As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Mahjong: Putin, Papa Bush & Pope vs Hitler for fate of the world.

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    It's Gonzo. That should be all you need to know.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

You mean the same Gonzo that ranges from Last Exile to Strike Witches? :P

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    FMA: B 16 & 17
    Good episodes all around. I think splitting up the two revelations with Hughes and Ross actually works better than the original.

Yeah, I've liked how they've rearranged the timeline through all of this.
    Wasn't until my copies of the volumes arrived in the mail that I didn't even realize that Scar hadn't killed that one alchemist with the peg leg at this point yet in the manga

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Is Red Garden any good? It's on sale at Best Buy, but I hated Gantz.

Mediocre with some strange choices in execution but in my opinion better than Gantz. It goes more for psychological horror than gratuitous gore. A few scenes featuring the girls' desperation and fear are very well done and are quite intense. Then it all falls to shit when they introduce the big bad corporate cult conspiracy like anime often does and fails miserably at doing. It's quirky, which I liked, but not enough to save the show from mediocrity. Features: an amusing approximation of "America"; fashionable clothing; skinny anorexics; interesting noses; and a tendency for the characters to burst into song.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

Mediocre with some strange choices in execution but in my opinion better than Gantz. It goes more for psychological horror than gratuitous gore. A few scenes featuring the girls' desperation and fear are very well done and are quite intense. Then it all falls to shit when they introduce the big bad corporate cult conspiracy like anime often does and fails miserably at doing. It's quirky, which I liked, but not enough to save the show from mediocrity. Features: an amusing approximation of "America"; fashionable clothing; skinny anorexics; interesting noses; and a tendency for the characters to burst into song.

Song?

IS IT A MUSICAL?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

Song?

IS IT A MUSICAL?

No, they just like sing this song randomly. Note that the voice actresses aren't the best singers and the song is actually quite bad. It works kind of like "All along the Watchtowers" does in Battlestar Galactica, except it's not used in Red Garden to very great effect at all.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I was reading Hajime no Ippo (I'm at chapter 292) and
    the Kimura vs Mashiba fight is the most heart-wrenching battle ever. HE COULD SEE THE BELT. arrrrrrgh

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't really pay money for it. If you want to watch the first couple episodes online, you can probably stream them legally somewhere. The tone and style and what-not are pretty consistent from what I saw of it. I didn't watch a lot of it, and there is some fighting stuff later in the series that isn't really represented what you'll probably be able to find online and it's not particularly bad stuff.

Like, if I was going out to buy anime, there would be a lot of stuff I'd buy first. Unless 'on sale' means really cheap slimpaks or something.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    the Kimura vs Mashiba fight is the most heart-wrenching battle ever. HE COULD SEE THE BELT. arrrrrrgh

Only 600ish more chapters before you have to wait for your weekly fix!

Lep on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some real stealh weeaboo shit in here.

I'm off anime until I finish Avatar, the most anime non anime anime ever.

Of course I'm over halfway through with that.

Then I finish Baccanno! or however you spell it. Then I finish Dub Note. Should get me through to fall.

Oh I'm working through Avatar at the moment too but only halfway through the first season so far. It's a bit like Shrek where its enjoyable for kids and adults.
    Ergandar wrote: »
    I felt sorry for Kimura in that fight. It wasn't even one of the usual throwaway title matches that he and Aoki sometimes have either. The movie version they did was really good as well.

Ippo is probably one of my favourite series to follow, the pacing is always great and the comedy lightens things up. Since you have a number of boxers and they have a recovery period after each fight it flows together well.

Kelor on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009

The same Gonzo that went 5 years without a single real success which has ended in them being delisted from the stock market, being bought out, and firing 80% of their staff.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zek wrote: »

What the?

Bleach is in another filler arc again isn't it?

Sigh

They are very close to the manga right now, so no surprise.

This filler was written by Kubo though. And the episode has a interesting set up. Should be better then the Bounts or Captain Filler.
    Even official writing can't save filler from its critical weakness though, which is the fact that you know nothing permanent or significant will ever happen.

I had to go and check to see how they excused themselves into the filler. And I did chuckle at the fact it's explained by the characters as a studio exec decision. And since the filler was Kubo written I figured I check it out. 227 was based off the manga so ok. Then 228. And then my brain broke.

I for one find the start to this filler arc to be quite cool.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kubo written is a good thing?

NotYou on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Christ, Dorohedoro has some of the best manga art i've ever seen.
    06.jpg

05.jpg

So cool...

Godfather on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That chick is extremely thick

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The same Gonzo that went 5 years without a single real success which has ended in them being delisted from the stock market, being bought out, and firing 80% of their staff.
    Gankutsuou wasn't bad, which I guess was exactly 5 years ago.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bitching about aoi no hana spoilers
    so people are talking about how it's obviously lesbians and look at the OP! duh pika! but no, they're showing the achan as someone interested at boys but hey I already know what's going to happen since everyone said duh of course they're lesbians because we read the manga and duh look at the OP

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hear the show involves lesbians.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    umm... shows belong to genres.

I hear the next gundam series is going to have large robots.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And speaking of Gonzo, Saki 09
    Shit is about to get real. This is all I need to know.

Also thank god Taco is out of the picture.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redx wrote: »

Dude, spoilers

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

*snip*

So cool...

I hope you're being sarcastic. The girl on the first page looks bizarre...

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

*snip*

So cool...

That's the point

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

*snip*

So cool...

That's the point

Care to elaborate? All Wikipedia had to tell me was that people turn into lizards.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KnK6
    Blah, definitely could have used another 10-15 minutes to develop Satsuki. Considering some of the scenes they cut, it would have benefited Shiki's and Misaya's characters as well. I thought the intermission scene was particularly well-done though.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I jumped from episode 4 of Saki to ep11. Cause I'm only in it for Hisa.

Saki ep.11 spoilerised.
    Damn fine hair do she's sporting.

So guys, anymore good eps with Hisa?

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »
    KnK6
    Blah, definitely could have used another 10-15 minutes to develop Satsuki. Considering some of the scenes they cut, it would have benefited Shiki's and Misaya's characters as well. I thought the intermission scene was particularly well-done though.

Poor sacchin

Also, Summer Wars is out at the end of this week, and I found a synopsis thing.
    When timid eleventh-grader and math genius Kenji Koiso (Ryunosuke Kamiki) is asked by older student and secret crush Natsuki (Nanami Sakuraba) to come with her to her family's Nagano home for a summer job, he agrees without hesitation. Natsuki's family, the Jinnouchi clan, dates back to the Muromachi era (1336 to 1573), and they've all come together to celebrate the 90th birthday of the spunky matriarch of the family, Sakae. That's when Kenji discovers his "summer job" is to pretend to be Natsuki's fiance and dance with her at the birthday celebration. As Kenji attempts to keep up with Natsuki's act around her family, he receives a strange math problem on his cell phone which, being a math genius, he can't resist solving. As it turns out, the solution to the mysterious equation causes a bizarre parallel world to collide with Earth, and it's up to Kenji and his new fake family to put reality back in order.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm up to about ep. 7 of Saki
    Looks like this tournament is gonna be intense Also, someone said taco is out of the picture later? Is there anyone else who feels incredibly awkward when shes on screen? I mean, I have to make sure Chris Hansen isn't behind me, with her showing her panties to random guys and yelling about how she loves to "munch tacos!" D:

She also seems to be the only character i've seen so far who isn't a lesbian

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redx wrote: »

Not to mention anime has a specific genre for shows that contain lesbians!

Slicer on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Caught up with Saki, one thing:
    Man it sucks to be Kyoutaro, the token dude. They tell him straight up he's completely untalented and of no use, the team is entered in an all female tournament, all he does is fetch stuff and ask dumb questions for exposition, and he's hot for someone who he has NO shot with, on top of being stranded in the estrogen ocean of heavily implied lesbians, and the only play he could possibly get is from the literal taco muncher, in an ironic twist.

I hope he gets more to do besides carry heavy things. God, it sucks to be him.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    That chick is extremely thick

Like a milkshake. :winky:

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No damnit. She just likes mexican food!

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't even mean that she's ugly

She's just thick

Stout

Huge

Especially for Japan where skeletons are admired for their figure

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't even mean that she's ugly

She's just thick

Stout

Huge

Especially for Japan where skeletons are admired for their figure

I think she looks more like she has a hunchback.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I did point out that she's the only character who isn't a lesbian. :P

Edit: Taco, not whoever you guys are talking about

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like this tournament is gonna be intense Also, someone said taco is out of the picture later? Is there anyone else who feels incredibly awkward when shes on screen? I mean, I have to make sure Chris Hansen isn't behind me, with her showing her panties to random guys and yelling about how she loves to "munch tacos!" D:

about future episodes
    they take turns to play, and taco's first. so she's "out of the picture" when her match is done

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

*snip*

So cool...

That's the point

Care to elaborate? All Wikipedia had to tell me was that people turn into lizards.

It's just a very fucked-up world, and the art style compliments it.

It's a stylistic choice. For example, take a look at DeathChalupa's art thread in the AC:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=70546

If you're too lazy, here's some examples of his art (NSFW):
    freaky.jpg

sucks.jpg

Chalupa breaks the rules so well that he can get away with artistic murder in terms of the basics, and it's the same vibe i'm getting with this manga. We know that his proportions/perspective/etc are off at times, it's just that he bends the rules so well he can pull it off.

He's still breaking the rules while still being inside the box. That's very difficult to pull off.

As for the story, i'm gonna try and sum it up briefly: basically the main guy got his head turned into a lizard one, and he's trying to figure out who did it (amnesia and all that). Magic users are complete assholes in this world, and treat regular people as guinea pigs, hence the transfiguration. This girl helps him out I guess.

It's tough to describe.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pictures under spoilers still load, might want to just link them.

Slicer on
This discussion has been closed.