As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer 40,000] ... And I say "Space Wolf? That's my wife!"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been charged for Space Hulk! Yay!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ayana wrote: »
    Ok then im going to vote for Big Mekz and here is why, your right about the tau but your breaking in NEWBIE'S. So crushing the everloving shit out of them on turn 4 or 5 is gonna be demoralizing. I know from personal experience that orks are hilarious to watch play even when your losing. If your getting crushed, but his shokk attackgun blew itself to pieces, or his warboss kills himself in his waaaaggg run you feel a little better. From a Newb perspective i say go with the big meks.

I've only ever played Nax - two times were against Orks. I've never seen anything but complete and utter defeat. "Demoralizing" is a pretty good term to describe it. Nothing bad has ever happened to them to make me feel even a little bit better.

I suggested Tau so I at least have something different to look at while I'm getting tabled.
    Nax cheats.

Ya but did he create the big mekks list which is every unit has the ability to kill itself? that was the original idea of the list. If its just for you then ya go with the tau to mix it up, i was just thinking in the general more than 1 person use.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nobody mentioned that Ork units that have the ability to kill themselves ALSO have the ability to cause terrible damage to the opponent :P. So there's the chance he rolls right and wipes the table in a horrible fashion (with much cackling of Orks).

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thats a standard risk though, ive seen the tau skim around the board and just as easily pop out with a shit ton of str 10 ap 2 rail gun shots and other devistation and vaporize the majority of an army in a turn or two.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ayana wrote: »
    Ok then im going to vote for Big Mekz and here is why, your right about the tau but your breaking in NEWBIE'S. So crushing the everloving shit out of them on turn 4 or 5 is gonna be demoralizing. I know from personal experience that orks are hilarious to watch play even when your losing. If your getting crushed, but his shokk attackgun blew itself to pieces, or his warboss kills himself in his waaaaggg run you feel a little better. From a Newb perspective i say go with the big meks.

I've only ever played Nax - two times were against Orks. I've never seen anything but complete and utter defeat. "Demoralizing" is a pretty good term to describe it. Nothing bad has ever happened to them to make me feel even a little bit better.

I suggested Tau so I at least have something different to look at while I'm getting tabled.
    Nax cheats.

That first game you played Orks you were rolling terribly :(
    That second game, one decision differently and you would have won... I hardly say that was so terrible :P I've just been using AoBR, so the Orks there don't have any of the funny special rules that are random and dangerous :)

@Scurvy: Yeah, Tau can drop some pretty ridiculous Str10 AP2, but I'm not going to be using any of that stuff :) Light Armor and fast moving scout-type units (No Hammerheads, Broadsides, etc). I will get a round or two of some good shooting, and anything that reaches me in CC will utterly destroy me :P If the escalation gets to the point that everyone is rolling in Land Raiders, then I may change my tune, but I don't see that happening.

@Tim: Gogo Space Hulk!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh ya i agree nax i was just saying from a new player standpoint orks are just kind of fun to watch when their using their crazy ass rules, even if your getting ur ass handed to you.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been charged for Space Hulk! Yay!

Still nothing here. Oddly, I haven't seen anyone on the internet break the pattern of nearer to Baltimore having them *sent* first. I'll be giving them a call in the next few hours.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I pre-ordered mine rather late, so I'm surprised to see a box heading my way. I guess Canada might get a different allocation then you smelly yanks?

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's never been a rhyme or reason to which pre-orders get it first.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Matrias wrote: »
    I pre-ordered mine rather late, so I'm surprised to see a box heading my way. I guess Canada might get a different allocation then you smelly yanks?

You sir are our hat...that is all

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We... we wear him?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @ Nax & Scurvy: It's S10 AP1. Which is awesome.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Matrias wrote: »

You sir are our hat...that is all
    We... we wear him?

No, I add a bit of class to your head that you wouldn't otherwise have.
    Canada jokes are retarded. This is the 40k thread.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope someone brings space hulk to PAX, I would love to play.

Also when is 40k going to be played? I will be enforcing tabletop from 3-9 all 3 days so I can ref.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    str 10 ap 1 jesus thats awsome. I thought it was a regular killer not + on the dmg chart killer.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    starting assembly on my sniperfex... hope to have it done in an hour and a half or so. Going to try the "upside down torso" thing

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ElderCat wrote: »

Also when is 40k going to be played? I will be enforcing tabletop from 3-9 all 3 days so I can ref.

Eldercat you should come out to the shop this weekend.

alqadim on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @Nax sorry for the late response on this but despite the overwhelming tau support i'd say go with the orks. I may be a bit biased on this but I find that regardless of how the game is going orks are infinitely more entertaining with their shenanigans than the Tau. Especially if you are using every self destructive unit in the game, I can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue with trukks careening all over the map, wierdboyz popping ork heads and shokk attack guns teleporting units across the map. The chaos in the game would be great.

*EDIT* Also just checked the Games-workshop site and i have a tracking number! Should be getting space hulk today unless fed-ex is lying to me.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Is anyone planning to go to PAX East?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

my girlfriend and i are going to make a serious effort

Nax on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd like to go, I can probably scrape together an army that I left on the backburner by then.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    *EDIT* Also just checked the Games-workshop site and i have a tracking number! Should be getting space hulk today unless fed-ex is lying to me.

I got one too. Mine left Kansas City at 12 am today. It's only about three hours to here so I might get it today depending on how fast the turn around is. Tomorrow for sure.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Nax wrote: »

I can't be arsed to fly all the way to Seattle (especially since it's sold out :P) but Boston is much more doable for me.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ditto!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    When is it again?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey all, haven't posted in this thread in a while, but just had a big apocalypse game this weekend. Was 12K and 4 players/side. The side I faced had 6 superheavies (2 Warhounds, 2 Stompas, 1 Doomsday device, 1 Brass Scorpian). I took Blood Angels... which aren't great at taking down vehicles to begin with. Any marine players have any good strats at taking down titans? The real kicker seems to be 48" range on all the marine guns, that's nothing when there's 2 warhounds with 4 str D shoots each hitting you from 8' away.
    At this point the best counter I can think of involves a thunderhawk full of angry angry furiosos.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nax' Guide To Destroying Titans In Apocalypse Games:
    Don't play in Apocalypse games with unbalanced amounts of super heavies

Nax on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't play in Apocalypse games with unbalanced amounts of super heavies

We have been doing it like that for awhile, much to the bitching of the guy with a ridiculous amount of baneblades.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Throw a cat at it

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Why are the warhounds on the same side as the stompas? Get them on opposite sides then rock and roll. When I used my warhound Fruitus Raptus I had one other super heavy on my side, my own Bandeblade. I was facing two Stompas, one of which got to come back on the board after it died, and a Necron Pylon.

For the record I did manage to kill both Stompas before going down to the stompa that came back.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    alqadim wrote: »

Eldercat you should come out to the shop this weekend.
    Can't, I will be at PAX.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well we did take down every superheavy but one of the warhounds by the end of the game. However it cost us far more to do that then it cost them to loose them. My buddy went on ebay and got a bag of 36 old style fire dragons off ebay for apocalypse games, 36 fire dragons in 6 falcons with the flying formation (that also upgrades the pulse lasers to lances). That was a good way to punish superheavy spam (easily tank down 2 warhounds a turn and not loose a guy), but he just moved to france so I need to deal with that stuff myself now :)

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My warhound keeps getting charged by shit. I've got pics aorund somewhere of the titan covered in genestealers.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    From now on I'm charging my Warhound into the middle of the enemy lines then shoot until I explode and hope for the big boom.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    So basically the ol' BFG strat? It's too bad you cant keep shooting titan wrecks hoping for the explosion like BFG.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    From now on I'm charging my Warhound into the middle of the enemy lines then shoot until I explode and hope for the big boom.

Just make sure Ein and all the sentinel pilots that were clearly operating it jump out in time :P

Nax on
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait a tic, where/when is PAX East being held?

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Wait a tic, where/when is PAX East being held?

http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/

March 26-28 2010, in Boston, Massachusetts.

Hynes Convention Center
    900 Boylston Street
    Boston, MA 02115

If you're flying in, the airport you want is the Logan International Airport with the airport code of BOS.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KublaKhan wrote: »
    Well we did take down every superheavy but one of the warhounds by the end of the game. However it cost us far more to do that then it cost them to loose them. My buddy went on ebay and got a bag of 36 old style fire dragons off ebay for apocalypse games, 36 fire dragons in 6 falcons with the flying formation (that also upgrades the pulse lasers to lances). That was a good way to punish superheavy spam (easily tank down 2 warhounds a turn and not loose a guy), but he just moved to france so I need to deal with that stuff myself now :)

Cameron! Good to see you back! Did Ben move to france?!

I wanted to go that Apoc game but I went to the Comic-con here instead :P

Want to get a game in this weekend?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, I pretty much know what the response to this question will be, but I am going to ask anyways. Going to participate in a pretty slow escalation system to teach a bunch of new people to play / for fun / to get better.

I am thinking I am going to start a new force for the purpose of this escalation alone... It will not be used for any other games until the escalation is done, and the force is completed (painted and everything).

I think I have narrowed it down to two armies/concepts. I'd like to hear thoughts....

Option A: "Big Mekz Rejekz" - Ork force with all units having some sort of random factor involved each turn. Weirdboyz, SAGs, Stormboyz, etc etc etc.

Option 2: Tau Recon Advance Force - Pathfinders, Piranha, Stealth Suits, etc.

I am going strictly for theme here... I don't care about competitiveness or any of that serious stuff. Just want to have a cohesive force that makes sense together and is really cool

Go Tau recon force, but don't forget the Tetra scout speeders and Remora drones. Most of the fast scouty stuff is markerlight heavy, so in addition to the Remoras (flying, seeker missile carriers with stealth fields. That's night fighting - 12" range to shoot them) might be worth getting some Skyrays hidden away to lend more seeker missile fire. Deepstriking crisis would fit as well if the recon force finds something they can't handle (and lets you use the Pathfinder beacon as well).

Tastyfish on