Options

Telekinesis...best superpower or bestest superpower?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's not just awesome. He's amazing!

He's kinda done a podcast sort of thing, the amazing show. A lot of it is really fairly interesting.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    A power like telekensis in my every day life would probably cause my body to atrophy. Why would I bother picking up and holding an Xbox controller when I could just push the buttons with my mind? Or keyboard, or mouse, or any other device. Why walk when I can float? My physical body would waste away because I wouldn't be using it.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think teleportation would be the best power. Even if you limited to only being able to teleport to places were you been before, think of how much easier life would be. No long commutes (which gives you longer overall time to the day), no money wasted in gas, cheap vacations, you can get out of any troublesome situation super easily, etc, etc.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Hey, guys.

Actually, you're wrong about this imaginary thing being as awesome as you say it is, because in this theory I made up, this imaginary thing would actually have negative consequences. Negative consequences that are not nice!

And that's why my imaginary thing is better than yours. Because of this theory, you see. This scientific framework I've spun around this imaginary thing which states that your imaginary thing sucks and I'm totally awesome.

Please go back to your dream.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I once played a one-off game of Mutants and Masterminds. We were encouraged to come up with the most ridiculous and broken characters we could think of. My character? I just dumped every single point possible into telekinesis. My character was literally crippled in almost every way, having put almost no points in any attributes, skills, or whatever. The result was a character who made Stephen Hawking look like a star athlete, but could move the moon with his fucking mind.

However, if I could have any super power I wanted, I'd want the superpower to selectively and locally change the constants of the universe. So much cooler than telekinesis.

The most powerful mutant in Marvel Comics is Xavier the ultimate telepath retard on a wheel chair.
    He created Onslaught which is supposely an Ultimate existance.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I think teleportation would be the best power. Even if you limited to only being able to teleport to places were you been before, think of how much easier life would be. No long commutes (which gives you longer overall time to the day), no money wasted in gas, cheap vacations, you can get out of any troublesome situation super easily, etc, etc.

Teleportation is nice, but portals are better.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    I once played a one-off game of Mutants and Masterminds. We were encouraged to come up with the most ridiculous and broken characters we could think of. My character? I just dumped every single point possible into telekinesis. My character was literally crippled in almost every way, having put almost no points in any attributes, skills, or whatever. The result was a character who made Stephen Hawking look like a star athlete, but could move the moon with his fucking mind.

However, if I could have any super power I wanted, I'd want the superpower to selectively and locally change the constants of the universe. So much cooler than telekinesis.

The most powerful mutant in Marvel Comics is Xavier the ultimate telepath retard on a wheel chair.

I think you are a little behind on your Marvel Comics knowledge. Xavier is like, the 137th on the list of "most powerful mutants" by now.

Onslaught is like a goddamn footnote.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not really a "superpower" itself, but if I could choose what species I could be....

Half-Kryptonian/Half-Martian

Krytonians are pretty much immune to heat and flame, Martians are resistant to harmful psionics and are unaffected by Kryptonite. I'm just going to assume that in a D&D-like character creation the weaknesses and resistances of the two species will cancel each other out. (Like Spiritomb!!)

Not to mention all the superpowers that come along with it: Vast superhuman strength, speed and stamina, Invulnerability Flight, Telepathy, Invisibility, Intangibility, Regeneration, Longevity, Shape-shifting, Heat/X-Ray/Telescopic/Microscopic vision, Super breath, Self/Solar sustenance, and a limited form of Telekinesis.

I bet nobody thought of this before....

Gigaton on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

I think you are a little behind on your Marvel Comics knowledge. Xavier is like, the 137th on the list of "most powerful mutants" by now.

Didn't Xavier take on Ego in a one-on-one battle of the mind and win? I mean... if you can take on a giant, ancient, psychic planet, I think you classify as an Omega-level mutant.

But the whole point is moot. Tomorrow, there could be a comic book where the author decides that having Xavier being super powerful is handy to the plot and that list changes drastically.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It seems you people want superpowers not to save the world but cuz you're lazy.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's why I want knowledge of all languages - I love other cultures' literature, but I suck at learning languages.

I'm also including the language of computers so I would never have to call tech support, and body language so I'd become a low-level mind reader/empath.

I'd suck in combat, though, so I'll stick with being on the support team. Although being fluent in body language would possibly help with martial arts like fencing, as I could predict my opponents' moves.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly, I think the most evil thing I would do with telekinesis is win the fuck out of gambling and/or the lotto. Nice, practical, I wouldn't want for anything, and I could fight crime in my spare time.

My favorite powers were I to pick one, though, are creation and mechanical control/adaptation. The latter would more or less make me into the ultimate android/cyborg, eventually becoming a self-replicating nanomechanical entity, while the former is mostly to make my various artistic creations to life and use them as an army should it be necessary. Oh, you don't like my video game ideas? Well, maybe their ability to rip your head off in real life would change your mind! Actually, that probably wouldn't...

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

And?

Personally, I'd want superintelligence, because that would handy for my job and I might also be able to invent telekinesis machines and shit.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Didn't Xavier take on Ego in a one-on-one battle of the mind and win? I mean... if you can take on a giant, ancient, psychic planet, I think you classify as an Omega-level mutant.

But the whole point is moot. Tomorrow, there could be a comic book where the author decides that having Xavier being super powerful is handy to the plot and that list changes drastically.

Comics are not known for consistency.

I mean some guys like Apocalypse, Sinister and Dr. Doom just manifest whatever powers are convenient at the time

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a big fan of telepathy, because I'm a fan of powers that aren't observable, so I don't raise suspicion and end up getting probed by scientists.

Also, it gives me access to basically all the knowledge in the world, as well as wealth and power if I want it.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd always like the Instant Transmission from DBZ. Being able to close my eyes, see the place I want to go in my head, and then immediately teleport there would be fucking awesome. I'd wake up 2 seconds before I had to get to work.

urahonky on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have to agree that over any single given power, I'd probably want telekinesis.

Quid on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    telekinesis is overrated. I think everyone really underestimates super strength. Everything you can do in a fancy way with telekinesis can be done better with just brute force. Gonna move something inside another room? With strength, you just bust in there. Gonna use it to steal money? Again, bust in there and take in instead. And of course, for fighting, super strength is way better.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Super strength doesn't get you something you can't reach. Or onto something you can't reach.

Quid on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Control over personal time, like Professor Zoom, would be nice. Need to get somewhere fast? Ok, just adjust time so you arrive there instantly. Need to wreck someone's shit? OK, just adjust time so you're basically hitting them a million times in a single second.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think fighting with the ability to teleport would be so awesome. Dude comes at you like he's going to punch you, you teleport behind him and kick him in the back of the leg then teleport back to the front before he even realizes what happened.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Couldn't you use your powers to move your limbs so you could walk, run, and karate chop evil doers?

Oh yeah, tacticle telekinesis. Effectively bluffing your way through life as an Obs (new tradition: invulnerable super-strong brusiers are henceforth dubbed an Obs in my nerdvocabulary) when in truth it's not physical power or resilience, but carefully managed telekinesis.

Also thinking of Kakos and his antics, I do recall trying to playtest a homebrew at my local comic store- the guys there are pretty much demonstrably the world's best playtesters because my god if something can be cheesed, they can do it.

One guy made a character that literally couldn't walk or lift anything under his body's power and thus constantly had to make TK rolls in order to be mobile. And although his stats were so terrible that, in-universe, a punch from a toddler could've probably killed him, his modifiers were so goddamn ridiculous that he killed the campaign's boss in two turns. I suck.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Super strength doesn't get you something you can't reach. Or onto something you can't reach.

Yes it does. You can use it to jump really high, and smash through anything that's in your way.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I think fighting with the ability to teleport would be so awesome. Dude comes at you like he's going to punch you, you teleport behind him and kick him in the back of the leg then teleport back to the front before he even realizes what happened.

and then sabertooth rips your spine out.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd like invisibility. I'm not sure why, it just feels more like something I should be able to do than any other power.

Of course the problem with that is that when you say invisibility, everyone assumes you just want to use it to sneak into the girls changing room and smell their hair.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Yes it does. You can use it to jump really high, and smash through anything that's in your way.
    See, sometimes you don't want to smash whatever's in your way.

Quid on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Technically, with telekinesis, you can fly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    I'd like invisibility. I'm not sure why, it just feels more like something I should be able to do than any other power.

Of course the problem with that is that when you say invisibility, everyone assumes you just want to use it to sneak into the girls changing room and smell their hair.

What else would you use it for? Lame non-rapey things? psh.

Also, my roommate makes me hate telekinesis. He's a big physics nut, thus he wants telekinesis because it allows him to fly, split atoms, create heat, freeze stuff, and so on. His telekinesis is so unbalanced.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

You'd still need to train quite a bit at actual fighting to be effective.

an 85 pound weakling kicking you from behind ain't gonna do the job on it's own

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »

Couldn't you use your powers to move your limbs so you could walk, run, and karate chop evil doers?

Oh yeah, tacticle telekinesis. Effectively bluffing your way through life as an Obs (new tradition: invulnerable super-strong brusiers are henceforth dubbed an Obs in my nerdvocabulary) when in truth it's not physical power or resilience, but carefully managed telekinesis.

Also thinking of Kakos and his antics, I do recall trying to playtest a homebrew at my local comic store- the guys there are pretty much demonstrably the world's best playtesters because my god if something can be cheesed, they can do it.

One guy made a character that literally couldn't walk or lift anything under his body's power and thus constantly had to make TK rolls in order to be mobile. And although his stats were so terrible that, in-universe, a punch from a toddler could've probably killed him, his modifiers were so goddamn ridiculous that he killed the campaign's boss in two turns. I suck.

Peter Reidinger (in the Talents universe by Anne McCaffrey) was paralyzed from the neck down, but an incredibly powerful telekinetic and telepath.
    Eventually, through the help of a microkinetic who fixed his nerves, he got the ability to walk and the ability to throw space shuttles with his mind.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had an idea for a superhero once that I thought was pretty cool. You always see comic book telekinetics tossing around cars and stopping bullets and shit. How about a telekinetic who couldn't exert much more force than a gentle push or move more mass than a small object... but compensated for it by studying obsessively about mechanics, engineering, electronics, anatomy? He wouldn't have to stop a car, just disconnect the fuel line. He wouldn't have to stop bullets, he could just break the gun's firing pin in half. He could kill people, not with mind bullets, but by inducing a tiny embolism in a strategic location deep in the brain.

I think that would be awesome.

Personally, though, the superpower I want is telepathy - or more precisely mind control, a'la White Queen or Mastermind. I don't need to toss cars around to shoot lightning, I'd rather just jedi mind trick people into getting what I want.
    :winky:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would be terrified of getting telepathy. Being able to hear what everyone is thinking about you is potentially the most depressing thing ever.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »

Peter Reidinger (in the Talents universe by Anne McCaffrey) was paralyzed from the neck down, but an incredibly powerful telekinetic and telepath.
    Eventually, through the help of a microkinetic who fixed his nerves, he got the ability to walk and the ability to throw space shuttles with his mind.

Asimov and McCaffrey were such good sources for this kind of thing!

I mean McCaffrey had such great samples but I Asimov's Mule is one of the most memorable psychic-type-people in literature.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

If I was somehow an incredibly powerful mage, I'd probably go into foreign relations. I mean, Germany and Japan are two of our closest allies. Phrases like "North Korea, this is going to hurt a bit, okay?" would eventually be recognized as the height of diplomacy.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The problem with using telekinesis to replicate other powers is you run into issues of precision, knowledge, and attention. Sure, you might be able to use telekinesis to create a force shield around you at all times, making you effectively invulnerable, but just a moment's distraction could fuck you over. Yeah, you could hypothetically manipulate matter on a molecular level to create heat or cold, but that implies a level of precision and fine perception that are themselves superhuman. I wouldn't call that character a telekinetic, I'd call that character God.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    I would be terrified of getting telepathy. Being able to hear what everyone is thinking about you is potentially the most depressing thing ever.

Oh, I'd just change their minds.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

See, sometimes you don't want to smash whatever's in your way.

I guess... maybe if you're some kind of pansy.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    The problem with using telekinesis to replicate other powers is you run into issues of precision, knowledge, and attention. Sure, you might be able to use telekinesis to create a force shield around you at all times, making you effectively invulnerable, but just a moment's distraction could fuck you over. Yeah, you could hypothetically manipulate matter on a molecular level to create heat or cold, but that implies a level of precision and fine perception that are themselves superhuman. I wouldn't call that character a telekinetic, I'd call that character God.

I've always loved settings that have powers of all varieties; differences in power, accuracy, range, endurance, that sort of thing. The difference between smashing a wall with your brain and putting on a beautiful muli-coloured light show by manipulating individual dust motes.

At lower power levels, a telepath-telekinetic isn't really much improved over a talented interrogator with a bigass gun. Right up until they punch you in the face without using their hands.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In terms of practical super powers I have thought about this alot and in order

1- Large scale Teleportation( that is to say you can move objects and yourself long distances instantly)
    This would allow you to become a one man shipping company,Airline, or Troop transport/evac. There's alot of applications for this ability

2. Control of Electricity( not just generation but the ability to make it behave how you want )
    Screw paying the power bill. You could also charge large sums to provide emegency power to a city's hospitals that would be more reliable than a generator.

3. Self Duplication/Reabsorbtion
    97 paychecks a week. Nuff said.

4. Flight.
    Less useful than telportation but you'd be able to do alot of jobs that usually require stringent saftey requirements thus making you a more valuble employee.

5. Technopathy
    Control of machines. You could feasibly be tech support for the world.
    Downside- You'd be tech support for the world.
    You coulkd rob ATMs fairly easily though. Thanks Micah!

6. Shapeshifter.
    You can look like anyone/anything. The obvious answer is Prostitute. The better less icky answer is process server for supoenas or private investigator

7.Quick healing
    Basically being nigh on indestrucable would allow you several jobs but I think Hollywood actor who does all his own stunts would be the best.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doesn't beat telepathy or having Onslaught level reality warping ability. The second case can create telekineses among other things.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.