As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    That's actually probably one of the most powerful teams for the mid game. :P

Lucky me.

Dragon Quest IX is right up there among my favorite games for just allowing a "screw min-maxing, I'm doing what I want to do" kind of gameplay.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    That's actually probably one of the most powerful teams for the mid game. :P

Lucky me.

Dragon Quest IX is right up there among my favorite games for just allowing a "screw min-maxing, I'm doing what I want to do" kind of gameplay.

Agreed—with the other pleasant aspect that it also completely caters to min-maxers who want to grind out as many levels and skill points as they'd like. Everyone's happy!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, cool, thanks for the tips everyone. :)

It's great to know there's zero chance to screw yourself over, but I also have that slight min-max edge to me as well. But that's easy enough to quiet down.

Just one more question, though I reckon I already know the answer. Are there any NPC's in the world that can join you, or is it all completely do-it-yourself? One of the other cons of this type of system is that by letting me make my party from whole cloth, you've pretty much guaranteed they'll be nothing but planks of wood personality wise. No dialog, no stories or backgrounds, nothing. Just 3 nameless blokes following me around. It's not a gamebreaker or anything, but it is a real letdown, especially after going from VIII and its group of characters.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you have an imagination then your characters are never boring!

Also helps to be very lonely and quite mad!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's great to know there's zero chance to screw yourself over, but I also have that slight min-max edge to me as well. But that's easy enough to quiet down.

Just one more question, though I reckon I already know the answer. Are there any NPC's in the world that can join you, or is it all completely do-it-yourself? One of the other cons of this type of system is that by letting me make my party from whole cloth, you've pretty much guaranteed they'll be nothing but planks of wood personality wise. No dialog, no stories or backgrounds, nothing. Just 3 nameless blokes following me around. It's not a gamebreaker or anything, but it is a real letdown, especially after going from VIII and its group of characters.
    Apparently for DLC quests people will (temporarily, I assume but don't know) join.

But really, just come up with personalities and backstories and motivations and so on. That way you're never playing the same game twice!
    33eiv09.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hah, the problem with my imagination is it's either so bland as to be non-existent, or so incredibly perverse that I should be locked in a mental institution for life. I have no middle ground :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2010

Your hunch is correct; no named story characters or anything, it's all player-generated (outside of Stella, whom is a narrator of sorts). It's very different from DQVIII, but it's a lateral step from DQIII on NES, which has the exact same setup as IX: Make a party of dudes, go out and adventure. But one of DQ's main pulls has always been the personalities and quirks you find in the little vignettes in each different town, so there is still a sense of character throughout.

EDIT: The postgame might, if Blackjack's correct, but by that point you're done with the main single-player story anyway.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've used the same characters ever since Everquest... they've all got their stories, and they've been in every MMO that I've played up to today. I used them in all games, so it's easy to keep that mindset.

GPIA7R on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you have an imagination then your characters are never boring!

Also helps to be very lonely and quite mad!

Man I totally am inventing personalities and stuff for my team.

DarkPrimus on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm obsessive min-maxer, as well as someone who likes to try out weird battle party arrangements. As fate would have it, I'm not going to be able to buy this game for another 2-3 weeks. I'm so tempted to look up an ability FAQ and plan out a party now.

RainbowDespair on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nope, just these guys, it's very similar to the way Dragon Quest 3 is done which is why many people are taking to it.

There's plenty of other story going on behind the scenes though.

Sipex on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just realized that DQ3 is the only main DQ game I haven't beaten, outside of 6 which I'm waiting for the obvious version of. I should fix that someday. What was the best version that got an english release? Didn't the GBC version have extra stuff added?

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    Regardless of whether it did or not, it's more stable than the NES version.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    GBC is the best version officially available in English, yeah.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay cool. That was the version I played a little of. My friend had lent me the first three games on GB and I beat the first two, but I couldn't get into the third game as much for some reason back then. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it now though.

Gilder on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So yeah... now I see why the Paladin is considered broken. After getting my faces handed to me by Godwyn on at least six occasions, I did some odd quests and leveled up until my Pally had Forbearance.

Godwyn went down like a bitch. Luckily he never hit me with a critical, which had been one of my many problems with him in the past; one time the RNG served up THREE crits in a row, effortlessly wiping out my team in like two rounds. There was one Thin Air attack that was close, but Pally pulled through and was Moreheal'd by my Ranger on her next turn.

Amusingly, however, by the time I had Forbearance I also had accumulated 22K and gave my Paladin some swanky Mirror Armor. The final turn of the battle was Godwyn attempting to hurl a Kafizzle at someone; Paladin jumps in the way, and reflects it back at him for the kill.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So yeah... now I see why the Paladin is considered broken. After getting my faces handed to me by Godwyn on at least six occasions, I did some odd quests and leveled up until my Pally had Forbearance.

Godwyn went down like a bitch. Luckily he never hit me with a critical, which had been one of my many problems with him in the past; one time the RNG served up THREE crits in a row, effortlessly wiping out my team in like two rounds. There was one Thin Air attack that was close, but Pally pulled through and was Moreheal'd by my Ranger on her next turn.

Amusingly, however, by the time I had Forbearance I also had accumulated 22K and gave my Paladin some swanky Mirror Armor. The final turn of the battle was Godwyn attempting to hurl a Kafizzle at someone; Paladin jumps in the way, and reflects it back at him for the kill.
    You want to really make a Paladin amazing, put points into Fans and Shields.
    Shields will get you Magic Mirror, which reflect magic 100% of the time while active (about 5 rounds). Magic Mirror + Forbearance + Boss Casts Bang = Hilarity

Fans have a skill that reflects breath attacks that are targeting the user. That + Forbearance + High Level Breath Attacks bosses love to use = Hilarity

The Ultimate Fan also increases chances of Coup De Grace activating. Paladin Coup De Grace makes him completely invincible for a couple turns

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I assume that Forbearance is Whipping Boy for the entire team?

jothki on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. It's really dumb, especially with all of the natural resistance you get along the way.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That actually seems kind of offensive to the warrior class, since they have to work so much harder for the same thing, without getting any extra benefits out of it. Whistle is an interesting ability.

edit: Though I suppose once they've grabbed aggro, a warrior can go back to attacking. Also, can bosses be whistled? I've seen them enrage on their own occasionally.

jothki on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Picked this up yesterday. With the Wifi, can we play over the internet? Or is it just other DS's near by?

Also, I just finished the "intro", and I'm curious...does what happened at the end there get explained as the story unfolds?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday. With the Wifi, can we play over the internet? Or is it just other DS's near by?

Also, I just finished the "intro", and I'm curious...does what happened at the end there get explained as the story unfolds?

You need to be local to play, so no internet, sorry.

Also, yes, as with any good DQ game, everything is explained in time.

Sipex on
  • KibblerKibbler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question about changing classes...
    I'm still a stupid Minstrel. I hate it. I'm in Coffinwell now and I haven't recruited a party yet. I want to be a warrior class, but I can't find a way. When can I change classes, and how? I'm trying to avoid using a party as long as I possibly can.

Also, if I get a party, is the XP split between everyone?

Thanks!

Kibbler on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kibbler wrote: »
    Question about changing classes...
    I'm still a stupid Minstrel. I hate it. I'm in Coffinwell now and I haven't recruited a party yet. I want to be a warrior class, but I can't find a way. When can I change classes, and how? I'm trying to avoid using a party as long as I possibly can.

Also, if I get a party, is the XP split between everyone?

Thanks!

You will be able to change classes after you beat the boss of the area you're in now, and the next one. How will be obvious (you just talk to a guy).

I don't know if its ever required to have a party, and if you know exactly whats coming you may be able to counter most effects (paralysis, etc) by equipping the right gear. Though you will need to have some token party members for some class quests (specifically I'm thinking of the paladin one), but you could probably just delete them right after you make them if you so desire.

I'm not quite sure how XP is divided since I've always ran with a full party as soon as I could.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also minstrel is not stupid. Mine is consistently nearly as strong/stronger than a warrior and can also heal and bring people back from the dead.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Minstrels are basically the hero class from other dq games with worse weapon and armor choices.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2010
    I've been flirting with making my mage into either a Minstrel or Armamentalist, but Armas don't get any direct attack spells, I think (at least for the 16 or so levels I worked on him). Do Minstrels get group attack spells? My mage plinks away with tiny little hits and isn't that great with MP sucking right now, but he is killer for Bang and Crackle effects.

Lunker on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    I've been flirting with making my mage into either a Minstrel or Armamentalist, but Armas don't get any direct attack spells, I think (at least for the 16 or so levels I worked on him). Do Minstrels get group attack spells? My mage plinks away with tiny little hits and isn't that great with MP sucking right now, but he is killer for Bang and Crackle effects.

Woosh, I think... My Minstrel has it

GPIA7R on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you need group attack spells if you max out boomerang (or use the best whip)? Are spells still way better?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    Minstrels get Woosh and Crackle at the very least.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you need group attack spells if you max out boomerang (or use the best whip)? Are spells still way better?

Spells are much better, but take longer and use more MP.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • KibblerKibbler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, my plans of beating the game with a single character seem to be over. I just faced the Coffinwell boss...

Not much you can do against...
    ...double-attack, sleep, and debuffs. :D

I'm level 17 now, but I'd probably have to grind to at least 21 or 22 to make him soloable.

Kibbler on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Which class gets the Whack and Thwack spells? When I get this game, I wanna know ahead of time.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My priest has whack and thwak and a bad ass spear

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »

Yeah, I figured it was the Priest, but I wanted to be sure, just in case. Thanks.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited July 2010

You don't even need to max out Boomerang. Once you get Stardust Throw enemies just crumple and die for 6MP.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited July 2010
    Do weapons like the boomerang or bow hit for full damage from the back row? The game doesn't really clarify, and I couldn't tell if my startup Armamentalist was just too weak on his own or not.
    UncleChet wrote:

I couldn't resist keeping the spear with my priest. She's not the strongest hitter, but it's nice enough to keep the chain going, and Mercurial Thrust or whatever is great for hunting metal creatures.

Lunker on
    edited July 2010
    The back row doesn't change damage taken/dealt. It just (slightly) lowers the odds of being targeted.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    That actually seems kind of offensive to the warrior class, since they have to work so much harder for the same thing, without getting any extra benefits out of it. Whistle is an interesting ability.

edit: Though I suppose once they've grabbed aggro, a warrior can go back to attacking. Also, can bosses be whistled? I've seen them enrage on their own occasionally.

Warriors can do damage. Paladins... uh... well, technically?

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Paladins can do more damage than Gladiators, man!
    Okay so technically all of that damage is just reflecting shit back at bosses, but still!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.