Options

This is the Thread About Books and Literature.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, it was also kinda irritating that all the "supernatural" stuff in these books is explained by being fringe science, which is fine in and of itself

but then a major plot point is that one could create something like a Voodoo zombie by destroying the region of the brain called Broca's area, resulting in the victim being impervious to pain, extremely violent, lacking moral or ethical considerations, and completely submissive to the commands of its master

and I'm like that is not what Broca's area does at all

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I am reading a collection of short stories by Ambrose Bierce.

It is good times.

I've really taken a liking to short stories lately.

Have you read Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad? Good stuff.
    So I finished A Canticle For Leibowitz. I'm kind of let down in two regards. I was expecting more of a pay-off with the divinity of Leibowitz and an explanation for the Wandering Jew.

Part of me was sad there wasn't more narrative pay-off in those two aspects of the book. At the same time part of me was thrilled he resisted the temptation to tie up all the loose ends. The whole book is a riff on the cyclical nature of man's self-destruction. The Wandering Jew keeps wandering - isn't tied down with a single, clear-cut meaning - as a metaphor for the open-ended nature of the cycle. The vultures and sharks keep eating and the wanderer keeps wandering, you know? So it was somewhat disappointing as a story, I agree, but helped maintain the integrity of the book's themes. I don't think the book would be as memorable if there had been a Wizard of Oz moment when the curtain is pulled back and things were spelled out for you.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I am reading a collection of short stories by Ambrose Bierce.

It is good times.

I've really taken a liking to short stories lately.

Have you read Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad? Good stuff.
    So I finished A Canticle For Leibowitz. I'm kind of let down in two regards. I was expecting more of a pay-off with the divinity of Leibowitz and an explanation for the Wandering Jew.

Part of me was sad there wasn't more narrative pay-off in those two aspects of the book. At the same time part of me was thrilled he resisted the temptation to tie up all the loose ends. The whole book is a riff on the cyclical nature of man's self-destruction. The Wandering Jew keeps wandering - isn't tied down with a single, clear-cut meaning - as a metaphor for the open-ended nature of the cycle. The vultures and sharks keep eating and the wanderer keeps wandering, you know? So it was somewhat disappointing as a story, I agree, but helped maintain the integrity of the book's themes. I don't think the book would be as memorable if there had been a Wizard of Oz moment when the curtain is pulled back and things were spelled out for you.
    <3

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh, it was also kinda irritating that all the "supernatural" stuff in these books is explained by being fringe science, which is fine in and of itself

but then a major plot point is that one could create something like a Voodoo zombie by destroying the region of the brain called Broca's area, resulting in the victim being impervious to pain, extremely violent, lacking moral or ethical considerations, and completely submissive to the commands of its master

The thing is he can get away with that because 9/10s of the population doesn't know that and also doesn't care

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

The thing is he can get away with that because 9/10s of the population doesn't know that and also doesn't care

Yeah, and that's true for most other books that employ that sort of pseudo-sciencey plot device as well

it just bugged me because I happen to know it

still a fun book though

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I liked Brimstone

It's like no it's not the devil

It's a fucking heat gun

Me Too! on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what DOES Broca's area do?

bro
    ...ca

Ivar on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ivar wrote: »
    So what DOES Broca's area do?

bro
    ...ca

It controls speech. When stories get actual science stuff like that wrong, it tends to bug me too. If it's made up science, fine, but do some research if you want to use real terms.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow

I was looking for something silly and light, so I picked up what I figured was a silly werewolf story.

Turns out it's written entirely in free verse.

And it's awesome.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking about buying a Vampire Hunter D novel.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nueromancer is brilliant Fandy, if you don't like it I'll yell at you more.

I finished the Mike Carey book, The Devil You Know. It was pretty good, a fun little mishmash of detective noir and a ghost story.

And yes Salient, I am still totally down to take you up on that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Nueromancer is brilliant Fandy, if you don't like it I'll yell at you more.

I finished the Mike Carey book, The Devil You Know. It was pretty good, a fun little mishmash of detective noir and a ghost story.

And yes Salient, I am still totally down to take you up on that.

I just finished Ennis' run on Hellblazer and started on Carey's

Dang

Dude can write

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't read his Hellblazer but I love his X-Men and obviously Lucifer is brilliant.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking about buying a Vampire Hunter D novel.
    I've read this first two, and didn't care for them much. It might be the translation, but something was definitely off about them. Theres a bunch though, and the translator (or author) may have improved with time and experience.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I haven't read his Hellblazer but I love his X-Men and obviously Lucifer is brilliant.

The last two pages of his Hellblazer run are simply wonderful

Me Too! on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I finished A Void yesterday, and the ending was... surprising! I think I would have approached the entire novel differently had I known what would happen in the last chapter. I'm left wondering if certain portions of the book had relevance that I missed in light of the resolution, or if they had no ultimate purpose other than to serve as stylistic digressions. But it was amusing, all in all!

I mentioned it earlier, and I'll repeat it now - if Balefuego or anyone else wants to read it, I'll mail my copy to them now that I'm done.

I'm probably going to find this book prior to my trip in July, but B&N can just ship it, so don't worry.

Also I wish that your post was a lipogram

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I need to hit up the fucking library tomorrow

nothing else to do in this shit town

of course, our library is kinda shitty too

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    what are you going to get double gee

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've really been wanting to take a gander at The Lost City of Z ever since someone mentioned it in the last book thread; other than that I think I'll have to browse until I see something that catches my eye

Unless you have any suggestions, Bale

I wish I could narrow down a genre for you but lately I've been interested in books that blend a lot of different genres together

Also some historical non-fiction would be cool?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Go read Dresden Files (again if necessary I've read them all 5+ times now)

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    books that blend genres? Why that sounds like a recipe for some Dan Simmons.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've really been wanting to take a gander at The Lost City of Z ever since someone mentioned it in the last book thread; other than that I think I'll have to browse until I see something that catches my eye

I wish I could narrow down a genre for you but lately I've been interested in books that blend a lot of different genres together

I saw the Lost City of Z in the book store the other day. It looks like a nice, easy, quick read.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    not historical, but if you want a great non-fiction book, check out gang leader for a day, about a random grad student that falls in with a chicago gang. fascinating true life stuff. i bought it randomly at borders because they were having a huge sale, and read it in one day.

if you want more memoir type books, also check out bill buford's among the thugs and heat, and anything anthony bourdain.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I still need to read The Corner

I read Homicide right before I left and dang that book was good

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of crime books, I should read Homicide sometime.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's really very good

Some of the cases are just fucked up, one in particular involving a woman married to two men at once

And they all lived together

And the dudes didn't know the other one was married to her

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No way.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the corner is thick, but sooo good. i have a fascination with crime stuff. if you wanna know what prison life is like, check out newjack by ted conover.

if you're more into great noirish crime fiction stuff, go get any book by george pelecanos (who was also a writer for the wire)

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No way.

That's the most believable part of it

It then goes on to shit including voodoo and a potion made from her menstrual blood and it's just fucking bizarre

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    the corner is thick, but sooo good. i have a fascination with crime stuff. if you wanna know what prison life is like, check out newjack by ted conover.

if you're more into great noirish crime fiction stuff, go get any book by george pelecanos (who was also a writer for the wire)

I'll look for Newjack on Tuesday

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

The Book of the New Sun is a blend of fantasy and science fiction in a dying earth setting and is totally awesome.

You probably already read it though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I finished A Void yesterday, and the ending was... surprising! I think I would have approached the entire novel differently had I known what would happen in the last chapter. I'm left wondering if certain portions of the book had relevance that I missed in light of the resolution, or if they had no ultimate purpose other than to serve as stylistic digressions. But it was amusing, all in all!

I mentioned it earlier, and I'll repeat it now - if Balefuego or anyone else wants to read it, I'll mail my copy to them now that I'm done.

I'm probably going to find this book prior to my trip in July, but B&N can just ship it, so don't worry.

Also I wish that your post was a lipogram

You know, I thought about it, but my brain was functioning well below normal levels yesterday. It probably would have ended in tragedy and bloodshed.

Bale, you should PM me your address.

Wikipedia just informed me of a book today called A History of the World in 10½ Chapters, which is written by an author who was recommended to me last week for another book he wrote called Flaubert's Parrot. I haven't read either, but I feel like two references in two weeks clearly indicate that I should at least investigate further.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who here is familiar with Kipling?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've Kippled once or twice.

Or is that not the answer you were looking for?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe.

Go on.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    First I applied a fake moustache. Then I bought a pipe and went to India.

Nah, I lied, I really just watched Rikki-Tikki-Tavi like eighteen times in a row and wrapped it up with the version of The Elephant's Child narrated by Jack Nicholson.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't read anything of his past Just So Stories. Didn't really like it, but then again I don't think I was in the target audience of that particular book.

queuewindow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I started reading Kim a while back, but I gave up about half of the way through. For whatever reason it didn't click. I think it had to do with the style of writing at the time it was made.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've really enjoyed the Kipling that I've read, in all seriousness. I adored the Just So Stories when I was a kid, and I loved the heck out of Gunga Din and Captains Courageous for no discernable reason, looking back on it. I haven't reread any of his works in years, so that may not be the case now.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kim seems kinda interesting I guess, but probably the kind of book that is hellish to read unless you're really digging the prose.

Speaking of acclaimed books that didn't click: All Quiet on the Western Front. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd read this book before. Just so goddamn generic

queuewindow on
This discussion has been closed.