Options

Pirates! In space! (Rogue Galaxy)

• Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    etoychest wrote:
    Ginsane wrote:
    Apparently crafting through the Factory comes off as some sort of puzzle. Where you sink parts into a blueprint, and create a prototype, that is now sold is stores. Alah.. Star Ocean3, I guess. Except blueprints are confusing 3d messes. Well not messes, but confusing, and require, apparently, all 40+ blueprints being spelled out for you. They don't have to be done in any order really, but the guide sets it up so you don't have to swap out so many raw materials, coils, big things, pipes.. stuff. You literally create some electronic schematic.
    Apparently after you make the first one, you can keep and build on the existing setup. It's not as much of a terrible mess as this paragraph makes it out to be though.

And there's a lot of nice artwork in the guide. The paper-ish pages being tinted. It has a cool factor, considering there's not a huge square-enix special edition version. No posters, just a really thick guide, at 384 pages, with seemingly almost every bit of information you could want.
    Oh. Well. I just realized it's a Doublejump Book. No wonder I'm impressed.

Curious, did DoubleJump do the guide? They did the reviewer guide and it was pretty sexy.

Bolded for answerivity.

So now I'm colorblind, AND blind blind. Good to know. :)

etoychest on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Got it, along with the guide.

Mmmmmm. :(

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sad face?

Renzo on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just picked up the game and the guide. I'm about to check out the game, I'm looking forward to it! The guide is amazing.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    Sad face?
    I can't play this until Friday.

It's WANTING ME TO PLAY.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I've got to say I'm really, really enjoying this game so far. About 2 hours in and I'm extremely impressed. The music, among other things, is phenomenal.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just played the first hour or so and I really enjoy it. The combat system feels like an improved, more in-control Kingdom Hearts with a dash of FFXII. I also love the fact that the game can be paused at any time, even during the cutscenes. My phone rang during a cutscene and I started panicking, so I hit start and it paused. Wonderful!

I agree about the music, it's really good. I think I'm going to enjoy this quite a bit.

brynstar on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sand worms. Multiple giant sand worms.

This game is really well put together. I really like the how the menus are laid out, as well as the revelation system. It's like the license board from FFXII but not as OMG big. It just makes me afraid to sell my items...maybe I should just plunk down the cash on the guide.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The guide is a tome of awesome.

In fact, that's what it should be called.

Tome of Awesome (TM).

I can't do the trademark symbol with any of the prescribed shortcuts. F U COMPUTAR.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shit, I skipped on the guide from Gamestop. Guess I'll pick it up off Doublejump's store.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    KiTA wrote:
    Shit, I skipped on the guide from Gamestop. Guess I'll pick it up off Doublejump's store.

I skipped the guide, too. I wanted to play the game and not read it. I'm kind of tired of digging myself into a booklet to find out what to do next or where to find something half the time. I'd rather keep my focus on the screen, instead. Of course, I'm probably being a hypocrite cause I'll end up buying the guide anyways. :oops:

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    According to Play.com, Rogue Galaxy is getting released here in England on the 9th of March.

I can easily wait that long, because I've still got Kingdom Hearts to try and finish and Dragon Quest to start.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So even though his name escapes me at the moment, I'm not the only one who thinks the guy Steven Jay Blum voices looks like a grown up Vyse right? Right? Anyway, from the hour or so I got to play today I like it. Combat is a little button-mashy but it's not too bad. I love the Revelations thing though and I will become the #1 bounty hunter. Anyone know if it's possible to miss out on some of those mission things due to enemies disappearing or something? I didn't really want to spend another 2 hours on the first planet to hunt down some stupid cacti and golden kids. If I can come back later for them, that would be fantastic.

Gilder on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could you explain the revelations system?

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's the way you unlock new moves and stuff from what I've seen. It might unlock more stuff but I don't know. Anyway, you see some blank squares with shadowy items inside them and they're spread out along a big board. As you collect items, some of the squares get a glowing blue outline around them. This means that you have the right item for that square. If you put the item there, it'll fill in that square. If you fill in all the squares for one section, you'll unlock a new move. Some of the areas require only one item and some require more. Filling in one area also unlocks any adjacent areas that the arrow next to it points to and you can repeat the process. Until you fill in an area and unlock another, all the other squares are ?'s and you can't do anything with them. The items needed can be anything from antidotes to battle items to things like a piece of iron. I should also mention that any item you put in a square can't be retrieved. It's stuck in there.

Also, when shopping for items, if an item for sale can currently be used on the board it'll get a light bulb (I think) next to it and it'll say "Revelation: Yes" or something like that when you choose to buy it. The menu option will also get bigger if you've picked up some items that can be used so when you go to equip a different weapon or something, you'll notice it. My description of the board though is crappy and makes it sound kind of confusing but it really isn't. It's very easy to navigate and it's not overwhelmingly huge like the license board in FF XII.

Gilder on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    U;m definitely gonna be picking this game up on Friday...Along with a slim PS2...and some DVD's...and a pizza from La Rosa's. :D

So the dungeon's are like the one's in Dark Cloud 2? Great. I loved Dark Cloud, 2, and didn't mind the dungeon's at all.

Sadly, I really need a slim PS2, my old one still works, but it won't tranfer music and sound to the TV anymore, all I get are occassional bursts of static were voices were supposed to be.

Matthew on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I played for about six hours last night and I've got to say I'm completely satisfied with the game so far. Rogue Galaxy does so many things extremely well. The combat is fun, if a bit hard at times which is a nice change of pace for me considering most rpgs are a joke 99% of the time.

I'm not finding the encounter rate to be high at all. I'm definitely enjoying the ability to start running when the victory screen is up, allowing you to cover more ground before the next encounter.

Then there's the look and feel of the game which is excellent. Everything flows well and looks like it belongs. All the characters are interesting and enjoyable. The voice acting is very solid and the music is, once again, amazing.

As long as the game keeps this pace, or even stays remotely close to it, this will end up being one of my top ten games on the PS2.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gilder wrote:
    So even though his name escapes me at the moment, I'm not the only one who thinks the guy Steven Jay Blum voices looks like a grown up Vyse right? Right? Anyway, from the hour or so I got to play today I like it. Combat is a little button-mashy but it's not too bad. I love the Revelations thing though and I will become the #1 bounty hunter. Anyone know if it's possible to miss out on some of those mission things due to enemies disappearing or something? I didn't really want to spend another 2 hours on the first planet to hunt down some stupid cacti and golden kids. If I can come back later for them, that would be fantastic.

You won't miss those enemies. I mean. You'll come back to Rosa eventually. Especially to farm items from the NE corner, next to the church. The little stone dogs spawn there, and drop silver bracelets, which almost everyone uses 10 of in their Revelation. There doesn't seem to be anything you can really MISS, in the game.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Grove wrote:
    So I played for about six hours last night and I've got to say I'm completely satisfied with the game so far. Rogue Galaxy does so many things extremely well. The combat is fun, if a bit hard at times which is a nice change of pace for me considering most rpgs are a joke 99% of the time.

I'm not finding the encounter rate to be high at all. I'm definitely enjoying the ability to start running when the victory screen is up, allowing you to cover more ground before the next encounter.

Then there's the look and feel of the game which is excellent. Everything flows well and looks like it belongs. All the characters are interesting and enjoyable. The voice acting is very solid and the music is, once again, amazing.

As long as the game keeps this pace, or even stays remotely close to it, this will end up being one of my top ten games on the PS2.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I'm several hours in as well, only thing that stopped me from playing was the need to sleep. :)

The difficulty is a nice change of pace, you're spot on. To me it seems almost perfectly balanced, so when I die, it's my own fault.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alright...

Now I have to put FFXII into overdrive so I can finish it out and pick up Rogue Galaxy. I'm glad this game turned out to be as cool as it looked.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So guys.

I liked KH/KHII and loved Dark Cloud 2.

Should I get this game?

y/n

a/s/l plz

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Graviija wrote:
    So guys.

Should I get this game?

y/n

a/s/l plz

I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't get it. If you loved those games, you will love this one.

brynstar on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    brynstar wrote:
    Graviija wrote:
    So guys.

Should I get this game?

y/n

a/s/l plz

I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't get it. If you loved those games, you will love this one.
    THEN IT IS DECIDED

And sweetness, it's only $40. Good time to have a PS2, I reckon.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yes the 40 dollar price tag is a huge plus as well. It's a great value.

brynstar on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    <3Simon/Steve
    Greg Ellis the voice actor for Simon roxxorz.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ginsane wrote:
    Gilder wrote:

You won't miss those enemies. I mean. You'll come back to Rosa eventually. Especially to farm items from the NE corner, next to the church. The little stone dogs spawn there, and drop silver bracelets, which almost everyone uses 10 of in their Revelation. There doesn't seem to be anything you can really MISS, in the game.
    That's good. I was just hoping that when I eventually go back there they didn't replace the enemies with some stronger guys and I can't find any of the weaker ones.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Looked in the back of the manual for the voice actor credits. Steve Blum (Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop) voices some 5 or 6 different characters, and Quinton Flynn (Raiden from MGS2 & 4) is no slouch either, at 3 or 4.

And I didn't tell Grove this because it will ruin the character for him, but Jaster is voiced by [spoiler:5ca229b466]the older brother from Boy Meets World.[/spoiler:5ca229b466] He does a really good job, though.

I have to get some good time in on this. I'm still on Rosa. I'll probably grind a little to lessen the difficulty. The time it takes to get up and running again after dying is brutal.

Renzo on
  • Options
    BetaflameBetaflame Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    The time it takes to get up and running again after dying is brutal.
    No joke on that one, Save early and often. Atleast they didn't make the fatal mistake of un-skippable cut scenes.

Betaflame on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    Looked in the back of the manual for the voice actor credits. Steve Blum (Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop) voices some 5 or 6 different characters, and Quinton Flynn (Raiden from MGS2 & 4) is no slouch either, at 3 or 4.

And I didn't tell Grove this because it will ruin the character for him, but Jaster is voiced by [spoiler:f3f56b39e5]the older brother from Boy Meets World.[/spoiler:f3f56b39e5] He does a really good job, though.

I have to get some good time in on this. I'm still on Rosa. I'll probably grind a little to lessen the difficulty. The time it takes to get up and running again after dying is brutal.

Just so you know, the guy who voiced Jaster also voiced [spoiler:f3f56b39e5] Batman from Batman Beyond [/spoiler:f3f56b39e5]

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

And I didn't tell Grove this because it will ruin the character for him, but Jaster is voiced by [spoiler:095bea5fec]the older brother from Boy Meets World.[/spoiler:095bea5fec] He does a really good job, though.

Just so you know, the guy who voiced Jaster also voiced [spoiler:095bea5fec] Batman from Batman Beyond [/spoiler:095bea5fec]
    Did not know that. Very cool.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went to try and rent this today and it's nowhere to be found.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Who's the voice credit for Kilika? She's aways gotten my :winky: in screenshots.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ya Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale are like the biggest whores of VAs ever. Although Jennifer Hale does have a sexy voice.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ya Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale are like the biggest whores of VAs ever. Although Jennifer Hale does have a sexy voice.
    im sure what you meant to say was 'ya steve blum and jennifer hale sure do like to get paid and have careers'.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:
    im sure what you meant to say was 'ya steve blum and jennifer hale sure do like to get paid and have careers'.
    And they also do a good job, I think. I mean, Blum voiced the head bounty hunter, Ba'Gamnan, in FFXII. Who knew? And Hale's Bastila was pretty much perfect.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fuck you guys for making me want this game more than I already did. I was going to play FFXII before this since it's been sitting there since Christmas but I think I'm gonna go get this tommorow and play it instead.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:

Well not really but that chick is in like everything that requires a VA the past 10 years. I mean come on look for some new talent.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:

Well not really but that chick is in like everything that requires a VA the past 10 years. I mean come on look for some new talent.
    maybe because she's really good? believe me, if you're not a huge company like SE or the 1st party guys, getting really good VAs is not easy. And she is a really good VA.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CloggerdudeCloggerdude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or not yet, but Circuit City has a five dollar off coupon you can use for this game thru March 4th. The coupon is in the free demo that all CC stores should have received for the game.

I'm sure most stores are out of the demo by now, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If they're like the store I work at, they've probably got a pile of game demos laying behind the kiosk somewhere.

I know we initially got a massive shipment of...one copy of the demo a couple of months ago, but apparently we got a whole box of them this past week.

Cloggerdude on
    Pokemon D/P Friend Code: 0902 9213 7501
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it just me or is the camera a bit...I don't know...crap?

What's the point of having lock-on if the camera doesn't follow the guy you're locked onto, like, say, Dark Cloud 2?

Am I just missing a setting that tells the camera to keep the guy in my sights rather than just tossing me in a mish-mash of dudes?

(P.S. I enjoy the game, I'm just saying)

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick