As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't he the go-to animal guy?

My favorite piece from a commentary is when they talk about Billy West fucking with the Engineers by making it sound like their equipment was broken.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You're thinking of Frank Welker, who did the voice of Nibbler. On one commentary they asked him to do the voice of a man-eating anteater, and he just instantly came up with the sound that's on the episode.

Then again, he seems to be working less and less... the guy's been doing voices since the 70s or so, he must be getting old.

And I'll see you Maurice's Egon Spangler and raise you his Brain (from Pinky and the).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whoops, my bad.

edit: Bwahahaha, Phil LaMarr is the token black voice artist, playing every black cartoon character you might be able to think of.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You're thinking of Frank Welker, who did the voice of Nibbler. On one commentary they asked him to do the voice of a man-eating anteater, and he just instantly came up with the sound that's on the episode.

Then again, he seems to be working less and less... the guy's been doing voices since the 70s or so, he must be getting old.

And I'll see you Maurice's Egon Spangler and raise you his Brain (from Pinky and the).

Oh I only mentioned Egon because I've been working my way through Time Life's Box Set for the Real Ghostbusters and after about 100 episodes, his voice is deeply embedded in my brain. Though this occasional episode intro by him is nice if only to put a face to the voice.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whoops, my bad.

edit: Bwahahaha, Phil LaMarr is the token black voice artist, playing every black cartoon character you might be able to think of.

Not quite. He also does Samurai Jack, the soft-spoken Earth King from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2, and loads and loads and LOADS of others.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0482851/

The guy's range is incredible.

If anyone's typecast it's Lauren Tom, whose acting history consists almost entirely of voicing Asian characters.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoops, my bad.

Not quite. He also does Samurai Jack, the soft-spoken Earth King from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2, and loads and loads and LOADS of others.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0482851/

The guy's range is incredible.

If anyone's typecast it's Lauren Tom, whose acting history consists almost entirely of voicing Asian characters.

I totally forgot he was Aamurai Jack!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    The female version of Phil LaMarr would be Cree Summer. Noteable roles include Susie from the Rugrats, Elmyra Duff from Tiny Toons and Foxxy Love from Drawn Together.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cree Summer's voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The female version of Phil LaMarr would be Cree Summer. Noteable roles include Susie from the Rugrats, Elmyra Duff from Tiny Toons and Foxxy Love from Drawn Together.

And most importantly she started out as Penny in Inspector Gadget.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Her range isn't all that impressive though. She is in everything ever though so it's excusable

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, every single one of her voices (excepting Elmyra, MAYBE) is instantly recognizable as hers. Not a bad actress in the traditional sense, though.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, every single one of her voices (excepting Elmyra, MAYBE) is instantly recognizable as hers. Not a bad actress in the traditional sense, though.

She adds a bit of an accent to Suzy but it's the same basic voice as Elmyra. The pitch maybe higher

For the most part I can usually pick out a VA just by their voice. It's not a bad thing actually I find it makes a fun little drinking game.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Is it Mark Hammill? If yes, take a shot for his disappointing career."

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Is it Mark Hammill? If yes, take a shot for his disappointing career."

Mark Hamil's VA career is actually pretty impressive he's one of the go to guys int he industry.

And he was on this one episode of Outer limits that I'm convinced was written just so he would scream at the end .

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just don't play that game with Steve Blum or you'll die of alcohol poisoning.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mark Hamill is the Joker in Batman. That alone makes his career stellar.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Listen, I like TAS.

But going from Luke fucking Skywalker to a VA for a Batman cartoon over a decade is a massive down step in your career. It'd be like if Pacino went from Michael Corleone to Cheerios commercials.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    *Waves hand*
    You're letting nostalgia color your perceptions.

*Waves hand again*
    Luke Skywalker was the ultimate Mary Sue Self-Insertion Fantasy.

*Waves hand a third time*
    Move along, then.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Listen, I like TAS.

But going from Luke fucking Skywalker to a VA for a Batman cartoon over a decade is a massive down step in your career. It'd be like if Pacino went from Michael Corleone to Cheerios commercials.

Yea, he should have stuck to it like the guy who plays Chewbaka did.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Listen, I like TAS.

I don't know going from being typecast as a whiny angst ridden hero that had no future as an actor to having a legitimate career seems like a step up to me.

Besides he didn't only do the Joker.

He was the Trickster too

King Riptor on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PLUS he was in Wing Commander......III was it?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He was the chubby detective from the Gabriel Knight PC game, too. I didn't realize it was him until I read the credits in the manual.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes, III. One of the first games to use full motion video!

Not everyone can be Harrison Ford.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

And really, considering the post Star Wars careers of some of the other actors in Star Wars, maybe being a well known VA isn't so bad.
    I'm looking at you Carrie Fisher, You too Mr. Prowse...

see317 on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i got free tickets to see star wars: in concert here and anthony daniels was the MC. i think he pretty much takes the ticket to sad town.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

And really, considering the post Star Wars careers of some of the other actors in Star Wars, maybe being a well known VA isn't so bad.
    I'm looking at you Carrie Fisher, You too Mr. Prowse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, Mark Hamil wasn't that great in Star Wars.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey now, Mark Hamill was in the Guyver! I mean he had to go into voice acting after that.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    xen0nxen0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Her range isn't all that impressive though. She is in everything ever though so it's excusable

Argh, I'm only now making the connection between Cree as Penny in Inspector Gadget and as Foxxy Love in Drawn Together. Quite the mental image, I must say.

xen0n on
    xen0n1979.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Besides the typecasting, the whole scar on his face thing kinda hurt his acting potential as well.

I still love his role in Jay & Silent Bob Strike back.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ha, I didn't know what happened to the Star Wars cast after the trilogy. So, of all the actors involved in the project, only Harrison Ford hit it big?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ha, I didn't know what happened to the Star Wars cast after the trilogy. So, of all the actors involved in the project, only Harrison Ford hit it big?

Harrison Ford , the dude who played Obi-Wan (god, it's escaping my mind at the moment), and the dude who played Tarkin all had careers before Star Wars. Ford was only working as a carpenter for a few years; that part of the Star Wars mythos gets blown out of proportion.

Carrie Fisher fell into drug abuse.
    Billy Dee Williams always was a character actor. He was in Batman, after all.
    Warwick Davis (I think that's his name) is probably the most famous midget/dwarf in Hollywood.
    Mark Hamill did a few live action shoots (Seaquest comes to mind), but I love his work in Full Throttle, Batman TAS and AA, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

To be quite frank, I -REALLY- hope they manage to pull off an episode like the Star Trek one, only with Star Wars actors. It'd be a fuckton harder, especially with Harrison Ford's asking price and his dislike of the Solo character... But if Family Guy and Robot Chicken can both do multiple Star Wars homages, then Futurama should be able to get away with it too.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't Mark Hamill's Joker VA the definitive version? Cause I could swear I heard Ledger channeling it a bit during DK.

Mark Hamill will always be Luke Skywalker to me and for that he will always BE AWSOME.

Go ahead and say that about Hayden Christensen. I dare ya.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Since Carrie got her life together, she's become a script doctor in Hollywod. Script Doctors make huge money.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Isn't Mark Hamill's Joker VA the definitive version? Cause I could swear I heard Ledger channeling it a bit during DK.

Mark Hamill will always be Luke Skywalker to me and for that he will always BE AWSOME.

Go ahead and say that about Hayden Christensen. I dare ya.

While I doubt Ledger was channeling Hamill in the least, Hamill does seem to be WB's go-to guy for the Joker, just like Kevin Conroy is for Batman. He's done video games, VA for a Batman-themed Australian ride, etc. And if Ledger didn't play the role Hamill would be unarguably the best Joker ever.

There's been some talk (during an interview for the next Batman: Arkham Asylum game) that he's "retiring" his role as the Joker, though it could be he was just referring to his role in the AA games.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a Sith-al War!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fffffff missed the first 4 min.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm so happy to see this aspect of the world shown again!

Athenor on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh god, contradictions from just 3 episodes ago :(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    oh god, contradictions from just 3 episodes ago :(

What, the eyephone?

Good lord. This show has continuity, but it isn't BSG or anything. The joke was more important, and I love seeing people throw out their cell phones flippantly.

Also, this might explain why Hermes hasn't been in many of the episodes so far, in a big role.

Athenor on