Options

[360] 1 vs. 100 Beta: Married to the Mob

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Oh, and who the hell knew the indoor parts of Mallrats were filmed in Minnesota? :( At the Mall of America, I presume?

Sorry, saw this and had to respond. It was filmed at Eden Prairie Mall, about 20 minutes due west of the MoA.

Sadly, EP Mall has been redesigned so it's pretty much unrecognizable from the inside as the "Mallrats" mall.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Updated the OP a bit—it looks like it's general trivia Extended Play sessions all this week, with a live show at 8 p.m. EST on Friday. I'm not going to update the title with the schedule since they seem to be running things every day now. :P
    Idx86 wrote:
    How are the questions? I haven't been home during a game yet, but I love trivia.

They run the gamut, depending on the theme of that particular show. Mostly it's general trivia (pop culture, TV/film/entertainment, basic history, etc.), though there have been a smattering of game-oriented questions as well. There were some "E3 Trivia" shows last week, and there's a "Community Questions" show sometime this week, so it's likely every day will be different.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn, I missed the extended play today :(

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    there's 3 more on tonight..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    or not. its starting now.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes. This is going to be awesome when it launches. I would love the chance to win MS points. It does seem like there won't be enough trivia for the best of us though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Im working until midnight EST. I tried getting into this but I can never figure out where to go or what to do.

Anything for me tonight?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So Im working until midnight EST. I tried getting into this but I can never figure out where to go or what to do.

Anything for me tonight?

You mean, you're not sure where on the dashboard you go? It should be generally somewhere on the Spotlight channel (that first one when you boot up that everyone skips) or in the Events panel. There's a permanent home for Primetime Games now, but I forget where it is—maybe in the Game Marketplace. Anyway, you'll find a panel for the ongoing 1 vs. 100 somewhere: Just click on it, then click "Play." There might be some kind of download when you first try it, but just wait a bit and then "Play" will appear. You'll be shuffled in from there.

I don't know how things have been lately, but the first night it went live I kept getting booted out shortly after the game started with an error message that the room was full. Just keep trying and you should eventually get in. The last game I played had around 89,000 players in it, which is pretty impressive when you think about it.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is there only a scheduled time when you can play this game?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I reach 100 k last night.

So I'm awesome at science, but have no culture at all. I work at a fucking Blockbuster but I don't watch the movies. I mean COME ON! You can't even play them. Where's the collectibles? Where's the replay value?

And apparently a lot of people don't know what Biodegradable means.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So is there only a scheduled time when you can play this game?

Yep; check the OP for a schedule link and more details. I think this week it's half-hour shows from 7:30 to 9:30 EST, with a live show on Friday night at 8 p.m. EST, but things may have changed.

Lunker on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, just reading through the thread, the AXB question had be laughing. I love stuff like that, but I hate it when it happens to me. I had a question once on one of those pub quiz screen things:

How many pumpkin seeds are there on the average burger bun?
    A: 100 B: 1000 C: 0.

I raged.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the format, and I really like the idea of winning shit, but what really irks me is the timed points thing. Even when I hit the button the instant I see the correct answer, I still invariably score like 100 or so points behind the leader.

Also, the vidjagame questions need to be attuned for the correct level of nerd-dom.
    A blood elf is a RACE, not a CLASS in WoW, 1 vs. 100 question writers.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm looking at the linked schedule. Those times are in what zone?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm looking at the linked schedule. Those times are in what zone?

I want to say Eastern, but I'm not certain.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Actually, looks like it's Pacific.

Houn on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah it's PST. Pacific Standard.

So, I don't get a lot of free time. If I don't commit myself to these extended play sessions every night, I have no shot of ever getting in the Mob? Seems kind of shitty. I know there will be hundreds of people with millions of points after a couple of weeks, and I'll be left in the dust because I have a kid to take care of.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

So, I don't get a lot of free time. If I don't commit myself to these extended play sessions every night, I have no shot of ever getting in the Mob? Seems kind of shitty. I know there will be hundreds of people with millions of points after a couple of weeks, and I'll be left in the dust because I have a kid to take care of.

Aren't these stats reset every week?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

I'm curious how they're picking people too—they've haven't revealed anything, only that playing more "increases your chances" of getting picked as The One or The Mob. It would be total ass if it was entirely score-based.

I think stats or something are confirmed to be wiped after every season, which is a stretch of X number of weeks, but I don't know how things carry over week to week.

Lunker on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

I'm curious how they're picking people too—they've haven't revealed anything, only that playing more "increases your chances" of getting picked as The One or The Mob. It would be total ass if it was entirely score-based.

I think stats or something are confirmed to be wiped after every season, which is a stretch of X number of weeks, but I don't know how things carry over week to week.

Ya, stats reset every week, and score has nothing at all to do with selection. Just accuracy, number of questions answered, and speed. At least, if you believe what they say in their FAQ.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like to go through the fine print of contests to see if there is anything screwy in it and I found something. It has to do with prize contest entries.

DON'T EXCEED 500 ENTRIES!

Why? you will get automatically disqualified for any prizes at that point. I think they are expecting people to cheat (which I believe some are) and trying to remove them from the winning prize pool.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    which sucks because I'm near 300 now.

Guess I'll have to ration out my 1 v 100ing now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait, what? So once you answer five hundred questions you just have to quit playing the beta?

Willeth on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like to go through the fine print of contests to see if there is anything screwy in it and I found something. It has to do with prize contest entries.

Why? you will get automatically disqualified for any prizes at that point. I think they are expecting people to cheat (which I believe some are) and trying to remove them from the winning prize pool.

How can you check to see how many entries you have? It seems kind of silly to disqualify people after 500 entries considering that every question answered is an entry. Are you sure it's not just that only the first 500 entries count?

Edit:

Here's what it says: "Entry Limit: Five hundred (500) entries , regardless of entry method. Entries from the same individual or e-mail or household address received in excess of the limits stated herein will be automatically disqualified."

That means that every individual entry after #500 is disqualified, not that #1-500 get disqualified after entry #501.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Press back in between questions. The little dropdown under your name will come out, press left and right, you'll see sweepstakes entries

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

How can you check to see how many entries you have? It seems kind of silly to disqualify people after 500 entries considering that every question answered is an entry. Are you sure it's not just that only the first 500 entries count?

Edit:

Here's what it says: "Entry Limit: Five hundred (500) entries , regardless of entry method. Entries from the same individual or e-mail or household address received in excess of the limits stated herein will be automatically disqualified."

That means that every individual entry after #500 is disqualified, not that #1-500 get disqualified after entry #501.

I'm still looking for full clarification but it still sounds really weird. It does still sounds like they could disqualify you technically if you exceed 500 entries. I'll have to go to their forums and look for clarification.

But thanks, I always welcome being wrong about things.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also, we need to fill their trivia database with sufficiently awesome stuff.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/1vs100/submitaquestion.htm

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it just me or is using a skip not worth it? I mean what is the most you can get from a streak? 1k? If you manage to get it right you can make so much more on knockouts. Seems like the reward outweighs the risk.

Nik Huze on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nik Huze wrote: »
    Is it just me or is using a skip not worth it? I mean what is the most you can get from a streak? 1k? If you manage to get it right you can make so much more on knockouts. Seems like the reward outweighs the risk.

If a skip means the difference between being in and out of the game when actual MS points are on the line? then no. the rewards don't outweigh the risk.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ah, ok. Did not realize you could win M$ in extended play.

Nik Huze on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Not in the beta though. Eventually though. Thats what I'm trying to say. When getting an incorrect question knocks you out of the game, skipping an answer that you don't know is a good move.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Was it me or were the questions a bit on the tough side last night?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Not in the beta though. Eventually though. Thats what I'm trying to say. When getting an incorrect question knocks you out of the game, skipping an answer that you don't know is a good move.

Getting a question wrong doesn't knock you out of the Crowd, though—it just resets your streak. And only the top three scorers in the Crowd will win prizes, and honestly, given the scores I've seen so far, if you have to skip a question anyway you're not going to be one of them.

It seems like the skip is primarily for bragging rights to get a top score if you're playing with friends in the Crowd, or if you particularly care about your stats for number of questions you get wrong.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's better to skip than to guess, though. Don't forget that those stats also affect your ability to become the One or part of the Mob.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I played a round last night; good fun.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    It's better to skip than to guess, though. Don't forget that those stats also affect your ability to become the One or part of the Mob.

Ah, that's right.

I do hope it's not really as weighted as they make it sound and the selection is still predominantly random—that's part of the appeal of being in the crowd, for me, at least.

Lunker on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The questions are a great litmus test of our population. 70k people playing, question: Who is Harry Potter's Best Friend? less than 2500 got it wrong. Next question: An animal with a backbone is classified as what? Answers were spineback, invertebrate, vertebrate. Over 40k got it wrong.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Xbox-owning population. That's a considerable skewing factor.

Willeth on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn, I got second place in the last extended play game earlier tonight. I really wasn't expecting to be able to do that.

I would have won if I hadn't choked on a couple of questions I knew the answers to and gotten them wrong.

I also got away with skipping two questions that I didn't know, although I think that wouldn't fly normally.

It was much more fun than I was expecting, though.

Norfair on
  • Options
    Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone know why I often can't hear Chris Cashman? I hear him sometimes, but most of the times I don't, it is just a big long pause that I know he is talking but don't hear it.
    Nice how 110,000 people are playing.

Vladimir7 on