As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pro Wrestling: RIP Captain Lou Albano

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shaq is such a great choice to host a Raw. If WWE is smart they will market the shit out of it because he could probably bring them one of the better ratings they've had in a while. He's a big funny, fun guy, he will do well with it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I imagine they would have gotten better ratings if they had pushed the fact that Seth Green was the first real celebrity host instead of having it be a surprise.
    It is just so odd that people will watch it.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Last nights raw felt like they really phoned it in. And the ZZ Top segments felt like they couldn't be bothered to show up so they just filmed them ahead of time and played them when the script called for it. At least Seth Green appeared in the ring.

Now Shaq could be fun. I could see him and MVP doing a quick fued to see whose the real MVP. Rassling vs Shaq-Fu!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I wanna see something like Khali vs. Shaq or a Shaq / Big Show run in. Shaq is one of the few guests they could get that would be anywhere near their size.

Or... Shaq vs. Hornswoggle.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heads up to all the Hurricane-fans.

Helms twittered that he would be in ECW tonight. Hopefully it's more than just a cameo.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lest we forget.

ddpleno.jpg

Nevar forget.

Gim on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Heads up to all the Hurricane-fans.

Helms twittered that he would be in ECW tonight. Hopefully it's more than just a cameo.

Hope to fucking god it's more than a minute

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of celebrities, as much as everyone hated David Arquette in WCW, knowing that he gave all the money he made to the families of Pillman and Hart makes me really respect him.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    David Arquette got a bad rap for that whole WCW World Champ thing. He didn't want to hold the title in the first place. I did like it when he turned heel and busted out the old "Do you know who I am?! I'm from Hollywood!" schtick.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hahaha man

Mike Williams

Bad night to be the jobber

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is this the start of a major feud between Kozlov and Mike Williams?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That would be great

Mike Williams can be Little Mac

Make him train under Mark Henry's old manager and wear a pink suit

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hahaha man

Mike Williams

Bad night to be the jobber

Pretty sure it's better than getting a faceful of worms

And that idea sounds so fucking awesome

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd love that, a random jobber keeps showing up to mess with big wrestlers.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nah that would never happen

You'd have to have tHHHor do it

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So do you suppose Shelton and Dustin give each other hair care advice.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sheamus says no Irish jigs for you

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sheamus says no Jigs for you. In a horrible Irish brogue.

Horrible.

Is that hurricane doing the interview?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Was that Sheamus theme playing in the background? I like it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gregory Helms, mild mannered reporter, yes

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I missed the name at first. Was talking about the bad brogue.

And Toshi needs, desperately, new music

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    YESSSSS

SHAW IS THE GUEST HOST

DIESEL V. BIG SHOW

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Who's the chick with Paul Burchill?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Katie Lea Burchill, his "sister"

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sister.....

Right.

Can you tell I dont watch ECW alot?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh jesus, not the Abraham Washington Show

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is this going to be as painful as I think it is?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The previous 2 were awful

so most likely yeah it will be

and these "Dreamer is fat" jokes are really fucking stupid

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is it just me, or is this guy trying to be a mix of Conan O'Brien and The Rock?

And wow.

Tommy Dreamer looks awesome in that suit.

Also, out of Christian/Edge/Jericho... Christian is the one that looks the best after all these years.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh, did I miss the Hurricane showing up at some point in this show?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    random interviewer spot.

I vaguely remember Christian being better on the mic than this.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No, just Helms interviewing Burchill

Well the end of the segment was alright, but jesus Abraham Washington is fucking horrible

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah....Abraham Washington needs to be hit with a brick. Or put in a CZW style match against Dreamer where staple guns and cheese graters are "weak" weapons.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I don't know if you guys read Jason Powell's "memo" to Dixie Carter following quite possibly the worst wrestling PPV in recent memory. Credits and kudos to Jason for pointing out the obvious in such a precise manner.
    Dear Dixie Carter,

The big story of the day isn't that your company produced another lousy pay-per-view on Sunday night. Frankly, it's so common that it's not even a story anymore when it happens. This show was exceptionally awful, but that's still not what has people talking.

Rather, everyone is buzzing about Jeff Jarrett "taking time off." Was it a suspension? Is it related to the Bubba The Love Sponge caller who claimed that Karen Angle has moved into Jeff's home? Is Kurt Angle making a power play for Jarrett's job?

As juicy as those questions are, Dixie, I'm more interested in whether you make the right move by finally pulling the plug on this dreadful creative team. I'm not just talking about removing Jarrett from power. He may have total control, but he's only part of the problem.

This company needs an enema. Nothing will change if you give creative control to Vince Russo or Dutch Mantel. I know you're proud of the ratings that Impact is drawing most weeks, but you're selling yourself short if you really believe that's the best the company can do. By the way, how awful are those pay-per-view buys these days? If creative is doing such a good job, then why are fewer people buying the pay-per-views each month?

I've come up with a simple change that will put the company on the right track creatively, save you money, and possibly improve the television ratings right from the start.

Hire Paul Heyman.

Sure, Dixie, you've probably heard he's the anti-Christ from some of your employees. Keep in mind that most of those people would be out of a job if you gave Heyman the type of power and control he would presumably require before even considering the gig.

Heyman won't come cheap, but I guarantee you could save a ton of money by paying his asking price and turning him loose. Let Heyman clean house of all the Jarrett cronies on the payroll, all the overpaid veterans who care about nothing more than cashing their paychecks, and, of course, the useless creative staff. In the end, you'd save a ton of money and would ultimately have a better product.

In the process, your company would become internet darlings. The same fans that scoff at the mere mention of TNA would suddenly see you and the company in a new light. Not only would you attract the same group of fans who tune in for TNA Impact every week (because I'm convinced that most of these people are the same hardcore wrestling fans who watch ECW on Syfy every week), but you'd also get an entire new audience of passionate internet wrestling fans who have faith in Heyman's creative ability and won't give the time of day to a product booked by your current regime.

Heyman couldn't turn things around overnight, but I have much more confidence in him than the visionless creative staff you currently employ. Your current product focusses on old guys who promise you they'll pass the torch to all the young guys when the time is right. In some cases, these guys have been making that promise since WCW was still around. When push comes to shove, they never do the type of meaningful jobs that create stars. And in many cases, the wrestlers who will do jobs don't mean enough anymore to make younger wrestlers.

Focus on the business end, Dixie, and let Heyman control the creative end of the business and play the hatchet man role that your company so desperately needs. It might not be as comfortable as the status quo, but sometimes you have to make the tough decisions to make your business stronger. Make this one decision and let Heyman do the rest in terms of creative and personnel decisions.

I know, Dixie, you're company has shown growth in several areas. That's great. As I've said before, though, you have to stop and ask yourself how much more growth there would have been by now if you had the right people in place all along. You can't change the past, but you can rectify the situation by making the one simple move that can save you money, score goodwill amongst the fans, and get people truly excited about your product.

I'm on the fence on this one. Yes, we're all painfully aware of the horrendous state of TNA and it's desperate need to restructure creatively but I'm pretty sure Paul is done with the industry. Or at least has very little interest in jumping back into the position of a booker, least of all for TNA. Now I don't rule it out entirely but it's my personal opinion that the odds of this happening are very low. And quite frankly, they'd be better off putting Jim Cornette in charge of booking since he's already on the pay role and he'd to a job far cry from anything that's being put out of TNA currently.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    So I don't know if you guys read Jason Powell's "memo" to Dixie Carter following quite possibly the worst wrestling PPV in recent memory. Credits and kudos to Jason for pointing out the obvious in such a precise manner.
    Dear Dixie Carter,

The big story of the day isn't that your company produced another lousy pay-per-view on Sunday night. Frankly, it's so common that it's not even a story anymore when it happens. This show was exceptionally awful, but that's still not what has people talking.

Rather, everyone is buzzing about Jeff Jarrett "taking time off." Was it a suspension? Is it related to the Bubba The Love Sponge caller who claimed that Karen Angle has moved into Jeff's home? Is Kurt Angle making a power play for Jarrett's job?

As juicy as those questions are, Dixie, I'm more interested in whether you make the right move by finally pulling the plug on this dreadful creative team. I'm not just talking about removing Jarrett from power. He may have total control, but he's only part of the problem.

This company needs an enema. Nothing will change if you give creative control to Vince Russo or Dutch Mantel. I know you're proud of the ratings that Impact is drawing most weeks, but you're selling yourself short if you really believe that's the best the company can do. By the way, how awful are those pay-per-view buys these days? If creative is doing such a good job, then why are fewer people buying the pay-per-views each month?

I've come up with a simple change that will put the company on the right track creatively, save you money, and possibly improve the television ratings right from the start.

Hire Paul Heyman.

Sure, Dixie, you've probably heard he's the anti-Christ from some of your employees. Keep in mind that most of those people would be out of a job if you gave Heyman the type of power and control he would presumably require before even considering the gig.

Heyman won't come cheap, but I guarantee you could save a ton of money by paying his asking price and turning him loose. Let Heyman clean house of all the Jarrett cronies on the payroll, all the overpaid veterans who care about nothing more than cashing their paychecks, and, of course, the useless creative staff. In the end, you'd save a ton of money and would ultimately have a better product.

In the process, your company would become internet darlings. The same fans that scoff at the mere mention of TNA would suddenly see you and the company in a new light. Not only would you attract the same group of fans who tune in for TNA Impact every week (because I'm convinced that most of these people are the same hardcore wrestling fans who watch ECW on Syfy every week), but you'd also get an entire new audience of passionate internet wrestling fans who have faith in Heyman's creative ability and won't give the time of day to a product booked by your current regime.

Heyman couldn't turn things around overnight, but I have much more confidence in him than the visionless creative staff you currently employ. Your current product focusses on old guys who promise you they'll pass the torch to all the young guys when the time is right. In some cases, these guys have been making that promise since WCW was still around. When push comes to shove, they never do the type of meaningful jobs that create stars. And in many cases, the wrestlers who will do jobs don't mean enough anymore to make younger wrestlers.

Focus on the business end, Dixie, and let Heyman control the creative end of the business and play the hatchet man role that your company so desperately needs. It might not be as comfortable as the status quo, but sometimes you have to make the tough decisions to make your business stronger. Make this one decision and let Heyman do the rest in terms of creative and personnel decisions.

I know, Dixie, you're company has shown growth in several areas. That's great. As I've said before, though, you have to stop and ask yourself how much more growth there would have been by now if you had the right people in place all along. You can't change the past, but you can rectify the situation by making the one simple move that can save you money, score goodwill amongst the fans, and get people truly excited about your product.

I'm on the fence on this one. Yes, we're all painfully aware of the horrendous state of TNA and it's desperate need to restructure creatively but I'm pretty sure Paul is done with the industry. Or at least has very little interest in jumping back into the position of a booker, least of all for TNA. Now I don't rule it out entirely but it's my personal opinion that the odds of this happening are very low. And quite frankly, they'd be better off putting Jim Cornette in charge of booking since he's already on the pay role and he'd to a job far cry from anything that's being put out of TNA currently.

Honestly, with all of Cornette's rants about "look at the good ol days, GET OFF MY LAWN" I don't see him hitting with modern wrestling fans that well. 25 years ago I imagine he would have hit it spot on, but I don't think he is quite what TNA needs.

I do wonder, how much power does/did Jarrett have? I know he is the founder, but how much of what happens is/was under his control?

Also... if at any point it turns out that karen isn't staying at Jarret's, either really isn't or isn't in the way they make it sound, I would imagine that JJ would try to have her head.

On the other side, how does Paul Heyman handle creative power for long terms? ECW was starting to get pretty good before Vince started taking over and kicked heyman out. The old ECW is debateable, as though it has die hard fans still the story of it going under is a pretty sad one.

One thing we can agree on, and most wrestling fasn can agree on is just get the hell away from Vince Russo already.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Who's the chick with Paul Burchill?

Katie Lea, a very talented female wrestler who barely ever gets to do anything.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, she gets to look frakking hot.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is it just me, or is this guy trying to be a mix of Conan O'Brien and The Rock?

And wow.

Tommy Dreamer looks awesome in that suit.

Also, out of Christian/Edge/Jericho... Christian is the one that looks the best after all these years.

Someone in one of the wrestling blogs I go to mentioned how it seems that the whole Abraham Washington character came about because some of the writers want to write for Leno/Conan, and are trying out their material.

And does anyone find it crazy that out of everything, the WWE decides to keep the Goldust electrical accident in continuity? Why won't they just erase it like everything else that happens in WWE?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Well, she gets to look frakking hot.

Manjaw.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jeremy Piven will be the next host after Shaw.

Kinda dissapointed, since I'm pretty sure he'll be just pimping his movie. I know Seth Green did it with the dvd of RC, but he gave off the vibe that he was actually having fun out there and WANTED to do it. Granted, I don't have a TV that looks into the future, but I can't see myself getting that vibe from Piven.

They really should just get David Arquette to host.

Kyougu on
This discussion has been closed.