As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a PS3 Wednesday

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Another vote for infamous, and I didn't see a recommentation for Red Faction Guerrilla. Nothing beats zooming along the awesomely rendered Martian landscape to an EDF facility and strategically dismantling it with your hammer and a few explosives, and watching towers crumble and fall, taking out other buildings as they go down.

edit - I'm shocked at the lack of Resistance recommendations. Both Resistance Fall of Man and Resistance 2 are great FPS games. The story isn't presented the best (though it's fairly interesting if you dig into it) and they are really solid, fun shooters. Big satisfying guns, big ugly aliens to shoot them at. Resistance 2 also has a really good set of online features.

I actually found Resistance 1 was a steaming pile of garbage and not even worth the $20 I paid for it.

Resistance 2 though was a steaming pile of fuckawesome.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jhunter46 wrote: »
    Buying a PS3 Wednesday

Bad idea bro.

PS3 price cut before the holidays is most likely, not to mention the redesign 160 slim being the likely low price candidate.

Just throwin' it out there.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Buying a PS3 Wednesday

Bad idea bro.

PS3 price cut before the holidays is most likely, not to mention the redesign 160 slim being the likely low price candidate.

Everything goes down in price eventually, I'm not going to stress about it. Besides I've got a good solid month before school starts and I'm thinking my gaming time is going to be limited by my 20 credit semester.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Buying a PS3 Wednesday

Bad idea bro.

Everything goes down in price eventually, I'm not going to stress about it. Besides I've got a good solid month before school starts and I'm thinking my gaming time is going to be limited by my 20 credit semester.

Don't go to school now, dude. Wait until you're 65, then you can get senior discount. :)

I'd get LBP. Well, I did, and so you should too. It is a beautiful game, and really is a fun experience in multi. Also one of those games that need to be supported to encourage future development - re: Psychonauts.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'd get LBP. Well, I did, and so you should too. It is a beautiful game, and really is a fun experience in local multi. Also one of those games that need to be supported to encourage future development - re: Psychonauts.

Emphasis on Local Multiplayer, there. I anticipate the netcode patch.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I have a 360 and a PC.

I'm not going to worry about the price drop. Everything eventually gets cheaper, and I figure the MGS/Killzone 2 bundle is a pretty good deal.

Disgaea is on my list for sure, but I don't want to jump into that until I get through Valkyrie Chronicles.

I'm really going to be disappointed though if that software emulation backwards computability update doesn't drop.

I didn't own a PS2 and there are a handful of games I'd really like to go back and play.

(I like shooters as much as the next guy, but outside of Goldeneye and Halo, I don't really do the console shooter thing).

This is probably needless to say, but make sure your model has BC.

For some reason, I didn't think the new MGS2/KZ2 came with BC. But I'm bad at keeping track of this stuff.
    greeble wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Who turns their PS3 off? That's what Folding is for.

People who don't want sky-high electric bills and hot as hell rooms :P

True dat. I have a 60GB PS3 (Old 90nm chips) and a Jasper 360 (60nm). On the hot days I generally avoid playing on my ps3 and use the computer or xbox just because of the heat.

Also, if they were really serious about curing cancer etc, they should just give Folding trophies.

Yeah. To hell with helping some clever professor keep his tenure, I'm saving the world by using less energy! Besides, my power bill is quite high enough as it is.

Come to think of it, I don't even think I have Folding installed on my PS3. Or if it is, I've never run it. I bought mine used, and promptly wiped it once I set it up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The BC models aren't in production anymore. If you want PS2 compatibility you're going to have to get it used.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gamestop has SF:IV for 20$ new! Oh happy day.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71574

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Installing Linux on the PS3 is a giant waste of time, it works like shit, and under no circumstances should you consider it. This is coming from someone who has done this three times. Don't do it.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Come to think of it, I don't even think I have Folding installed on my PS3. Or if it is, I've never run it. I bought mine used, and promptly wiped it once I set it up.

Folding@home is integrated into the Life with PlayStation application (the one with the 3d globe you can spin around and get news/weather info).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds.

No one ever mentions it and it's one of the best games the PS3 has to offer. Single, multiplayer hot-seat, or online play.

Assuming you like golf games of course.

Pastee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Folding@home is integrated into the Life with PlayStation application (the one with the 3d globe you can spin around and get news/weather info).

I really ought to open that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Installing Linux on the PS3 is a giant waste of time, it works like shit, and under no circumstances should you consider it. This is coming from someone who has done this three times. Don't do it.

What distro(s) did you use?

I did Ubuntu, and it did the basics like Firefox and OpenOffice, but for any media playing it was worthless. The biggest pain was switching between Linux and the XMB.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »

What distro(s) did you use?

I did Ubuntu, and it did the basics like Firefox and OpenOffice, but for any media playing it was worthless. The biggest pain was switching between Linux and the XMB.

I've tried Ubuntu and the official Sony supported Yellow Dog Linux. Both were terrible, with wireless issues, and general slow performance. The problem is the restrictions Sony has on the hardware (hypervisor) coupled with the low amount of RAM to begin with. It's not usable as a desktop replacement, and not worth the time.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some good suggestions from good people. Valkyria Chronicles, excellent. R&C, good. Uncharted, very good.

But no one's mentioned Siren? No one?

For shame!

Siren: Blood Curse! Siren: Blood Curse!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I own and beat Siren: Blood Curse. It's good, but it isn't for everyone. The controls could be a little better, and you need to realize it's a stealth horror game. Unless you play on easy, which I did, because I like to hit monsters with blunt and sharp objects alike. It's good, but still has a muddled story. If you like Silent Hill, a lot of the devs worked on both, and it shows.

I think the demo does a decent job at showing you what it's all about, at least whether you'll enjoy it or not.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No one has mentioned Demon's Souls either, but I just passed that off to the fact that the US version is coming in the Fall. (The Chinese and Korean versions are import friendly, with full English, and a smidge of Engrish.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was going to reinstall linux on my ps3 so my kids could play gcompris, but then my brother-in-law gave me his old laptop and I used that instead. But yeah ps3 linux is pretty limited in what it can do.

And hell yes buy Demon's Souls, but I would just wait till the US release.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    And hell yes buy Demon's Souls, but I would just wait till the US release.

And while we're on the subject of future games....Uncharted 2 comes out a week after Demon Souls, and we may get Castle Crashers may be out before the end of the year on the PS3 as well!

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yep, and Way of the Samurai 3, Brutal Legend, Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age, Borderlands and (perhaps - unconfirmed) Ratchet & Clank Future 2.

October'll be a helluva month. Also, I think the Siren: Blood Curse demo does a horrible job of showing you what that game is actually about, and what its strengths are.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The demo of Siren gave me a better idea than most other game's demos. It started past the beginning chapter, which would have just confused people. And it got the player used to movement, stealth, fighting with blunt and ranged weapons, having a CPU partner, gave a taste of the story and left you wanting more.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    Yep, and Way of the Samurai 3, Brutal Legend, Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age, Borderlands and (perhaps - unconfirmed) Ratchet & Clank Future 2.

October'll be a helluva month. Also, I think the Siren: Blood Curse demo does a horrible job of showing you what that game is actually about, and what its strengths are.

Totally forgot about WotS3. I was more talking about PS3 exclusives (CC is supposed to get new exclusive content supposedly). But yes, all those amazing games are coming this Rocktober.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No one has mentioned Demon's Souls either, but I just passed that off to the fact that the US version is coming in the Fall. (The Chinese and Korean versions are import friendly, with full English, and a smidge of Engrish.)

Talking about import friendly titles, Afrika and Aquanauts holliday are good games. Kind of like pokemon snap, where you go around and take picutres of animals, then get points for how good they are

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    Some good suggestions from good people. Valkyria Chronicles, excellent. R&C, good. Uncharted, very good.

But no one's mentioned Siren? No one?

For shame!

Siren: Blood Curse! Siren: Blood Curse!

Siren: Blood Curse is the #1 reason why I want a PS3. Every other game is just an extra perk.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Another vote for infamous, and I didn't see a recommentation for Red Faction Guerrilla. Nothing beats zooming along the awesomely rendered Martian landscape to an EDF facility and strategically dismantling it with your hammer and a few explosives, and watching towers crumble and fall, taking out other buildings as they go down.

edit - I'm shocked at the lack of Resistance recommendations. Both Resistance Fall of Man and Resistance 2 are great FPS games. The story isn't presented the best (though it's fairly interesting if you dig into it) and they are really solid, fun shooters. Big satisfying guns, big ugly aliens to shoot them at. Resistance 2 also has a really good set of online features.

I actually found Resistance 1 was a steaming pile of garbage and not even worth the $20 I paid for it.

Resistance 2 though was a steaming pile of fuckawesome.

Eh, different strokes etc. I found Resistance to be one of the most enjoyable shooters I'd played in a long time, simply because they made a shooter.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have to respectfully disagree with Pixeljunk: Eden recommendations.

The music and art style are amazing, but for me it's just not very engaging.

I really wish I played Killzone2 more. It's truly an awesome game, but for whatever reason there just weren't that many people playing. Maybe this has changed with the new map packs, I really don't know.

Infamous is great for at least a play through.

You already mentioned VC which should please you immensely.

I also don't recommend Noby-Noby-Boy. It's kinda interesting but the camera controls are horrendous (or at least I couldn't figure them out).

Fat Princess, Thursday, now that's a must buy.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    Infamous is great for at least 2 play throughs.

Fixed. Yeah Killzone2 MP is really fun, too bad some of the unlocks are pretty grindy. (gotta do x number of something in a round kinda sucks)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I also don't recommend Noby-Noby-Boy. It's kinda interesting but the camera controls are horrendous (or at least I couldn't figure them out).

i recommend nnb, but only with massive caveats. youre paying $5 for a unique, surreal experience. theres next to no gameplay, no goals, no nothing really aside from relaxingly wandering around and seeing strange things. its obviously not everyones cup of tea, but youre not going to find much else like it and i think its at least worth a look.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

i recommend nnb, but only with massive caveats. youre paying $5 for a unique, surreal experience. theres next to no gameplay, no goals, no nothing really aside from relaxingly wandering around and seeing strange things. its obviously not everyones cup of tea, but youre not going to find much else like it and i think its at least worth a look.

You are long. There are things.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Super Stardust:HD is a must have.

Before you just trade in KZ2, you should at least give its MP a try. Unlike SP, MP is class based, much like TeamFortress 2. I'm going for my MP gold trophy this week, so I'll be having a KZ2 marathon after this work night is over. If you do decide to pop in KZ2 and are looking for good partner, let me know and I'll try to get you my PSN name. I don't post it in public anymore, too many random people start adding.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Very pleased with my purchase, put some time in on MGS4 last night, pretty awesome. Played the Demo for Valkyria Chronicles, in love.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Very pleased with my purchase, put some time in on MGS4 last night, pretty awesome. Played the Demo for Valkyria Chronicles, in love.

Just wait for the full game :)

And Don't forget, Fat Princess comes out today!

Congrats BTW!

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Congratulations, and not to dampen your enthusiasm or anything, but what's your BC like?

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, I'm genuinely curious. Damn Sony and their numerous BC/non-BC/kinda-BC models!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Congratulations, and not to dampen your enthusiasm or anything, but what's your BC like?

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, I'm genuinely curious. Damn Sony and their numerous BC/non-BC/kinda-BC models!

If it is a new PS3, then it has no BC. IIRC, the last model to be sold with even Software BC was the 80GB MGS4 bundle.

*Hugs his MGS4 PS3 bundle*

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I don't believe it has any PS2 bc, although I have seen the reports of a possible update enabling software bc sometime soon.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I don't believe it has any PS2 bc, although I have seen the reports of a possible update enabling software bc sometime soon.

That is definitely new to me. I didn't think it was a technological problem so much as Sony's boneheaded-ness.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, there were reports a few weeks ago about BC possibly being made available via a firmware patch. That was speculation based on some backward compatibility patent recently filed by Sony or something like that. I'll believe it when I see it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That is definitely new to me. I didn't think it was a technological problem so much as Sony's boneheaded-ness.
    It is technological though. The PS3s with "Software" BC still have the PS2's gpu to handle the graphics output; the software just emulates the CPU. New PS3s have no PS2 internals, so they have no backwards compatibility.

Sure, MAYBE they could patch in some limited all-emulation BC, but I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on that kind of speculation.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i got hardware BC on mine, and I found it horrible. Just get a PSTwo or something. Can games actually look normal on that thing?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i got hardware BC on mine, and I found it horrible. Just get a PSTwo or something. Can games actually look normal on that thing?

I haven't had much trouble (two games out of 60 not working) on my software BC 80GB PS3.

edit: and the other 58 look gorgeous.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg