As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hit 38 as Sage on my entire party. Now working on grinding up to 38 on a few other jobs to get more skillpoints.

MC: Mastered Thief, Gladiator, Axe, Sage, working on Paladin, Warrior, Armamentalist
    Alonso: Mastered Sword, Warrior, Gladiator, Armamentalist, Ranger, Sage, working on Mage
    Cassie: Mastered Wand, Priest, Sage, Paladin, working on Mage
    Meredith: Mastered Fan, Shield, Warrior, Gladiator, Paladin, working on Minstrel

MC is pure damage. Alonso is pure damage. Cassie is spellcaster, will probably turn into a sage again after mastering Mage. Meredith is my tank.

Goals right now are to finish up the 3 classes on MC that are almost but not quite done then work on Ranger and Minstrel, get Alonso working on Shields, get Cassie Minstrel (so she has something to do vs Metal monsters), and get Meredith more HP.

KiTA on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's no cost for changing weapons in combat, right?

jothki on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    There's no cost for changing weapons in combat, right?
    Nope. Change away.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The back row doesn't change damage taken/dealt. It just (slightly) lowers the odds of being targeted.

Really? That's strange. Party lineup doesn't have any effect on damage, does it? That seems a little random, but I guess that just means my mage was a poor choice to try and become a ranger. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited July 2010
    Nope, none. You don't even lose a turn. Useful for switching from the Falcon Blade to something that is affected by Double-Edged Slash, for example.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    I was right btw: The game play remixed versions of DQ1-8 music when fighting cameo bosses. :D

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    The back row doesn't change damage taken/dealt. It just (slightly) lowers the odds of being targeted.

Really? That's strange. Party lineup doesn't have any effect on damage, does it? That seems a little random, but I guess that just means my mage was a poor choice to try and become a ranger. :P
    It's just to counteract the fact that you can't change positions for your characters (short of going to Patty's, ejecting them all and then readding them) and that your main has to always be first. In previous games it was a "first in battle order has highest chance of being hit, then second, third, fourth" but now it's front and back rows.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reposting this from a few pages ago :
    KiTA wrote: »
    Unlocked Sage

Where did you find the trolls for that ? The only place where i can find one takes hours for them to spawn.

quaigy on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    Unlocked Sage

Where did you find the trolls for that ? The only place where i can find one takes hours for them to spawn.

The final dungeon.

Post-game, yeah, they are super rare. The place you found or randomly in grottos. I just did it before I beat the game because I had the quest and they were all over the place in there.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    I thought i could do it after the end, so now i'm stuck with that terrible spawn point. I've spent one hour there last night, and found only two of them :/

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Apparently you can fight the final boss again in the post game so I guess you can go through the final dungeon again? Probably? Unless it's a DQ8 sort of thing and he's just sort of floating there.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Alright, i found a way !

Post-game spoilers
    When you're on the train, you can go back to realm of the All-mighty, talk to Celestra and go back to the final dungeon

Yay !

quaigy on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So... this cat in Bloomingdale meowed me a request. Any idea what I'm supposed to do?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited July 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    So... this cat in Bloomingdale meowed me a request. Any idea what I'm supposed to do?
    Equip a pair of cat ears (you can buy them in the armor shop in Bloomingdale) and talk to the cat again

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    So I got several pairs of Depressing Shoes from Liquid Metal Slimes. I turned one of them into Elevating Shoes, which gives something like 3% extra XP per fight. Not bad.

But I can easily turn them into "Pixie Shoes", which appear to... prevent damaging floors from hurting you? What?

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    Unlocked Sage

The final dungeon.

Post-game, yeah, they are super rare. The place you found or randomly in grottos. I just did it before I beat the game because I had the quest and they were all over the place in there.
    You can go back to the final dungeon. Just go to the throne room of the almighty, and there's a time machine there.

KiTA on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I got several pairs of Depressing Shoes from Liquid Metal Slimes. I turned one of them into Elevating Shoes, which gives something like 3% extra XP per fight. Not bad.

But I can easily turn them into "Pixie Shoes", which appear to... prevent damaging floors from hurting you? What?

Poison splotches, I would imagine. So you can walk over them and not take damage.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are there even that many in the game though? I'm up to Bloomingdale and the only one I can think of is the poison next to the ruins where you do the Wight Knight quest.

Gilder on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Are there even that many in the game though? I'm up to Bloomingdale and the only one I can think of is the poison next to the ruins where you do the Wight Knight quest.

I'm not every far, at all, but if this is like past DQ's, there is probably a dungeon, somewhere, that is based around the damaging floor mechanic.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well i'm in Upover, and am currently on a massive money grind to get all the equipment for sale there. I've beaten one treasure map dungeon, and I gotta say, Damn are those bosses hard! Equinox kicked my but the first time we fought, and so far Nemean has done the same.

Hey, just how do I download stuff like the quest of the week? I talk to Selma frequently at Erin's place, but all I ever see from that is the online store?

Plus, isn't Alena supposed to be a guest there on the 31st? How exactly do they do that?

Thanks.

Matthew on
    edited July 2010
    I think the quest of the week Downloads automatically

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Poison splotches, I would imagine. So you can walk over them and not take damage.

Unless there are vastly more damage floors in grottos (and I haven't seen any yet), this is so not worth it.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Equip a pair of cat ears (you can buy them in the armor shop in Bloomingdale) and talk to the cat again
    I am disappointed that the solution did not involve cheezburgers.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    Nono, puns, not memes.

Wonder why the Pixie and Tricksie boots are 3 and 4 star repsectively. Hm.

Also: The thief abilities? Outside of showing where dungeon stairs are, they're completely worthless in grottos.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    How does Double Up work? Is it a one turn thing or can you use it multiple times and it wears off in like 3 turns?

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    Nono, puns, not memes.

Wonder why the Pixie and Tricksie boots are 3 and 4 star repsectively. Hm.

Also: The thief abilities? Outside of showing where dungeon stairs are, they're completely worthless in grottos.

This saddened me greatly. That seems like the best place for Thief Abilities. I rarely use them in normal dungeons.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How does Double Up work? Is it a one turn thing or can you use it multiple times and it wears off in like 3 turns?
    It's self-Oomph plus self-Sap.

Billmaan on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you have an imagination then your characters are never boring!

Also helps to be very lonely and quite mad!

I prefer games like this where the main cast (or atleast your character) is silent, so you can come up with your own premises. A lot of fun imo.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    It's self-Oomph plus self-Sap.

And if you use it twice you don't get any additional attack but you do lose defense again.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Great, I think that covers everything about it. I used it twice once and started wondering if that even helped because it never said anything about the first one wearing off. So I won't be doing that again.

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    In my experience it took longer for the lowered defense to wear off than the attack, so if you use it right when the attack wears off your defense will go down "a lot." Unless you use Buff or Kabuff to counteract it.

UncleSporky on
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just so people know, don't get sword abilities specifically for killing metal slimes. Metal slash is consistent, but consistently worse than almost every other metal slime killing move you can get from other classes. Have a Ball is probably the best one, has a potential of like 6 or 7 hits, and the other multi-hit ones are great as well. I imagine for metal king slimes the critical or miss would be useful too. Also, the best place to fight metal slimes other than if you want the kings is the plateau directly northeast of Angel Falls (you have to be post-game). That place is awesome, you get fights with shit like 5 liquid metal slimes. One time I got a fight with 4 liquid metals and 3 medleys, and only missed one of each. In general it's way nicer too because even if you're rarely able to kill all the slimes that show up you usually get at least one or two. Not to mention it's like on top of a town instead of in a crappy dungeon somewhere.

Also, I'm going to assume it's a typo in the guide when it describes the final gladiator move as giving you tension when you attack. It's the same as the monster ability feel the burn where tension is received when the user of it is hit, correct?

Athaedos on
    edited July 2010
    I still consider Metal Slash to be well worth it. You're talking endgame, the sword's immediately accessible to many early classes and you only need to kill one at a time for a good 40 hours.

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010
    Word-deed, I have one character with maxed swords myself. My comment is more aimed at min-maxers who loathe wasting skill points. But also the multi-hit moves are best for killing one thing at a time when that's what you're down to. All in all I would encourage min-maxers to get have a ball on a couple characters if not the party, because so far it seems to be the most useful metal killer and that'll be awesome when you're going up through all the job levels. Once again most effective at the location I mentioned previously.

Oh yeah and why don't I live in Japan? I was all around downtown Seattle in pretty much all the most crowded places everywhere the whole day and I never got a guest. Guess it's too early =(. Anyone who's deep in the post game or has a cool treasure map like Kita wanna meet up downtown sometime? I'm about to go bat-shit on grottoes so I'll probably have some good stuff. I'll also be at the Gamestop event on the 31st in Bellvue. That's where the first PAX was! Well, the town anyways. Memories.

Athaedos on
    edited July 2010
    Uggh, why did Psyche Up and War Cry have to be on the same class? The Gladiator quest is going to be unnecessarily difficult.

I suppose I can just spam Snooze, though.

Edit: If you're looking for just normal Trolls, Ondor Cliffs is swarming with them.

jothki on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    why were people saying fan is the best metal killer? i have 100 fan and the fan book and still not seeing how it's the best killer.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2010
    I don't remember who said that, hopefully not me, but I do know that fan is supposedly the best thing to max out for endgame in general, due to reflecting breath attacks and a few other things.

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, fan dango is only decent for killing metals. Not bad, but not as good as have a ball. But it's what my fan swinger uses. Anyways, I'm nearing the point where I won't really need to kill metals except when I feel like it. My characters are just about maxed out when it comes to spending skill points on their offensive capabilities, except for my magic user because I deigned to get him treasure eye land, and of course as a sage/mage/priest there are a good number of trees to work on. I don't think it's worth it to hunt metals for the road to 99. Just not engaging enough. Eventually though I think this will be the second game I ever 'master', FFT being the first. Nearing 100 hours. D: ... :winky:

Just did some multiplication. What's especially hilarious about the 100 hours is I got the game 216 hours ago. My excuse is no job and searching for a place to live meaning most of my time is spent in transportation limbo since I don't have a car (graduated from college recently).

Athaedos on
    edited July 2010
    Why must grotto bosses be so much harder than the grottos themselves? I finally took down Equinox, but now I'm faced against Nemean, who can pretty much one-shot party members at will.

Edit: On the plus side, I got a Dragon Whip from Equinox. The map lists it as a 10% drop, so does that mean I got lucky there or something? How exactly does grotto loot work, will the boss eventually respawn and I can try again for a shot at the same loot? Now that I can take down Equinox, can I get additional maps from the first grotto, which might have easier bosses?

jothki on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bwahahaha I gave everyone Multifist (or whatever its called). Liquid Metal Slimes beware!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
This discussion has been closed.