Options

Batman:Arkham Asylum - Out Now (PS3/360) Not Out Now (PC/EU/AU damnit)

• Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm wondering how easily accessible healing is going to be, since standing still doesn't recover anything.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, wait, my Bat sense tingled.

Did someone just ask why Batman can't use assault rifles?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how easily accessible healing is going to be, since standing still doesn't recover anything.

can't you crouch behind a waist high concrete block to regen your health?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wren wrote: »

Crouching is how you regen health? Cause I sat perched ontop of a gargoyle for a bit after being shot to shit and didn't heal at all.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

A tip popped up on my screen stating that beating up henchmen or finding hidden items (like the riddler clues) result in healing.

So, it's not health regen...it's gameplay related recovery without healthpacks, floating boxes with red cross symbols, etc.

Which I think I like, actually.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Near the beginning of the demo you walk past a first aid station, but the door is locked. I'm guessing there will probably be other first aid stations scattered throughout that will be open.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The game is phenomenal and KBAM support is beyond excellent. Got some slowdown even with a decent rig, but that's mostly after all the fighting has stopped and I'm running while bats are flying everywhere.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I want to fight the penguin

Why? Penguin can't fight for shit, he's best used as a mob boss. I can't see him taking orders from Joker etiher.

most of batman's villains can't fight for shit, or at least aren't anywhere near the master of all martial arts that bruce is, but they fight anyways. I mean the riddler is in this for gosh sake and he has a glass jaw. I just want to see the penguin and his many multi-purpose umbrellas.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The demo is so awesome and it looks great and runs so smooth on my computer, even with the volumetric fog and shit

The controls are taking a little getting used to, but it's okay because holy shit I'm Batman

Also what the hell I've seen two grates that are high on walls and I can't reach, they are taunting me with their hidden treasures

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Played the demo 4 times last night. Keep in mind I'm a huge Batman fan so this might contribute to my opinions. This is a god damn day 1 purchase. Spoilering this for people who haven't gotten to play yet.
    The demo is incredible. The combat is awesome, by my second time through I was flowing back and forth between thugs kicking their asses. It got a tad bit easy, but I think turning the difficulty up will solve that (especially removing the counter indicator). Also, I see a lot of the challenge being trying to string together the biggest combos you can, which is pretty rad.

Some of the counters/finishers are absolutely brutal. I winced more than once when I countered and it cut to a close up of Batman just mauling a dude. And the room where you take out those 4 guys in the room is just the best thing ever. The Joker taunting the henchmen as I pick them off is hilarious, especially with just one guy left - "Looks like it's just you and the Bat!" - and the guy starts shooting wildly. Then I glide kick him and do a ground finisher.

The environments are great, the character models are great, the voices are great (I'd forgotten how incredibly awesome Mark Hamil is as the Joker), and overall it exceeded my very, very high expectations.

tl;dr Game is awesome, if you like Batman or beating people up it will be the best thing ever.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    there's also some sort of trophy system through the main menu. looks like you can deck out batman or something and other unknown characters?

pimp my batman or is it just their 3d model?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bats is supposed to have one alternate costume unlocked after you beat the game, I believe. Can't remember where I heard that.

Do we know, now, that the counter indicator disappears on hard?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Bats is supposed to have one alternate costume unlocked after you beat the game, I believe. Can't remember where I heard that.

Do we know, now, that the counter indicator disappears on hard?

Could swear I saw it somewhere, don't remember off the top of my head.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish I could just skip to that final room and mess around with different methods of taking down the henchman.

My best "Batman" run was:
    1) Took out the first henchman with a silent takedown.
    2) Zipped up to a gargoyle and glided down to the central building. From there I smashed through the glass onto another, knocking him out cold, then zipping back up to the rafters.
    3) By this time they were starting to move as one around the area, covering all view points. But alas, one decided to split up from the group so I zipped to a gargoyle above him, dropping silently behind him and taking him down.
    4) They were really quite panicy at this point. I toyed with them a while, throwing batarangs into nearby scenery. I decided enough was enough and promptly hung one up from a gargoyle.
    5) The last man started shitting his pants at the sight of his friend hanging upside down from the ceiling and started shooting at shadows as he wandered around the area. I cut his friend down with a batarang, drawing his attention. Just the opening I needed to drop down behind him.

But I didn't attack. I stood there, waiting for him to turn around. He did, and I swiftly pummelled him into the ground.

All this time I wasn't seen until the very end.

But by then it didn't matter.

I am the goddamn Batman.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interview with Paul Dini
    Decent watch they talk abit about Arkham Asylum and some of the changes they made, why they used certain villians etc.

There's a couple more I found.

One with Conroy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvEtzqdgiE

He comments on Bale's Batman. :lol:

And one with game director Sefton Hill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qyj1S2YVE&feature=related

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wish I could just skip to that final room and mess around with different methods of taking down the henchman.

2) Zipped up to a gargoyle and glided down to the central building. From there I smashed through the glass onto another, knocking him out cold, then zipping back up to the rafters.
    3) By this time they were starting to move as one around the area, covering all view points. But alas, one decided to split up from the group so I zipped to a gargoyle above him, dropping silently behind him and taking him down.
    4) They were really quite panicy at this point. I toyed with them a while, throwing batarangs into nearby scenery. I decided enough was enough and promptly hung one up from a gargoyle.
    5) The last man started shitting his pants at the sight of his friend hanging upside down from the ceiling and started shooting at shadows as he wandered around the area. I cut his friend down with a batarang, drawing his attention. Just the opening I needed to drop down behind him.

But I didn't attack. I stood there, waiting for him to turn around. He did, and I swiftly pummelled him into the ground.

I am the goddamn Batman.

Wait, wait, how do you just glide? My only complaint was once on the Gargoyle I couldnt target and grapple to the central building.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I am the goddamn Batman.

Wait, wait, how do you just glide? My only complaint was once on the Gargoyle I couldnt target and grapple to the central building.

If you tap x ( ps3 ) while on a gargoyle or similar you fall to the ground silently. If you look in a direction and hold x you glide until you release the button.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I am the goddamn Batman.
    If you tie a guy up from a gargoyle early on, the others will investigate. It freaks them the fuck out if while they're standing there looking at their buddy, you cut him down with a batarang. :lol:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hate to ask like this but does anyone have a spare 48 hour xboxlive code?

I want to download the demo but I'm on silver. :(

Zerokku on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've tried but I haven't been able to cut a dude down and have him land on another dude

They've been careful not to stand directly underneath the guy which is lame

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I am the goddamn Batman.

Hold Spacebar on PC.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow.

Wow.

This is the second game these people have ever made? I am literally in awe. If this demo is any indication, this game will be a frigging masterpiece. Fantastic job, Rocksteady.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I must say, this version of the Joker really gives me the creeps. His comments on letting whoever kills Batman surprise-sex Harley as a reward was.... ugh.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Except that Harley would probably kill anyone who came near her, which is what makes it funnier, because their reward is essentially getting shanked.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want to fight the penguin

Why? Penguin can't fight for shit, he's best used as a mob boss. I can't see him taking orders from Joker etiher.

most of batman's villains can't fight for shit, or at least aren't anywhere near the master of all martial arts that bruce is, but they fight anyways. I mean the riddler is in this for gosh sake and he has a glass jaw. I just want to see the penguin and his many multi-purpose umbrellas.

I don't really see the point. The umbrellas are a terrible gimmick and reduce him to a bit of a laughing stock. He's WAY more interesting when he's running his gang (just read No Mans Land).
    Except that Harley would probably kill anyone who came near her, which is what makes it funnier, because their reward is essentially getting shanked.

Paul Dini wrote the story so chances are, this version of Harley has never killed anyone and would do whatever Joker told her to do. Though Joker would get jealous anyway, so they'd still end up dead.
    also why can't I use any of the assault rifles? the batarang is pretty weak

o_O Words escape me...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aside from the floatyness of the camera and the attempt at hardcore realistic grahics, the game is fantastic for a comic fan. I just wish they had gone for a more cell shaded animated look, but I'm sure by the time I have played through the game I will have adjusted to it.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

o_O Words escape me...

I think he wants this thread.

Also, batarangs should be in every game.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure how well the grittiness of Arkham would have showed through in a cell-shaded setting though. I think this way definitely gives more of a punch to just how shitty a place it really is.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This game feels so batman.

Stupid PC release being pushed back.

Holy shit I cannot wait.

Khavall on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I am the goddamn Batman.
    If you tie a guy up from a gargoyle early on, the others will investigate. It freaks them the fuck out if while they're standing there looking at their buddy, you cut him down with a batarang. :lol:

I like doing that early on (string a guy up from a gargoyle). Give the thugs a little warning, you're dealing with Batman now.

In all, demo was way too short too give me any sort of opinion on the game, but nice way they incorporated camera angles alongside the different takedowns looked cool.

Plus what really impressed me was when I was knocking out dudes and they didn't just collapse into awkward ragdoll heaps. When a guy's clutching at his head like that as he goes lights out, you know just from watching it that the hit was probably really freaking painful.

One thing that's a shame though is that they didn't have all the voice cast in the same room when recording. I know it's not as easily done with games, but it's one of the reasons the dialogue and characters in the BTAS series worked so well, everyone was able to play their lines off of each other. That and the lack of proper emotion on anyone's faces gave me a bit of weirdness early on. It sounds like BTAS, but without the facial expressions to match it loses some of the impact. If Half-Life 2 tought us one thing it was how valuable good facial expression can be in a game.

On the whole that's probably a minor point, but hey, I haven't got much to work with right now.

Combat was smooth and free flowing, and I'm sure I'll be able to get to grips with it and have some nice combo's going. Quick question though, how do you perform a throw on the PC version? I tried Shift + LMB but it doesn't seem to work. Also, is a "combat takedown" (shift + RMB according to the menu) different from a "ground takedown" (control + RMB)? Because I tried to do one of those but couldn't either. Both of those are ones that use the shift key according to the menu, and I don't know whether they just described it incorrectly or I'm doing it wrong.

subedii on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I looked at the journal entry for
    The Great White Shark
    in the op, its wrong. D:
    His face wasn't taken off by Mr. Freeze it was by Jane Doe.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He lost his lips to frostbite because of Freeze.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I didn't try this.. but when you've got a guy in a choke hold or whatever, can you drag them?

It would be really badass if you could drag bodies and hide them.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like how streamlined the controls feel. Sure it makes taking out thugs feel easy, but it also makes it feel a lot more fast and intuitive. It also looks really smooth when you've got a flow going. Besides, you're the Goddamn Batman! You should feel like you have complete control against common thugs. The combat system seems like it's about chaining together combo's more so than it is "can you survive?", which works really well. Especially when I chain together enough combo's that I can flip a guy over and snap his arms and legs. That is the best part of the free flow combat.

I can't wait to try hard mode though to get rid of the silly "bat sense" on top of the thugs heads.

Wut.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't try this.. but when you've got a guy in a choke hold or whatever, can you drag them?

It would be really badass if you could drag bodies and hide them.

No it looks like they stay where you drop them. The other inmates find them and start panicking. Sometimes they fire blindly at things if they're the only one left.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I know the reaction they have to bodies, I just thought it'd be cool to hang everyone from the ceiling or something. :P

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've played through the demo (pc) twice now... and I have to say this is how a demo should be. No bugs that I can find, runs smooth.

It does its job as a demo, in that I am here dying to play more. Nothing about this demo feels forced. The control scheme on the PC feels very fluid, and not clunky like more ports tend to be. ( Not saying this is a port, but you know what I mean ).

All in all, I am having a blast with it - and it went from a maybe purchase on sale to a day one purchase because of this demo.

Bravo.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I know the reaction they have to bodies, I just thought it'd be cool to hang everyone from the ceiling or something. :P

Yeah, those "Predator" moments just feel so fun. Wouldn't be surprised to see a reskin on PC if it's easy enough to do. (yes, it would be silly.) Hell, I already feel like the Predator in that last section.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Batman doesn't use guns. His goal isn't to kill.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/