As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The 6-man version of the book skirmish with the ballistae is nuts. If you don't clear the momentum buffs on the troll at the end every single chance you get, you will wipe. I took 72k damage in a single hit.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    The 6-man version of the book skirmish with the ballistae is nuts. If you don't clear the momentum buffs on the troll at the end every single chance you get, you will wipe. I took 72k damage in a single hit.
    Wow

1- you found 5 others to do that instance with
    2- 72,000 damage. :o

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There're a handful of folks in my kin who refuse to do the book skirmishes solo. I'm hoping we find 12 when they get to the last one, because I really want to see how insane they make that last fight. Doing it solo was honestly a bit of a let down.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The good thing about the ballistae skirmish is those orcs drop badges.

Scooter on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I also like how killing mobs in skirmish's count for deeds in that area. I finished a wolf deed in gondamon, it was kind of funny.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Damn, it seems half my server is away for Christmas, hardly any groups to instances forming.

Also, *no one* runs warg pens and dungeons. Such a let down.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When I am high enough level, I will run anything for anyone. I never understood why it's hard to find groups. I'm always down, when I have the appropriate resources.

Yeah, I finally resubbed last night. Made a Guardian, which is fun and totally my style, except I basically don't look at anything except my hotbar when fighting. I don't recall having that with my Minstrel, even though the rotation concept is identical...

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    When I am high enough level, I will run anything for anyone. I never understood why it's hard to find groups. I'm always down, when I have the appropriate resources.

Yeah, I finally resubbed last night. Made a Guardian, which is fun and totally my style, except I basically don't look at anything except my hotbar when fighting. I don't recall having that with my Minstrel, even though the rotation concept is identical...

You'll get better when you know the buttons better, also guards are more reactive (ok I parried time to hit my parry follow ups) then minis.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Made a Guardian, which is fun and totally my style, except I basically don't look at anything except my hotbar when fighting. I don't recall having that with my Minstrel, even though the rotation concept is identical...

You'll get better when you know the buttons better, also guards are more reactive (ok I parried time to hit my parry follow ups) then minis.

There is "combat response sound option" or something like that in the combat options panels. I think it is supposed to make a sound each time your reactive skills are up. I tried to use the option on my guardian alt, but it never helped me. Still, you could try it.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Made a Guardian, which is fun and totally my style, except I basically don't look at anything except my hotbar when fighting. I don't recall having that with my Minstrel, even though the rotation concept is identical...

There is "combat response sound option" or something like that in the combat options panels. I think it is supposed to make a sound each time your reactive skills are up. I tried to use the option on my guardian alt, but it never helped me. Still, you could try it.

Yeah I had it the same for my burg and I think my lm (or flanking just by default makes the noise). Still just watched the button light up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's a particle effect you can enable for reactives too; if the sound doesn't give it away, the flash of color (varies by condition) can help drill it into your mind.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    it's the curse of MMOs, so much good stuff to look at and you're always stuck just watching skill bars and debuffs

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Back when I played a Monk in GW I could play the entire game by staring at my team's healthbars.

They'd be all like 'That was an awesome looking boss!' and I would have no idea what they were talking about. Complete tunnel vision.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    it's the curse of MMOs, so much good stuff to look at and you're always stuck just watching skill bars and debuffs

I used to use a mod in WoW that would basically show you what was on cooldown right by your character. It was awesome. You get to actually see the action and still know what's going on.

That's one of those things that I'm hoping they improve/add with the supposedly forthcoming UI refresh.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought LOTRO was one of those MMO's that was pretty hardcore against UI modification? Is that something that's changed?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't get the impression that they're so much as against it as they just haven't bothered/don't think it's worth the effort.

There has been some rumbling (from the developers, supposedly) about a UI update that's in the works for, like, a year, now. No details, no date, just something that's supposed to happen in the future.

I don't think they'll make it heavy-duty moddable. It'd just be nice to have a way to keep tabs on what's on cooldown without staring at your hotkey bar.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The UI was one of the things I appreciated in LOTRO. It was nice to not allow people to tap into the UI so much that you NEED to download modifications to keep up with everyone. There were a few things, as s3rial says, that could use some updates. Otherwise, it was a nice change of pace from the almost cheating that happens in other games due to UI modifications.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'm usually like this as well, but I don't have so much play time that I can bum around for half an hour offering help to someone and then they need to find a 3rd player.

Or worse, 4 more players.

I'm also thinking about leveling my burglar more, even though my warden has a lot of shit he has to do. (basically need 27 more DG tokens, 65 more levels on various legendaries and a few thousand skirmish marks to max out my herbalist). They just seem so cool and useful.

Then I remember how much annoying shit I had to do on my warden to be even remotely useful, I don't want to LFF for ages on my burg for the whole of vol2bk1-bk6 like I had to do on my warden.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    For many classes, the capstone from Volume II isn't really worth it. Hell, for most classes, slotting 5 traits in one line is counterproductive.

Anyway, as far as tunnel vision goes, you really should break that habit on the Guardian. If nothing else, you'll need to keep an eye out for inductions that need to be interrupted. And if you plan on doing a lot of tanking, you'll need to be able to pay attention to positioning (both your own and the mob that you are tanking), as well as looking for any adds you may need to pick up.

And I recommend putting the block response skills and the parry response skills on separate hotbars. For example, I have block response skills set to Alt-1 through -5, parry response skills to Shift-1 through -5. Easier to see that way and keeps things more orderly.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Personally my main is a guardian and I've never had tunnel vision problems. Though I definitely know what it's like from playing an empath in CoH.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wardens who want to be useful as a tank are pretty much tied to a build with lots of shields.

traits
    Master o/t Spear
    Master o/t Shield
    Master o/t Fist
    4 other shield traits to increase your selfheals

legendaries
    Javelin of Deadly Force
    Way of Shield
    And then you can pick between Way of the Warden or Defiant Challenge. Which are both pretty much useless.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    For many classes, the capstone from Volume II isn't really worth it. Hell, for most classes, slotting 5 traits in one line is counterproductive.

Anyway, as far as tunnel vision goes, you really should break that habit on the Guardian. If nothing else, you'll need to keep an eye out for inductions that need to be interrupted. And if you plan on doing a lot of tanking, you'll need to be able to pay attention to positioning (both your own and the mob that you are tanking), as well as looking for any adds you may need to pick up.

And I recommend putting the block response skills and the parry response skills on separate hotbars. For example, I have block response skills set to Alt-1 through -5, parry response skills to Shift-1 through -5. Easier to see that way and keeps things more orderly.

Awesome advice. Thank you very much.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I got this game, made my account and installed it.

Every time I try to boot it up (I pick a world and press play) I get the error message: game error [201].
    After googling, there's a few fixes for it but I still can't get it working. I opened up a ticket to their tech support, but it being Christmas...I don't like my odds of getting a reply any time soon.

Anyone else had any problems like this on Windows 7?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I got this game for Christmas, after loving it from the free trial.

Jormungthir, level 14 Runekeeper on Landroval :D

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »

Every time I try to boot it up (I pick a world and press play) I get the error message: game error [201].
    After googling, there's a few fixes for it but I still can't get it working. I opened up a ticket to their tech support, but it being Christmas...I don't like my odds of getting a reply any time soon.

I can't remember if I had this exact issues on the Win 7 RC (haven't booted up my second comp in a long time), but I think I solved a lot of lotro-related headaches by installing to somewhere other than the program files folder. Where's your current install located now?

flammiebc on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »

I can't remember if I had this exact issues on the Win 7 RC (haven't booted up my second comp in a long time), but I think I solved a lot of lotro-related headaches by installing to somewhere other than the program files folder. Where's your current install located now?
    I tried D program files, then C program files. Currently reinstalling to D program files so, hypothetically, I could fix the problem with it on the harddrive I wanted it on.

Ok, I'll try your suggestion though. :)

Edit: Update: No dice. Same error. URG. I'm this close to installing a second operating system just to get this thing to work. What's sad is that I got it to work on my Vista install which means it's got to a Windows 7 thing.

Double edit: Looks like there's a file I can download that specifically deals with this kind of problem in Windows 7, unfortunately it's 500mb so I'm going to have to wait for a few hours before the second half of my bandwidth kicks in.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Unlucky: this might be of interest/help to you.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=298547

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Unlucky: this might be of interest/help to you.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=298547
    Aye, all ready been on that thread\forum but what the hell, might as well post my problem and see if I get any results.

Thanks. :)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ugh bk13 is such bullshit, I keep running back and forth between the chief and the seer who are conveniently placed at 2 different sides of forochel.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So yeah. Working on undying title, figure I might as well get it, ya know. Hit 10, quit for the day, come back last night, start doing quests in Combe or whatever... one of the quests is to get a bag next to some bandits. Yeah, that didn't end well. 5 linked on me and I just couldn't survive.

So, started over again and am now level 10 again. Yay. When do you get the cosmetic armor slots? I have that great hat from the intro but it's armor is pretty low. My captain has a "Captain Morgan" look going on that I want to keep. ;)

Edit: Of course, I'm on Nimrodel to play with my IRL friend who... doesn't play anymore. So maybe it's time to re-reroll on Landroval.

KiTA on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    So yeah. Working on undying title, figure I might as well get it, ya know. Hit 10, quit for the day, come back last night, start doing quests in Combe or whatever... one of the quests is to get a bag next to some bandits. Yeah, that didn't end well. 5 linked on me and I just couldn't survive.

So, started over again and am now level 10 again. Yay. When do you get the cosmetic armor slots? I have that great hat from the intro but it's armor is pretty low. My captain has a "Captain Morgan" look going on that I want to keep. ;)

Edit: Of course, I'm on Nimrodel to play with my IRL friend who... doesn't play anymore. So maybe it's time to re-reroll on Landroval.

Lol that same quest got my Burglar - but I just said 'eh fuck it' and kept going.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fashion is lev20 IIRC. Undying is so not worth the hassle, I like titles like "Diplomat" "Librarian" "Tower Ascender" "Vegetarian" Pork Chopper"or "Lord of Fangs" much better.

So I just finished bk13 thanks to the fine folks of Pipe Weed Smokers and am now on ch3 of bk14, that's the last book of volume 1 and I know I'm gonna get a free horse from one of those quests. The storyline is sufficiently epic, by the way. Lots of sad elves, brave men, merry hobbits and grumpy dwarves just like one expects from Lord of the Rings.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Are there server transfers in LOTRO, btw?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, $25 per char, apparently not instant transfer though ala WOW, takes up to 1-2 weeks (see http://www.lotro.com/component/content/article/378-world-character-transfer-faq) for details).

flammiebc on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, $25 per char, apparently not instant transfer though ala WOW, takes up to 1-2 weeks (see http://www.lotro.com/component/content/article/378-world-character-transfer-faq) for details).

So in theory, if I played on Landroval, my buddy could move over later? Interesting. Are there many PA folks still playing on Landroval?

What about moving characters between accounts? My friend created a character using my account, if he gets his own, does he have to start over?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    He has to start over.

Unless the US version is completely different from the EU one.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Fashion is lev20 IIRC. Undying is so not worth the hassle, I like titles like "Diplomat" "Librarian" "Tower Ascender" "Vegetarian" Pork Chopper"or "Lord of Fangs" much better.

So I just finished bk13 thanks to the fine folks of Pipe Weed Smokers and am now on ch3 of bk14, that's the last book of volume 1 and I know I'm gonna get a free horse from one of those quests. The storyline is sufficiently epic, by the way. Lots of sad elves, brave men, merry hobbits and grumpy dwarves just like one expects from Lord of the Rings.

You get access to the cosmetic panel at level 20, but once one of your characters hits 20, all your characters have access to it.

Book 15 is the last of volume 1. You get your horse at the very end.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

So in theory, if I played on Landroval, my buddy could move over later? Interesting. Are there many PA folks still playing on Landroval?

What about moving characters between accounts? My friend created a character using my account, if he gets his own, does he have to start over?

Yeah, people are still playing on Landroval; why just the other day, I had to use the scroll bar to see how many people were on there were so many people. In reality it tends to vary, I think we've got at least 10 active people playing at various times.

Just remember to do the PA channel thing in the first post.

Cobell on
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

If you're only around lvl 10 or so, I wouldn't bother with a transfer -- once you get the hang of the intro and first post-intro area, it should take under 2 hours to get a new guy to level 10. I've already started back on Landroval (had been playing Nimrodel), and in just a couple of weeks have a full complement of 9 characters all between 13 and 20. And that's with restarting a couple of them in search of the Undying title, keeping my crafting up, and not playing every day.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Glornt wrote: »

If you're only around lvl 10 or so, I wouldn't bother with a transfer -- once you get the hang of the intro and first post-intro area, it should take under 2 hours to get a new guy to level 10. I've already started back on Landroval (had been playing Nimrodel), and in just a couple of weeks have a full complement of 9 characters all between 13 and 20. And that's with restarting a couple of them in search of the Undying title, keeping my crafting up, and not playing every day.

I was thinking more along the lines of telling my L60 friend to move to Landroval instead. ;)

KiTA on
This discussion has been closed.