As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ficly Thread 2: Here comes the drama!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Ficly has gotten really depressing.

I don't see anybody active anymore. Some of the more terrible writers have apparently decided to get together and label themselves as the "League of Awesome". One of them even wrote a story about it.

Seriously guys, what happened?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    we got bored like we always do

let them enjoy their shared awfulness in peace, Centi

YaYa on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Ficly has gotten really depressing.

I don't see anybody active anymore. Some of the more terrible writers have apparently decided to get together and label themselves as the "League of Awesome". One of them even wrote a story about it.

Seriously guys, what happened?

barfing oh god it just doesn't stop pouring from my mouth

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So uh

I wrote my first Ficly thing

http://ficly.com/stories/5319

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    why does the ficly community have to be so bad

why can't they be cool

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man that is terrible make it stop

E: In response to THE LEAGUE OF AWESOME

god dammit

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

oh my god that story is featured, too

it's such a pile of poorly written shit

gargantuan halls with vastly high ceilings? UUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

to say nothing of the poor grammar and syntax! the dude has NO FUCKING IDEA how to use commas and quotation marks!

it is purely masturbatory! it looks like a pile of semen on a horse's ass, is what that story looks like

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    honestly I would love to find a site like ficly except with talented writers

It is very, very hard for me to say something like this about another's creative output, but the vast majority of those people are honest-to-god horrific writers

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pile of semen on a horse's ass.

I

I don't know how to... what to say about that one, Viv.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    it's a pretty astute observation is what it is

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It is very, very hard for me to say something like this about another's creative output, but the vast majority of those people are honest-to-god horrific writers

the fact that THAT story is chosen as their "featured" story actually makes the whole site lose credence as a writing site... it's like, if someone just went to that site and clicked on "featured," you have to ask yourself: is this the best the site could offer? is this the quality of writing that is aspired to and lauded? WHAT?

it's obviously now a circle-jerk site for prepubescent girls and guys who think they have nothing to learn from anyone anywhere because they are such goddamn PRODIGIES

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Viv, dispensin' the hate

totally justified hate though

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I posted a story on Ficly once.

I was gonna do more but then I started reading other stories.

I kinda backed out at that point.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »

the fact that THAT story is chosen as their "featured" story actually makes the whole site lose credence as a writing site... it's like, if someone just went to that site and clicked on "featured," you have to ask yourself: is this the best the site could offer? is this the quality of writing that is aspired to and lauded? WHAT?

it's obviously now a circle-jerk site for prepubescent girls and guys who think they have nothing to learn from anyone anywhere because they are such goddamn PRODIGIES

Yes, exactly. If they were just a bunch of bad writers I wouldn't say mum. If they were ALL bad writers, I would probably be more kind. The thing is, not only are they all bad writers but they write fanfiction about each other and laud each other's shit like it's fucking Virginia Woolf.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I tend to think that the evaluation of microfiction and poetry is rather weak in general. With longer stuff people have to make a real choice to like something, but when stuff is short it's just like eh ok, sure, that looks good.

That's the only explanation I have for the literary wasteland that is the new yorker.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    although I do think that whatever story is "featured" is just whichever one has the most people commenting on it at any given time

which isn't that much better, but at least no one is actually hand picking it to hold up as an example of the quality of writing to be found on the site

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I know full well my writing has issues and needs polishing.

I also know full well that my writing is pretty good, and I'm trying to say that without too much ego.

So Ficly is exactly what I don't need if I'm to reach my potential because of its horrible userbase. The character limiting forces a new angle for me as I tend to overextend fucking everything, so that was really cool and fun, but without constructive criticism what good is the practice? While I think I can rely on the SE++ people for criticism, the rest of the site is pretty much just literary handjobbing.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My ficly page:

Brodo

Add me on friends, I dunno how.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    although I do think that whatever story is "featured" is just whichever one has the most people commenting on it at any given time

which isn't that much better, but at least no one is actually hand picking it to hold up as an example of the quality of writing to be found on the site

yeah I know, I'm just explaining how it looks to a person who's new to the site and checking it out

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I also know full well that my writing is pretty good, and I'm trying to say that without too much ego.

So Ficly is exactly what I don't need if I'm to reach my potential because of its horrible userbase. The character limiting forces a new angle for me as I tend to overextend fucking everything, so that was really cool and fun, but without constructive criticism what good is the practice? While I think I can rely on the SE++ people for criticism, the rest of the site is pretty much just literary handjobbing.

Essentially, yeah

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

yeah I know, I'm just explaining how it looks to a person who's new to the site and checking it out

yeah, it's a shame. it's fairly well designed site too, it could really be something if 90% of the people on the internet who consider themselves good writers weren't in high school and write mostly fanfiction.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to start pretending that Ficly went down the terlet solely because I stopped posting there

hold on

okay I'm doing it

feels good man

Butler on
  • Options
    TrixTrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey YaYa, I'd like to be added to the list

Trix: http://ficly.com/authors/trix

And my first two posts:

http://ficly.com/stories/5817
    http://ficly.com/stories/5818

Trix on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

while I don't think my writing is that good, I definitely agree that feedback from the userbase is almost worthless because so few of them understand how to actually critique something

which is why I haven't gone to ficly in weeks

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So glad I got bored with Ficly

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am sad that it devolved into a masturbatory circlejerk while I was away because I like the concept of the site

Still, I like what I put up on there. Should save it elsewhere for when the site inevitably collapses in on itself

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    So glad I got bored with Ficly

yes this

it was fun being quality writers among a sea of hacks and also starting massive drama but then I realized I just wanted to share my writing with you dudes

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I hated seeing myself in the stuff we were tearing new assholes

And then writing something to great acclaim despite it barely being better

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I hated seeing myself in the stuff we were tearing new assholes

And then writing something to great acclaim despite it barely being better

what

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would read really bad stuff on there

And then the stuff I'd write would look just as bad to me

But everyone would be like "oh let me spray compliments everywhere all over your work"

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    actually I seem to remember your stuff being pretty good AMP'd

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I only wrote like five stories because I couldn't stand the sort of crap I'd put out if I published everything

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrixTrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so wait none of you are doing ficly anymore? it seems like if at least the writers at SE++ are giving constructive feedback, then it's still a helpful tool.

Trix on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    None of us are really doing it, no

Sorry Trix

Straightzi on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey I almost forgot about this

maybe I should write more robot stories, that was a fun exercise

Usagi on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

while I don't think my writing is that good, I definitely agree that feedback from the userbase is almost worthless because so few of them understand how to actually critique something

YES.

All I got in my story comments were "this is really good".

No it isn't, you cretins. I say right in my bio everything I write is crap. TELL ME WHY IT IS CRAP, SO I CAN MAKE IT LESS CRAPPY.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

YES.

All I got in my story comments were "this is really good".

No it isn't, you cretins. I say right in my bio everything I write is crap. TELL ME WHY IT IS CRAP, SO I CAN MAKE IT LESS CRAPPY.
    I know!

it would be cool if we had a site like ficly but just for SE peeps so we could keep things more focused. Mind, I doubt anyone is going to go to the trouble of doing something like that just for this community, and I certainly don't have the knowhow. But it would be nifty.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I was going to post something on Ficly tonight, but after coming and reading this thread first I see now that this would not be a good idea.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    basically I agree with everything that has been said

it's a cool format and a cool idea

but the userbase is a bunch of oversensitive trogs

Shorty on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ne-ne-ne-necroposting

i wrote a new thing and i am determined to get back to writing them daily

observe

Quoth on