As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers: The Movie (The Sequel): The Games

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
So, has anyone tried out the new Transformers: RotF games for 360/PS3? I read a review over at gamespot that seemed pretty positive, given its a movie tie in. It certainly has me intrigued enough that I may give it a rental. Also, it doesn't hurt that I've never really played a good 3d transformers game (played the Transformers: Autobots game for the DS a few years back) and I've been jonesing to try one (avoided the first movie tie-in because I heard it was pretty terrible).

It seems (I only skimmed the review off of GS) that theres 3 modes (robot/vehicle/robot w/ weapons) and that one of the bigger complaints are the controls, specifically going from robot to vehicle to robot. Now, I'm not under any illusions that my love for transformers in general is probably clouding my judgment here (also having recently seen the movie, which I'm sure they're banking on), but could this be a decent game underneath all that?

Some Screens:
1051812-transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen___optimus_prime_super.jpg
957956_20090624_790screen008.jpg
957956_20090624_790screen015.jpg

So has anyone given this or the new Autobots/Decepticons games for the DS a try? Not much to go off of on the DS games, I saw IGN gave the autobots one a 7/10 (which seems to be the only review I can find, they gave the Decepticons game the same score, unsurprisingly).

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
Drakeon on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reviews would seem to suggest that they're still all inferior to the older, non-film-based PS2 Transformers game.
    I'd recommend the latter instead. Very solid game, and among the prettier PS2 titles.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was looking forward to this, as the game trailers got me more hyped for the movie than the movie trailers did. IGN really hated the Wii one, it seems, but I think I was more interested in the 360/PS3 version, anyway.

Come to think of it, I need to look over that IGN review some more... I'm not even really sure what the Wii Remote does in this one, if anything.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If Shia LaBeouf is somehow in this game, then hell no. He is the JarJar Binks of Transformers. :(

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have it but haven't played it yet. I'm watching the film tomorrow at the Imax, then I'll be giving the game a shot, I shall post up impressions!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    It's better than the first movie game, which I also enjoyed. Mainly because hey, I'm running around as Optimus Prime! The combat system is pretty simple still, but they've added the ability to launch yourself out of vehicle mode to attack and jump, similar to what you could do in the Armada game.

Graphics-wise, the robots look phenomenal. The environments are pretty bland, honestly, but the lighting is pretty good. One big thing is being able to unlock the ability to play as any Autobot or Decepticon on any level. That was really missing from the first game...I hated being forced to play as a certain bot on a level that I really wanted to be someone else on.

Overall, it's really reminding me of the Armada game, which is a good thing.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Reviews would seem to suggest that they're still all inferior to the older, non-film-based PS2 Transformers game.
    I'd recommend the latter instead. Very solid game, and among the prettier PS2 titles.

Unfortunately I lack a PS2, so thats not really an option for me. Although it's nice to hear that its similar to that game.

Drakeon on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best platform for the first Transformers film tie-in video game was the Nintendo DS and no I am not being sarcastic at all.

I picked up ROTF for the DS based on the pedigree and it feels like one step forward and three steps back as of right now. Maybe if the free-roaming GTA-esque overworld returns later in the game I will appreciate it more - right now only being able to select specific closed-map missions to do is making me like it not so much - especially since, while you can "upgrade" your robot with experience points to raise stats and various equipment mods you can equip... unlike the first game you cannot change your alt-mode and paint scheme at a whim. As I said, one step forward, three steps back.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The best platform for the first Transformers film tie-in video game was the Nintendo DS and no I am not being sarcastic at all.

I picked up ROTF for the DS based on the pedigree and it feels like one step forward and three steps back as of right now. Maybe if the free-roaming GTA-esque overworld returns later in the game I will appreciate it more - right now only being able to select specific closed-map missions to do is making me like it not so much - especially since, while you can "upgrade" your robot with experience points to raise stats and various equipment mods you can equip... unlike the first game you cannot change your alt-mode and paint scheme at a whim. As I said, one step forward, three steps back.
    Yeah the new ds game is a total let down. None of those features return in the game ever.

I have heard good things about the next gen version of this though so hey maybe that's good.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any demos out for the various platforms yet?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah the new ds game is a total let down. None of those features return in the game ever.

I have heard good things about the next gen version of this though so hey maybe that's good.

If the next-gen console versions are actually awesome, then it's a total reversal, and I will be shocked and awed.

(Not saying the DS game is a bad game - it just feels like a game that should have come out BEFORE the first one.)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

If the next-gen console versions are actually awesome, then it's a total reversal, and I will be shocked and awed.

(Not saying the DS game is a bad game - it just feels like a game that should have come out BEFORE the first one.)
    No the DS game is bad.

The first game was awesome because you weren't limited to shitty small maps and whatnot. The new one is just awful compared to the first.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If Shia LaBeouf is somehow in this game, then hell no. He is the JarJar Binks of Transformers. :(

I agree, and would like to take the sentiment one step further to say that Shia LeBeouf is the JarJar Binks of every movie he's in.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

I agree, and would like to take the sentiment one step further to say that Shia LeBeouf is the JarJar Binks of every movie he's in.

Funny, that's what people are instead saying about the Twins.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Funny, that's what people are instead saying about the Twins.

Pretty much. Shia's honestly not that bad in 2. The only parts with him that really annoy me aren't because of him, they're because of the people around him.

yalborap on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've got the 360 version and I have to say I enjoy it a lot. I think I like it more than the PS2 Armada one. It is a lot more fast paced and fluid.

The option to go into cleared maps and free roam is always nice; plus there's a lot of little goals that you can work on if you're bored.

I haven't tried it multiplayer however. If enough PA'ers pick it up we should set up a generic buddylist so we can get some good shooting of some robot faces.

Honestly I think IGN's 6 is completely off. The 7.5ish average (metacritic says 70, but the crazy low IGN and 1up scores hurt it a lot) it's garnering seems spot on. It's not a moving gaming experience and there's a lot of little things that could easily be improved upon.

But at the same time it's a billion and a half times better than the first movie game (I realize isn't saying much) and well worth it. Full price? Well, YMMV on that one; I'm a TF whore so it was a preorder for me, for others you might wait till it comes down to $30 or $40; I don't regret paying full price (well, technically I got a free movie ticket out of it too so...), but others might be a bit put off if they do and it's not their thing.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

A bit off topic, but in regards to your sentiments on Shia LeBeouf, I have to ask if you have seen A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. If you have not, perhaps you should. Again, this is my opinion, but I think he did a better job in that than Robert Downey Jr. And I love me some Robert Downey Jr.

Dourin on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The inability of devs to make a great Transformers game is nothing short of tragic. Giant robots that transform into planes, trucks, tanks, cars, construction equipment, guns, etc; how the hell do you screw that up?

Apparently by doing each and every last thing in a mediocre fashion. The PS2 version had you all over the world in surprisingly large maps and you fought an aircraft carrier. Even the Minicons, which I detested as an obvious attempt to cash in on the Pokemon craze, were implemented in a useful and interesting fashion.

Also, Shia LaBeouf is actually an actor I'm willing to defend. He's done a number of really good parts; the problem is that he also keeps getting cast in roles with shitastic writing *cough* Indian Jones *cough*.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm having fun with it, the multi will decide if it stays for a while or goes on goozex in the next week.

Also, love him or hate him, I think there were worse things to complain about in the movie than Labeouf.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've had enough heavy emphasis on Sam the Beef for a while. If they're going to focus on humans, I'd like to see more Lennox and Epps. I get far more entertainment from them, and they're more involved in the actual fighting, rather than just the running.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, the multi seems fun from what I've played, but considering the sheer damage a group of Transformers can put out, pubs are gonna be really fucking annoying. Also, Bumblebee's stun is op as fuck. Drive at 'em while shooting, come out in an adv takedown, pop the emp then whale on them with rockets, dead. He's amazing at hit and run tactics.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've heard it's like Team Fortress 2, but where everyone is their own class.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What the game could really benefit from is more people. I mean, why include all the bots if there's not even enough room for each of them in one game?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Because people like choices.

And they're going to add a lot more bots, by all accounts, with DLC in the future, for multiplayer.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Forgot to mention. There are ingame challenges that unlock things. Concept art, bots for use in missions, and G1 episodes.

Off the top of my head the episodes I can remember are:
    The Ultimate Doom Part I-III
    S.O.S. Dinobots
    War on the Dinobots
    Fire on the Mountain

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Those would excite me more, but I plan on getting the full-series DVD set when it comes out.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As extras in a game they aren't bad.
    Honestly at this point, the only thing that puts it above a rental is the multi, and that seems to depend on how many of your friends have the game, too.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is this on par with the PS2 game? If so it is so bought

hyperpower on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If this game doesn't have a "Dogs humping" sub-game then I'll be let down.

(I watched the film on Friday and was so incredibly let-down. Pathetic humour, a dubious lack of any of the autobots and a thoroughly awful plot.)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would think a "Wheelie humping Megan Fox" minigame would bring more people in.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What's funny, is playing this game I'm sitting there going "Wait, he wasn't in the movie."
    I don't remember seeing Seeker, Aerialbot, Protectobot.

And a GOLD Optimus Prime? Really? Come on, you don't need to try and make him cooler, he's goddamn Optimus.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    What's funny, is playing this game I'm sitting there going "Wait, he wasn't in the movie."

And a GOLD Optimus Prime? Really? Come on, you don't need to try and make him cooler, he's goddamn Optimus.

See: The Golden Lagoon, G1 Season 2.
    Laserrave.gif

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Giantbomb has a quicklook up of the singleplayer if anyone is interested: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen/17-938/

Drakeon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm gonna be the only one that thinks that is retarded, aren't I?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    what?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Giantbomb has a quicklook up of the singleplayer if anyone is interested: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen/17-938/

so i havent played the game, but judging by the video, it looks mildly entertaining, but i think it could use some innovation in the transforming controls

as it stands, the have you holding RT to stay in vehicle mode, and if LT (aim) is held then RT is fire

i think they need a revamp, something akin to what the Spiderman 2 game did to the web swinging controls. make the very act of transforming feel more dynamic and nuanced

Joolander on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If this game doesn't have a "Dogs humping" sub-game then I'll be let down.

(I watched the film on Friday and was so incredibly let-down. Pathetic humour, a dubious lack of any of the autobots and a thoroughly awful plot.)

I feel the exact opposite. That movie kicked way too much ass to me.

Also Im picking the game up on Wednesday so if anyone wants to know how it is at that point Ill be sure to post then. Well....if I get a chance to play it that is.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »

See: The Golden Lagoon, G1 Season 2.
    Laserrave.gif
    More like he's activated his hyper mode!

img_3094.jpg

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I believe the correct term is "Lucky Draw Prime". :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That toy is almost exactly what he looks like in the game.

The different bots play a lot differently, which is nice. Even the fast bots for the sides. Bumblee is a hit and run, boost in, kill someone, boost out. Sideways is a long range fighter. Pop a shot or two with your sniper, then transform and get to a different rooftop.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I believe you can get a gold Megatron through the same way you get a gold Prime.

Seeker, Aerialbot, and Protectobot are just generics to fill out the ranks, based on various G1 sub-groups.

LBD_Nytetrayn on