As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Shackled City (Game Thread)

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope you weren't waiting for a response from me!

Unfortunately, we aren't in a situation where I can shove you guys down a particular path, so this will require you all to come to a decision about where to go next.

Things to keep in mind - unless you want to set those pitfall traps off, you're either going to have to jump over them (which would either be a DC of 15, assuming a running start), or you can attempt to balance yourself across the narrow sides of the pits. That'd be a DC 20 Acrobatics.

I will remind everyone that you haven't made any Perception checks, recently.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quinn looks up and down the hallway and scratches his head. "Was there a door fer J? I'm losing track."
    Was there a J door? I'm thinking we should give the "spell Jzadirune" idea a shot.

perception roll (1d20+2=19)

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I think the door in front of us was 'J'," Blublo comments. "We could try the one back up the hall," he points to the 'Z' door.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quinn:
    Despite your inquisitive glances and checks, you can't see anything that hasn't been noticed and commented on before.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kreel uses three healing surges to come to 27 HP (6 from Inspiring Word, 3 X 7 HS)

"I think we should take a look around. Or, at the very least, try to find some way to avoid any more of those... Traps." The Goliath looks down at the floor uneasily. "Even the Cult was not so devious."
    Perception Check: [17,8] = (25)

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel:
    Looking up and down the hallway in front of you, you notice something unusual about the wall opposite the tunnel. The masonry is slightly out of place, in comparison to the rest of the walls. There's a tiny, tiny crack in the wall in a rough door shape. If you didn't know any better, you'd say that it was a secret door right there.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Squinting down the hallway, Kreel points at the small change wall.

"I think we may find our hidden treasures over that way."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm ready to follow Kreel's directions and Alead's magic sense.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As soon as you're all in agreement to go investigate that doorway, everyone should roll their Athletics or Acrobatics check. If you fail, it'll be 3d10 fall damage, but otherwise you can get out safely - the trap is effectively disarmed, and you've created a solid means of escape.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is there anything we can do to better our chances? He asks, as a total noob.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm open to ideas from the players in that regard!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There's something frustratingly amusing in the realization that, even with a high ability score and skill training, I would have to trust IC to *not* likely roll a 3 or less in order to traverse that pit. :\

Is that check assuming we're trying to go over the discovered trap through the doorway in front of us, or an assumption that there's an identical trapdoor behind Door Number Z?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The check is assuming you are crossing the trap in order to investigate what Kreel believes to be a secret door - where it leads, one cannot tell at this point.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Well, fiddlesticks. Unfortunately I did not bring any tools for corssing gaps, beyond my own two legs," Blublo takes a couple steps backward and makes a running leap over the trap's pit and onto the other side of the hall.
    Athletics: 1d20+8 → [5,8] = (13) What did I tell you...

The Gnome slips and falters upon the opposite ledge, falling into the pit.
    Incoming DC20 Athletics check to catch hold of the rope, unless there's some different rules on that now that I missed. OR do I get a bonus for a running start, speaking of which?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you were Acrobating across, there'd be no bonus. Because you made it about halfway into the next square, I reckon that'd be worth a +3 bonus to your check for grabbing onto something before the pit swings open fully.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Actually I was thinking of the bonus for running when making a distance jump with Athletics. Looking over the rules, it says my distance jumped is my roll divided by 5, meaning I leaped 2 squares, which should cover the pit if we're going by those rules.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ah, quite. My understanding of the rules is that you counted the jump from the last solid ground you were on before the leap itself, thus making a ten-foot leap require a roll of 15, due to actually needing to cover three squares (two empty, one to land in). I don't have my book on hand at the moment, however, so I can double check later.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I double-checked on the Compendium, which has the skills viewable through the demo. I can edit my post to note that I did in fact make it.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After reading the rules several times over, I've come to the conclusion that I have no gorram idea what they are saying. The rules as presented in the book seem to say that you cover as much distance with the leap as your check divided by three (with a running start), and "you land in the square determined by your result. If you end up over a pit or a chasm, you fall and lose the rest of your move action."

I can see where you're coming from in your viewpoint, Utsan, but the rules seems kinda clear on this idea... ah, fuck it.

Blublo's leap, though gallant and brave, is found wanting - he lands a scant few inches from the edge of the known pitfall section. His reflexes prove mightier than the pit's opening, however - a split second after landing, and hearing the ominous click coming from the pit's door trap, he dives forward and lands safely on the ground, between the tunnel and Kreel's secret door.
    Tilt-A-Pit attacks Blublo's Reflex - MISS!

You lucky son of a bitch, I was off by one.

Collecting his breath, the party watches as the pit's lid slams shut once more, awaiting a less elusive prey.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alead looks at the pit, and then down at his relatively spindly legs. He then quickly looks around the hall, searching for a place to which he could fasten his rope.

"Maybe if we tie this rope on either side of the pit, we could use it to aid our crossing."

Unfortunately, as the Deva speaks some sort of crypt-dwelling insect buzzes down the hallway and flies directly into one of his luminous yellow eyes. Alead spends the next several seconds cursing as he digs the pest out.
    Perception: 1d6+4=6

My idea is to fasten the rope to the wall somewhere on either side of the pit. We could then use it to stabilize ourselves as we walk along the ledge. Alternately, if we can fasten it to the ceiling somewhere, it might be Indiana Jones time.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel just shakes his head and looks at the trap with concern.

"I wonder if I could tear that door off it's hinges back there and lay it across. I don't trust this place."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead:
    Unfortunately, there's nothing in Blublo's section of the hallway that you could attach the rope to. On your side, there's all manner of things - torch sconces embedded in the walls, in particular, but there's also the very sturdy door. The teeth of the massive wooden gear are still partially visible, and you think it would be quite simple to tie a rope to them.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead scrubs one final chitinous limb from his eye and looks blearily across the pit.

"How strong are you feeling today, Blublo?"

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Strong?" Blublo put his fists on his hips and stared up in the air for a moment, puzzling. His shoulders droop. "Shucks, feel like I would have been pretty confident about it until you just asked. This is a tough question; can one gnome truly know how strong he is..." he trails off as he looks around and behind himself, especially at the unexplored door.

"Can we tie it from one end of the hall to the other? You folks might be able to shimmy over with a taught line."
    Incoming Perception and Dungeoneering checks to shine a better light on Blublo's suggestion.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel eyes the rope in an untrusting manner again.

"I think I would rather be facing bugbears than these damned traps."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Be careful what you wish for," Quinn says as he ties and unties a simple knot in the end of the rope. "My Lady can have a...strange sense of humor."

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Still waiting on Blublo's checks!

I'll assume you guys have set up a rope tie that's secure enough, for the moment. Crossing the pit by holding onto the rope and crawling along the side will be a DC15 Acrobatics, and you all get a bonus to your reflex save if you fail that check, to account for the rope..

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kreel slowly reaches out and grasps the rope, looking unsure of himself as he starts across.

"I swear by the Lady's unshaved pits that if I fall again...."
    Acrobatics Check [14,2] = (16)

With several near falls, the Goliath makes it over and grasps the stone wall with both hands as he breaths deeply.

"I hate traps."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Perception and then Dungeoneering (sorry about not being logged in still): 1d20-1 → [2,-1] = (1) 1d20-1 → [16,-1] = (15)

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead applauds quietly as the Goliath reaches the far side.

"Well," he mutters, "no time like the present." He edges out onto the ledge, face to the cold stone wall, and begins to shuffle laboriously across.

We should have just climbed down into the pit, walked across the floor, and then climbed back up.

The unbidden thought -- a voice from one of his previous selves -- distracts Alead and his foot slips off the ledge.

He flails wildly for the rope as he begins to fall.
    Acrobatics: 1d20=10

What do I need to roll for this reflex check? Or is it an attack vs my reflex?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Blublo:
    Though apparently you couldn't see your way out of a hempen sack at the moment, you can tell a few things about the design of this passageway. It's too short and cramped to be a major transport hub - the lack of torch sconces on the walls would definitely suggest that this was a utility passage, providing quick movement between the more important locations in the enclave.

Alead slips, but like Blublo, he hears the tell-tale click come from the pit's lid as he stumbles forward. Grabbing the rope, he desperately pulls himself towards Kreel and Blublo, falling flat on his face as the floor collapses from under him.
    Tilt-A-Pit attacks Alead's Reflex - MISS!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quinn watches the others carefully, and then breathes deeply to calm himself and takes a leap.

He vaults the lion's share of the pit easily, his hands scrambling momentarily for a solid grip on the other side, and then quickly pulling himself up.

"Right, then," he says with a gruff tone, looking over his shoulder and nodding in satisfaction.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Making the assumption you guys are opening the door - sorry for not updating sooner, but I was waiting for someone to act on that/watching Battlestar.

It takes a little time, but you eventually figure out the way to open the door - a small brick just above the floor, marked with a rune, is pushed in with someone's foot. There is the sound of gears crunching, and dust falls from the roof and onto your heads, but eventually it all finishes, and you see the secret room before you.

Small mounds and piles of rubble fill this square room, stretching a mere 10 feet both long and wide. Most of the debris, however, is piled by a roughly hewn tunnel bored into the western wall - identical to the ones you have seen and traversed before.

Three wooden chests sit in the middle of the floor. The lids of the chests are carved and painted with anthropomorphic figures resembling a badger, rabbit and fox respectively. The smashed remains of three padlocks lie strewn around the chests.

A wooden lever juts from an iron plate set into the southern wall. The lever looks like it could be slid up or down, and it rests currently in the down position.

Alead:
    The magic items you felt before are definitely coming from the chests in the middle of the room - the rabbit and fox, especially.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead looks cautiously at the chests.

"There's something magical in those boxes -- but I'm suspicious of unlocked, unguarded boxes stuffed full of treasure. I think I might have learned that lesson the hard way, once. I seem to remember my hand melting."

Alead pauses for a moment, lost in memories of his former selves. "Or my foot. Definitely lost some sort of extremity, though."

Alead lets his eyes unfocus -- and tries to read any traps or other arcane nastiness that might be infecting the room. The world opens up before him, a book to read. He's only surprised that the rest of the group can't see it all, too.
    Arcana: 1d20+9=28

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead:
    Scrying the boxes further, you don't sense anything magical about the chests themselves, or sense any form of trappings in the room itself. All you sense is the presence of two magical items, one in each of the rabbit and fox chests.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Hmm. Maybe they aren't trapped after all. Magically, anyway."

Alead grabs his staff right at one end, stands back as far as he's able, and jabs the rabbit chest -- hard.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The chest is shifted back an inch or so by the Deva's hard jab. So far as you notice, nothing else happens in the room.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead shrugs. "I'm out of ideas. Except, of course, for the obvious one."

Tapping the floor ahead of him with his staff like a blind man, the Deva advances on the rabbit chest.
    If Alead doesn't 'find' any traps on the way over, he'll take a deep breath and (while holding it) attempt to open the rabbit chest.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead carefully steps forward. He thinks he hears a "click" noise when he places his foot down on a piece of the floor, and instinctively dives forward, hitting his head on the badger box in his mad scramble to safety. The sound, as it turns out, was simply a rock tapping against another one due to his footfalls. But, with all the hassles and traps this place has on offer, you can't blame him for being too careful.

Rubbing his head, Alead opens the box, bracing himself for a firey explosion to rip through the air.

Instead, he finds himself staring down at what appears a dust-covered pile of plate iron armour pieces. The pieces aren't orderly piled, making it clear they have been disturbed from their original resting position - the sinewy hand-prints in the dust only encourage this theory.

Alead:
    Why, is that a set of +1 Plate Armour of Exploits? I think it is!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alead sighs -- that was slightly embarrassing. He gestures at the others. "Blublo, Quinn -- either of you want this thing?"

Standing, Alead walks to the other boxes and opens them in turn.

"I wonder what the skulks were so interested in that they left this stuff behind?"
    This is when my head gets blown off, right? Or there's a bugbear in the third box?

GrimmyTOA on