Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taya wrote: »
    How do you get the Simple Simon(e) accolade? I tried taking off all my clothes and now I'm out of ideas.

I looked this up at GameFAQs and was told to equip a very specific bunch of equipment that aren't named similarly and don't sound simple at all, I have no idea if it's the only way to do it or if there's anything in game to indicate it. I decided to forget about it for now because it sounded really stupid.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Put points in Fan.

Oh yes. My martial artist with his fan is most delicious.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I really wish there were multiple save slots. I really want to make a new party of dudes and see how I can do things differently.

"Well just go to the inn and make a bunch of level 1s--"

It's not the same!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I really wish there were multiple save slots. I really want to make a new party of dudes and see how I can do things differently.

It's not the same!

Right, it's not like you can level a thief up to Eye for Trouble and scan the Wight Knight again!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's not the same!

Right, it's not like you can level a thief up to Eye for Trouble and scan the Wight Knight again!

Been asking about that a few times before, will ask again -- do you ever get the opportunity to rescan the earlier bosses with Eye for Trouble? Like, are they hiding someplace? Do they appear in grottos?

KiTA on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    These guys are frustrating as hell. I just go with as many Metal Killer as i can, which is usually 2.

Also, i found this link to all the locations of grottos which might be helpful. It's obviously a major spoiler for those of you who'd like to search them.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Put points in Fan.

Try the Claws for absolute awesomeness.

quaigy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My Martial Artist uses the Staff, and I can't imagine anything else for her.

I myself am a Fan user.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My Martial Artist uses the Staff, and I can't imagine anything else for her.

I myself am a Fan user.
    This is me exactly. My main character is going to be a fan-wielding sage or paladin and my martial artist is awesome with a staff.

Taya on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    Put points in Fan.

My claw thief is a killing machine.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love that fans are so awesome. The cutest weapon is also the best. <3

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad that whips are so meh. Thankfully at least spears are pretty nice.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do you get the Simple Simon(e) accolade? I tried taking off all my clothes and now I'm out of ideas.

I looked this up at GameFAQs and was told to equip a very specific bunch of equipment that aren't named similarly and don't sound simple at all, I have no idea if it's the only way to do it or if there's anything in game to indicate it. I decided to forget about it for now because it sounded really stupid.

From the Guide...
    Weapon: Sadistick / Giant's Hammer
    Shield: Dragon Shield / Boss Shield
    Head: Hermetic Hat / Minotaur Helm
    Torso: Dark Robe / Jaguarment
    Arms: Heavy Handwear / Gloomy Gloves
    Legs: Blue Jeans / Steppe Steppers
    Feet: Classy Clogs / Agiliboots
    Accessory: Utility Belt / Elfin Charm

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »

From the Guide...
    Weapon: Sadistick / Giant's Hammer
    Shield: Dragon Shield / Boss Shield
    Head: Hermetic Hat / Minotaur Helm
    Torso: Dark Robe / Jaguarment
    Arms: Heavy Handwear / Gloomy Gloves
    Legs: Blue Jeans / Steppe Steppers
    Feet: Classy Clogs / Agiliboots
    Accessory: Utility Belt / Elfin Charm

Oh I see. That's very simple.

No, wait. Is "simple" the right word?

Seriously though that's stupid. Without a guide, how would I know to do that?

Taya on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My MC has mastered Thief's Acquisitiveness and Gladiator's Guts. Oh, and 16 points in Focus for Psyche Up. Level 40 Gladiator, level 15ish everything else. I was thinking of going to Martial Artist with him for 100 Focus, then going back for Minstrel and Ranger's abilities. Ultimately, was thinking pure DPS, with maybe Luminare and the like to max out the chance of stealing.

Alonso has Swords and Fource, with a little Spellcraft. I'm going to go Courage and then switch back to Mage for the rest of Spellcraft. No real... thought with him, to be honest. I was trying out Fource for shits and giggles, then decided to keep him as that job for a while. Ultimately I was thinking DPS with him.

Meredith is a L41 Martial Artist, with mastered shields and mastered fans. She was my Cleric originally, I am going to turn her into a Paladin.

Cassie is my L41 Priest, who was my L30ish Mage. 100 wands, working on Faith (35 points) now. I haven't been able to switch her jobs around much. Might want to switch back to Mage, in preparation for Sage. I've heard Sages don't make good healers, however.

I've been told that Priest, Luminare, and Sage are the "endgame" classes. Priest has good mana, good hp, and good enough armor. Luminare is a bit of everything (basically being Minstrel 2.0), and Sage is great mana and spells.

You don't want your MC to be your paladin, cause Egg On is too useful to keep him tied up as a pally. Read this for min/maxing:
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318059&pagenumber=4#post378799877

KiTA on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is there anything a Theif can off hand?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I finally killed a liquid metal slime with fan dango for the Hustle Dance quest while wearing bunny ears and a bunny tail on my MC. Didn't work, those silly geese should have put more detail in the quest. Now to try it with the bunny ears and tail equipped to the martial artist using fan dango. I can only hope that you're not supposed to use ONLY fan dango. Time to use a shitload of magic waters -_-

I swear some of the quests in this game are just masochistic.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    MonkeyDLuffyMonkeyDLuffy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So hey, anybody know off the top of their head if hocus chimeras drop flurry feathers? I've been looking for some but the gathering spot near Bloomingdale never has any and normal chimeras never spawn at Slurry Coast when I'm looking for them - as opposed to hocus chimeras, who are all over the fucking place in Heights of Loneliness.

MonkeyDLuffy on
    I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FUCK YES. Just killed the liquid metal with Fan Dango. Confirmed for those who will do it that the character doing the fan dango is the one to wear the bunny shit, not the MC. I also happened to kill it with only fan dangos, having a slower character use magic waters every turn, so you may have to kill it with only that as well, though that does seem a bit over the top. But that's how I got it. I've been playing this game strait since I bought it. Maybe I should take a break.... ahahahaha.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    Put points in Fan.

My claw thief is a killing machine.

His fan? o_O

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So hey, anybody know off the top of their head if hocus chimeras drop flurry feathers? I've been looking for some but the gathering spot near Bloomingdale never has any and normal chimeras never spawn at Slurry Coast when I'm looking for them - as opposed to hocus chimeras, who are all over the fucking place in Heights of Loneliness.
    I don't think so--just Chimera Wings and Hocus Chimera Feathers. There's something in the Bad Cave that drops them with something like a 2% Drop Rate, and there's another Harvest Point for them near Batsureg.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So. I got to Alltrades Abby and couldn't find any sign of Jack, so I went and looked around got the first fygg then took a boat somewhere. Am I okay? Is meeting Jack in the regular course of events, or do I have to seek it out?

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    So. I got to Alltrades Abby and couldn't find any sign of Jack, so I went and looked around got the first fygg then took a boat somewhere. Am I okay? Is meeting Jack in the regular course of events, or do I have to seek it out?
    Yeah, you skipped a whole slew of events. :lol: Talk to people in the Abbey, make sure you tell them you're not there to change jobs; you'll find out Jack was given a fygg and things will go from there

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, you skipped a whole slew of events. :lol: Talk to people in the Abbey, make sure you tell them you're not there to change jobs; you'll find out Jack was given a fygg and things will go from there

Thanks Black, I was in the same situation as MC.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, so I've got a few questions:

1) How soon can I do a class change on my main character? I've got nothing against being a minstrel, but I want her to be a warrior or paladin. I'd rather have a side-character be the minstrel.

1b) To follow the above question, is there a good level at which to do a class change? I don't really know how the skill progression works in this game, but if there's something specifically awesome in the Minstrel class that I should obtain before swapping to a different class, I'd like to know about it so I don't miss out on any good stuff.

2) Why do mages have an apparent level-progression penalty. My mage is nearly two levels behind everyone else now because it seems like each level requires so much more XP than the other classes. She was created at exactly the same time as my Thief and Monk, and they are both rapidly out-leveling the mage.

3) I've seen you guys talking about alchemy recipes and stuff. When do I start finding these? Story-wise I'm currently in the ruins of an old city right now on part of the Wight Knight quest. I'm north of Zere.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    1 - A few hours into the game once you get to the Alltrades quest. My guy was like lv 14 Minstrel by the time I finished that up. I wanted a warrior so I dropped points into sword and shield and nothing else.

2 - Yeah mages level slow. I've been giving my mage some awesome gear so far so she's not far behind on HP and stuff. Her AoE attacks are strong.

3 - After the 2nd town (I think), alchemy is unlocked and you learn recipes from bookshelfs.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    1b) To follow the above question, is there a good level at which to do a class change? I don't really know how the skill progression works in this game, but if there's something specifically awesome in the Minstrel class that I should obtain before swapping to a different class, I'd like to know about it so I don't miss out on any good stuff.

Level doesn't matter because all spells are exclusive to their own class. So Heal and Crack or whatever your minstrel knows will not carry over when you switch classes. However, abilities that you learn by allocating skill points will carry over. So if your minstrel is using a sword and knows dragon slash, he will still know dragon slash when he changes class (as long as he's still using a sword).

When you switch classes you go back to level 1 but then if you decide to become a minstrel again, it remembers the level (and equipment!) that you had before you switched.

So basically, switch as often or as little as you want. Spend skill points however you want, and don't ever feel like you have to stick with something just because you've invested in it already.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Early on, you want to classchange at 15. There are class quests that unlock at 15 (Gives a male and female torso armor that's class specific). Later on, 40, for the same reason -- the second class quest is level 40.

Similarly, there are quests for weapon users -- L30 (gives a decent weapon) and L100 weapon skill.

I believe the second quests give a new skill instead of gear, but not sure.

Some (er, all) of the second quests are a real bitch, btw. Poison myself, then double up AND kill a green dragon with double edged sword? The hell?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Weapon quests? Is there a list of where to find them? I've also found the majority of class quests except warrior and cleric (also not far enough for sage and superstar) so I was wondering where do I find those.

And where the bloody blazes are white tigertaurs for the Armamentalist quest?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well... I don't usually do this but I think I'm going to go and buy the strategy guide for this game. I wouldn't bother, but I can't seem to find an alchemy guide online. I really don't feel like hunting for hours for materials.

I haven't bought a strategy guide for a game since I beat FFVII and wanted to play through again and get everything. It's been a long time.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was just thinking about the strat guide. Anyone have it? Is it worth it for this game? Sounds complex enough that a guide might be worth owning just to make sure I get the most of of the game that I can.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Thanks so much. I figured I was doing something wrong.
    However that's kind of stupid that the game would require you to say you DON'T want to change jobs in order to unlock the ability to change jobs.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This Eye for Trouble thing is incredibly annoying.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    Weapon quests? Is there a list of where to find them? I've also found the majority of class quests except warrior and cleric (also not far enough for sage and superstar) so I was wondering where do I find those.

And where the bloody blazes are white tigertaurs for the Armamentalist quest?

Spoiler'ing this just in case
    You unlock all the weapon skill quests after you get the frygg in the academy

White Tigertaurs are located
    North of the Academy

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Looks like Stella is in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BoRYawqbE#t=00m14s

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahahahaahaha that is amazing.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never finished Joker 1. I feel kind of ashamed about it. I usually boast that I have never started and not finished a dragon quest game, but I got about 2 thirds through dqm:j and got bored. I didn't make it very far into Rocket Slime at all. I beat the DQ4 remake and am now plowing through IX. I think once I beat IX and crave some DQ again I'll finally buy the 5 remake.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    frygg
    I... uh...

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

However that's kind of stupid that the game would require you to say you DON'T want to change jobs in order to unlock the ability to change jobs.

About class change unlocking:
    You don't actually have to say you don't want to change classes. I never did, and I went through that section just fine. I forget exactly who I talked to and in what order, but I know it's possible.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »

About class change unlocking:
    You don't actually have to say you don't want to change classes. I never did, and I went through that section just fine. I forget exactly who I talked to and in what order, but I know it's possible.
    You have to talk to everyone and then go back to the dude in charge and talk to him again and then the chain starts where you start questioning people.

Arikado on
This discussion has been closed.