As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] IC/OOC - Dungeon Delve - Surprise!

• Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think you've misread the description - we're not on the top floor - we're just about to hit the top floor and from where we are, we can see that there is no roof. Is that right?

soxbox on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    soxbox wrote: »
    I think you've misread the description - we're not on the top floor - we're just about to hit the top floor and from where we are, we can see that there is no roof. Is that right?

You sir, are correct. I assumed you wouldn't go barging onto what looks like the top floor. I had written it so you could stealth or make other checks if you wished before proceeding up to the top.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In that case, feel entirely free to ignore my post in its entirety.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, so far our stealth is in the 12-14 area, so I'm guessing we're not sneaking up on anybody? - I don't think there's anything else other than perception that we'd want to roll (Dulran is the only one of us capable of beating Tanir's 25 perception).

Unless Tanir's heard/seen anything from that that might change our plans, I'd be fine with you just rolling stealth for the rest of us if its needed and also initiatives as we move (probably obliviously and noisily) up the stairs.

Oh, though I'll Arcana: 1d20+7 15 check too to see if we feel any more detail on that magic above us we felt earlier - since 15 probably doesn't mean much, I'll ask around to see if anybody else has any idea - though if sonna and I can't work it out, I don't know who can.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Results of arcana:
    As you climbed higher in the tower, those that have been trained in arcana started to feel the twinge you felt earlier grow to what could only be described as an overwhelming arcane power source. Even those that have no training in the arcane can start to feel some sort of powerful magical presence.

Perception Results:
    Climbing up the stairs to reach what appears to be the top floor reveals quite a view. You are now almost 60 feet from the ground, and what is now the top floor of the tower is now open to the air. The view to the south is unhindered by walls, and you would imagine that your view in the near dusk sky is at least a mile, if not more. The north wall on remains intact, though it only climbs 5 feet before it abruptly ends. From what you can see, it looks as though the stairs continue another 10-15 feet into the air, though they now connect to nothing.

Looking around, you find that you are not the only occupants of the "room." Just as Gorn had told you, there are 5 creatures in the room with you. The wolves he spoke of are present, along with another goblin who looks rather scrawny. The large one he spoke of you recognize as not a hobgoblin, but a hulking bugbear. The oversized creature carries an intimidating morningstar. The last creature in the room is sitting on what looks like a stone throne in the corner. He looks like he was at one point a goblin, though his skin is now gray and wrinkled. He wears a crown on his head, though the skin around where the throne sits is scarred and seems to seep some black liquid. His eyes are glazed over, now a murky gray instead of a red. When the creature sees you he stands from his throne and draws a sword. When he speaks, he doesn't have the voice of common goblin, instead the voice is deep and booming. "By the power of Bane, you shall not leave this place!" His voice seems to echo from the mountains in the distance. Pointing his sword at his bodyguards, he says, "Destroy them all!"

Initiative!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tanir draws his hood, ghostly blue spectral energy radiating from his eyes as he calls upon the power of his god. "By the power of Kelemvor..."

He draws his sword and stands ready to strike.

Initiative: 1d20+7=20

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eran readies himself, delaying as he tries to take stock of the battlefield before him. He finally settles his sights on the goblin seated on the throne and gestures his plan to the others.

Initiative: 1d20+5 15

As I thought, Mudgutt sounds like the guy to smash down quick-smart. If I'm within a 5-square teleport of the boss, I say Tiriara, Tanir and myself stacks-on him before he unleashes some form of magic chair-power and the others on the mob? Unless there's monsters in the initiative before me, I'd say Tanir oathing then ready an action to use the angelic alacrity to smash him down once i make that attack to give us them tasty-tasty bonuses (the oathing so that I can use divine guidance if necessary). Tiriara should also delay to get those attack bonuses in too.

I've also got my adaptive strategem to give a damage bonus away - will probably be giving that to Tiriara as it goes down a treat with multi-attack powers - I don't want to use it in the first round however, as I can alternatively use it to give a saving-throw bonus... want to wait until there's any dangerous save-ends threats about before using that up.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Kelemvor?" the goblin ponders out loud. "Surely you know that he and I have aided each other in the past. I have much to offer you, Elf, should you choose to rekindle an old alliance..." The goblin speaks as though his knowledge of Bane's history were his own.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Remember to call out for Divine Guidance if you miss on a big Encounter Power or a Daily that really needs to hit!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir spits. "Undead, demonic scum. I shall wipe your filthy form from this land."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The laughter that erupts from the goblin's form shakes the foundations of the tower. "Fool! It will take more than killing this subservient to rid me of this land! If you refuse to join with me, then you shall be eliminated with the rest of them!" His voice continues to shake the tower, the echoes off the mountains creating a rolling thunder in the background as pitch black clouds begin to form in the sky above.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir's form begins to glow an icy blue, and when he speaks his voice is lower and seems to resonate. "Then I shall hunt you, across the land, until every trace has been eradicated. I shall follow you to the ends of the world. Wherever you rest, I will find you. Where your touch leaves corruption, I shall purify it."

"I will see you broken and ended, monster!"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "You think you can destroy a god, mortal?" His voice grows louder, and now seems to echo from the clouds growing in the sky. "After your life is finished I shall live another 100. Words from an overconfident elf do not scare the All Powerful Bane." As the name of the deity is spoken, it appears to come not from the goblin, but from the sky itself. The goblin then points his sword at Tanir, and, locking eyes with him, says, "Now fight, Elf of Kelemvor, should you find yourself worthy."

The sun that was visible as you walked into the open sky is now completely blacked out by the clouds, and thunder rolls in the sky above.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "This is not what I expected to find here. I think we would do well to end this quickly."

Initiative: 1d20+7 12

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "This is rubbish."

Sonna pulls her sword from its scabbard, twirls it once, and grips the hilt tight in her fingers, the weapon coming alive with an audible "vwmm", a golden glow radiating from the length of the blade. She assumes her stance, her sword hand brought up near her face, her other hand outstretched before her, fingers splayed.

"I know enough of the gods to know they can be killed. Let's end this."

Initiative: 1d20+1 9

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I get the feeling that radiant damage may be wicked awesome against the scary undead god goblin.

Actually, Kuhlmeye, can you confirm his undead-ness/vulnerability to radiant damage? If he's undead I am going to Abjure Undead the shit out of him.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "You shall stop like the stilled deer, black man."

Initiative: 1d20+5 25

Guess I'm delaying anyway.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arivia, have I mentioned how much I love your character?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nope! Thanks!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, the goblin is still very much alive, just wrinkly and gray. Actually, if you want to roll an arcana check, it might help determine just what is going on.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My arcana sucks...here goes nothin'! Sonna, wanna help me out? >.>

1d20+2=22

Okkaayyyy apparently Tanir knows everything there is to know about magic ever.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arcana: 1d20+10 26

SONNA STILL KNOWS MORE

GET OUT

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And Tiriara thinks the sky is magic. Also, alcohol. Stoli is the [eternal/best] power source.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arcana 20+
    From training in your past(Sonna) or having seen it before in the past(Tanir), you recognize what has happened to who you only assume was once Maddgutt. The goblin has been cursed in some way, though you cant be sure. The glazed over eyes you determine to be caused by some sort of domination, though the wrinkled skin and black ooze remains a mystery.

Arcana 25+
    You are finally able to pinpoint the source of the extreme magical energy. The crown worn by the goblin is radiating a type of magic you have never encountered before, and is more powerful than you have ever seen.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wow, I hadn't even noticed that everyone had rolled initiative. Post incoming soonish!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Don't need much narration here, think we have that covered with Tanir's back and forth with Maddgutt.

Map:
    3-1.png
    A couple notes that weren't in the narration earlier:
    The blue circle appears to be some sort of power circle. It's a minor action Arcana or Religion DC 12 to determine its affect.
    The blue cloud in the north-east corner appears to be a large assortment of dirty cloths, mattresses and blankets. It is treated as normal terrain.
    There is NO WALL on the southern part of the room, and then a 60 foot drop to the ground below.

Tiriara
    HP: 31/31 AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/8

B
    HP: 76/76 AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 14

M
    HP: 110/110 AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 16

W1
    HP: 38/38 AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 13

W2

GB
    HP: 25/25 AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 11

Tanir
    HP: 33/38 AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16 Surges: 5/8

Eran
    HP: 23/33 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/7

Dulran
    HP: 20/30 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 16 Surges: 3/8

Sonna
    HP: 30/41 AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 6/11

We're going to try a different way of running initiative this time. Instead of being bound by numbers and order, feel free to act in anytime within the block of you guys. Since Tiriara is the only one who beat the bad dudes, she gets a chance to go before all of them, but will then join you in the block.

So, essentially after Tiriara goes, the order will be:
    THEM
    YOU
    with no particular order. Anyone can act at anytime with in the YOU part. This should make it more interesting, remove waiting on initiative order, and help you all with strategies.

Something that will help everyone: When you take your action, please include a list of those still to go at the end of your post. When the bad guys go I'll post:
    UP NEXT: Sonna, Tanir, Tiriara, Eran, Dulran
    in no particular order. If Eran were the first to take an action, he would post:
    UP NEXT: Sonna, Tanir, Tiriara, Dulran
    and so on and so forth.

If this is confusing in anyway, let me know. If you don't like this, let me know. I'd like to give a try for at least one encounter, to see how it goes and if people like it. If you don't like it, we can try other things. If you do like it, we might keep doing it.

UP NEXT: Tiriara
    ON DECK: Bad dudes

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm thinking best case is i try and blow away the goblin or a wolf, else this turn is going to hurt.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Indeed - I'd say the gob as he's least likely to survive. Blowing your action point to get somebody dead now might not be a bad idea either. Also, using your move action to get sundamar somewhere tanky would be a good idea also.

That bunch of mattresses - is that something that has any effect on anything? What check would we need to find out? Perception? Nature?

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ummm... Nature would probably be best.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nature: 1d20+10 23

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nature Result
    From your time in the wild, you have surely encountered goblins before. You know that they like to make "nests" in which they sleep. You also know that their nests are almost never suitable anything other than goblins. The smell coming off this nest is especially pungent. You would imagine that being anything more than ankle deep in the soiled bedding would probably knock even the strongest person out.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So sounds like "don't stand there if you can help it, and for god's sake, don't get knocked prone there". That and the cliff over the south side of the room spells trouble to me - we've only got a few places where we can safely stand. Lucky none of these guys sound like AOE type guys. I say Tanir and I will concentrate on getting madgutt dead - everybody else focus fire on the gob, then the wolves - attack the most dead thing first. Leave the bugbear till last - he's too tough to take down quickly.

Try and make sure there's room so that Tiriara can stay safely at range - Dulran's probably best in beast form - keep an eye out for opportunities to use savage rend to push people off the edge - combined with one of sonna's luring strikes and/or adding a commander's strike from me can give us a fair bit of movement. Getting the bugbear off the edge instead of having to fight him properly would be awesome.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sundamar leaps forward to defend the party, as Tiriara fires two flurries of arrows at the goblin. The first only wounds it, but after a pause and a breath, her second takes it down.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on GB
    Standard:Twin Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 23 1d10+1 10 1d20+9 13 1d10+1 3 1d6 3
    GB is at 12 hp
    Move: Sundamar to D4
    Action Point!
    Standard: Twin Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 23 1d10+1 8 1d20+9 25 1d10+1 5
    GB is dead!

Enemies Ho!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One of the wolves and the bugbear converge on Sundamar, both taking attacks at the cat. The wolf's bite is easily block by Sundamar, but the bugbear's huge morningstar finds its mark, badly injuring the cat.
    The other wolf moves in to bite Tanir, but it's attack misses the avenger.

Maddgutt moves from his throne into the blue circle. He starts chanting some words under his breath as the lightning from the clouds above starts to strike the ground around the tower.

W1:
    A4->B4
    Bites Tanir: 10 (AC) Miss

W2:
    C2->C3
    Bites Sundamar: 9 (AC) Miss

B:
    E2->E3
    Attacks Sundamar: 16 (AC) Hits
    17 Damage

M:
    B1->C0
    Prepares an Action

Map
    3-2.png

Status
    Tiriara
    HP: 31/31 AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/8

B
    HP: 76/76 AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 14

M
    HP: 110/110 AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 16

W1

W2

GB
    HP: 0/25 AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 11

Tanir
    HP: 33/38 AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16 Surges: 5/8

Eran
    HP: 23/33 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/7

Dulran
    HP: 20/30 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 16 Surges: 3/8

Sonna
    HP: 30/41 AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 6/11

Sundamar
    HP: 13/30 AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 2/2 | Bloodied

UP NEXT: Sonna, Tanir, Dulran, Eran, Tiriara

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is the throne blocked terrain, or can I move through/into the squares that have it?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You would have to step up on the throne, which requires no check.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I assume I can attack people while standing on it?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yes

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir runs towards the chanting goblin and brings his sword down upon, opening a large wound in his chest. He then strikes it again, dancing back as he does so and causing the goblin to stumble forward.

Minor: Oath of Enmity on M
    Standard: Angelic Alacrity on M: I shift to B0; 1d20+9,1d20+9=25,20 Hit!, 24 damage
    Action Point! Overwhelming Strike on M: 1d20+9,1d20+9=15,16 Miss!
    Elven Accuracy reroll: 21, 16 Hit!, 10 damage; I pull him to B0 and shift to A0

Sonna, Dulran, Eran, Tiriara

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eran pulls himself down, swirling into the feywild and emerges with his sword firmly embedded in Madgutt's flesh. On pulling his sword away, madgutt's armor tears away, leaving him exposed for attack and struggling to defend himself against the onslaught that is soon to follow.

Move: Fey Step to C1
    Standard: Lead the Attack vs AC on Madgutt: 1d20+9 26 3d8+4 14 - Allies with 5 squares of me (which is everybody!) now has a +5 to hit on Madgutt until end of encounter.
    Minor: Adaptive Strategem on ummm... Sonna? (If you're not planning on action-pointing this turn, I'll use it on Tiriara instead). +3 to damage on all attacks.

Tanir didn't need to use his elven accuracy - since he was using an action point to make the attack, he got a +2 from me, so he got an 18 on his original hit. Madgutt has 62HP remaining. Also note that the map isn't accurate - the wolf in A4 is actually in B4.

Dulran - if you move to E4 and get two hits in with Savage rend and an action point you can push that bugbear off the edge.

Up Next: Sonna, Dulran, Tiriara

soxbox on