Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Who wants some stealth footage of the opening cinematic? Get it before it gets yanked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFmzH52YrCk

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    purty

edit: Is it me or does she look different than in the released shots? Visible mole for one thing.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Variations on a meme.
    geemers.png

JJ on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Who wants some stealth footage of the opening cinematic? Get it before it gets yanked.

damn that looks awesome

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So at what point did Samus become blond? And more to the point, why? I can't be the only one who prefers brunettes.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, chicks with black hair get no respect.

Everyone's all "Blondes! Brunettes! Redheads!"

Nobody speaks for those raven-haired pretties.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay, I admit to not being overly enthused with this game.

But then they had to cheat and remake scenes from Super Metroid and I'm like fuuu---

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Remember: there might be
    more than one Samus, hence the mole. Also fits with the dreams. Or you know, they just felt like it.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    So at what point did Samus become blond? And more to the point, why? I can't be the only one who prefers brunettes.

I prefer brunettes too. I think she's been blonde since Super Metroid (it was more of a "dirty blonde" hair color, sorta brunette, but still). I don't take issue with it.

I can't say I like how cartoony-big Mother Brain's eye is in that video leak. And I can't say it because I don't like it. i think there were other ways to get across that eye in a CGI format.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cartoony? Looks fucking disturbing and creepy to me.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    uh

have you seen mother brain in super metroid?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm. I wish I could say the video moved my internal hype meter. I'm not sure if saying it moved backwards is being overly dramatic or not, but the video managed to portray a scene which occasionally still makes me feel something in my throat and robs it of any emotion.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    uh

have you seen mother brain in super metroid?

Yeah!

motherbrainseye.jpg

I have!

And compared to this:
    2v8pe2s.jpg

HAI GUYS!

Super Metroid had a more "conservative" (so to speak, this is sci-fi fiction afterall) approach to "Hey, let's give this thing a GIANT FUCKING EYEBALL.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the face model in that intro is much better.

Wonder if this is another SSB Melee situation where CGI was done by like 3 different companies?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another thing is that in the CGI intro, the eye looks like a "Hey, let's be pals!" or misunderstood expression, not evil alien interloper eye. It just looks bad. Add a scowl or something to that shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Another thing is that in the CGI intro, the eye looks like a "Hey, let's be pals!" or misunderstood expression, not evil alien interloper eye. It just looks bad. Add a scowl or something to that shit.

A scowl to an eye?

How about I look down an inch to the giant menacing mouth full of razor sharp teeth?

Anyway, this is ridiculous. A finished cut scene to a character that is shown and then ended all within it.

JJ on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mother Brain has never been more terrifying than in Metroid. I mean, look at this:
    http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/File:M1art_np5.jpg

Delzhand on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Are we sure that that's not just a red rhino, that decided to jump in a vat of goo?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mts wrote: »
    toxk_02 wrote: »

damn that looks awesome

But damn, that was some shit voice acting.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wouldn't call it shit but yeah it was pretty wooden.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That was pretty terrible. It sounded like she was just reading the lines aloud instead of acting.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope they didn't release that because all the voice work was placeholder.
    Though I wouldn't mind the return of Dan Olsen.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's a Team Ninja game so I'm not exactly expecting classically trained actors

But it would be nice if it didn't out and out suck too

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not impressed with the voice acting, but I care more about how the game plays. If a game is fun I can forgive terrible voice acting. I know other people will feel differently though. edit: I mean I know that some people will care more about the quality of the voice acting, not that they were somehow terrible people for having a different opinion with me. I don't really have any strong feelings on the subject.

I do kind of wish that Nintendo had kept with the minimalist approach they use for Mario and Zelda, but Corruption already had a lot of voice work (which I also thought was terrible, but eh), so it's kind of too late to go back to a simpler approach now anyway. Voice acting is probably here to stay with the franchise.

Norfair on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nintendo doesn't do voice acting with their games, people complain.

Nintendo does voice acting with their games, people complain.

They can't win. Although, yeah, I do prefer stark minimalism with Metroid. But whaddya gonna do, really?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

They can't win. Although, yeah, I do prefer stark minimalism with Metroid. But whaddya gonna do, really?

More like:

Nintendo does terrible voice acting with their games, people complain.

If you're going to do something, do it right.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think people are overstating how horrid the VA in Other M is, but point taken.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

More like:

Do it right, get Nolan North to voice Samus.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dude could do it

He's got range

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Dude could do it

He's got range

"Mr. North, you don't have to wear the Zero Suit."
    "But you have to capture my motion!"

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Unless a game is set in America or has American characters I prefer if the accents employed are not those of Americans. I know most of you don't give a shit about this as I think I already said something similar earlier in the thread (though that was many months ago). Still, in my opinion, it kind of ruins it for me. Even if the va was "good" I'd prefer it wasn't there. Alien language with subs would be awesome, however. Like that bit in Prime 3 where you go through a portal and then you hear this incomprehensible voice. And then it kinda just stops and they never really elaborate on it, oh well.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, with this new trend of having an ongoing plot and multiple characters in the Metroid games, I don't see a problem with it, just a natural progression of the series.

edit: On the language, I'd assume that Gal-Fed has setup some kind of a standard language system for everyone, which happens to be English, with American accents, you know, like Star Wars.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Mother Brain has never been more terrifying than in Metroid. I mean, look at this:
    http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/File:M1art_np5.jpg

Motherfuckin' TUSKS.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I always thought Mother Brain looked stupid in Super Metroid.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Unless a game is set in America or has American characters I prefer if the accents employed are not those of Americans. I know most of you don't give a shit about this as I think I already said something similar earlier in the thread (though that was many months ago). Still, in my opinion, it kind of ruins it for me. Even if the va was "good" I'd prefer it wasn't there. Alien language with subs would be awesome, however. Like that bit in Prime 3 where you go through a portal and then you hear this incomprehensible voice. And then it kinda just stops and they never really elaborate on it, oh well.

Actually, that was just the Aurora unit trying to reach you but getting bad reception.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That's just such an implausible idea, because well the majority of Voice Actors are American and Canadian, and to be frank the biggest market is America. It's just somewhat logistically unlikely, it would probably cost too much, or possibly just sound terrible to have different accents.

So, that's just likely what the "standard" is, and if the humans in the game are based on Earth, it's not a stretch to think that a Galactic Human Society wouldn't use American-English as a standard language, it's already the language of international business and the majority of native English speakers are American at this point.

Plus, from the sounds of it a lot of these human characters would be of American decent, I believe the humans in Metroid are Earth-based, IIRC. Adam Malkovich, Anthony Higgs or whatever, etc. Samus having a funky accent would be reasonable considering she's probably not from American decent.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010

More like:

To be fair, they hired the best cast for Tales of Symphonia.

Then Namco had to go be cheap and not pay for them to voice Symphonia 2.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    Dude could do it

He's got range

Is it wrong that I saw this post before the Nolan North one and assumed you meant Peter?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Dude could do it

He's got range

Is it wrong that I saw this post before the Nolan North one and assumed you meant Peter?

Why did you make me google that!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't get the complaints about the voice acting. I think it sounds fine.

Peewi on