As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ghostbusters is 25! Game's out!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I've found all the artifacts so far except for one. When you first enter the office building I noticed some blue spikes on the PKE meter but the cutscene started before I could find the item itself.

You can replay sections of the game, though, right?

Moriveth on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    isn't it? and yes you can.

Melding on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also I think I missed an achievement at the hotel, something about 'making the bar mitzvah especially kosher'

but whatever

the game is great

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    There's a ham on the table you have to destroy or something.

Melding on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't get any of those level specific bonus achievements. Not even the flying coffins one

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    I didn't get any of those level specific bonus achievements. Not even the flying coffins one

Shoot one of the coffins in mid air duh.

DarkPrimus on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    the library one was weird

I kind of got it on accident

which is impressive because I was trying to get it at the time

but I don't know how I got it

DJ Eebs on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Also I think I missed an achievement at the hotel, something about 'making the bar mitzvah especially kosher'

but whatever

the game is great

from the other thread
    Cobell wrote: »
    A Jewish magazine's take on the Ballroom encounter with Slimer in Ghostbusters: The Video Game:

Link at:
    http://www.tabletmag.com/life-and-religion/haunted-ham/

text copy/pasted:
    It was going to be a Shabbat to remember. After a long week of work at Tablet Magazine, I was looking forward to leaving the Jews behind and focusing instead on the ghosts. I left the office Friday afternoon, dashed over to my favorite video game store, and bought a copy of “Ghostbusters: The Video Game,” the newly released title that’s currently the hottest property for joystick jockeys everywhere.

My hands quivered as I inserted the disc into my gaming console. I revere Ghost Busters, the 1984 Ivan Reitman comedy, the way some men worship sports teams, rock bands, or organized religions. I quote it often. I think about it frequently. I sometimes pass by 14 N. Moore Street in Manhattan just to look at the firehouse that served as Ghostbusters HQ in the film. A chance to play as a new Ghostbusters’ recruit, to slap on a proton pack and blast some ghouls, felt less like a game and more like a childhood dream come true.

After completing a short training session, I found myself joining Dr. Peter Venkman (voiced in the game, as in the original film, by the peerless Bill Murray) in the lobby of the Sedgwick Hotel. Slimer, the green and gluttonous ghost, had escaped from captivity, and found his way back to his old haunt, seeking refreshments in the hotel’s luxurious ballroom. But the hotel’s manager, a pixelated persnickety dude, told Venkman and me that the ballroom was off limits. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah was about to begin, and, ghost or no ghost, the hotel couldn’t risk alienating its customers.

As Venkman snuck us in through the kitchen, blasting everything in sight with his proton beam, my mind wandered. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah? Sure, I thought, there were probably Jews named Rodriguez, but why choose such an atypical name in a medium not usually given to nuance? Finally finding my way into the hall, I realized that their last name wasn’t the only thing that made the Rodriguez’s simcha unusual: there on the buffet table, right next to the wine bottles and the silver candlesticks, were a few huge chunks of honey-glazed ham.

I froze in my tracks. It was time, I realized, to make a major decision about my identity. Was I a Jew first and a Ghostbuster second? Or was it the other way around? Do I catch the ghost? Or do I take care of the treyf? My heart beat fast. Then, suddenly, I knew just what I needed to do.

Ignoring Venkman’s repeated pleas to help him with the manic Slimer, I walked decisively over to the buffet. I took my time, making sure my aim was just right. Then, I pressed the button, and blasted the offensive ham into smithereens. I stopped and smiled. But what happened next left me astonished: a bright-colored tag popped up on the upper left-hand corner of the screen. I had accomplished, the game informed me, one of its many hidden mini-missions, little puzzles meant to keep gamers on their toes and help them score more points. “Achievement unlocked,” read the tag, followed by one more unexpected word: “Kosher!”

So the mission, I thought with amazement, wasn’t just about capturing the fugitive apparition. It was also about making sure the Rodriguezs enjoy a halachically proper party.

I refocused my beam on Slimer with renewed zeal. My heart was at ease. In this strange and wonderful game, I realized, busting ghosts and blasting pork were just two sides of the same coin. I was a Jew and a Ghostbuster, just like I always wanted to be.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    disco pants

disco pants that follow you around the firehouse

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    Where do you find these disco pants?

Who is up for online in a while?

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    I would be but I need to do some cleaning. Perhaps tonight (if I'm not too tired), though.

Also I will probably try to get the level-specific acheivements, especially if I beat the game in a couple days. I've got it for five days, after all, might as well make the most of it.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    Cool, let me know if you do. Can see if we can rustle us up a posse for some ghost busting.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    Also damn, I'm guessing for the "Ghostbusters Drinking Game" achievement you have to drink at every water fountain in the game.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    disco pants

disco pants that follow you around the firehouse

floating ghost beard that watches you in the bathroom

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

but whatever

the game is great

from the other thread
    Cobell wrote: »
    A Jewish magazine's take on the Ballroom encounter with Slimer in Ghostbusters: The Video Game:

Link at:
    http://www.tabletmag.com/life-and-religion/haunted-ham/

text copy/pasted:
    It was going to be a Shabbat to remember. After a long week of work at Tablet Magazine, I was looking forward to leaving the Jews behind and focusing instead on the ghosts. I left the office Friday afternoon, dashed over to my favorite video game store, and bought a copy of “Ghostbusters: The Video Game,” the newly released title that’s currently the hottest property for joystick jockeys everywhere.

My hands quivered as I inserted the disc into my gaming console. I revere Ghost Busters, the 1984 Ivan Reitman comedy, the way some men worship sports teams, rock bands, or organized religions. I quote it often. I think about it frequently. I sometimes pass by 14 N. Moore Street in Manhattan just to look at the firehouse that served as Ghostbusters HQ in the film. A chance to play as a new Ghostbusters’ recruit, to slap on a proton pack and blast some ghouls, felt less like a game and more like a childhood dream come true.

After completing a short training session, I found myself joining Dr. Peter Venkman (voiced in the game, as in the original film, by the peerless Bill Murray) in the lobby of the Sedgwick Hotel. Slimer, the green and gluttonous ghost, had escaped from captivity, and found his way back to his old haunt, seeking refreshments in the hotel’s luxurious ballroom. But the hotel’s manager, a pixelated persnickety dude, told Venkman and me that the ballroom was off limits. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah was about to begin, and, ghost or no ghost, the hotel couldn’t risk alienating its customers.

As Venkman snuck us in through the kitchen, blasting everything in sight with his proton beam, my mind wandered. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah? Sure, I thought, there were probably Jews named Rodriguez, but why choose such an atypical name in a medium not usually given to nuance? Finally finding my way into the hall, I realized that their last name wasn’t the only thing that made the Rodriguez’s simcha unusual: there on the buffet table, right next to the wine bottles and the silver candlesticks, were a few huge chunks of honey-glazed ham.

I froze in my tracks. It was time, I realized, to make a major decision about my identity. Was I a Jew first and a Ghostbuster second? Or was it the other way around? Do I catch the ghost? Or do I take care of the treyf? My heart beat fast. Then, suddenly, I knew just what I needed to do.

Ignoring Venkman’s repeated pleas to help him with the manic Slimer, I walked decisively over to the buffet. I took my time, making sure my aim was just right. Then, I pressed the button, and blasted the offensive ham into smithereens. I stopped and smiled. But what happened next left me astonished: a bright-colored tag popped up on the upper left-hand corner of the screen. I had accomplished, the game informed me, one of its many hidden mini-missions, little puzzles meant to keep gamers on their toes and help them score more points. “Achievement unlocked,” read the tag, followed by one more unexpected word: “Kosher!”

So the mission, I thought with amazement, wasn’t just about capturing the fugitive apparition. It was also about making sure the Rodriguezs enjoy a halachically proper party.

I refocused my beam on Slimer with renewed zeal. My heart was at ease. In this strange and wonderful game, I realized, busting ghosts and blasting pork were just two sides of the same coin. I was a Jew and a Ghostbuster, just like I always wanted to be.

this is fucking wonderful, by the way

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »

Shoot one of the coffins in mid air duh.

Damnitt I know that. I just didn't do it

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    Where do you find these disco pants?

Who is up for online in a while?

In Return to Sedgewick Hotel, follow a hallway to the left I believe, from the entrance hall.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    Hmm live won't even let me get in a quick match right now. But I can play other games no problem. Damn this situation to hell

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm turning on the "ghost signal" in a call for fellow busters.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
    edited June 2009
    never mind I got in a game

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The one in the architect office is fun. Once you get off the elevator, just trash everything. If you destroy every piece of the environment possible you get an achievement. Luckily, the Boson Dart is awesome for this.

Hunter on
    edited June 2009
    What's that? Zephos is calling!? I'm on my way!

Melding on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    my loins quiver in anticipation melding.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
    edited June 2009
    anyone else interested? we got room for 2 more. One more.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    I would be but I have to leave in ten minutes. Maybe after I get back.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I am back

if anyone wants to bust some ghosts with me, send me an invite

my XBL name is, amazingly enough, Moriveth

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    Alright, but only because you asked nicely.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    That was fun, dudes! I'd definitely be down for more bustin' tomorrow night.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    where is the fun in busting together? it's the same maps as random right? you guys just make it sound like i'm missing something

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited June 2009
    pikapuff you are literally too stupid to mock

this post was rude

I apologize

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2009
    busting ghosts is awesome, and see, i told you you would get better. One day you'll be rolling in the big money like the rest of us.

And yeah, same maps as random, it's just good with good people.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    I may be down to play more in a half-hour or so? I'm not sure, though, I may just concentrate on single-player.

And I dunno, it's just fun. Four dudes hanging out shooting ghosts with lasers. That's awesome.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    ok making sure I wasn't missing out on some co-op campaign or something

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited June 2009
    Let me know if you want to play again. I think King Mole is out for the night, and Zephos might come back maybe. I'm sure we could rustle up some more people.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    I never said that.

I said in the meantime I will be playing other games that are not Ghostbusters.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    busting ghosts is awesome, and see, i told you you would get better. One day you'll be rolling in the big money like the rest of us.

I think I improved a lot once I realized I was using the wrong button to tether ghosts.

Also I only have the game till Friday, so I'm hoping to get a decent chunk of the multiplayer achievements before returning it. I shall see, though.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    you said "I won't be playing this" so i assumed.

Mori: probably pick it up once it gets cheap if you don't. Should probably get cheap soon, sounds like a lot of people are trading it in.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, this is a really solid game so I think I'll end up buying it.

Also I'm gonna do some more single-player, woo.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    I was just sent home from work because my aisle was shut down for cleaning. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to the bottom of my internet mystery

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    have you tried punching it?

Melding on