As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[360] 1 vs. 100 Beta: Married to the Mob

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Does that mean that's an official launch, or just that the beta will have real prizes?

Beta will have real prizes.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome.

From GAF:
    mattoz85 wrote:
    Well, that whole "Ask the Brain" help is a fraud.

Anyone remember the question last night about the city that used to be called New Amsterdam? The One used "Ask the Brain" for that question. I was the #1 ranked player when that question was asked. I correctly answered "New York," but for some reason, the game said the brain chose "Liberty City." If I'm ever the One, I'm never using that help.

Glad to hear prizes are coming next week. I was in the top 3 for the first 2 games tonight, so I hope I can continue that when people start playing for real.

Interesting if true - and not a beta bug, or him being #1 in the crowd when it asks #1 in the Mob, or something. Also apparently the UK beta is out on Thursday, according to someone earlier in the same thread.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've seen Ask the Brain fail on a bunch of fairly easy questions.

I also want to slap anybody who uses it on the first question. Even if it wasn't buggy, who is the top player supposed to be?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, false alarm - it's the top player in the Mob and it looks like this guy was in the crowd.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Really? Because when it's selected they only say it's the top player of the round. Or did they change that?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This Primetime gaming thing game has so much potential, but if it's already being hacked, then count me out. I suppose they can probably tell who is cheating, and not ever award that person prizes or choose them as The One, but hackers always find a way, it seems.

You know, if you're going to cheat why not make it believable so you don't get caught? Like script the hack to take the best score of the round and add 10 points. You're still number one and you're not 10,000 points higher than is possible.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think cheating is an issue if they treat it like they'd treat cheating on a real game show.

I mean, if you can get a full-on XBox Live permaban for cheating in Halo, cheating in this they should easily be able to say your whole gamerscore is wiped out.

Because I think it would be a safe bet that the type of person who would cheat at this is the same type of person that actually would care about their gamerscore getting wiped out.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'd care. But that's why I don't cheat. Considering the sheer number of 'bullshit' scores that week, it really would be unlikely that a dozen people logged in all using the same hack. I mean really... A Beta that has bugs? Why that's unheard of!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/1-vs-100-to-launch-in-the-uk-this-friday

Apparently this is coming to the UK this Friday. Woot! Not sure when I'll get to play this weekend, though.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone playing tonight? Looks like they are offering prizes tonight.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh right its finally live. They are actually giving out prizes now.

I'm getting my ass handed to me right now. Wow. They really made this tough.

I still LOL at the battle creek post cereal HQ failure on that one question though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Woot, I won 800 Microsoft Points!

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    edited July 2009
    You know, it just occurred to me we're now going to see more and more cases where The One takes the points and splits. I'd guess 1000 would be the cutoff. I'm not sure how much greed will eventually factor in when the top prize is 10,000 points instead of $125 cash.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »

Do they give it to you immediately or how does claiming that work?

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »

Npt sure, still playing. Will post when I find out more. The One just went out with 82 people Mob members left, and I didn't win anything. :(

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »

Npt sure, still playing. Will post when I find out more. The One just went out with 82 people Mob members left, and I didn't win anything. :(

I'm guessing there's a limit where they don't hand out the prizes if it ends too soon or something.

twmjr on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I kept getting disconnected which was killing my streaks. Never made it to the mob though so it didn't really matter.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It said I had won 800 points, but they haven't been added to my account yet.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd check your email associated with your gamertag as well.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man I feel like I'm missing out being stuck at the inlaws sans my Xbox. I need go win some points so I can afford Shadow Complex next month. Is this a one time thing or are all the Luve games now for real.

I think I'd bail after getting halfway through. 5000 points is A hefty chunk.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was yelling at one guy to "Take the money!" and he skipped like 2000 points. The next question ended up ending his run. For people who know tons of difficult trivia, I would think they would be smarter then that.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would appear that 'trust the brain' is really worthless. It worked once out of like five times last night.

And damnit, I would like to get in the mob at least once.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Trust the Brain is a massive toss-up when you have people who are just mashing the button like crazy getting lucky. It doesn't help that people are using it right at the start, either, when the top guy isn't going to be anything special. It's completely a last resort.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Now, if they changed it to the person playing with the highest number of correct answers/percentage correct, then it might be better. Maybe.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Trust the Brain is a massive toss-up when you have people who are just mashing the button like crazy getting lucky. It doesn't help that people are using it right at the start, either, when the top guy isn't going to be anything special. It's completely a last resort.

It was just fine in the beta. But ya, each one of those is a long shot.

Also, somehow my post about Battle creek being the HQ for post cereals ended up in the DoTA thread somehow. odd.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It still is the beta.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Except the prizes are actually being awarded right now. I wouldn't consider that a beta by any means. That's a fully operational battlestation If I've ever seen one.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is the truest thing.

20090713.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ehAndyehAndy Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    I finally got into the mob on the guy who only got two questions into it. Then, even though I had gotten them right it kicked me back into the crowd. Pretty damn disappointing, but I guess that way more people get a chance to actually play.

ehAndy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Except the prizes are actually being awarded right now. I wouldn't consider that a beta by any means. That's a fully operational battlestation If I've ever seen one.

Except that there are still bugs in it and they're still testing it. That's the definition of a beta. Prizes are irrelevant.

Sure, it could end up being one of those things that's forever in beta, but I don't really see that happening.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Except that there are still bugs in it and they're still testing it. That's the definition of a beta. Prizes are irrelevant.

Sure, it could end up being one of those things that's forever in beta, but I don't really see that happening.

Well, I thought prizes ARE the point unless they are going to increase the prizes (doubtful)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the point of it is to win prizes. But there's nothing in the definition of a beta that says prizes can't be given away.

Willeth on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ooh. From Major Nelson's Twitter:
    Introduced the 1v100 guys w/ the Penny Arcade guys. Let's see if they can make it happen :)

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    Introduced the 1v100 guys w/ the Penny Arcade guys. Let's see if they can make it happen :)

Replace Jen with CTS, then have him murder the one if he gets a quesiton wrong.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    galenblade wrote: »

I would say F-yea. I wonder if they could do it as an omegathon round.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried this for the first time with my gf the other day, it was an extended play. It was surprisingly fun, we played it for a lot longer than we initially intended. Looking forward to trying the live show tonight.

As for the extended plays...Stay the hell away from the community provided question episodes. Absolutely horrible, random questions. Comically, they are filled with about 80% sports and 20% science questions, representing the two majorities of the Live population. There were far too many "what number was this obscure player whom you're never heard of"?

I really hope Microsoft locks down on any of the cheating. Luckily, it seems most of the guys with the highest scores are actually playing, they miss questions too. I still don't understand how people are getting a 0 second average response time though. Do they just not answer?

I also saw an amazingly large number of people use their skips after having missed the previous question...

Any word if that one guy who posted here and won some points actually got his points?

Endaro on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bah, played a full hour and a half, I never got picked for the mob. :(

Is it just down to luck? I had an eight-question streak going at one point.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Bah, played a full hour and a half, I never got picked for the mob. :(

Is it just down to luck? I had an eight-question streak going at one point.

I have played pretty much all of the live shows, and have never been picked for the mob.

Supposedly it has something to do with performance, but it feels like luck when big chunks of the mob get easy questions wrong.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You're not kidding. We had a question today that began 'which British theme park...' and the answers were Disneyland Paris, Universal Studios Orlando, and Chessington's. About 25 people in the Mob got it wrong.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The answer was Disneyland Paris, wasn't it?

Santa Claustrophobia on