As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] '09 Preview of Fall Anime is the fall of anime.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i have the moral high ground waiting for crunchyroll :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I would be a lot more upset if I actually cared about Wolverine, or Marvel comics in general.

Instead all of these reactions are hilarious.

Godfather on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think I would be a lot more upset if I actually cared about Wolverine, or Marvel comics in general.

That's pretty much what a friend said. And I mean, I'm not a diehard fan of Wolverine. But when I heard "anime Wolverine" I was expecting his general Marvel look, only, y'know, anime. Instead it's basically like a totally new person who has the same powers and the claws. And that's where my issue of contention is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    But I have the Saki high ground. =X

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    But I have the Saki high ground. =X
    Nah, I think Haramura has the Saki high ground. Since she has to most of it. Ground, I mean. By that I mean ground to cover. Huge tracts of land. On her chest. From her boobies.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

That's pretty much what a friend said. And I mean, I'm not a diehard fan of Wolverine. But when I heard "anime Wolverine" I was expecting his general Marvel look, only, y'know, anime. Instead it's basically like a totally new person who has the same powers and the claws. And that's where my issue of contention is.

I just think it's hilarious at how bad their aim was.

Anime fans, for the most part, hate american comics. I'm not talking about the ones here at PA, i'm describing the audience in general; everything from the characters to the set-ups to the stories.

So you would think that Marvel would try and aim their sights on their own audience.

But since they just wanted it "anime", and didn't actually do some fucking research on what their audience wanted, both sides of the spectrum are pissed off.

It's a riot.

Godfather on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It makes me wonder when we'll see western adaptations of anime or manga.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Anime fans, for the most part, hate american comics. I'm not talking about the ones here at PA, i'm describing the audience in general; everything from the characters to the set-ups to the stories.

So you would think that Marvel would try and aim their sights on their own audience.

But since they just wanted it "anime", and didn't actually do some fucking research on what their audience wanted, both sides of the spectrum are pissed off.

It's a riot.

I continue to blame the Japanese for their poor design sensibilities

We don't know how good the writing will be and that's what Marvel is in charge of

Unless they outsourced that to the Japanese in which case fuck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You mean like this

Or this

Or perhaps [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8lhXDGU01Y]this[/vidurl]

Or maybe even this!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Marvel should have laid some ground rules for this one. It's their money, they can do whatever the fuck they want. I'm sure the studio had to have sent some character design sheets to Marvel, and i'm pretty sure they just let it slide, because hey, it's from japan, the audience will gobble that shit up.

Everything about that trailer was aimed towards an eastern audience. Everything.

But that crowd is going to automatically hate it from the get-go, and they'll bitch about how the studio is just trying too damn hard to fit in, and it'll falls flat on it's face.

I just can't believe why they didn't target this entire thing with NA in mind. Why not a style like Samurai Champloo or Afro Samurai? That's the kind of gritty one would want for this kind of thing.

Godfather on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Also, about the Wolverine trailer:
    2vdicf5.jpg

THEY DO NOT WORK THIS WAY.

Let's not forget he doesn't fucking look like Wolverine at all. This is an example of creative liberties being a fucking bad thing.
    Well, keep in mind that these two Anime series/OVAs/movies are being handled like the Indian Spider-Man or old sentai Japanese Spider-Man. They're re-imaginings based around the culture they're made in. They're not like the Bat-Man shorts. At least that's what I heard what Marvel was letting Madhouse do with those two.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

You mean like this

Or this

Or maybe even this!

Or. you know.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Have any giant robots ever appeared in the Ironman comics? Or is it strictly man-sized robots/powersuits.
    Well, there are What Ifs and one-shots where Stark actually pilots western style giant robots.

In proper 616 continuity, I think it's just Sentinels. Not sure if any appear in his comics, though.
    There IS that shitty Mangaverse(?) one that suspiciously looks like it was done by Liefeld. It was Iron Man piloting what looked like the GP03 Dendrobium Orchis from Gundam 0083, firing at Godzilla-Hulk.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You mean like this

Or this

Or maybe even this!

I didn't mean live action.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You mean like this

Or this

Or maybe even this!

I didn't mean live action.

You said western, those are western

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You mean like this

Or this

Or maybe even this!

Or. you know.

MY EYES!

Godfather on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's a riot.

Really? I originally became interested in anime because it reminded me of a comic book.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like everything so I'd like to be kept out of the stereotype slinging. Just thought I'd mention.
    I don't define myself by "anime fan" it's just one thing I like amongst many.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Really? I originally became interested in anime because it reminded me of a comic book.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My gf is the same, she doesn't read, post or care about PA.

I also used to live with a couple of guys who also liked everything.

I think the stereotype has little grounding. It's all based on actionsthat pop up easiest in memory and those who speak loudest, which doesn't indicate anything except you've remembered the most salient thing and don't notice those who don't speak.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You appear to assume only PA'ers have varied tastes.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I would hate to be known as an "anime fan"

I mean I would dislike being considered any one thing, but that would be one of the worst things

So many negative stereotypes associated with that term, and most of them true

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah everybody knows Olivaw is a "Closet Lolicon" anyway.

:P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah everybody knows Olivaw is a "Closet Lolicon" anyway.

:P

I will kill you and no one will find the body

Not even your psych professor

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

No, really, you need to go out and see/meet the people I have.

Drop one mention of american properties and they back right the hell up. I've heard tirades like you wouldn't believe bashing this stuff. I understand if it's not your cup of tea, but for God's sake keep it to yourself and shut up about it.

If said person goes to conventions and actually dresses up, watch out. You'll be there for hours listening to this shit.

I'm kind of bitter about it, because i'm stuck in an extremely small art school in Toronto with that kind of community, and I can't get away from it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Watching Saki 17, is there anyone in this show who is not a lesbian?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

No, really, you need to go out and see/meet the people I have.

Drop one mention of american properties and they back right the hell up. I've heard tirades like you wouldn't believe bashing this stuff. I understand if it's not your cup of tea, but for God's sake keep it to yourself and shut up about it.

If said person goes to conventions and actually dresses up, watch out. You'll be there for hours listening to this shit.

I'm kind of bitter about it, because i'm stuck in an extremely small art school in Toronto with that kind of community, and I can't get away from it.

Anecdotal evidence is totally representative of all people ever

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I mean I would dislike being considered any one thing, but that would be one of the worst things

I would argue against that, but then I remembered all the crazy people I've met at anime conventions.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, i'm not making this shit up.

Believe what you want I guess.

EDIT: Goatmon posted this gem in the SE++ youtube thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5gmJaAXFA

Conan and Andy Richter doing voice overs for Japanese animation!

Godfather on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah. I actually caught it on TV.
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Watching Saki 17, is there anyone in this show who is not a lesbian?
    A good chunk of the VAs come from Maramite, so...

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Since Pikapuff thought it was an AWESOME idea to put my name in the thread title, let's just say I'm known to flip out so badly if someone call me that. Seriously, say I got some anime, say I watch the occasional one too, but don't call me that. Way too many extremely bad connotations, as you said.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    EDIT: Goatmon posted this gem in the SE++ youtube thread

snip
    Conan and Andy Richter doing voice overs for Japanese animation!

Hahahaha, that is gold!
    MMMMMANGAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    EVA 1.11 in 720p...

so beautiful

Falx on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's a riot.

We don't know how good the writing will be and that's what Marvel is in charge of

IIRC Warren Ellis is writing.

So I'm not really worried about the writing at all.

Even if the trailer looks a bit shoddy, I'll still give the Wolverine anime a shot because of that.

As far as anecdotal evidence about anime and western comics goes, almost all of the anime fans I know IRL also like western comics. I guess I just make friends with people that have good taste or something! (And even the ones that don't like them don't hate them, it's more along the lines of it's not their cup of tea, I could still get them to give stuff like Watchmen a shot)

I think the stereotype has little grounding. It's all based on actionsthat pop up easiest in memory and those who speak loudest, which doesn't indicate anything except you've remembered the most salient thing and don't notice those who don't speak.

Agreed.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, Sayonara Zetssubububaoizhlka Sensai had me worried that I might actually be a weeaboo.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That Conan clip has left me in despair.

Henroid on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm caught up on the Marvel and Halo anime. Anything else I'm missing? I'm so out of touch lately.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

It's a riot.

IIRC Warren Ellis is writing.

So I'm not really worried about the writing at all.

Even if the trailer looks a bit shoddy, I'll still give the Wolverine anime a shot because of that.

As far as anecdotal evidence about anime and western comics goes, almost all of the anime fans I know IRL also like western comics. I guess I just make friends with people that have good taste or something! (And even the ones that don't like them don't hate them, it's more along the lines of it's not their cup of tea, I could still get them to give stuff like Watchmen a shot)

Agreed.

It's pretty much exactly the same for me. Generally if I sit someone down in front of something that looks 'badass' enough, they'll be happy to watch it in my experience.

I dunno, maybe the rest of you guys need to find some cooler people to hang out with.

Clayton Bigsby on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    So I'm caught up on the Marvel and Halo anime. Anything else I'm missing? I'm so out of touch lately.

Check my sig for the only real big news.

Also don't watch School Days.

Or read Shadow Star.

Also, register on myanimelist.net so that we may judge you.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was going to make a corresponding sig to my avatar, but I realized the source wasn't kosher (nsfw).

But it looked sooooooo good.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.