As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gundam Fight all set? Ready? GO!

1171819202123»

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've always believed that every red-blooded American male has an instinctive love of giant robots

Your brother must be a foreigner

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    I've always believed that every red-blooded American male has an instinctive love of giant robots

Your brother must be a foreigner

Especially American robots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekY5QUltwT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7C2AllNBMk

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The weird part is that the two mech series he has watched, Evangelion and Full Metal Panic (which are as different as I can think of) he's liked.

I think he has just some weird thing against the concept, so he almost never looks at them. I think he looked at Eva because he likes angsty mindscrew and FMP because he likes school comedies. The robots were almost a detriment to them for him.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are you sure he didn't watch Eva because he's a pedo for Asuka and Rei

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I kept expecting him to say, "VOLTRON! Defender of the Universe!" in the Gundam W vid

Ahahaha, I need to find and watch Big Guy and Rusty apparently

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    The weird part is that the two mech series he has watched, Evangelion and Full Metal Panic (which are as different as I can think of) he's liked.

I think he has just some weird thing against the concept, so he almost never looks at them. I think he looked at Eva because he likes angsty mindscrew and FMP because he likes school comedies. The robots were almost a detriment to them for him.

Hates mechs...

....loves school comedies?

.......There's no hope for this one.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man Big guy and Rusty is up there with Megas for me

Bucketman on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man I wish I could find that scene from FLCL where the dad goes into a big long speech about Gundam Vs. normal Robot Anime

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't watch Eva because he's a pedo for Asuka and Rei

Considering he considers those sorts of people really, really, low on the totem pole of humanity I'd say not.

No, he likes to see horribly messed up characters. I've heard him talk about the super angsty shows he likes. It's weird, I enjoy drama at times. But I'll cry like a little girl at the slightest dramatic moment. He on the other hand never shows that sort of reaction at all. In fact, when he talks about he seems to merely find it fascinating, like an cool thing to observe.

Pata on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's because it really connects with his inner personality

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    regardless, an individual that scorns G Gundam can hardly be considered human

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Crap he lurks here what if he sees these posts.

I've been talking smack about him on the internet.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    man Big guy and Rusty is up there with Megas for me

Yeah, it's pretty great.

And, Forever Zefiro, you have made a wise decision.

Always good for a laugh, and great casting too. Tim Curry was in it a couple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRXl06-_JQ

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    "Attention all mutant shoppers; I'm having a red white and blue light special on bug repellant!"

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

"In fact, I'm giving it away!"

Goatmon on

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My dad had the Big Guy and Rusty comic books the animated series was based on

I guess they were pretty good

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The comic was mostly pretty awful, at least story-wise; everything was ridiculously overdramatic, such as the dialogue of both the Big Guy and the narrator and pretty much everyone else. Also, very blatant attempts to make everything seem religious for some reason that really didn't work to it's benefit.

On the plus side, Big Guy strangles a giant satanic dinosaur with an entire subway train.

Goatmon on

• Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    We've done this like 5 times but

THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER

ITS BURNING GRIP TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU

This always makes me think of Xenogears and:

My fist is the divine breath.
    Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!
    Grant unto thee the great power of the glorious mother of destruction!

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    that is just a badass line right there

I'll tear a hole in heaven

I'll tear a hole in heaven

I've always liked One machine, unmatched in heaven, and equal to the Gods!, myself.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 comes out tomorrow.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

i want it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want to watch Gurren-Lagann again

That was the best show

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

totally picking it up after class 8-)

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    I want to watch Gurren-Lagann again

That was the best show
    My monday night was ruined somewhat by the realization that the Sci Fi channel postponed it a week to show their crappy original miniseries.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The comic was mostly pretty awful, at least story-wise; everything was ridiculously overdramatic, such as the dialogue of both the Big Guy and the narrator and pretty much everyone else. Also, very blatant attempts to make everything seem religious for some reason that really didn't work to it's benefit.

On the plus side, Big Guy strangles a giant satanic dinosaur with an entire subway train.

I am pretty sure that the comic didn't take itself seriously in any way, Goatmon, so you have once again completely missed the point.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »

I am pretty sure that the comic didn't take itself seriously in any way, Goatmon, so you have once again completely missed the point.

Oh. I guess I missed the deeper meaning here, behind an action comic about a giant American robot, smashing up Tokyo in the process of fighting a giant evil dinosaur, all the while playing out a metaphor of Man overcoming Satan with the power of God.

Or maybe I just think it's a comic with awesome action with a really stupid story, which it is. If not, feel free to enlighten me.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »

Oh. I guess I missed the deeper meaning here, behind an action comic about a giant American robot, smashing up Tokyo in the process of fighting a giant evil dinosaur, all the while playing out a metaphor of Man overcoming Satan with the power of God.

Or maybe I just think it's a comic with awesome action with a really stupid story, which it is. If not, feel free to enlighten me.

Oh no, Big Guy is aggressively stupid. It's just that you seem to be under the impression that the lines he has in the book aren't meant to be as corny and cheesy and stupid as possible.

And even if they are serious, it's Frank Miller so that's irrelevant. It's effectively the same thing.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I wasn't specifically refering to jsut Big Guy, but the entire narrative as a whole. And it's not the G Gundam kind of stupid, that is clearly trying to make you laugh.

Unless you think overdramatic, super serious stories are inherently hilarious.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    I wasn't specifically refering to jsut Big Guy, but the entire narrative as a whole. And it's not the G Gundam kind of stupid, that is clearly trying to make you laugh.

Unless you think overdramatic, super serious stories are inherently hilarious.

I know. And it is. It's intentionally bad. Like a bad silver-age comic.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i knew a guy that had a big guy and rusty bedside clock. dude was pretty cool. i love the big guy design, all cold war robot with massive amounts of weaponry.

and hell yeah, I'ma swing by best buy and grab DW:G2 after work

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    apparently my EB doesn't get this until tomorrow
    why must you lie to me, wikipedia release dates

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It doesn't lie. GameStop usually takes a day for shipping to get a game, unless it is officially street dated, which means they get it early and then hold it until the street date.

So, anyone play it yet

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

It doesn't lie. GameStop usually takes a day for shipping to get a game, unless it is officially street dated, which means they get it early and then hold it until the street date.

So, anyone play it yet

It is a Warriors game

I don't think the sequel is going to be radically different from the original

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, this one has huge enemies

Which means they got huge guts.

Really though, I know what to expect, but I'm curious about what's changed. Because a lot of times they add cool new stuff, but then take away cool stuff

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They took away suit leveling in favor of finding better parts for the suit.

So I mean, If that's a deal breaker for you then I guess don't buy it?

Mathilda on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

So, anyone play it yet

I got it today at GameStop.

It is pretty fun! Tons of characters to choose from and the action is much faster than the original. No more spending a few minutes to kill everyone that has a name! No more spending an eternity to get from one end of the map to the other! It's a great improvement on the original.

There's a shit ton of missions for every character and a fair amount of them have random elements to them. Which can suck sometimes because you might end up fighting a giant boss within the first few minutes but otherwise it is pretty cool. As for the boss battles they are a bit annoying as they take a fair amount of time to kill, and hitting their weak spots can be tough as there's not much time at all to hit them once they're exposed. I'm sure I'll get used to that over time though.

It's still a Dynasty Warriors game so it definitely won't win over anyone that doesn't like them already, but if you enjoy the series then I highly recommend it. Especially if you enjoyed the original Dynasty Warriors Gundam as it's basically an improvement over the original in every way.

Slicer on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    fucking amazon won't sell it until tomorrow and best buy didn't have any

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I found this thread by searching for the G Gundam catchphrase that is the title. I'm finally watching the whole damn thing, I don't care who or what tries to stop me.

Then Victory, then Turn A.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png