Options

This is the Thread About Books and Literature.

• Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shanks' moustache is dead.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    If you simplify anything enough is sounds stupid

Dr. Zhivago was just some boring book about a hike

So was Lord of the Rings

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    except lord of the rings actually was boring

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    At last we agree

I almost picked up Fellowship used the other day

And I was like

"Nope I'll get Dune Messiah instead"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    Hey here's the book thread.

Does anyone know any good books on Norse myth or Egyptian myth or gods? They both seem to be coming up a lot in games, books, and TV/movies I'm seeing recently, and I want to know more. I'm thinking something fairly accessible and entry-level.

Dunno if anyone has answered this yet

But The Norse Myths, introduced and retold by Kevin Crossley-Holland is super good. It's a wonderful mix of accessible and then also incredibly detailed notes on where he gets everything from and how it relates to the historical cycles and shit

So good

Straightzi on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And now I see it was recommended in the very next post. Oh well.

Well, I'm almost done with The Norse Myths myself, probably angling towards The Illustrated Man or maybe The Divine Comedy next. I recently reread Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, which I hadn't read since I was a wee lad, and it was incredibly good, for being written for children, and a lot better than I remembered it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what is a good book

The Name of the Wind

I carried it everywhere with me for like a week, I just couldn't put it down

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used to be absolutely insane about Norse mythology

my favorite book was a big one with a glossy cover

the front depicted Baldr's funeral ark with Odin being serious in the foreground

wish I could find that book

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    so the dresden files remains highly enjoyable almost a year since i read them last except i tend to skip over most of the description of women and harry's boners because it's kind of lame

but i'm really glad to see shank fagging up the book thread cause he don't like something

Have you read Turn Coat yet

last one i read was deadbeat

rereading them all before i read the newer ones

on grave peril currently

that harry sure does wind up in a lot of trouble

t quetzi: i win i am de best

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh man you really need to catch up shit has gone [down since then

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At last we agree

And I was like

Stop reading after Messiah. The rest are just shit.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    dang looks like i do

son of a bitch 8 to go

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just started reading The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan

Pretty good so far

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally started reading City of Lies by R.J Ellroy

Thinking that I'm going to want to talk like this. All the time. "Well, for as long as I'm reading" it he says.
    Presses submit. Waits reply.

ascot on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm starting to read The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor. I like this guy a lot, he is a very balanced historian who is readable (albeit he isn't great with words) and it's a very interesting, sad, horrible, depressing, enlightening subject.

I also just finished The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon, read it in about two days. It was good but I still have to think about it.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    At last we agree

And I was like

Stop reading after Messiah. The rest are just shit.

I've Dune, Messiah, and half of Children

I figure I'll at least finish Children this time around

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow and I'll only be there two days, but the trip itself will take about six hours there and six hours back. My dilemma is what to bring to read.

I just finished Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, and the non-fiction book I'm reading right now is an antique so I don't want to carry it with me. I was tempted to bring a Murakami that I haven't read yet, but I feel like that might be a little, y'know, chachi. I've also been meaning to reread Jurassic Park (just in that sort of a mood), but that would hardly occupy twelve hours of my time. The only other things tempting me on my bookshelf right now are In Cold Blood, ooor maybe a book called The Famished Road by Ben Okri, or potentially American Brutus, a non-fiction book about John Wilkes Booth. Thing is, I really only want to bring one book - two at the very very most.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If velociraptors can't entertain you for twelve hours then I just don't know you anymore

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A book that takes twelve hours to read? Perhaps the book of the new sun.

Am I the only one who has read the Book of the New Sun? I feel like I am talking to myself when I post about it, but I could have sworn someone here recommended it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow and I'll only be there two days, but the trip itself will take about six hours there and six hours back. My dilemma is what to bring to read.

I just finished Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, and the non-fiction book I'm reading right now is an antique so I don't want to carry it with me. I was tempted to bring a Murakami that I haven't read yet, but I feel like that might be a little, y'know, chachi. I've also been meaning to reread Jurassic Park (just in that sort of a mood), but that would hardly occupy twelve hours of my time. The only other things tempting me on my bookshelf right now are In Cold Blood, ooor maybe a book called The Famished Road by Ben Okri, or potentially American Brutus, a non-fiction book about John Wilkes Booth. Thing is, I really only want to bring one book - two at the very very most.

Wiggin's rule of plane trips: Always bring three books

Two might be enough to do it but it's better to be safe than sorry

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Give me an author to draw.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arthur Conan Doyle?

And I think three will take up too much room, maybe! I'll definitely take Jurassic Park, because velociraptors DO entertain me. But for the other one... or two... I just don't know.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm gonna say The Famished Road if only because the wiki description makes it sound interesting and it was apparently the inspiriation for a Radiohead song.

Although the Wilkes Booth book sounds interesting too, I love me some Lincoln.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    So I'm starting to read The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor. I like this guy a lot, he is a very balanced historian who is readable (albeit he isn't great with words) and it's a very interesting, sad, horrible, depressing, enlightening subject.

I also just finished The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon, read it in about two days. It was good but I still have to think about it.
    I've read Stalingrad. It's real good.

I want to eventually read Beevor's other stuff. His books appear to be a bit general, but for someone that's not a history buff like myself, they're very nice.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've read Jurassic Park so many times

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    But it never stops being great! I read it the first time when I was nine, and it has only improved with time.

I didn't know that The Famished Road was the inspiration for Street Spirit. That's pretty awesome. The final cut for my trip is... oh wait, I'm bringing everything I talked about but In Cold Blood.

I'm only going to be gone for two days. This is ridiculous.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

you should read Jurassic Park and The Lost World

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that's still not even 4 hours

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I read The Copper Beeches last night in bed and it illustrated how much I had forgotten about the awesomeness of Doyle's writing. Holmes is just so fantastic.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I read The Copper Beeches last night in bed and it illustrated how much I had forgotten about the awesomeness of Doyle's writing. Holmes is just so fantastic.

the sherlock holmes movie has me pretty excited, fandy

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

you should read Jurassic Park and The Lost World

You should read the Arthur Conan Doyle The Lost World

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A book that takes twelve hours to read? Perhaps the book of the new sun.

Am I the only one who has read the Book of the New Sun? I feel like I am talking to myself when I post about it, but I could have sworn someone here recommended it.

In an effort to patch some shameful holes in my reading list, I ordered Shadow & Claw last week, along with The Road, and A Canticle For Liebowitz. They should arrive some time this week.

I also picked up Tales of the Black Company by Glen Cook the other day to hold me over until the order arrived, but I'm only a few chapters in so far. I think I like it?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No but really Sali, the longest books I can think of are all just Alexandre Dumas

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Isn't is starring Johnny Depp or something?

because if they find an actor who can do real justice to the weird deductive vulcan-esque logic of Doyle's Holmes while retaining the characters melancholy I will asplode

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Count of Monte Crisco

By Alexandre....Dum-ass

Dumb asss

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

because if they find an actor who can do real justice to the weird deductive vulcan-esque logic of Doyle's Holmes while retaining the characters melancholy I will asplode

Robert Downey Jr I think

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Robert Downey Jr I think

I can work with that

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The trailer's been everywhere and we even had a thread about it how did you miss that

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited June 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoyed Amerika alright, it is a shame how good it got towards the end.

Swill on
This discussion has been closed.