Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Assassin is out! GO GO GO!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EDIT: I mean, in the very least, I'll be bummed if the only place I can get a physical copy of this is some shitty printouts on my 10 year old printer.
    *hugs the office Phaser*
    Gotta love full colour double-sided printouts on 120gsm paper...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Anyone know if Revenants are going to be in the D&D insider hardcover volume 1? I'd like to use them, but I don't feel like subscribing to the DDI unless I need to.
    I don't think they're ever going to be printed anywhere, at least not officially. They're supposed to be "exclusive content" for "subscribers only" which would be slightly negated if anybody could go buy a book with them in. This goes for all the other DDi exclusive stuff like the Assassin.

At least, that's the impression I got from the various forum posts on the matter.

Ugh. That sucks.

Thanks for digging that up, though.

EDIT: I mean, in the very least, I'll be bummed if the only place I can get a physical copy of this is some shitty printouts on my 10 year old printer.

It's been stated in one of the earlier ampersands (I think) where they announced this that DDI exclusive material is literally exclusive. You can only get it from a DDI subscrition such as in the Character Builder and from Dragon. They will not be published in print.

Further support for those classes will be in DDI only as well. So a new DDI class will not get support in future PHBs or associated "X power" books. They will get updates in DDI only.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ravensmuse wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    If that article amused you, you'll love these posts from Usenet back in the day.

On an odd, related note, I'm considering adding Grognardia to my daily reads, which is...weird.

Wish I could think of a way to toss our oWoD / nWoD discussion back at you through this, but eh, it's quarter to eight and I'm not thinking straight.

How was the pie?

Yeah, if I posted there the resulting explosion would likely look like this. But whatever. It's an interesting read, that's all I'm saying; and after taking a break from the fandom/systems nazism, I appreciate it a lot more than I used to.

Good, although the crust didn't turn out too well (not really my fault.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Anyone know if Revenants are going to be in the D&D insider hardcover volume 1? I'd like to use them, but I don't feel like subscribing to the DDI unless I need to.
    I don't think they're ever going to be printed anywhere, at least not officially. They're supposed to be "exclusive content" for "subscribers only" which would be slightly negated if anybody could go buy a book with them in. This goes for all the other DDi exclusive stuff like the Assassin.

At least, that's the impression I got from the various forum posts on the matter.

Ugh. That sucks.

Thanks for digging that up, though.

It's been stated in one of the earlier ampersands (I think) where they announced this that DDI exclusive material is literally exclusive. You can only get it from a DDI subscrition such as in the Character Builder and from Dragon. They will not be published in print.

Further support for those classes will be in DDI only as well. So a new DDI class will not get support in future PHBs or associated "X power" books. They will get updates in DDI only.

What's the point of having a print compilation of Dragon magazine then if they're just going to leave stuff out and force one to get a subscription anyway?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They are publishing some of their stuff in the print collection.

DDI exclusive material is exactly that, it's FOR subscribers and nobody else. This is why they have the "DDI exclusive" tags on the Revenant and things like the Assassin. The Dragon book will have some of the better articles like the Cormyr FR article and such.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If that article amused you, you'll love these posts from Usenet back in the day.

On an odd, related note, I'm considering adding Grognardia to my daily reads, which is...weird.

Wish I could think of a way to toss our oWoD / nWoD discussion back at you through this, but eh, it's quarter to eight and I'm not thinking straight.

How was the pie?

Yeah, if I posted there the resulting explosion would likely look like this. But whatever. It's an interesting read, that's all I'm saying; and after taking a break from the fandom/systems nazism, I appreciate it a lot more than I used to.

Good, although the crust didn't turn out too well (not really my fault.)

A lot of classic DnD stuff is interesting to read, only reading that blog on a constant basis would probably end up making me crankier than I ever was on rpg.net.

I might just take you up on that Changeling challenge some day soon, fyi.

Sorry to hear about your pie. Maybe next time.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What's the point of having a print compilation of Dragon magazine then if they're just going to leave stuff out and force one to get a subscription anyway?
    There is no "print collection of Dragon" - there is instead a series of "best of" books; the majority of Dragon content will also never be printed by WotC anyway. That aside, marking certain stuff as exclusive to subscribers adds value to the subscription - people who are paying a monthly fee for a service like to know that the service isn't going to be supplanted down the line by a substantially cheaper one-off purchase.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it's not a compilation of Dragon articles it's just them publishing some of their dragon material in print form. I think this is a good idea myself, as a lot of people won't subscribe to DDI and IMO there are some really high quality articles in Dragon that may otherwise be missed.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's wrong with Grognardia? I love that blog.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »

Posh you are like a hundred years old and I love you for being the only guy on here I know of that's more ancient than me.

I'm reading some of his older posts and reminiscing about Traveller and the Stauni (could be Stauri, can't remember) bounty hunter I had. I think most of his stuff came from old White Dwarf articles.

Why did I bin all those old issues of White Dwarf (from the forties to the early hundreds)? It feels like an act of gross vandalism now.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I wish I hadn't got rid of my ancient copies of dungeon/dragon and white dwarf.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bogart wrote: »

Posh you are like a hundred years old and I love you for being the only guy on here I know of that's more ancient than me.

I'm reading some of his older posts and reminiscing Traveller and the Stauni bounty hunter I had. I think most of his stuff came from old White Dwarf articles.

Why did I bin all those old issues of White Dwarf (from the forties to the early hundreds)? It feels like an act of gross vandalism now.

I'm 39. <sobs>
    I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Man and I feel old at 26.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Traveller was great in that you had a whole little backstory, even for a character who died during character creation (yes, that's silly, I know, now get off my lawn).

You'd get fond memories of the scout who served for 20 years, his body deteriorating as his mind grew sharper, and how the last term of service netted him excellent weapon skills but then resulted in his death.

He gave his best years to the service and what did it get him????

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I suspect you of cognitive Benjamin-Buttonism.

Your 90s should be a hoot.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If I ever have any free time (hah!) I should make an OP about old D&D modules.

Just the titles send a shiver of nostalgia down my pants:

The Keep on the Borderlands, City State of the Invincible Overlord, Village of Hommlet, Tegel Manor, Vault of the Drow, Assassin's Knot, Ravenloft, Castle Amber

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    White Dwarf used to have tons of cool little articles for every system under the sun, as well as a reviews section that felt managed to be fairly unbiased even when reviewing GW's own stuff. Fiend Factory churned out new monsters every month, and smartly written bits about trap design, plot hooks and so forth gave me a much-needed helping hand when it came to DMing.

I have fond memories of their adventures (my PbP here was based off one of them), the fantastic book review column (I bought a collected edition of Langford's reviews - still the most incisive and succint I've found in the field) and of course Thrud.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    White Dwarf was cool when you had Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, because although I though WFR was in itself pretty awful the scenarios and stuff they could come up with were awesome. The other brilliant thing with WFR was the "dungeon tiles" they produced, which could be invaluable for DnD as when we played 2nd edition we used miniatures and movement in squares. That's right, we were playing with models and squares well before 3rd edition came out and everyone said we were doing it wrong.

TAKE THAT HA!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    White Dwarf was good before it became a Warhammer in-house publication.

I think people have a hard time getting how information didn't flow in the days before the net.

White Dwarf was a godsend.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Pssh, you are.

=P

I read that grognardia article, style was ok, but I agree with whoever posted earlier that said basically that reading it regularly would lead to endless bitterness. =P

Delmain on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I ever have any free time (hah!) I should make an OP about old D&D modules.

Just the titles send a shiver of nostalgia down my pants:

The Keep on the Borderlands, City State of the Invincible Overlord, Village of Hommlet, Tegel Manor, Vault of the Drow, Assassin's Knot, Ravenloft, Castle Amber

I was thinking of asking in the old-school D&D thread about good original/1st ed modules and where I could find them easily for cheap or for free online. My brother and I were talking about his idea for a dying earth genre story setting and after reading the Swords & Wizardry OD&D revival game I thought the two would go together snazzily.

I just need a good picture of how games were run back then. Maybe S&W has some good new ones on their website.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think WotC have some old modules on their download page.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    I just need a good picture of how games were run back then. Maybe S&W has some good new ones on their website.

Like now, but with bigger collars and worse hair.

Bogart on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Everything is drawn bigger now except the mustaches.

Also, chances were greater your DM didn't know how to not be a dick.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Quick straw poll fellas: Assume you work for WotC Cust. Suppt. Some dude wants to install the Character Builder, but is having trouble updating to the latest version. After a certain amount of back and forth, it transpires that he is trying to install on his office machine at work and may or may not be using an illegitimately obtained administrator password to do so. Further, he is now insisting that you fix it so that he can run the CB at work despite any and all restrictions placed on the machine by the company.

Do you:
    1. Find out his work address and report him for probable breach of contract
    2. Ask him politely to attempt to install the CB on a machine he actually owns
    3. Close the support ticket and refuse all further contact regarding this matter
    4. Tell him where to shove his subscription
    5. All of the above

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A.

Don't lose your job over it, subtly figure out where he works and call from home.

Delmain on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd say... B

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That's practically fossilised around here. You should be in a museum!
    Says the other 26 year old.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    f. Tell him to contact his network administrator to open the ports needed for his character builder.

(Same outcome as a. with you doing nothing but being helpful :D )

Dajian on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you work in Customer Support, I'd say it's not your job to pass judgement. Simply inform the customer that administrative rights are required to install the program, and you cannot work around the issue without those rights. I'm not exactly sure what an illegitimately obtained admin password has to do with it; either the password works and the program installs or it doesn't and it doesn't.

Edit: Whee, TotP, so I'll also say answer D because WHOO CONFRONTATION!

Rius on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    27 in nine days! :)

Posh, do a write up and put it in the Old School thread.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Quick straw poll fellas: Assume you work for WotC Cust. Suppt. Some dude wants to install the Character Builder, but is having trouble updating to the latest version. After a certain amount of back and forth, it transpires that he is trying to install on his office machine at work and may or may not be using an illegitimately obtained administrator password to do so. Further, he is now insisting that you fix it so that he can run the CB at work despite any and all restrictions placed on the machine by the company.

Do you:
    1. Find out his work address and report him for probable breach of contract
    2. Ask him politely to attempt to install the CB on a machine he actually owns
    3. Close the support ticket and refuse all further contact regarding this matter
    4. Tell him where to shove his subscription
    5. All of the above

"I'm going to advise against installing at your workstation. Your company might have system software that prevents you from installing the program... and though I don't know where you work it might be something that would get you fired! Would you be able to install the Character Builder on a computer you have at home?"

So I guess that is "B"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Option FU: "Sir, stop being a douchebag or I'll have to call your manager and have him terminate you. Oh, and you owe me $80 for the half hour I'll never get back. We'll charge that to the same card you paid for Insider with. Have a nice day, asshole."

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bogart wrote: »

I'm reading some of his older posts and reminiscing Traveller and the Stauni bounty hunter I had. I think most of his stuff came from old White Dwarf articles.

I'm 39. <sobs>
    I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

40 is the new 20, posh.

I'm 32 and I've managed to convince myself I'm looking forward to it.

Good on ya!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You know, I have been discussion the Psion class with people and I really hope what they released over DDI isn't the final class.

IIRC (I'm old, I forget things :P)

Their claim for anything that will be in PHB 3 is that we are not getting a playtest, we are getting final content.

Though this is a bit of a bold claim that may be intended to make we subscribers feel as if we are really "on the inside" with D&D Insider... I wouldn't be surprised if they are still working on it, or would be more inclined to do so if more people emailed them the sort of long and detailed post about the problems with Psion that you made here.

Like yourself, for example.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    How does the Psion work as a crowd controller? I mean, -4-8 to all defenses is a badass single target debuff, but are they affective at rerouting and interfering with multiple enemies, or are they a one trick pony?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    I hope there's interest in an online sheet viewer, it's kind of a Myth-Weavers replacement for people with Character Builder. People will be able to just select their local .dnd4e sheet and then it will be publicly viewable for all, complete with compendium links for those who have DDI to view your info. I should hopefully have a demo up this week.

Should be great for players and DMs with DDI, MW seems to not only be taking too long to get it CB compatible but are also working on making their sheets fully Flash which is ick.

I think iplay4e.com does this, and I am able to access it from my iPod/Phone.

Edit: Beat'd.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Horseshoe wrote:
    Though this is a bit of a bold claim that may be intended to make we subscribers feel as if we are really "on the inside" with D&D Insider... I wouldn't be surprised if they are still working on it, or would be more inclined to do so if more people emailed them the sort of long and detailed post about the problems with Psion that you made here.

Like yourself, for example.

I personally feel they should be, if they are still working on the monk they should look at the Pison as it has gigantic mechanical flaws.

I was telling TSI about it on MSN and after an objection as my example has both a Warlord and a Psion - so the example could be pretty biased when you're stacking that much stuff together I did it again. I used my IRL groups characters again, this time I put the Warlock in instead of the Warlord (I had seven players in that game). So no leader in other words, which was interesting in itself and then re-ran the fight.

The basic thing that happened is the non-Warlord party struggled too much and eventually got TPKed.

The Psion hit Dagon on the first round (needed a 8+ with Distant Advantage, it targets Will afterall) and then that made it virtually an auto-hit (2+, 3+ without CA). He action pointed and used Dishearten to impose a -8 to Dagons attacks. The Warden then used Mountain Hammer for a -7 to Dagons attacks. Dagons first round did almost nothing essentially and using an Orb I discovered (Orb of Inevitable Continuance) he could extend the -8 to defenses penalty and attack to keep up the -8 to all attacks (with a 5% chance of failing to do that). This essentially meant their first 4 rounds did so much damage + status effects (due to virtually no chance of missing) that Dagon was utterly crippled. They got through it and then Ammon (ordinarily pretty hard himself) suffered the same grim fate.

I can't emphasize enough how absurdly overpowered a -8 penalty to all defenses "at-will" power is, especially when it targets will (the weakest defense in the game) and ensures it auto-hits every round after the first time you use it.
    OptimusZed wrote:
    How does the Psion work as a crowd controller?

How does a -8 penalty to every creature in a burst 1 at-will sound? Because that's what dishearten will let you do :P Other than some utility powers, I never needed to use anything except Dishearten and Mind Thrust.

And honestly, why would I?

Edit: And yeah, I've emailed Wizards about these things.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dajian wrote: »
    f. Tell him to contact his network administrator to open the ports needed for his character builder.

(Same outcome as a. with you doing nothing but being evil :D )

Fixed

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm playing 4e, I know the FR like the back of my hand and I firmly believe in the New World of Darkness as a vehicle for high-concept roleplaying. I...am not in its target audience.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.