As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] '09 Preview of Fall Anime is the fall of anime.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    So I'm caught up on the Marvel and Halo anime. Anything else I'm missing? I'm so out of touch lately.

Check my sig for the only real big news.

Also don't watch School Days.

Or read Shadow Star.

Also, register on myanimelist.net so that we may judge you.

Note that said big news WILL leave you in despair. Also be a rebel, don't get a myanimelist! :D

Watching more Saki later this day. I NEED MAH MAHJONG FIX!

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    So I'm caught up on the Marvel and Halo anime. Anything else I'm missing? I'm so out of touch lately.

The new Miyazaki movie is out in Japan, and it's being released in the US next month (August 14th in limited release).

First Squad should be out soonish, I believe it's been showing at some film festivals.

The first two Eva remake movies are out.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Death Note. (Yes, yes, I know, old as the hills blahblahblah whatever)
    Anime ending was lame. Manga ending was a whole lot better. Oh well. Otherwise a pretty faithful adaptation with totally, totally overblown scenes.

And Near is awesome.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    EDIT: Goatmon posted this gem in the SE++ youtube thread

snip
    Conan and Andy Richter doing voice overs for Japanese animation!

Hahahaha, that is gold!
    MMMMMANGAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    I wonder if they're going to put those on the DVD's as a special feature.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, what day does Funimation post new episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on their site?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thursday, I think.

Slicer on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Watching Saki 17, is there anyone in this show who is not a lesbian?
    Yes.
    Yuuki pretty heavily wants Kyou-chan to eat her taco.

Aside from that? Uh...

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Thursday, I think.

Yeah, Thursday.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Anime ending was lame. Manga ending was a whole lot better. Oh well. Otherwise a pretty faithful adaptation with totally, totally overblown scenes.

And Near is awesome.
    did you watch the live action movies yet fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

And Near is awesome.

Best thing to come out of the anime's ending

Warning: 2.7 meg gif.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

And Near is awesome.

Best thing to come out of the anime's ending

Warning: 2.7 meg gif.

Also a manga version.

And since we're at it, Death Note edits aren't complete without PARTY @ MY HOUSE and Candid Death Note, but I don't know where I stuck them on my disk.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OMG Those death note edits are awesome!

Also, Liar's game was a good recomendation. I need to read that when I get home.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's out there that's like Excel Saga and FLCL? I'm looking for something that's as random as Scrubs but also endearing, if you know what I mean.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    That Conan clip has left me in despair.

I felt bad for the fat guy who was asked to describe the plot of GITS. These guys will never be taken seriously if they don't have some fun explaining these shows to the general public.

"Sexy cyborg chick investigates a future city where a guy can possess the bodies of other cyborgs. Explosions, gunplay, and boobs are featured. Aw yeah."

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That Conan clip has left me in despair.

I felt bad for the fat guy who was asked to describe the plot of GITS. These guys will never be taken seriously if they don't have some fun explaining these shows to the general public.

"Sexy cyborg chick investigates a future city where a guy can possess the bodies of other cyborgs. Explosions, gunplay, and boobs are featured. Aw yeah."

He did need to punch it up a bit and explain it a little less in detail, but that would been terrible.

Really "future, cyborg CSI" would have done it well enough.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    While trying to catch up with the thread (oh god, it's impossible!), answer me this.

Too much manga?
    Not enough manga?
    img00036200907271345.jpg

And yes, that's a blue teddy bear in heart boxers on top. Wanna' fight about it?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should look at animenewsnetwork.com 's Shelf Life feature... they regularly have reader submissions with at least three times that amount of merchandise.

You still have a long way to go before you can feel guilty about the amount of stuff you have.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd be more concerned about the posters, honestly.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You have anime posters on your walls.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Yeah, i'm not making this shit up.

Believe what you want I guess.

EDIT: Goatmon posted this gem in the SE++ youtube thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5gmJaAXFA

Conan and Andy Richter doing voice overs for Japanese animation!

Glorious

That one guy explaining GitS did it wrong, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pata wrote: »

I can have whatever I want on my walls. Two My-Hime, one Nanoha, one Advent Children, one Ouran, one Negima, one Yu Yu Hakusho, one Inuyasha, one Death Note, one Gackt for wallscrolls. Then I have a couple paintings, some pictures, and a couple posters.

Edit: Stupid forums breaking down and making editing hard.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, <Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei> had me worried that I might actually be a weeaboo.

Some of us have decided to embrace and accept that side of us. Or is that more like giving in?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why would anyone put a poster of Advent Children on their wall

Do you wish to remain celibate

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gackt? o_O

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Huh, just realized what Taishou Yakyuu Musume was reminding me of. Sorta like Bamboo Blade, except with baseball, and set in a different time period.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

God, the apartment in California... one of our roomies had the bright fucking idea of decorating it with posters. Y'know, instead of portraits of family and friends and normal shit. Not just posters, wall scrolls. Of Dragon Ball Z. Fuck that looked awful.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I can have whatever I want on my walls. Two My-Hime, one Negima, one Advent Children, one Ouran, one Negima, one Yu Yu Hakusho, one Inuyasha, one Death Note, one Gackt for wallscrools. Then I have a couple paintings, some pictures, and a couple posters.

You can, but what we're saying is you're concerned about having too much manga (with the obvious subtext of 'how much is too much'), and we're pointing out that you've got posters on your walls of the stuff. If you enjoy it, go ahead, but posters have a much lower threshold of 'too much,' so to speak. If it's your thing, then by all means, but don't worry about having too much - just do what you enjoy. If you think you're too into it, then you probably want to start the reassessment on something else.

As for spending a lot of money on something, all hobbies are like that. You're at a gaming forum. Games cost $50 new. I could probably buy a brand new car with the money I've put into gaming over the years. But that's not the point - the point is the enjoyment you derive from your hobby.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Man, <Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei> had me worried that I might actually be a weeaboo.

Some of us have decided to embrace and accept that side of us. Or is that more like giving in?

I guess as long as I don't ignorantly declare Japan to be paradise or say Japanese shit outloud or written I'm in the clear. Plus I've managed to ween myself off writing out ^_^.

... FUCK.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ^____^

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I used to have some Eva posters and a wallscroll. I didn't put them back up after my last move.

Now I just have a map of the world (topographic side).

Didn't help my social life at all, though!

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I guess as long as I don't ignorantly declare Japan to be paradise or say Japanese shit outloud or written I'm in the clear. Plus I've managed to ween myself off writing out ^_^.

... FUCK.

My definition of a weeaboo has always been someone who doesn't just like Japanese stuff, but likes it because it's Japanese (or conversely, dislikes other stuff for not being Japanese). While he was around, Katchem Ash was the perfect example of this.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cantide wrote: »

... FUCK.

My definition of a weeaboo has always been someone who doesn't just like Japanese stuff, but likes it because it's Japanese (or conversely, dislikes other stuff for not being Japanese). While he was around, Katchem Ash was the perfect example of this.

Hahaha, I was part-way through reading your post and thought, "Okay, I'm going to reply that my definition is Katchem_ash." And you beat me to it. :^:

I fucking miss him for how irritating he was. It was like the punching bag bad-example of anime fan.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cantide wrote: »

... FUCK.

Exactly. The kind of terrible person that likes, say, Eyeshield 21, but doesn't actually like watching the NFL.

On the flip side, so long as people are only liking Japanese lolis and not going out and committing felonies, I think we're okay!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Exactly. The kind of terrible person that likes, say, Eyeshield 21, but doesn't actually like watching the NFL.
    What about liking Saki but not caring about Mahjong.

Or Ippo/boxing?

Or Suzuka/track?

That's a trick question. Nobody likes Suzuka.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Or Ippo/boxing?

Or Suzuka/track?

If you like Saki but don't care about/understand Mahjong, I'm going to assume you're just watching it for the school girls, yuri, and special effects.

Which is totally cool. Just so long as you're watching Saki. :^:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Or Ippo/boxing?

Or Suzuka/track?

I want to say that if someone likes Ippo but not boxing, it's somewhat understandable. Ippo over exaggerates it, obviously, especially in regard to boxers being able to read what's coming. But anyway.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm watching Pani Poni Dash. It's fucking amazing.

The same director is also responsible for Zetsubou Sensei and Nanoha and Maria Holic.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Canaan 4:
    More Alphard action. I can respect anybody who can kick ass in a dress like that. It's good that Maria snapped out of her depression within the episode. I've had quite enough of that in other anime. The next episode looks to be fun times with Chinese baito girl, so that's good I guess.

And we get to see Canaan's childhood! I've recently read about the connections between this anime and the 428 game. So I guess this flashback is a truncated version of the Type-MOON scenario in the game.

I have to say, the show remains very well animated. Even though the fight with Alphard was short, it had a real sense of movement to it. I like pausing the video and moving it frame by frame to catch the little details in these fights, and see how much choreography went into them. Hopefully we'll see longer, more elaborate brawls/gunfights in the future.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    While we're talking about Saki, ep3 watched, there was something about the anime that nagged me, and surprisingly it wasn't the obnoxious taco girl. Then it hit me.
    Simply said, too much focus on the results than the game itself. Classic journey/destination stuff here - it's good to have a proof of Saki's extreme skilluck by big hands and managing a bunch of zero plus-minus in a row, but I need more meat than that for sustenance. Here's hoping the Nationals bring us it.

Also LEGS, and I WILL BECOME THE TACO.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Or Ippo/boxing?

Or Suzuka/track?

I want to say that if someone likes Ippo but not boxing, it's somewhat understandable. Ippo over exaggerates it, obviously, especially in regard to boxers being able to read what's coming. But anyway.

Watching Ippo is like watching a highlight reel basically.

Lep on
This discussion has been closed.