As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters - Out NOW! - Bustin' makes us feel good.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hevach wrote: »
    We didn't see any stages use this tech, it seems.

Edit: And he mentions the Thanksgiving Day parade stage at the end of the clip.

Curiouser and Curiouser.

I don't think we ever really saw people at the scene of action. There were a few people running around at the museum, but certainly not a crowd, and they mostly took off in a hurry if they weren't possessed (by the end of the fight there didn't seem to be anybody left except Peck, and they seemed to just take turns possessing him while I slimed the ever loving Jesus out of him). The street was empty and full of abandoned cars during the Staypuft level - I'd just assumed the police had already evacuated the area, since Winston's dialog made it sound like Staypuft had been wrecking the city for quite a while while I was too busy lowering property values to look out the window. Still, that does make me wonder. Between that crowd stuff and the parade level, I wonder how much ended up dropped from the game and why?

Pretty big crowds (off in the distance) at the beginning of the Library level...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    We didn't see any stages use this tech, it seems.

Edit: And he mentions the Thanksgiving Day parade stage at the end of the clip.

Curiouser and Curiouser.

I don't think we ever really saw people at the scene of action. There were a few people running around at the museum, but certainly not a crowd, and they mostly took off in a hurry if they weren't possessed (by the end of the fight there didn't seem to be anybody left except Peck, and they seemed to just take turns possessing him while I slimed the ever loving Jesus out of him). The street was empty and full of abandoned cars during the Staypuft level - I'd just assumed the police had already evacuated the area, since Winston's dialog made it sound like Staypuft had been wrecking the city for quite a while while I was too busy lowering property values to look out the window. Still, that does make me wonder. Between that crowd stuff and the parade level, I wonder how much ended up dropped from the game and why?

Pretty big crowds (off in the distance) at the beginning of the Library level...

Venkman would have loved this

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "There's always room for Jello"

Also meaning DLC could add a new level or something

Hawk on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Concerning the...
    Parade level that may or may not have been cut.

In the video folder in your install dir on the PC there are CS_PAR_06.ogv and CS_PAR_07.ogv (which can be opened with VLC)... I don't remember seeing these played during the game... of course I was pretty drunk when I played it.
    Nah, they weren't in the game. They just reused the dialogue from those scenes somewhere else.

Also while going through the video folder, I noticed that there was supposed to be a much nicer loading screen which had video showing off the equipment and the main theme playing. Is that the one the consoles have?

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, can someone tell me WHY I'm grinding on Live? Do these mythical "ranks" DO anything?

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sollah wrote: »
    Concerning the...
    Parade level that may or may not have been cut.

In the video folder in your install dir on the PC there are CS_PAR_06.ogv and CS_PAR_07.ogv (which can be opened with VLC)... I don't remember seeing these played during the game... of course I was pretty drunk when I played it.
    Nah, they weren't in the game. They just reused the dialogue from those scenes somewhere else.

Also while going through the video folder, I noticed that there was supposed to be a much nicer loading screen which had video showing off the equipment and the main theme playing. Is that the one the consoles have?

Yeah, the consoles have that screen

MastaP on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MastaP wrote: »
    So, can someone tell me WHY I'm grinding on Live? Do these mythical "ranks" DO anything?

Gives you ghostbustin senority.

I don't know about you. But I enjoy status symbols which show my superiority as a ghostfighter.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I don't know about you. But I enjoy status symbols which show my superiority as a ghostfighter.

Does it transfer to single player?

MastaP on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

No.

Why would you want to be showing your bustin status to A.I's who do not have eyes to appreciate?

You get super rad uniforms the more you rank up. They are based off of the cartoon/action figures. If that's not enough reason for you then I have to question your motives for purchasing the Ghostbuster game.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No.

Why would you want to be showing your bustin status to A.I's who do not have eyes to appreciate?

You get super rad uniforms the more you rank up. They are based off of the cartoon/action figures. If that's not enough reason for you then I have to question your motives for purchasing the Ghostbuster game.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, so in multiplayer, it seems voices start showing up to the later ranks??

I was in many a matches last night and my character doesn't talk, but the higher ranking characters say things like "Throw a trap" or "Over there". Or is there a button I press?

Hawk on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i remember hearing talking the first time I played. But that may be because a higher ranked person was in gave with me?

Also, I mostly hear "Sorry, Egon" when playing nowadays.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha yeah, some of them are off. One game we were Egon, Ray, Rookie, and Winston. Yet Egon kept yelling "Sorry Venkman".

But still I'm just wondering if it's a rank thing...

Hawk on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hm yeah, maybe it was sorry venkman over and over and over again. then again, I kept shooting everyone

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe he was sorry he wasn't there haha.

Hawk on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    Maybe he was sorry he wasn't there haha.

Everyone knows the real reason was because he was terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Lynx on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A Jewish magazine's take on the Ballroom encounter with Slimer in Ghostbusters: The Video Game:

Link at:
    http://www.tabletmag.com/life-and-religion/haunted-ham/

text copy/pasted:
    It was going to be a Shabbat to remember. After a long week of work at Tablet Magazine, I was looking forward to leaving the Jews behind and focusing instead on the ghosts. I left the office Friday afternoon, dashed over to my favorite video game store, and bought a copy of “Ghostbusters: The Video Game,” the newly released title that’s currently the hottest property for joystick jockeys everywhere.

My hands quivered as I inserted the disc into my gaming console. I revere Ghost Busters, the 1984 Ivan Reitman comedy, the way some men worship sports teams, rock bands, or organized religions. I quote it often. I think about it frequently. I sometimes pass by 14 N. Moore Street in Manhattan just to look at the firehouse that served as Ghostbusters HQ in the film. A chance to play as a new Ghostbusters’ recruit, to slap on a proton pack and blast some ghouls, felt less like a game and more like a childhood dream come true.

After completing a short training session, I found myself joining Dr. Peter Venkman (voiced in the game, as in the original film, by the peerless Bill Murray) in the lobby of the Sedgwick Hotel. Slimer, the green and gluttonous ghost, had escaped from captivity, and found his way back to his old haunt, seeking refreshments in the hotel’s luxurious ballroom. But the hotel’s manager, a pixelated persnickety dude, told Venkman and me that the ballroom was off limits. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah was about to begin, and, ghost or no ghost, the hotel couldn’t risk alienating its customers.

As Venkman snuck us in through the kitchen, blasting everything in sight with his proton beam, my mind wandered. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah? Sure, I thought, there were probably Jews named Rodriguez, but why choose such an atypical name in a medium not usually given to nuance? Finally finding my way into the hall, I realized that their last name wasn’t the only thing that made the Rodriguez’s simcha unusual: there on the buffet table, right next to the wine bottles and the silver candlesticks, were a few huge chunks of honey-glazed ham.

I froze in my tracks. It was time, I realized, to make a major decision about my identity. Was I a Jew first and a Ghostbuster second? Or was it the other way around? Do I catch the ghost? Or do I take care of the treyf? My heart beat fast. Then, suddenly, I knew just what I needed to do.

Ignoring Venkman’s repeated pleas to help him with the manic Slimer, I walked decisively over to the buffet. I took my time, making sure my aim was just right. Then, I pressed the button, and blasted the offensive ham into smithereens. I stopped and smiled. But what happened next left me astonished: a bright-colored tag popped up on the upper left-hand corner of the screen. I had accomplished, the game informed me, one of its many hidden mini-missions, little puzzles meant to keep gamers on their toes and help them score more points. “Achievement unlocked,” read the tag, followed by one more unexpected word: “Kosher!”

So the mission, I thought with amazement, wasn’t just about capturing the fugitive apparition. It was also about making sure the Rodriguezs enjoy a halachically proper party.

I refocused my beam on Slimer with renewed zeal. My heart was at ease. In this strange and wonderful game, I realized, busting ghosts and blasting pork were just two sides of the same coin. I was a Jew and a Ghostbuster, just like I always wanted to be.

Cobell on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thats fucking awesome. i didnt even notice the pork but im a filthy goy

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Question:

I'm in the first level, against the bellhops. The other ghostbusters can't spend more than 5 seconds not being in the damn floor crying for help. Should I tone the difficulty level down or what? Does it get worse later on? It's extremely annoying that I spend 80% of the time running around picking them up.

I'm on the "experienced" or whatever the middle level is.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Question:

I'm in the first level, against the bellhops. The other ghostbusters can't spend more than 5 seconds not being in the damn floor crying for help. Should I tone the difficulty level down or what? Does it get worse later on? It's extremely annoying that I spend 80% of the time running around picking them up.

It gets a lot worse. You're going to be cursing the boss in the third level.

I'm halfway through Professional myself (Second time through) and I'm just used to it by now. If it's annoying you that much, you should restart on Casual.

Lynx on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stick with it. I found it got better as you upgraded your weapons.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is the PC version though, I tried the X360 version and that first level was a breeze, something's not right here.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah on the 360 my fellow busters AI was pertty top notch. ive never really seen them using the wrong weapon on a ghost unless i hadnt scanned that particular variety, and anytime i was unconscious they would come help me first before the others

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mine get hit once or twice and fall to the floor. Pretty much all at the same time. I rescue one and 5 or 8 seconds later he's on the ground again.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Lynx wrote: »
    Question:

It gets a lot worse. You're going to be cursing the boss in the third level.

I'm halfway through Professional myself (Second time through) and I'm just used to it by now. If it's annoying you that much, you should restart on Casual.

Yeah, I found with my pro-run, the difficulty plateaued around the third level, and once I knew what the game expected of me, and how it wanted me to play, things went much, much smoother.
    Until those mother-dicking stone cherubs!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is the PC version though, I tried the X360 version and that first level was a breeze, something's not right here.

Supposedly, the PC version has anti-piracy protection that makes the game incredibly hard no matter which difficulty level you choose.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There were a few fights in the game where it seemed like my partners would drop like flies and I remember the bellhop fight being one of them. I don't remember that happening throughout the entire game, however.

The health system is really confusing at times. There were a few times where I went down and my screen wasn't close to being blurry, and other times where it felt like my health took twice as long to regenerate then it should have. I'm glad the revive system is in place, though, else the game would have been a lot more frustrating.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »

Supposedly, the PC version has anti-piracy protection that makes the game incredibly hard no matter which difficulty level you choose.

That would be awesome.

Edit: I just found some info on that, it says enemies are completely invulnerable, mine aren't. It's just that my teammates die easily.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That would be awesome.

Reminds me of how the Darwinia guys put out a warez version of their game before release, but it turned out to actually be a demo and after the second level it'd totally call you out for trying to pirate it and tell you to go buy the game if you enjoyed it enough to continue.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My install did go crazy though, and my loading times are incredibly slow. Everytime I try to access the game's folder, my computer hangs for a few seconds. Something's definitely not right here...

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That would be awesome.

Reminds me of how the Darwinia guys put out a warez version of their game before release, but it turned out to actually be a demo and after the second level it'd totally call you out for trying to pirate it and tell you to go buy the game if you enjoyed it enough to continue.

They did? That's pretty clever. A forced demo.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What would have been awesome is if you're playing a pirated copy after the first level the Ghostbusters just tell you it's not going to work out and fire you. Then the game just ends.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What would have been awesome is if you're playing a pirated copy after the first level the Ghostbusters just tell you it's not going to work out and fire you. Then the game just ends.

No, you get to play through the whole game, but with the voices done by 4kids voice actors instead.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I booted the game up again, and besides the loading to be a lot shorter, my teammates survived the fight easily this time around. All I did was uninstall other games from my PC?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Odd, I have the PC version as well...and I don't think any of my teammates got knocked down on the level you mention.

I DID have issues installing the game though (it installed some files in the directory I told it to, and installed the rest in the default directory in C:\programfiles\etcetc).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hardly had any problems with teammates getting knocked over. At least not to levels of frustration.

With the exception of:
    Cherubs and the possessed mayor, before he turns into a god.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The problem went away, I'm up to my first encounter with Mr.Staypuft. Glad things worked out, I was starting to get somewhat disappointed, since my friend that has it on his X360 said he didn't like it much.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Too hot to handle, too cold to hold.

Hawk on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Has anyone else had freakishly long load times after finishing the Time Square encounter?

I have no idea why, but basically it's been stuck on loading, with the words 'Loading' gently glowing in the corner, for almost ten minutes.

I guess I should clear the cache and hope for the best. Rather strange, given that I did not have this problem first time around.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I noticed something last night as my girlfriend and I were watching Ghostbusters 2. So as everyone pretty much knows, Brian Doyle-Murray plays the mayor in Ghostbusters the video game. I had totally forgot that he's in Ghostbusters 2 as the psychiatrist in the mental hospital that the mayor's aid commits them to. I guess the continuity break isn't a big deal, and not really a retcon, as the character is pretty insignificant in the film.

Oh and for the love of god why did they have to make Slimer look like shit in the film? He looked 1000x better in the first movie, in fact most of the special effects looked better from the first movie. I still like GB2 for what it is, but you would have thought for the follow-up they would have had better special effects (not including the very small amound of CG it had).

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch