Options

Heresies that may also be Dark

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the upcoming "Ascension" supplement has been confirmed to upgrade your Dark Heresy characters to Rogue Trader-level, with the Inquisitor being a direct member of your party. So you'll be part of his personal retinue, possibly with a PC controlling the Inquisitor, even.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After my current DND campaign is over, I am going to try so hard to get my group to try Dark Heresy. 4 of the 6 of us play 40k already.. and it shouldn't be too hard to convince my girlfriend to try it.. So that just leaves one guy... And he's the guy that isn't allowed to use Howling Strike unless he actually howls and throws his arms in the air like he's brandishing his axe... I'm think he should be an easy sell :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DH does require a different mentality than D&D, in that characters are significantly more fragile. Less "glorious victory" and more "glorious death".

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When I started playing DH, our GM advised us not to bother writing elaborate back stories for the first few weeks, just in case it was a waste of time :D

We almost lost a Psyker to friendly fire, a Guardsman (drafted in while the Psyker was healing for a session) fell to Dark Eldar bodyguards, and a Scum was hounded out of the party for accidentally revealing he'd picked up a Psy level due to a mutation.

If you can deal with seeing your lovingly-crafted avatars of death/espionage/research reduced to an entry on the Critical Wounds table, it's an amazing game.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    DH does require a different mentality than D&D, in that characters are significantly more fragile. Less "glorious victory" and more "glorious death".

Yep.

Dark Heresy does not have dungeons, or loot. You don't win fame and fortune, you didn't meet in a tavern, and you don't go to town after a successful session to buy new magic items.

That being said, DH is my favorite table top RPG. It is about critical thinking, investigation, and extremely deadly combat, (anyone can potentially die in a single shot) , but in that order. Even the 'brute' characters like guardsmen have to use their out of combat skills to keep the team alive just as much as their in-combat abilities.

SJ on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you like the DH concept, try Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, same stuff with more traditional tropes. A bit easier to transfer to from classic D&D then the GrimDarkFuture of DH.

Verr on
  • Options
    DrakeRaidsDrakeRaids Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Both Warhammer Fantasy and Dark Heresy are good, I'm a bit more fond of DH as its MUCH more liner than WFR (And I just like 40k more, so sue me). I've run through a scenrio's of both, and both are fun. Scum Gunslinger is my fav at the moment, once you get a few ranks you can pull off moves that put Neo to shame.

DrakeRaids on
    Thought of the Week: Incoming Fire has the right of way
    ~III ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING III~
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, given that there was only 2 characters to start in my game, I was VERY lenient on the rules/rolls. But if I had a full party (4-6 players) I wouldn't hold back.

DH reminds me of a cross between Shadowrun and Conspiracy X for some reason now that I think about it.
    Except in a vast grimdark setting.

Anyone else picked up Tatted Fates (part 1 of Haarlock's Legacy)? I felt it was a bit of rip-off by the price and how small it is but it's an interesting adventure.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's a pretty awesome adventure, after reading through it. I look forward to some of my PCs making mistakes and getting killed in it.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nothing beats, as a DH GM, handing out commendations to PC's who execute other PC's that gain mutations. :twisted:

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Absolutely what I want... Though, the group didn't seem that excited about it tonight. Oh well... I have my dreams :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nax wrote: »

Absolutely what I want... Though, the group didn't seem that excited about it tonight. Oh well... I have my dreams :P

Honestly the PCs, as long as they're smart, shouldn't be pushovers. Simply because of the fact that they can start with automatic weaponry.

My experience with DH is that dumb/unprepared PCs die fast, but that's about it for the most part.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Honestly the PCs, as long as they're smart, shouldn't be pushovers. Simply because of the fact that they can start with automatic weaponry.

My experience with DH is that dumb/unprepared PCs die fast, but that's about it for the most part.

Unless your DM is effing sadistic. My first mission put us up against a Lord of Change. We lost half the party, and then the Genestealer mission.....

*Shudders*

DrakeRaids on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I'm tempted to do turn my character in my two-man game into either a Radical or slowly succumb to the Warp to see what my brother/player would do. I need to start putting down some subtle clues that he's starting to turn. Maybe even some latent psyker abilities.

Though he got to being an Acolyte without sanctioning would be some fridge logic.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright, so about a year and a half ago on these boards, right before DH was released, I saw a lot of people pumped about this RPG. I decided, based on how much I liked the setting, to purchase the core rulebook. I knew that I would never get a chance outside these boards to play it cause my friends are lame and don't have imaginations (and I'm lame and can't come up with a decent campaign). Well interest seemed to be lost on these boards and I put my book up. Now I find this thread and I dust off my book hoping that someone would put up a PbP game, and well I'm a bit saddened. :(

If anyone is willing to DM a PbP game, let me know. I will definitely join. I really want to give this another try.

I won't be able to Skype. My PC is fried and I lack the money to fix it. I'm using my PS3 as my primary means for internet at home.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Alright, so about a year and a half ago on these boards, right before DH was released, I saw a lot of people pumped about this RPG. I decided, based on how much I liked the setting, to purchase the core rulebook. I knew that I would never get a chance outside these boards to play it cause my friends are lame and don't have imaginations (and I'm lame and can't come up with a decent campaign). Well interest seemed to be lost on these boards and I put my book up. Now I find this thread and I dust off my book hoping that someone would put up a PbP game, and well I'm a bit saddened. :(

If anyone is willing to DM a PbP game, let me know. I will definitely join. I really want to give this another try.

I won't be able to Skype. My PC is fried and I lack the money to fix it. I'm using my PS3 as my primary means for internet at home.

I put up an interest check of sorts for a pbp game awhile ago and only like 3 people said they'd play. :/

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorry Arivia, I must have missed it. I kind of stopped checking CF mainboards because all you see are Phalla threads and DnD 4 Ed threads. Sometimes hard to spot that "gem" thread you're looking for. If those other 3 are still interested, we should have enough. DM + 4 PCs. Sounds good to me, I guess.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There was actually a PbP game that was started awhile back... it only went for a few pages before the players lost interest, I guess...

I'd really love to get some PbP gaming going, but there are hundreds of people posting in interest threads for DND4e, it seems... Its just pretty overwhelming and I feel like I'll never actually get into a game :/

I will go out of my way to buy the DH book and learn though, if someone wants to start a DH game

Nax on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Sorry Arivia, I must have missed it. I kind of stopped checking CF mainboards because all you see are Phalla threads and DnD 4 Ed threads. Sometimes hard to spot that "gem" thread you're looking for. If those other 3 are still interested, we should have enough. DM + 4 PCs. Sounds good to me, I guess.

The issue is that it was part of a survey for what I should run next and something else won out (4e D&D, rather unsurprisingly.) I don't know if I can do an extra game on top of the 3 I'm already running. I'll think about it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DrakeRaids wrote: »
    My first mission put us up against a Lord of Change.

that seems... extremely ridiculous, considering minor daemons like Bloodletters show up in the DH rulebook and are dangerous enough to carve apart a theoretically limitless number of first-level PCs without suffering harm

also I'd totally play in a PbP DH game although I've never RPGed on a forum before

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There was actually a PbP game that was started awhile back... it only went for a few pages before the players lost interest, I guess...
    Some of the players lost interest. I was one of the others who was rather annoyed at them.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ennmacennmac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know I don't post much, but I love DH and would be up for a pbp game.

ennmac on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If no one else pops up saying they'll run a game in the next 24 hours or so, I'll throw up a recruitment/interest thread, with the caveat that I'm busy enough as is and this would honestly be first on my list of things to drop. However, if that does become the case I'll hand my notes over to someone else.

Edit: Or if no one's interested. :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone else seen the warmhammer 40k fan movie thing?

I kinda dug it.

Got me in the mood for this.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    DrakeRaids wrote: »
    My first mission put us up against a Lord of Change.

that seems... extremely ridiculous, considering minor daemons like Bloodletters show up in the DH rulebook and are dangerous enough to carve apart a theoretically limitless number of first-level PCs without suffering harm

also I'd totally play in a PbP DH game although I've never RPGed on a forum before

It happened largely because are crew eff'd up the mission REALLY badly so I can't blame him. As in did every possible thing wrong. Shouldn't have shot the stupid preist. Anyway I don't think he even made stats for it besides "You lose." We just had to surivive until a D.E.M showed up.

DrakeRaids on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd be interested in finally getting to play this game, Arivqa.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Some of the players lost interest. I was one of the others who was rather annoyed at them.

It was a shame, really.. I rather enjoyed reading it. Never really became clear what happened in the game thread, so I didn't really know what happened. Wasn't laying the blame anywhere, I just didn't know :P

Nax on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd play a DH game here.What Ordos would we be doing?

DrakeRaids on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Anyone else seen the warmhammer 40k fan movie thing?

I kinda dug it.

Got me in the mood for this.

I just wanted fucking subtitles.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DH is rough to run PbP, especially during combat. I'd highly recommend using MapTools or something similar.

delroland on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DH is rough to run PbP, especially during combat. I'd highly recommend using MapTools or something similar.

It's got a very old-school '20 questions with a 10-foot pole' optimal playstyle to it, I've realized after a 6-month pen & paper campaign with multiple one-shots, plus 2 PBP sessions. The characters are created randomly and developed from very weak to very powerful in power and prestige; The GM is afforded a lot of leeway in difficulty numbers, challenges, and rules options; the PCs' skills are narrowly-defined, few in number and low in success rate, making the best options lie in 'thinking around' obstacles and social situations than abstractly beating them with character abilities. The premise of adventures relies upon the PCs not being in charge, but they're rewarded for doing their 'job', and scaled by how much gets done, rather than dealing with obstacles. I haven't played or run it with this full frame of mind, but my first 'sloppy' IRL session was pretty close and dealt with the thin & gritty WHRP system in an engaging manner, in retrospect.

Whereas D&D 4e has a very structured foundation of skills, options, DCs, and both player and PC power that makes PBP much easier for the GM to setup each scene/round with quantitative info and simply let the players narrate and resolve their reactions and simply wait for the next round/scene cycle.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, if you don't mind throwing out the movement rules. DH has very short rounds, even moreso than 4E, so if someone can't post for a day or two, combat will slow to a crawl. "Run ten feet and shoot once," is a round.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would totally be up for a DH game.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, if you don't mind throwing out the movement rules. DH has very short rounds, even moreso than 4E, so if someone can't post for a day or two, combat will slow to a crawl. "Run ten feet and shoot once," is a round.

It happens; fact of life with pbp and all.

@Verr: But would you want to run one? No. Okay, I'll start working on the OP I guess.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would totally run one if I wasn't starting uni again in 2-3 weeks. In fact, I probably shouldn't play one.

But seriously, don't let us pressure you into running something you don't want to. It's no fun to GM if everyone's having fun except you. I run a WHF game IRL, and it's enough of a stress. I wouldn't dare run as many games as you are. D:

Madness.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    I would totally run one if I wasn't starting uni again in 2-3 weeks.

Me too! Not sure, still thinking, etc.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Ehh, you didn't have a lot to do in an old D&D turn either. But ultimately, in PBP a turn is a turn; 'I draw my rifle and crouch' doesn't make make the next person post quicker than 'I set about building 20 magic crossbows and search the town recruiting hirelings and equipping and training them in their use'. You'll still only get one set of turns from everybody per day as long as they're not online & posting during the same several-hour timeframe.

It's the number of turns you have to make to finish a challenge that slows things down. What makes Dark Heresy less smooth in PBP (or just really light and finnicky) is the amount of deliberation among the party and clarification from the GM outside of combat. You can structure 4e into skill challenges where everyone makes a decent attempt at using their skills to beat it and move to the next player; DH ideally needs lots of back & forth conversation because they can't reliably 'solve' a trap or avoid a monster without talking a party agreement.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    It's the number of turns you have to make to finish a challenge that slows things down. What makes Dark Heresy less smooth in PBP (or just really light and finnicky) is the amount of deliberation among the party and clarification from the GM outside of combat. You can structure 4e into skill challenges where everyone makes a decent attempt at using their skills to beat it and move to the next player; DH ideally needs lots of back & forth conversation because they can't reliably 'solve' a trap or avoid a monster without talking a party agreement.

And that's my point: that DH is better suited to play-by-chat, as it more easily accomodates that style of back-and-forth gameplay.

delroland on
  • Options
    monkeylordmonkeylord Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So glad I found this thread (where were you a week ago:x), I'm relatively new to the game but I would be totally up for a play-by-chat or even a pbp, although I don't think it would work well for reasons pointed out above. Has anyone stepped up for GM yet?

monkeylord on
    PSN: Devymetal
    Starcraft 2: Dangerbomb (889)
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also interested in play-by-chat/ openrpg/ rptools/something other than PBP. Any group forming for this?

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric