As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pixel Junk 1-4: Shooter : Comes out Dec. 10!

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
So Q games released a trailer for their new Pixel Junk game on their facebook group this morning, and luckily they used youtube. Here it is.

pjshooter.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EbsMtEv2CE&feature=player_embedded

There's also a naming contests HERE
Two slides before the video mention players interacting with their environments in different ways and the game being a shooter, with strategy coming in how the player takes cover, or use the environment to defeat their enemies.

I think from the trailer it looks really interesting and fun. I really love Eden, and this seems just as wacky.

Kyougu on

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The music is pretty awesome.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On a first glance it doesn't look like a twin-stick shooter, which I'm happy about. Otherwise it looks like... Choplifter mixed with Cave Story? Wonder why you actually have to release lava/water, since you can just pick up the dudes. The music is great - a bit more melodical than Eden, which I'm also very happy about.

Don't forget the naming contest

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I really want to learn how to program fluid physics like that.

Obs on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i will buy this game so hard. pixeljunk is one of the best things going on the ps3.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That looks so damn good. Is it a PS3 exclusive? I thought it was an indie pc game

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    all the pixeljunk games are ps3 exclusives

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks pretty damn cool. The Pixel Junk logo in the beginning says "1-4" So I'm guessing that means you can have up to 4 playing. I hope it has coop and not just death match.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i was assuming it meant it was the fourth game in their first series of games, personally

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks. Pitty, PS3s are way too expensive where I live (just like wiis and 360s).

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i was assuming it meant it was the fourth game in their first series of games, personally

While it initially looks like it could be that way, since Monsters is 1-2, and Eden is 1-3, Monsters actually is only two players, while you can play with 3 players on Eden, so those numbers always meant players to me.

I assume this is 4 players. And I'd say co-op is almost guaranteed based off of Monsters and Eden. At least I hope so.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i will buy this game so hard. pixeljunk is one of the best things going on the ps3.
    Agreed. Eden was awesome. And so was Monsters, but I suck at TD games.

Graviija on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »

While it initially looks like it could be that way, since Monsters is 1-2, and Eden is 1-3, Monsters actually is only two players, while you can play with 3 players on Eden, so those numbers always meant players to me.

I assume this is 4 players. And I'd say co-op is almost guaranteed based off of Monsters and Eden. At least I hope so.

There was 3 player co-op in Eden? Why the fuck haven't we ever played it then?!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks awesome, reminds me of those falling sand flash games.

I'm not sure about multiplayer. I don't think single-screen would work, it would get too crowded.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What names are you guys submitting?

Renzo on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

"PixelJunk: Renzo is Gay"

I think it's gonna win.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Because I assumed (wrongly) that you weren't an idiot, and knew this. The games tells you it's 3 players, and there is even a trophy that requires 3 people. We should totally play, I did the 3 player thing a few weeks ago when I had a friend from out of town come in. It was awesome.

We should also play Monsters, so I can show you how to stop sucking on that.

Now all they need to do with this series is add online play (not leader boards).

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Because I assumed (wrongly) that you weren't an idiot, and knew this. The games tells you it's 3 players, and there is even a trophy that requires 3 people. We should totally play, I did the 3 player thing a few weeks ago when I had a friend from out of town come in. It was awesome.

We should also play Monsters, so I can show you how to stop sucking on that.

Now all they need to do with this series is add online play (not leader boards).

Well now you know better!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Cause its local co-op, no online.... unless you guys actually live close to each other, then I'm not sure.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

"PixelJunk: Renzo is Gay"

I think it's gonna win.

Has a ring to it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This looks awesome. I've yet to pick up a PJ game yet (though I've been meaning to pick up Eden), but this looks really promising. Maybe even day one promising.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    greeble wrote: »

Cause its local co-op, no online.... unless you guys actually live close to each other, then I'm not sure.

Yeah we live close. He acts as my personal gimp. Most days he is inside the cellar, though he does own his own shed on the other side of town where he stays when I can't supervise him. He get's destructive.

Back to this PixelJunk game, it looks awesome. I really like the fluid dynamics they have going on there. Any idea of release? And this isn't the rumored PixelJunk: Dungeons is it. Don't they have like 3 games they are currently working on? This, Dungeons, and some unknown probably full 3D game?

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah they confirmed this is not dungeons, they are supposedly still working on that though.

greeble on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Joystiq Hands-on

This looks fucking fantastic to play, instantly bought. I hate the color palette for the cave background/walls though. All that tan/brown/grey is just shitty looking. Water and magma look super, wheee liquid physics.

Apparently getting hit and being near lava increases your heat meter, which if it fills up you will die. So you have to dunk yourself in water or pick up heat reducing powerups to continue spelunking. Good times.

JAEF on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

:cry:

That video made me want to buy the game. Alas, I shall probably never buy a PS3. We need more games like this.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I suggested PixelJunk Down Under.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Joystiq Hands-on

This looks fucking fantastic to play, instantly bought. I hate the color palette for the cave background/walls though. All that tan/brown/grey is just shitty looking. Water and magma look super, wheee liquid physics.

Apparently getting hit and being near lava increases your heat meter, which if it fills up you will die. So you have to dunk yourself in water or pick up heat reducing powerups to continue spelunking. Good times.

I'd hazard a guess that the ground colors will probably vary based on level (like Eden).

@ El Guaco: I agree that platform exclusives are kinda sucky, but they aren't going anywhere unfortunately. But never say never....that big expensive Super Sony GameStation will be cheaper eventually :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ground colors do change, I saw one screenshot which looked like an ice cave or a crystal cavern.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I dunno... mixing lava and water doesn't seem like much of a hook to me, this is probably just Vaporware.

(what have I done)

Antishow on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where'd you pull the vaporware title from? Pixeljunk has 3 games already, and they usually come out within a few months of their announcements.

The game looks really fun, and I'm going to have to pick up Eden and the Encore pack for it. I hope this one holds up well, because there are never enough cave shooters in the world

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't mind me, it's just a poorly implemented pun. This does look pretty cool.

Antishow on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah, I get it now

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »

That video made me want to buy the game. Alas, I shall probably never buy a PS3. We need more games like this.

Pixeljunk games and thatgamecompany games are what gives PS3 owners a smug little smirk when people say PSN has no good games.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Pixeljunk games and thatgamecompany games are what gives PS3 owners a smug little smirk when people say PSN has no good games.

People who say that don't really know the state of the PSN. PSN is easily equal to XBL, and some would argue superior in some ways.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know. But those 2 development teams really know how to pull off something special.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

People who say that don't really know the state of the PSN. PSN is easily equal to XBL, and some would argue superior in some ways.

Like in the "Has amazing, original games" kind of way...since XBLA has maybe *one* awesome original title.

edit: Seriously though, this looks amazing, and these guys are quickly becoming my favorite developer.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bumping just to let people know of the name.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ahh....Hrm.

I'd figure after a contest, there would've been a more...uh...unique, I guess, name. Doesn't take anything away from what's there already, though.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This looks really cool, I love games with terrain deformation as a mechanic. Pity I don't have a PS3.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Ahh....Hrm.

I'd figure after a contest, there would've been a more...uh...unique, I guess, name. Doesn't take anything away from what's there already, though.

Yeah, I thought the name was pretty generic myself. But I really like the logo, so that's something.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Seems a bit odd to me. The video shown makes it look like it has less to do with shooting, and more to do with manipulating the water and lava.

-Loki- on