As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spiralkicking NSFW

• Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Amber Blade Jones?

That name is almost as awesome as your work. Almost.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ikage wrote: »
    SHUN ME.

Shun you?

I... I think I love you. ;-)

Anyway, I'm trying to find some critiques because I love critiqueing people who are much better than I but... I haven't found anything that you haven't seemed to notice and fix on your own (it seems like in a few of your first ones posted here, the characters were stylish but their structures (muscles/bones) were off. But after the first couple things just got better and better and....

I'll be more constructive once my eyeballs stop gasping for air (in a good way)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wowzers!

This is sick awesome!

Love the cave story art.

What is your story? Tell me!
    Do you enjoy creepy internet stalkers? Cuz you just won my heart.

PROX on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    IDK

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there's no point in me drawing anything anymore

you've done everything I wanted to

wait! no!

I still have my robots!

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    IDK

Ikage on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah like yore cullers and yer renderin's.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    IDK

Ikage on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love how carefully you draw clothes

edit: along with everything else

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd let those guns shoot me any day. :^:

botp'd
    Ikage wrote: »
    Im awake i'm awake. Most of these were drawn at Niko's Paintchat.

monsters.gif
    1247739660satougakihowl.jpg

Gun designs for a comic me and Nubba are doing.
    fwaaugh.jpg
    featherheads.gif
    blades.gif
    danceh.jpg
    29716758.jpg
    praticeo2.jpg

Characters based off a sticker set Celesse gave me-
    nilli-1.gif
    berri.gif
    coco-1.gif
    Untitled-2-5.jpg

Work stuff
    Untitled-14.jpg

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    TheBaronessTheBaroness Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    kick ass work you got here mate. I love some of the creature designs!

TheBaroness on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Linework is simply amazing.

The painting could use a little more hard shadow.

Tam on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love the character designs :D Especially creepy dude with the tongues. So good.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    nice gunzozapatriots

where you work again? NC Soft?

PROX on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love you

drawing
    i love..
    when you draw...
    ...pictures

RubberAC on
  • Options
    PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddamn it. I thought I was going to come in and hate all of this. I had my Internet hate machine all cranked up and ready to start spewing malice. I saw the name and thought "Oh, it's just another terrible weeaboo "artist" that thinks he can draw." But then I went down and starting with the linework on the ForkGuy trees and I melted. It's like you dip your pen in magic and just outline these wonderful creatures. It's like one of the FF concept artists had sex with Guillermo Del Toro and this was their progeny.

Just...hot damn.

Also, I salute your proclamation of love to monsters/titties and combinations thereof. These, I too enjoy.

Phthano on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All of my thumbs are up.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    IDK

Ikage on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fantabulash indeed.

Seriously I am sitting here thinking "dammit" and wondering why I am not drawing everything all the time. Really nice work, yo. Keep 'em coming! :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    S-s-s-shit dawg.

All of these are so wizard. The only problems I have with any of it is that 1: you have a really airbrushed style (stylistic choice, I prefer painterly) and 2: It's accentuated by the fact that you sacrifice good coloring and composition to maintain the detail of your drawings.

Other than that, I'm hooked. Keep at it.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    please tell me you're getting paid to do this

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh come on, that's just not fair!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ikage have you done any tutorials?

Tam on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i remember when i used to frequent TBL and we all referred to ikage as "this generation's yoshitaka amano"

i personally think she is better than him, but don't tell him i said so

mully on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    these are so wizard

Is this some sort of new slang? Because I'm going to start using it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh, it's something used in the game Spore. I loved it, so now I say it.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome work! Super imaginative, and nice execution! The street fighter collage was epic, can't wait to see more.

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow...
    First off hello and welcome, I am a little late to the party.

love all of it. While your digital stuff is crazy good, I am drawn (pun not intended, or was it) to your micron pen work (on a plane no less! any leakage issues?). It has a very old world look to it, with a level of detail that most people would lose the figure in but you don't over do. Very impressive.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Niko's artists are the best artists.

learntofly on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    these are so wizard

Is this some sort of new slang? Because I'm going to start using it.

Doesn't someone say "Wizard!" in The Phantom Menace? Anakin maybe?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The creatures on that last post are totally wizard.

Phthano on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Doesn't someone say "Wizard!" in The Phantom Menace? Anakin maybe?

As far as I know it's old English schoolboy slang - it comes up a lot in the adventures of Nigel Molesworth, where many a wheeze is qualified as being wizard.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hear "the wizard" all the time in the Idle Thumbs podcast.

I'm not sure if they started it or continued it though.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nothing but good stuff to say about your work, but I was just looking at your gun designs and was thinking that it might be awkward holding the skull gun with the a rib cage handle. It kind of looks visually awkward as well, but thats just one opinion. Really minor detail but its something to consider I guess.

BTW I used to see your work years ago when I was in high school, and am so glad to have come across it again. Still amazing, amazing stuff that never fails to inspire!

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Latern_Girl_by_Ikager.jpg

Finished just a few more concepts to go and I pretty much got all the characters done for a comic I'm doing with my partner.

Right now just been crazy busy trying to recover from Comicon. I have like 50 images to do before the end of September for a Boardgame im working on for Bucephalus/Catalyst games.

Also finishing up my submission for the Terrible Yellow Eyes- http://www.terribleyelloweyes.com/
    Doing it traditional pencils going to scan it in before futzing with watercolors. But Todd Lockwood advised me to try them when I bugged him at SDCC with my portfolio. It was amazing. I pretty much have a new job now, can't say what but I'm getting into bigger game and it's in the comic industry.

Portfolio Reviews- DO THEM. There not as helpful critically as taking your portfolio to an artist and showing it but they do help with the job hunting and networking. Majorly getting your name known.

Artist Reviews- These guys don't pull punches. Todd Lockwood wants me to work on my composition and study everything around me. Also wants me to try to head back to my traditional work and try watercolor with my strong lines. Richard Whitters of Wizards of the Coast pretty much said the same thing last year. And wants me to start sending stuff to him. Yes I'm going to be email buddies with Todd Lockwood. AHHHH SO EXCITED.

Then Derek Monster( he works for Pixar )- Oh man this guy tore me down but in a GOOD way. He basically just said I'm missing all the core foundations you find you learn in school. Anatomy, Composition, Color theory. I lacked all this and you can see it. Everyone says I have raw talent and the love for art is evidently there. But...BUT I am lacking in everything VITAL to being a good artist. He wants me to work on what I'm weak at, I could be good at just settling for being a concept artist and that's it. But if I want to push myself, be GOOD. Then here's some things to do.

Besides the obvious COLLEGE. Learn anatomy through study. Draw mundane people doing mundane things. ALWAYS bring a sketchbook. Also do alot more study say like draw things around your room.

DON'T be afraid to draw bad. TOO many people get into the habit of just drawing what their good at and thats just it. You notice every artist is good just at ONE thing. Because they found what their comfortable with and just honed it as their trademark. DON'T DO THAT. Do things that are strange and uncomfortable for you and if it's hard all the better. Again don't be afraid to draw bad, don't be afraid to draw ugly or hate how it turns out. It shows your WEAK at it. And you need to work at it more to get that area more skillpoints.

Right now I'm going to pound down the foundations. Even though he said it's not the same learning on your own as it is going to school.

Also Derek Monster pointed out EXACTLY what I do. Alot of naturally talented people who don't go through the process of schooling and discipline of how to correctly composition a picture. Do this fun thing of over detailing to compensate for what they don't know. <
    This is me.

Todd Lockwood also pointed out how I over detail and need to know how to learn it as a tool. And how to use everything in the picture to hone on the star of the painting, which my details can help by learning how to utilize them with things in and out of focus. Also with composition and color theory. Like Todd Lockwood and Derek Monster each gave me like a 30-40 min. little class on how to improve my work and work like they do.

Also not to draw from pictures but to draw from life, theres alot you miss when you decide upon the former.

Also use lighting to my advantage. To help with the composition of paintings and focus more on the " star" of the painting.

Biggest most important thing. Be humble. Take your portfolios to big name guys like this to have your shit torn down to what you need to do. It's fucking healthy for you. These guys are in a business you want to be in, and with like most artists they want people to SUCCEED. Don't be afraid, because honestly the truth hurts. But it will help you so much more in the long run.

I already have low self-esteem so it always works for me, fuck yeaugh!

And now I have to ABUSE " thats so wizard" all the time now thank you.

Ikage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also oh man I'm going to geek out about jetpens selection of pencils and what not here.

tombow_eh-kur11_1.jpg

TOMBOW MONO-ZERO ERASERS. Get one if you do detailed pencilwork seriously.

ALSO THERE IS A FUCKING .2 MM PENCIL!?!?!

pentel_pg2-ad.jpg
    Buy it here.

Hi yes your bought.

Ikage on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i agree with the comment that you overdetail, seemingly to cover a lack of structure.
    particularly the pencil sketches on page three
    there are sketches there, which if you broke them down to their basics would not make any sense structurally. i'm looking in particular at the young girl with the... monster mouth on her crotch? with her arm seemingly up over her shoulder holding that big... sac on her back? i don't know what's happening there.
    the cat tree thing too is standing extremely awkwardly. like she's not standing, there's no way she's supporting herself on her feet in that picture, maybe on her root tails or something? i dunno.
    also the dude with the scarves has some mega long legs.

people here seem to be enthralled by the details, and i'm sure a lot of people are, people love details, but as you saw, it doesn't fool the big dudes, and those are the ones you really want to impress ;)

beavotron on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That makes sense then why when I saw those portraits you drew last page they all felt just horribly off somehow uhhhh but thats all, to many words make me confuse people

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just erased about a paragraph of drunken ranting, but in conclusion I'd like to say this: Your work is amazing, and I'm glad you didn't let a few negative reviews break your spirit. Keep on keepin on!

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I know my anatomy and portraits are god awful. I really need to pick up some books about them but really start more life study. When I move to San Diego I plan on enrolling in some classes.

Just my problem is when I start drawing I DONT want to stop on a picture. I want to put all my heart into it and just ffffffh. Just overwork it until its a pile of details sadly.

Hahah though all those pencils were from year 2002. When I was like......18-19ish.

And yogurt thats the only way you can learn is be receptive and try and pass on what you learn. I'm seriously debating college at this point but ahh.
    I really have to seriously learn the basics quick before I do this boardgame I'm doing for Catalyst games.

evilkitty.png
    soamazing.gif
    givingtheevileye.gif

My figure is being made on Patch Together now I'm pretty ecstatic. It was always such a simple design but I'm glad people like it.

Ikage on