Options

Pirates! In space! (Rogue Galaxy)

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmm, well the camera does seem a little bit wonky, but having played the first Kingdom Hearts, I didn't find it so bad.

Also, if you use the "high" option during battles rather than "low," that helps a bit, though I prefer low myself.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Is it just me or is the camera a bit...I don't know...crap?

What's the point of having lock-on if the camera doesn't follow the guy you're locked onto, like, say, Dark Cloud 2?

Am I just missing a setting that tells the camera to keep the guy in my sights rather than just tossing me in a mish-mash of dudes?

(P.S. I enjoy the game, I'm just saying)

Yeah, that's my only complaint with the game. I really wish the camera would lock onto your target. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    BetaflameBetaflame Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Ya Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale are like the biggest whores of VAs ever. Although Jennifer Hale does have a sexy voice.
    im sure what you meant to say was 'ya steve blum and jennifer hale sure do like to get paid and have careers'.

Well not really but that chick is in like everything that requires a VA the past 10 years. I mean come on look for some new talent.
    maybe because she's really good? believe me, if you're not a huge company like SE or the 1st party guys, getting really good VAs is not easy. And she is a really good VA.
    Blum has voiced in a few cartoons aswell, namely Samuri Champloo and S-cRy-Ed

Betaflame on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Is it just me or is the camera a bit...I don't know...crap?

What's the point of having lock-on if the camera doesn't follow the guy you're locked onto, like, say, Dark Cloud 2?

Am I just missing a setting that tells the camera to keep the guy in my sights rather than just tossing me in a mish-mash of dudes?

(P.S. I enjoy the game, I'm just saying)

Yeah, that's my only complaint with the game. I really wish the camera would lock onto your target. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game.

Yeah it would be nice if it the camera locked on, but hitting R2 pretty much resolves any camera issue for me at least.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Chapter 5 and I've still only found Jungle Coat as Costume/Armor. Sad.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Betaflame wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Ya Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale are like the biggest whores of VAs ever. Although Jennifer Hale does have a sexy voice.
    im sure what you meant to say was 'ya steve blum and jennifer hale sure do like to get paid and have careers'.

Well not really but that chick is in like everything that requires a VA the past 10 years. I mean come on look for some new talent.
    maybe because she's really good? believe me, if you're not a huge company like SE or the 1st party guys, getting really good VAs is not easy. And she is a really good VA.
    Blum has voiced in a few cartoons aswell, namely Samuri Champloo and S-cRy-Ed
    And fuckin' Cowboy Bebop, man. Probably one of the best dubs out there.

Anyway, this game is fucking awesome. I just got to the second planet, and I love it. The Revelation thing is cool and easy to use. I really love the combat - real time with some restrictions. Works surprisingly well, and makes it (a bit) less button mashy than KH2 and the like.

Character designs are really good, too. No girly men here! Only girly girls (Kisala is hot).

Graviija on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Someone, I don't remember who, said, "The guys have facial hair, and only the girls bare their midriffs." Pretty strange for a recent JRPG.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm enjoying it so far...I believe I'm in chapter 4 or so. The only thing I don't care for, really, is how cumbersome the inventory system is.

Sure, it's easy to switch weapons in battle, but it's a huge pain in the ass otherwise.

Also, some of the scenes are just eye-rollingly awful, and make me remember what bugs the fuck out of me about most JRPGs.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm enjoying it so far...I believe I'm in chapter 4 or so. The only thing I don't care for, really, is how cumbersome the inventory system is.
    Level 5 seems to have a very hard time with inventory, as it's terrible in the Dark Cloud games, as well.

Graviija on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Curse you all. These postings made me check out the game elsewhere and now I want it. When I'm broke and my fiance leaves me you should feel ashamed of yourselves.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How pretty is your Fiance? Once she breaks up with you, I may want to pick her up.

LOL, Just kidding.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Sure, it's easy to switch weapons in battle, but it's a huge pain in the ass otherwise.

Also, some of the scenes are just eye-rollingly awful, and make me remember what bugs the fuck out of me about most JRPGs.

Yeah. In the Japanese version they didn't even have the weapon switch in the first battle menu. Had to go into the main menu to change gun. Annoying.
    Finally got free range through out the solar system. Finishing up kills in Rosa etc.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It is so far a pretty damn good game. Only have a few complaints.

-Camera doesn't lock onto targets
    -Ability to use R2/L2 to switch targets. Using the d-pad is cumbersome. They should have switched the ally help to the d-pad and switch targets to R2/L2. Would have been better.
    -Characters constantly talking. I do enjoy it, but it is WAY WAY WAY to frequent.
    -The exp screen goes away without my consent. I defeat an enemy, the exp screen comes up for 2 seconds, and disappears. Sometimes it allows you to press x, but a majority of the time, it goes away by itself.
    -Random enemies will just surprise you and rape your party. Fucking mimic just comes up and does massive damage to my party.
    -Start up time from game over is atrocious. Why don't I have the ability to load from last save?
    -Inventory system and just general menu system is clunky. Gets the job done, but it ain't pretty.

The game is fun though, don't get me wrong. But I just would have loved to have gotten these fixed. Hopefully there's gonna be a rogue galaxy 2.

Xeno on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mimics look different from normal chests. They bulge a bit of their gray bodies through the keyhole.
    You can turn off the characters talking in options...... so...
    Don't move during EXP start up. You can start running away all willy nilly way before it exits.
    Camera doesn't lock onto target. But I have no problem tapping R2 to swing it around to my backside for a perfect view.
    I've yet to have any random enemies rape my party. At all. You can dodge mimics if you take the time and care to care.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ginsane wrote:
    Mimics look different from normal chests. They bulge a bit of their gray bodies through the keyhole.
    You can turn off the characters talking in options...... so...
    Don't move during EXP start up. You can start running away all willy nilly way before it exits.
    Camera doesn't lock onto target. But I have no problem tapping R2 to swing it around to my backside for a perfect view.
    I've yet to have any random enemies rape my party. At all. You can dodge mimics if you take the time and care to care.

Ohh, alright. Good advice. I'll look out for the chests. Those are the radnom enemies I was speaking of. I open a chest, and this mimic comes out, causing me the ability not to attack, plus has large hp and hitting my party pretty damn hard.
    I also didn't know about the not moving. So if I just stay still, then the exp screen will stay up there? Good to know.

As for everything else, ehh, I would still like to see it improved. Just got off of KH2, so the lock on feature kinda irks me.

Xeno on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm not sure it will stay up forever. But it should stay up a bit longer than normal if you stand still. IT seems to pop way quicker when I'm making head-way.

REally don't like the low encounter rate. Have an item that causes me to encounter less monsters. But want to encounter more. Blow through all this early on Hunter Stuffz.

Mimics are a pain in the arse no matter where you are, though. Just gotta stock up on healing when you see them, and come back to get a Coin.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I've never had trouble with the experience screen length. Seems just about right.

Those mimics piss me off! After one of them destroyed me, I made a point of stocking up on potions just so I could kill all of them. I didn't get super experience from it or anything, but I felt much better about it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just got this game. It seems pretty awesome, with the exception of the inventory clutter. Other than that, I'm pretty much enjoying all of it.

It's nice to see a main character in a JRPG that both looks and sounds like a man.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote:
    Just got this game. It seems pretty awesome, with the exception of the inventory clutter. Other than that, I'm pretty much enjoying all of it.

It's nice to see a main character in a JRPG that both looks and sounds like a man.
    Ended up organizing the inventory per Grove's suggestion. I used the separate pages to split the items into Consumable, Revelation, Key, Gear (Unequipped), and Gear (Equipped).

Makes things much clearer.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What I really like is being able to mix two weapons/equipment together to form a new, more powerful piece. Thus, your old gear isn't useless. I just started doing that and holy crap did I get some awesome weapons.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    About the mixing. Is it possible to fuck up and mix two pieces and get a SHITTIER weapon?

Xeno on
  • Options
    Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yea you can, but Toady will warn you about it before he spits it out and you can just hit cancel.

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I love Toady!. Level 5 excels in the item creation part of RPG's. I loved DQ8's alchemy pot, and DC2's Item creation (through photo taking). This is good too.

Matthew on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, it's a sad state of affairs of when one of a JRPG's big selling point is that the guy doesn't look like a chick. Tells you alot about the current characters in JRPG's.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kyougu wrote:
    Man, it's a sad state of affairs of when one of a JRPG's big selling point is that the guy doesn't look like a chick. Tells you alot about the current trends in japanese culture.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    And for Japanese, that wasn't a selling point, as Rogue Galaxy didn't do a great job in the sales dept. For Westerners, though, manly men are welcome.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    And for Japanese, that wasn't a selling point, as Rogue Galaxy didn't do a great job in the sales dept. For Westerners, though, manly men are welcome.
    It's kind of sad really, when my standards have sunken so low regarding JRPG protagonists that all I want from them is that they don't look like they share wardrobe and makeup with their sister..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hey, does anyone know where the special keys are? I see all these chests that require Earth, Star, and Sun keys, but I don't know where those are.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Matthew wrote:
    Hey, does anyone know where the special keys are? I see all these chests that require Earth, Star, and Sun keys, but I don't know where those are.

I've only found the Earth Key so far.

[spoiler:4f3d93c6a5]It's in the chief's hut in Burkaqua Village[/spoiler:4f3d93c6a5]

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Man, Illusion Sword is awesomest ability ever. Especially at level 2, when it not only looks awesome, but does some sweet damage as well. Ranged sword attacks = win.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Man, some challenges are completely against you?

I just got one that wanted me to kill 2 tarantulas and 2 Rollers in 16 seconds without items or abilities.

I just laughed out loud and dropped a Desert Wind 2.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MothercruncherMothercruncher __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Sorry but this is not Sid Meier's Pirates! in space. Please change the title.

I'm still waiting for that game.

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

You can't post on these forums anymore!

lol nub!
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yea you can, but Toady will warn you about it before he spits it out and you can just hit cancel.

Not always true. I put together a level 120 sword with the original Desert Claw and he did the three exclamation point thing before spitting out a sword with an level in the 80s. I was pissssssed as it was my only sword at the time.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, and chopping a dude to send him flying, then shooting him dead before he lands is quite awesome.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    MalachMalach Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, I thought id' ask this since I have a habit of missing things completely in Level 5 games. Took me forever and a trip to Gamefaqs to find the Monster Arena in DQ8. The Hunter's Coins and whatnot. Where do you turn these in? I figured it was a possibility its just something that comes later since I've done a fairly good job of searching everywhere thoroughly, but I havent found that yet. I've reached the part where I return to Rosa for the first time through the story? So have I just not gotten to it yet or did I miss it?

Edit: Found it on my own. For anyone who hasnt' found it check with MIO at Galaxy Corp.

Malach on
    Lynch2028.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So what's the average learning curve for battle? I'm only about 2 hours in but I still lose people and sometimes Game Over a lot. In one moment, amidst the chaos, they'll be near full HP and before I know it everyone's dead.

Oh well still enjoying the game. It's like the super evolution of Dark Cloud/Chronicle. Looks awesome too.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Has anyone else figured out how to properly use the factory? I want to try it out badly, but it seems ot be extremely complicated.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    InitialDK wrote:
    So what's the average learning curve for battle? I'm only about 2 hours in but I still lose people and sometimes Game Over a lot. In one moment, amidst the chaos, they'll be near full HP and before I know it everyone's dead.

Oh well still enjoying the game. It's like the super evolution of Dark Cloud/Chronicle. Looks awesome too.

Yeah, as far as I can tell anyone not directly controlled by you is near useless in battle. Fortunately, resurrections and healing potions are both common and cheap. If you notice someone's HP getting low, just it triangle and have one of your party members toss a healing potion or tri-heal.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This may sound completely obvious, but what's the point of upping the stats on your weapons?

I realize that it only happens after you MAX the Skills portion, and while I regularly see +1 to various things like Flame and Wind and whatnot, I don't know what it's actually DOING. The weapon still has the same Power, so I don't know if it's actually doing more damage, or if it's increases its potential to do more of that TYPE of damage, or what. The manual doesn't explain it and the in-game help isn't too inclined to help either.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    FireWeasel wrote:
    This may sound completely obvious, but what's the point of upping the stats on your weapons?

I realize that it only happens after you MAX the Skills portion, and while I regularly see +1 to various things like Flame and Wind and whatnot, I don't know what it's actually DOING. The weapon still has the same Power, so I don't know if it's actually doing more damage, or if it's increases its potential to do more of that TYPE of damage, or what. The manual doesn't explain it and the in-game help isn't too inclined to help either.

I BELIEVE that it ups the chance of doing a status effect. So the higher the fire ability, the higher the chance that you'll set the guy on fire. Or higher the lighting, the higher the chance the guy will get stunned, etc.

Xeno on