

Being a clumsy fuck attacks Kreel for 3d10 damage... 21 damage!

Yeah, you're pretty unconscious right about now.

Kreel lands on the ground with a sickening squelch. This final piece of brutality is just too much for Kreel's system to take - he lapses into unconsciousness, his still body facing up at the comrades who were waiting at the top of the pit.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Kreel, we are *not* supposed to fail like that!" The Gnight shouts at the half-giant man's unpleasant fall back into the darkness. "I demand you get back up here this instant!"
    I use an Inspiring Word to heal him, which I believe should work at this distance. I'll roll for the bonus and for an assisted Athletics check if he tries to scramble back up again.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alas - Blublo's words fall onto deaf ears. Kreel is so very unconscious, he cannot hear the distant, encouraging words of the brave Gnomish Gnight. It will either take a louder voice, or moving close to the Goliath, for anything to make it into his darkened mind.
    Inspiring Word is a close burst 5, unfortunately! You're five feet off being able to Inspire him.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I thought it was a 20ft drop, not 30. :\

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It was twenty feet, yes! But with that wooden chamber out of the way, you can see that it pit actually extends down another 10 feet. I think I mentioned this somewhere, but I may have been making it blatently obvious.

Do I have to draw another diagram?

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No, I just figured he'd climed up on top of it, and it was directly below the trap door for him to fall back onto.

Blublo glowers at the silence. "Don't make me come down there!"

After another moment of silence, he does in fact come down there. Blublo takes hold of the rope and carefully shimmies halfway down to shout a second time at his collapsed comrade.

"Don't tell me the wind has already been knocked from you, Kreel! On your feet!"
    I'll assume Quinn is holding the hatch open still or something.

Here's my climb: 1d20+8 → [9,8] = (17)
    And here's my Inspiring Word surge bonus: 1d6 → [1] = (1) Gee thanks, IC.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead gapes in horror at Kreel's sudden disappearance from view. He mumbles nervously to himselves as Blublo ventures down the pit.

"We're all going to end up unconscious at the bottom of this hole, aren't we?"
    EDIT: A whole page happened that I didn't notice. I'm editing to compensate.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Don't tell me the wind has already been knocked from you, Kreel...!"

Kreel's unconscious mind picks up some fleeting words. Is that... Blublo?

"On your feet!"

Filled with the strength to go on, Kreel awakens from his slumber.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel slowly opens his eyes and rolls over, groaning at the various aches and pains running through his body.

"Bl...Blublo?" He coughs. "I hate trap doors."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So you know, you're on 2HP right now, old boy!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Shouldn't he be at 8? Inspiring Word allows for a surge plus 1d6 to heal, and I recall lhealing ignores negative HP.

Also, does that endeavor count as 2 Inspiring Word uses or just the one?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Shouldn't he be at 8? Inspiring Word allows for a surge plus 1d6 to heal, and I recall lhealing ignores negative HP.

Also, does that endeavor count as 2 Inspiring Word uses or just the one?
    Ah, that's my bad - I remembered the rules saying that a surge used on the dying restores them to 1, and then you apply bonus points. Yeah, Kreel will be on 8 at this point in the game.

After this little catastrophe, my Dick DM counter has been reset. It only counts as one use, considering I didn't make it quite clear about the situation with distance.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel remains on his back for a few moments, staring at the rope and feeling his body start to feel less like death warmed over.

"I also hate ropes."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quinn smiles and shakes his head at Alead.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "So. Assuming that we can get the mountain out of the molehill, what's our next step?"

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm willing to assume that the group manages to make it out of the pit, if you're willing to RP a lil' somethin'-somethin' to make it sound good.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    80's "Coming together to get the job done" montage?

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Split-screen? Star wipe?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you guys keep this up I am just going to assume Kreel falls, again, and that he's dead forever.

Star-wipe to his corpse, bloated and being consumed by a pack of rats, while the remaining group manages to find themselves surrounded from all angles by a horde of Skulks, Dark Creepers and Uber-Bugbear-Kings, each wielding a flail of Bugbears.

The breath from the lead Uber-Bugbear-King blows Quinn's torch out.

Play 'em off, keyboard cat!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "All this bellyachin'! Y'sound like it's your first night sleeping rough! Grab the rope and let's find these kids!"

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel slowly sits up and rubs at his neck, checking to make sure he various gear is still in one piece. Waving to his comrades, he attempts to stand up.

"I think the rope is cursed... Or at least not too helpful. I suggest we tie some knots in it, or at least whip up something magical. I was a tad too close to meeting the Queen that time."

Did my gear survive the fall?

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Unless I say otherwise, assume all your shit survives falls.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I... I could probably blast you out of the pit, given enough time." Alead calls down into the pit, and then clicks his tongue noncommittally. "Perhaps it's best if you just use all of that vaunted Goliath mountaineering skill and get out of the pit? No? Fine."

The Deva spends a few minutes knotting the rope for easy climbing, and then lowers it back down in the pit. The rope seems much shorter than before -- the knots have eaten up some of the slack -- but the rope should still be in Kreel's reach. And Blublo's, if the Goliath is willing to give the Gnome a boost.

They should be able to climb out with minimal difficulty, now.
    That okay, Simon? Trying to move things along a bit.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Poifect! I'll update you guys with a map and stuff when I get back from shopping.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now that the situation with the pit is dealt with, and Kreel is back to safety, you gather back together outside the still-open 'J' door, and re-draw the map to reflect what knowledge you have just learned from this place.
    New map:
    J14-hallway-2.jpg

You guys have a variety of options to try out, at this juncture - Alead's detected quite a few magical spells and enchantments around the place, and there's always the hall of dancing lights...

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm still trying to locate those magic items. Which door would they be behind, do you think? Z?

GrimmyTOA on