As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] UI screenies, mods and macro discussion

• Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I kind of want to redo all my keybindings but I'm scared. Does anyone here use ESDF instead of WASD?

I've wanted to try that for ages but I am also scared. It's so hard to train myself to use keybindings as it is.

riz on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I kind of want to redo all my keybindings but I'm scared. Does anyone here use ESDF instead of WASD?

I always wanted to try that, but after years of FPS it seemed more trouble than it's worth. I can't imagine needing more keys than are immediately in reach with WASD anyway.

~, 1-5
    CTRL + Q, W, E, R
    SHIFT + ~, 1-5, T, X, C, V

I don't think I'd ever want more keybindings than that.

exis on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I use ASD. If I really need to back up I can use Shift+S. I considered moving over to ESDF, but I found it awkward to hit the CTRL key while moving.

I should also mention that my hand doesn't leave my mouse unless I'm typing, as I'm a mouselook whore. Strafing away from something so you can still use your instants that require facing your enemy = win.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah you can manage just fine without, comme ca:

bar1.jpg

if you need more keys than that, you can keep on mapping control+shift modifiers to your other easily accessible keys

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I click too much is my problem. I need to bind more crap that's easy to hit.

Jim show me your whole UI again I'm too lazy to scroll back and find it.

Medopine on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I could probably do just fine with the default Ui, but I don't like how spread out all the buttons are. So this is what my bars look like:

bars.png

The 1-6 bar changes with alt/shift/ctrl down for some other stuff.

Echo on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    ach mien UI
    a.jpg

I change my bindings a lot from spec to spec

but the bar I posted above is how things stay mostly

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I use ESDF. It did take some getting used to, but the extra keys were worth the trade-off.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dongpuller wrote: »
    I use ESDF. It did take some getting used to, but the extra keys were worth the trade-off.

Do you still bind 1-5? I've thought about ESDF too, but it seems like it would make reaching 1 a bit difficult.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've got ~ bound on some characters, and I could still reach it if I felt like rebinding all my keys to do it, but I have freakishly long, skinny fingers, so I'm not sure it could work for everyone.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've personally got only 1 2 3 4 5 bound for shape shifting purposes, then all of my other spells are Q, E, R, T, F, G, Z, and C, with Shifts and Ctrls with that.

My UI:

wowscrnshot010708183913ix1.th.jpg

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh, I think I'll just stay with WASD. My hands are sort of small, and it seems like changing to ESDF would mean changing a lot of binds.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm looking for a simple add-on (maybe a FuBar plug-in) that will show me my AP. That's all! I guess superfluous feature are not a big deal but I don't carry that big an FPS to start with and I know that dynamically-updating fields can slow things down so ... just really looking for that AP number. Any ideas?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    NezzarNezzar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That would be TinyAttackPower (http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/7258/). It can also show crit and MH/OH speed.

Nezzar on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In bongos is there any way to make the action bars vertical?

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes, in the bar option set the number of columns to one.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HoberShortHoberShort Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Re: Control problems

I used to have the same issue, after binding 1-5, shift+1-5, alt+1-5, I was about to bind ctrl+1-5, when I said "Screw that" and got a Nostromo n52. Bind the D-Pad to WASD, bind Mouse4 to auto-run, get used to steering by holding down the right mouse, and you have 14 buttons for spells. I turned one into a shift key, to get 26 buttons. Couldn't play WoW without it now.

HoberShort on
    "Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." -Raph Koster
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That...that is kinda sexy.

Medopine on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought that thing a while back, tried to use it for a day, and promptly returned it.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have been using VendorValues for awhile now, but it stopped working with yesterdays patch.

Any suggestions for an add-on that will give me vendor prices on items?

Seg on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Check to see if the blizz actionbars are turned on in the Interface menu. "Lower Right Action Bar" etc

Thank you so much, may the Blizz gods reward you with mane naken gnome women

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    I have been using VendorValues for awhile now, but it stopped working with yesterdays patch.

Any suggestions for an add-on that will give me vendor prices on items?

I fixed it, but only on my local copy. I'm in the middle of a change in paradigm, so it's kind of cobbled together from somewhat incomplete pieces, but it does work. I just can't release it widely until I finish up the changes, which might be a few weeks since it's near the bottom of my list in terms of importance. If you run into problems, let me know.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HoberShort wrote: »
    Re: Control problems

I used to have the same issue, after binding 1-5, shift+1-5, alt+1-5, I was about to bind ctrl+1-5, when I said "Screw that" and got a Nostromo n52. Bind the D-Pad to WASD, bind Mouse4 to auto-run, get used to steering by holding down the right mouse, and you have 14 buttons for spells. I turned one into a shift key, to get 26 buttons. Couldn't play WoW without it now.

That's what I do. It's great.

Bigity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2008

Sexy until you meet up with its younger, more promiscuous sister the N52 Tournament Edition.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    robothero wrote: »

Sexy until you meet up with its younger, more promiscuous sister the N52 Tournament Edition.

Can you explain to me exactly how that manages to make it $40 more expensive than the standard N52? It looks like a backlit, recolored N52. I doubt having Razer provide the software for it can justify the increase in price.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, the main addition is that the player profiles, instead of being installed onto your computer, are stored on the device itself. So you could go to a friends house and plug it in, and all your macro settings are good to go, no need to reprogram or install software.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Now that is cool, but I'm not sure I'd ever use that. So I think I might order the cheaper one and see if I can get it to work for me.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Well, the main addition is that the player profiles, instead of being installed onto your computer, are stored on the device itself. So you could go to a friends house and plug it in, and all your macro settings are good to go, no need to reprogram or install software.

That doesn't mean shit to me, because even if it does store your "macro settings" for the N52 I would still be lacking my in-game macros and UI settings. For a WoW player both of those are pretty significant unless you're a filthy clicker.

More importantly, if I were to go to a friend's house I would be lugging my computer around anyway since I would expect them to be playing WoW, too. That and things related to UI design and the difference in screen resolutions.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm not trying to justify the price bump, just giving the probable reason for it.

I'm perfectly fine with the regular n52. You should get one medo.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Now that is cool, but I'm not sure I'd ever use that. So I think I might order the cheaper one and see if I can get it to work for me.

I would suggest just buying one locally (Pretty much any Best Buy or CompUSA will have them) so you can just return it if you don't like it. I knew within 1 hour of using it that I wouldn't be keeping it, much easier to just drive it back rather than deal with shipping etc etc.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »

I would suggest just buying one locally (Pretty much any Best Buy or CompUSA will have them) so you can just return it if you don't like it. I knew within 1 hour of using it that I wouldn't be keeping it, much easier to just drive it back rather than deal with shipping etc etc.

What didn't you like about it?

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The feel of the thing, the plastic wasn't very comfortable at all for me. The worst though was trying to reconfigure my entire playstyle, my reaction times became abysmally slow because instead of my usual instinctual setup, I had to focus and think twice when I wanted to do something.

Generally it was a horrible time to be trying it out, I was raiding BWL and AQ40 regularly at the time, and it was just the worst time possible to try and re-adjust all my controls.

I think if people give it enough time it could be useful, but I didn't find it much more convenient than my current setup, and I didn't want to relearn everything from scratch.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    [tIMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/kitki83/Picture-1-1.jpg[/tIMG]

Ok there are two problems,

1. That empty black box I dont know how to take it out.
    2. My quest box is to long, can I change it to be more thinner

or take out that feature?

Thank you

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You can unlock lightheaded and move it around, I can't remember how though sorry.

No idea what the black box is.

815165 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All this talk about key bindings make me think about whether I should change mine. Right now, the only custom keybinding I have is that shift+numbers is the bottom left action bar.

Also, I have no UI mods at all and is thinking about whether I should change that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is there an addon that will mark on my map where I need to go for all my quests?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Is there an addon that will mark on my map where I need to go for all my quests?

LightHeaded and TomTom or Cartographer should work quite nicely.

If you don't know where quests are and want an in-game leveling guide check out TourGuide.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For the most part, I know where everything is. I just want to maximize my quest stacking.

Will this combo auto-track? Or do I manually place markers on the map?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cartographer will remember quest locations automatically. However, it generates them as you make required kills, loot quest items or complete quests, so you have to actually go through the process first. To my knowledge, there is no database for quest markers.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    For the most part, I know where everything is. I just want to maximize my quest stacking.

Will this combo auto-track? Or do I manually place markers on the map?

LightHeaded gives you in-game access to Wowhead's database, so you can click locs in there for waypoints.

TourGuide is what I've been using for my mage. It has been great for quest stacking. It tells you what order to collect and do quests in, where to set your hearthstone, etc. For a lot of quests waypoints are provided, but that is up to the guide author to include. LightHeaded is what I use to fill in the gaps :)

The horde guide for the 60-70 trek is largely incomplete at the moment, but it is being worked on.

Barrakketh on
This discussion has been closed.