Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Once again, it's generiface I have problems with.

Like they just took the first "GENERIC ANIME JAPANESE WOMEN" they could find in Poser and then set her hair to blonde.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Like they just took the first "GENERIC ANIME JAPANESE WOMEN" they could find in Poser and then set her hair to blonde.

It is team ninja. Hair color, costumes and boob size are the only way to differentiate their female models from one another.

I do appreciate that they made it a point to highlight the nipple action even through two shirts. They're serious in progessing their craft at least.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It is team ninja. Hair color, costumes and boob size are the only way to differentiate their female models from one another.

I do appreciate that they made it a point to highlight the nipple action even through two shirts. They're serious in progessing their craft at least.

I'm sorry, but what?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kor wrote: »

I'm sorry, but what?

Yeah, there's zero nipplage in that shot. Unless she has a nipple that resembles a staple, that's a shirt crease.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wouldn't say that's the face of a Japanese woman, she looks more like the Euro-Asia type (which, as far as I know, is the beauty ideal in many Asian countries). Maybe she was anime-ized a bit, but I'd say the only thing that really distinguishes her look from her older appearence(s) is the haircut. Also, why is this so important and why are discussing this again?

2hf18j6.jpg

Oh IGN.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't see the anime in that at all actually. Maybe just the skintone? But the proportions are nowhere near anime-style.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    its the eyes, they look very triangular

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks better in that dead-on shot, but they still could have done a better job.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    b4djwx.png

Looks like Team Ninja all right.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think it's the fact that she literally has no distinguishing characteristics. Like the program that took hundreds of mugshots and blended them together to form the "perfect" attractive person. A lack of flaws is generally perceived as the presence of beauty. However, what we consider a flaw is what deviates from the average.

Edit: See also Rinoa.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    From my vantage point she has two distinguishing features. :winky::winky:
    Chozodian DNA and her Power Suit.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm sorry, but what?

Yeah, there's zero nipplage in that shot. Unless she has a nipple that resembles a staple, that's a shirt crease.

The best part is that I got you all to look.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, I always figured Samus would be a sort of hulking woman. I mean she looks like she's over six feet tall and must have megabroad shoulders to get these proportions:
    Metroidprime3_1.png
    Somehow these pictures of her make her look really...diminutive.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    proportions aren't exactly a strong suit of Smash Bros. but she's pretty big in that.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm sorry, but what?

The best part is that I got you all to look.

"Ha ha, guys, I wasn't serious, I was just trying to trick you!"

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think it's the fact that she literally has no distinguishing characteristics. Like the program that took hundreds of mugshots and blended them together to form the "perfect" attractive person. A lack of flaws is generally perceived as the presence of beauty. However, what we consider a flaw is what deviates from the average.

Edit: See also Rinoa.

Who is actually a porcelain doll.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, I always figured Samus would be a sort of hulking woman. I mean she looks like she's over six feet tall and must have megabroad shoulders to get these proportions:
    Metroidprime3_1.png
    Somehow these pictures of her make her look really...diminutive.

Well, compare that to the power suit,
    Power_Suit_concept_art.jpg
    Her shoulders are much smaller there, which has always made me think the those are cooling units or something, to allow the suit to work in extreme temperatures

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Her in-suit proportions are fairly normal actually. Here's official Super Metroid art:

smartsam03.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You can tell it's official artwork because she's dressed in this one.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man that is such kludge. Are we really supposed to believe the suit was designed with paper-thin armor under her arms, and 8 inches of metal on the outside?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, sci fi and all.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd always thought that the suit's "metal" was actually fairly thin, just using energy to keep it held together, protecting her from harm.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    God damn the influence of the 80/90s shoulder pad craze.

On another note, I've always preferred the distinctly non-canon proportions of this type:
    http://sundragon83.deviantart.com/art/SAMUS-ARAN-101529166
    http://torokun.deviantart.com/art/Samus-Aran-Open-Hatch-30510101

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure her profile in SSBB says she's 6'1".

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Her in-suit proportions are fairly normal actually. Here's official Super Metroid art:

*snip*

I dearly love that bit of art.

I wish I still had the strategy guide; it was laid out so perfectly.
    Why, yes, I did need the guide to get the last 2 missiles. One in the Heart Chakra ("Mickey-Mouse Room" in Ridley's Lair), and one right before the Speed Booster room.

Tamin on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never tried to rationalize her suit, what it's made of, etc. Honestly, "A scientist did it" is enough for me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've never tried to rationalize her suit, what it's made of, etc. Honestly, "A scientist did it" is enough for me.

Dude it's space magic.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure her profile in SSBB says she's 6'1".

She was a model before she became a bounty hunter.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Dude it's space magic.

Yeah, basically. Ancient Chozo technology and all that.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Then your brain will melt trying to justify her ball form.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

She did yoga during her youth.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Something I never understood - how comes the Chozo made a suit that perfectly fits a human, while the Chozo themselves are what, 3 times her size?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Because she was raised by the Chozo, thus the suit was basically fit to her specifications, not theirs, as she was meant to be the savior of their race.

Yea, that didn't work out so well. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Because she was raised by the Chozo, thus the suit was basically fit to her specifications, not theirs, as she was meant to be the savior of their race.

Yea, that didn't work out so well. :P

She saved the ones that transcended to godhood from Phazon.

That should count

Man that is such kludge. Are we really supposed to believe the suit was designed with paper-thin armor under her arms, and 8 inches of metal on the outside?

Ever read the entry about the Space Pirates that tried to understand the Morph ball? Even in universe the power suit doesn't make sense

King Riptor on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I always liked the idea that the armor fit like this:

Samus_Aran_Open_Hatch_by_torokun.jpg?t=1267227351

ya know, doesn't fit exactly proportion wise but still kinda makes sense.

also, isn't this outcry against the anime influenced art direction kind of narrow minded? It's fine to dislike anime and anime influenced art but to say that it's universally a bad thing seems to be a bit in poor taste, especially considering we're talking about a character made by a japanese company and a game made by a japanese developer. Do you guys thing people in japan complained that Mass Effect looked too photorealistic? :P

Guek on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And in the case of the pirates their bones snapped and crunched trying to justify it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    I always liked the idea that the armor fit like this:

Samus_Aran_Open_Hatch_by_torokun.jpg?t=1267227351

ya know, doesn't fit exactly proportion wise but still kinda makes sense.

also, isn't this outcry against the anime influenced art direction kind of narrow minded? It's fine to dislike anime and anime influenced art but to say that it's universally a bad thing seems to be a bit in poor taste, especially considering we're talking about a character made by a japanese company and a game made by a japanese developer. Do you guys thing people in japan complained that Mass Effect looked too photorealistic? :P

This is one of the pieces I linked earlier, probably one of my favorite. And I don't think anyone here is saying that anime style is universally bad. For what it's worth, I didn't play Mass Effect because it looks too realistic - boring, even.

I think our main contention is that Metroid has long been the child of the West. Metroid games haven't done particularly well in Japan historically, and when a US developer like Retro was given the license, they did some amazing things with it that revitalized the property. Now it seems like Nintendo is realizing people like it, and "taking it back home", resulting in a ton of design and stylistic choices that... well... I don't want to use the term "slap in the face" because it sounds like I feel entitled. Just consider me a fan who feels like Nintendo would rather expand their sales base than reward the faithful. It's their prerogative to do so, and it certainly makes sense, but I don't have to like it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Samus being dressed makes it questionable.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah it's not like Samus has ever been treated like a sexual object. I mean you know what would be really crazy? If they took off more of her clothes the better you played the game. Oh wait.

I don't get all the half baked feminism that happens here, ever.

We are a generation raised to understand equal rights and minorities. Only someone fucked up and taught us that woman and minorities should be treated better than you and not actually equal.

Actually, loads of feminists love boobs.
    First one to make a lesbian-themed retort gets punched in the throat.

I hear many feminists have their own set.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Samus being dressed makes it questionable.

Indeed.

Samus is something Nintendo has always needed. Sex appeal. I have no problem with acknowledging she's a hot blond if it doesn't detract from the game or her backstory.

Edit - to clarify Sex appeal in addition to a great game is very welcome. Sex appeal by itself is not

King Riptor on