As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Shackled City (Game Thread)

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blublo shrugs. "I haven't any need of a suit that big or bulky." He walks over to the badger chest and peers at its lid. "No locks, no magic, but the valuables remain. Must not be of use to these fiends down here..."

Putting both hands on the lid, Blublo slowly opens the chest.

"Except this one. the other looks to be the same way."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alead approaches the box he senses to be empty, and finds... nothing. It's completely empty, aside from some dust, and the same sinewy handprints as before. Apparently whatever was in this box was worth keeping.

Moving on, he opens up the rabbit box, expecting to find another item of magical power. Instead, he is confronted with the same empty sight as before - nothing but dust and handprints inside this one.

Strange.

Alead:
    Something doesn't add up. You can still passively sense that there is something magical within this box.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Plate?" Quinn says, rubbing his chin. "I tried to cobble some together once out of some plates that were being thrown away, but they wouldn't weld right. I'll try it on, if no one else minds."
    It's an improvement over my chainmail...Quinn will take it out of the box.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alead stares down into the 'empty' box.

"Something's not right, here. There's something in this box. Invisible, phase-shifted. Something. Kellus, any thoughts?"

The Drow blinks and wanders over. "Kellus look. Kellus smart." The Sorcerer scratches his behind and stares blankly at a spot some two feet to the left of the chest. "No magic there."

"Yes Kellus. Kellus smart. I'm sure that you'll feel better as soon as the bump on your head goes away."

Some of Kellus' distraction seeps into Alead, and he's unable to call his magic sight. Sighing, he reaches into the box and feels around with one hand.
    Kellus Arcana: 1d20+5=7
    Alead Arcana: 1d10+9=10 Son of a bitch.
    Alead Perception: 1d20+4=12 Argh!

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quinn has gained possession of a slightly dusty set of +1 Plate Armour of Exploits!

*Zelda music*

Alead and his dim-witted sidekick, Kellus, have zero luck detecting any magic in the box, beyond what they already know. The Deva's handprints serve as a counterpoint to the thin ones the Skulks left behind, as well.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Feel like carrying this chest around for a while, Kreel? Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow."

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel:
    There's something off about this box. Judging from where you're standing, Alead's hand barely went halfway down into the box before it hit the bottom.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "There's magic still inside, you say?" Blublo responds to Alead as he looks over the interior of the chest. "...Wonder what sort of magic that could be? Invilisbility, perhaps?"
    Arcana knowledge check: 1d20+4 → [15,4] = (19) Dammit, so close to 20.

Blublo frowns and utters a 'har-rumph', and then proceeds to feel the weight of his 'magical'
    chest, especially compared to the now-empty rabbit chest.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quinn straps the armor on. "Snug, but not too snug." He casts his eyes towards the ceiling. "Thank you, milady, for this gift o' protection." He slides his coin back around his neck, wincing a little at the CLANK it makes when it hits the inside of his armor. "Not going to be much more sneaking around for me," he mutters.

Suddenly, he feels an emptiness, and touches a hand to his wrist. "A socket..." He looks up at the others. "This is a storin' suit! My commander had one of these back in the war. I can put a fightin' trick in here, and the armor will...remember how to do it. We can have our fun with that later, though."

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Blublo:
    Though you fail to remember anything about these boxes being magical or not, you also notice the same thing as Kreel - what you're feeling as the bottom of the box is far too shallow, compared to the other boxes depth.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Oh, well now here's our problem," Blublo says as he thumps his hand on the inside of the chest. "The bottom's are fake. Must be a compartment inside." He sets the bager box down and fumbles around the inside.

For a Gnome he's not very good at gadgets; Blublo may just be a traditionalist at heat. "I can't seem to pop it open," he murmurs in frustration.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "We could, I suppose, just blast it open. I'd hate to damage whatever's inside, though."

Alead peers in, wondering about his next step.
    Any applicable rolls here, Simon?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Perception would be the most applicable roll, but none of your attempts have broken the DC here.

You could also try to smash it open? I'll call it as having an AC18, hit that or higher and the chest gets smashed open, anything lower and you just ain't strong enough to crack it.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead concentrates as he looks down into the box.

Is that a weakness in the grain of the wood? I think it is, pipes up a former self (once carpenter to the Royal House Akoba). Hit it like this, suggests another (a martial artist of great renown). You're going to break your pinkie! That one was a ribbon salesman.

Alead's hand flashes down, and there's a great cracking sound. The timbers of the chest's false bottom shiver, crack, and don't quite break. Alead straightens in sudden pain.

"Dammit! I think I broke my pinkie!"
    Alead vs Box: 1d20+1d6 (Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes) = 16
    Alead 0, Box 1.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Blublo walks over and gives Alead's chest a swift kick...

1d20+3 = 13.

...Which does nothing.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, you guys really need Quinn or Kreel to show you how this is done.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...Unless that kick counts as an assist... :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You should go on the road with that material, Utsan! Hysterical.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Alright, alright, move over." Quinn says, moving over with a bang of metal as he compensates for the new weight. "Let's see now..."

He takes his sword in his hands, upside-down, and drives it into the box like a greater paladin might slay a vampire. The force of the blow smashes out the false bottom.

"Right." Quinn says, "right," genuinely pleased that something is going well for once.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    With the false bottom shattered, the group spots a glinting in the now-revealed area. Removing what remains of the false bottom, the group spies several distinct items that were carefully hidden by the previous owners of the chest.

Quinn's stab appears to have split open a pouch, which has now spilt gold pieces out and onto the thick wooden base of the chest. There's also, wrapped in leather, three three-foot sections of metal rods, marked with arcane runes. Judging by the way the rods are notched and cut on the ends, you believe they might be designed to be slotted together to created a far longer staff.

There's another thing, as well - sitting in the corner, a small pouch that is marked with similar arcane runes.
    Dear me, I think you might have discovered 100 gold and, when fitted together, a +1 Defensive Staff.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead smiles.

"Well struck, Quinn. We probably should have let you do that right from the first."

Alead glances wistfully at the Staff. "I suppose we'll have to decide what to do with that," he says. He then turns his attention to the pouch in the corner of the chest. Lifting it, he releases the snaps and peers inside.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Inside the pouch, Alead can see a folded wrap of some kind, marked with arcane runes, along with depictions of eyes with clear dwarven design. While its entire purpose is unknown, upon opening the bag, Alead was hit with the sudden sense of magic. Whatever this item is, the pouch was masking its magical aura.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead tugs at the drawstrings and upends the pouch onto his open hand.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead's previous thoughts on the object are proven correct, as when he turns the pouch upside down, the only thing that drops out is the full headwrap. It hands lifelessly off the edges of the Deva's hands.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead takes a closer look at the wrap. Caresses it with his mind. Coaxes out the knowledge like a frightened puppy. It dances in his mind.
    Arcana: What's the wrap? 1d20+9=26

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead:
    Using your arcane knowledge to pry the identity of this object, you realise that despite an unusual coldness to this wrap's aura, it is most assuredly a +1 Headwrap of Perception.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "It's most assuredly a Headwrap of Perception. There's some unusual coldness to the aura, but it shouldn't be a problem."

Alead holds it up. "Who wants it?"

He pauses. "And, about that staff. Would anyone mind? It is my implement type."

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, was out of town all weekend.

Kreel, having stood watch while the others toyed with the boxes, nods at the headwrap.

"Interesting fashion statement. Maybe we can find some nice dresses as well, to continue playing dressup?"

The unusually surly Goliath rubs his aching head, looking carefully back the way they came.

"Stupid traps."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I think you should have the wrap, Kreel. You'll look darling."

Alead flips the headwrap to the Goliath. He then begins to assemble the staff, marveling at the simplicity and quality of the construction.
    You've got the highest perception score, Kreel. Makes sense.

Also, Simon, is the pouch a special magic masking pouch? If so, I'll hold on to it. Might come in handy sometime.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The pouch was definitely masking the magical aura of the headwrap, but it doesn't seem to be exuding any magical aura itself.

Lemme know when you guys have finished equipping everything and are ready to move on.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Remind me what's the status on the three chests in this little room; we found plate mail in one, the staff and the bag busted out of the secret section of the other, so does that still leave the third to be dealt with, or did I miss a narration?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel grabs the wrap out of the air and grins slightly, weighing it in his hands.

"Hmmm, not sure it is my color but... I'll make it work I suppose."

Kreel does what the item does best, and wraps it rakishly about his head.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Remind me what's the status on the three chests in this little room; we found plate mail in one, the staff and the bag busted out of the secret section of the other, so does that still leave the third to be dealt with, or did I miss a narration?
    The third one was the one you investigated, and you found it to be empty. You also noted, after comparison with the false-bottom chest, that it was actually empty, and didn't have a false bottom in there.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quinn snickers at the goliath's commentary. "Well, then, where next?"

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Back to the magic light-filled room, I'd say," Blublo replies. "Taking them down quickly now before they can retaliate would be best."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I concur."

Alead finishes assembling the staff and stows his old one across his back. Maybe it'll come in handy to wedge a door open or something.

He shoves the gems and his share of the gold into the purse which had held the headwrap, and puts the purse into one of his pouches.

"I'm ready to go."

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Throwing his new head wrap over his shoulder, the Goliath unsheathes his greataxe once more and leans against the doorway.

"Someone else can take the first step. I have had my fill of falling down holes."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I'll do it. I'm feeling a bit better about my ability to deal with life's sudden surprises right now."

The Deva begins to lead the way back down the tunnel to the strangely-lit, skulk-infested room.
    Do... do we need to jump over the blasted pit again? Please no?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Remember that lever I mentioned in the room? Hint: it may have something to do with the trap that is the bane of your existence.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead pauses on his way out of the room to pull the iron lever. He then strolls confidently out onto the collapsing floor...
    ... fully expecting the DM to be screwing with him, and to plunge headlong into the depths.

GrimmyTOA on